Author Topic: cheapest protein source  (Read 6895 times)

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
cheapest protein source
« on: September 16, 2011, 11:32:53 PM »
i just found a store that sells a can of tuna for about a dollar,got about 45g of protein in it...should i be worry of the mercury content?it taste like cardboards though..
T

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: cheapest protein source
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 04:21:32 AM »
Tuna is a healthy food choice, but no: I would not make it your primary food source.

As for taste, I usually drain as much water as possible from the can and add a generous shot of olive oil.
It's still not very palatable, but compared to plain tuna, it's a considerable improvement - and a healthy one at that.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 09:40:59 AM »
Mercury Calculator:

http://www.gotmercury.org/article.php?list=type&type=75

Put in your weight and ounces of what kind of seafood you'll eat in a week and see how low to high the dose is for your body (according to that site anyway).
R

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 01:36:42 PM »
tuna actually isnt the cheapest protein source. at least not for me. ive done the research and whey protein is actually the cheapest. for meat products, chicken breast is up there, if you buy bulk frozen breasts its about the same price as tuna. it depends on the fat content your willing to accept though as sometimes you can find fattier cuts of meat for cheaper per g of protein. like 70% lean ground beef i believe is about the cheapest protien per gram.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 08:52:45 PM »
cheapest protein source

Believe it or not, the cheapest protein source is whey. If you go to a dairy farm, you can buy pure whey for about $1.00 a pound. They call it "milk serum", another expression for lactalbumin or whey. The reason why it is so cheap is because it is discarded from milk production as it spoils quickly and interferes with the pasteurization process used to produce the commercial milks you buy.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 05:26:20 AM »
I've come across whey powders available from bakery supply companies - the prices are ridiculously low compared to what we're used to seeing from supplement companies.

My only concern is mixability.
I know someone who tried one such powder and said it did not mix well -if at all - and the taste was putrid.
I suspect it may be slightly better to add it to a blend of other ingredients.

Oddly enough, the egg powders I priced from baking distributors worked out to about the same as you can get in "supplement-grade."

lesaucer

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 01:28:59 PM »
ditch all those products. drink full fat milk and eat eggs

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 05:12:11 AM »
Whey FTW.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 07:39:25 AM »
I've come across whey powders available from bakery supply companies - the prices are ridiculously low compared to what we're used to seeing from supplement companies.

My only concern is mixability.
I know someone who tried one such powder and said it did not mix well -if at all - and the taste was putrid.

I suspect it may be slightly better to add it to a blend of other ingredients.

Oddly enough, the egg powders I priced from baking distributors worked out to about the same as you can get in "supplement-grade."

That was only my experience.  Yours might be different.  Give it a try if it's so cheap. :D
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
That was only my experience.  Yours might be different.  Give it a try if it's so cheap. :D

Yeah, but the place my friend deals with doesn't send samples - and if I don't like it, I don't want to be stuck with 55lbs. of powdered cheese.

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 06:40:22 PM »
ditch all those products. drink full fat milk and eat eggs

Yep!  Whole eggs is probably the cheapest.  Unless you have cholesterol problems or maybe if you are on some extra high amounts of hormones (they usually raise bad cholesterol levels)....  whole eggs are great.   ;)

Jam Master J

• Getbig I
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 12:12:06 PM »
Mercury Calculator:

http://www.gotmercury.org/article.php?list=type&type=75

Put in your weight and ounces of what kind of seafood you'll eat in a week and see how low to high the dose is for your body (according to that site anyway).

damn... I inputted my weight for canned albacore and 16oz in a week is 252% of the mercury i should be intaking

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 12:54:36 PM »
I know sometimes I eat 1 can a day between meals for a snack.  A 5 oz can so 35 oz for the week total.  That came to 537% of my limit.   :o  According to that calculator I should only eat 1 can in a whole week.   >:(

Armani

• Getbig II
  • 161 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 09:42:56 PM »
Might I recommend "Carb Master" Yogurt 6oz, a good blend of milk and whey proteins

10 for $10

Calories 80
Total Fat 1.5g (Saturated 1.0g)
Cholest 5mg
Sodium 80mg
Potassium 90mg
Total Carb 4g (Fiber 1g, Sugars 3g)
Protein 12g

Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 35%, Iron 0%, Vitamin D 15%

Ingredients: water, milk protein concentrate, whey protein concentrate, cream, modified corn starch, glycerine, natural and artifical flavor, salt, gelatin, tricalcium phosphate, malic acid, phosphoric acid, pectin, agar, sodium citrate, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, annatto and turmeric extract (for color), vitamin a palmitate, vitamin D3, active cultures with L acidophilus and B. bifidum

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 02:55:21 AM »
Might I recommend "Carb Master" Yogurt 6oz, a good blend of milk and whey proteins

10 for $10

Calories 80
Total Fat 1.5g (Saturated 1.0g)
Cholest 5mg
Sodium 80mg
Potassium 90mg
Total Carb 4g (Fiber 1g, Sugars 3g)
Protein 12g

Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 35%, Iron 0%, Vitamin D 15%

Ingredients: water, milk protein concentrate, whey protein concentrate, cream, modified corn starch, glycerine, natural and artifical flavor, salt, gelatin, tricalcium phosphate, malic acid, phosphoric acid, pectin, agar, sodium citrate, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, annatto and turmeric extract (for color), vitamin a palmitate, vitamin D3, active cultures with L acidophilus and B. bifidum

LOL, that's not even yoghurt, if you eat that, you can buy protein powder as well, even cheaper.

Armani

• Getbig II
  • 161 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 08:33:38 AM »
True, it's not yogurt, but I like the blend of milk and whey based protiens and its nice to have a variety of cheap protein sources (i.e., its easy to get sick of whey protein shakes).

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 12:19:26 PM »
Tuna is a healthy food choice, but no: I would not make it your primary food source.

As for taste, I usually drain as much water as possible from the can and add a generous shot of olive oil.
It's still not very palatable, but compared to plain tuna, it's a considerable improvement - and a healthy one at that.

I like to make a tuna and Saltine cracker sandwich. Saltine crackers take some of the tuna taste away LOL.
Masters- 50-54
148#

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 06:48:13 AM »
I like to make a tuna and Saltine cracker sandwich. Saltine crackers take some of the tuna taste away LOL.

Low sodium tuna is not very fishy at all imo.
R

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 12:57:46 PM »
  Believe it or not, the cheapest protein source is whey. If you go to a dairy farm, you can buy pure whey for about $1.00 a pound. They call it "milk serum", another expression for lactalbumin or whey. The reason why it is so cheap is because it is discarded from milk production as it spoils quickly and interferes with the pasteurization process used to produce the commercial milks you buy.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Have you ever done this yourself?

Mega Man

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 06:01:13 PM »
I buy the 10 pound bags of Gold Standard 100% whey by optimum nutrition....

it has 24 grams of protein in each serving.....and it comes with 157 servings in each 10 pound bag....great deal and quality

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 12:56:04 PM »
That wasn't the brand that had tested for heavy metals and stuff like that right?   ???  (sorry don't remember which one it was)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 01:20:10 PM »
That wasn't the brand that had tested for heavy metals and stuff like that right?   ???  (sorry don't remember which one it was)

Good memory.

Bigmacdaddy18

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 11:40:32 AM »
do the math, whey protein is about .43 c per serving and you get 20-23 grams of protein, still the cheapest.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 03:18:51 PM »
Didn't read a word of this thread, but i'd say peanut butter.
T

Mothballs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 01:45:53 AM »
Eggs, bulk cans of tuna, and whey protein are your best bets on a budget.