Author Topic: i still think frank zane is the most undeserved mr olympia  (Read 24843 times)

Jaime

• Getbig V
  • North Pole, fucking elves left, right and centre.
Re: i still think frank zane is the most undeserved mr olympia
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2012, 10:37:32 AM »
There was no concurrence at all in his time. 1 or 2 years before his first tittle I remind you there were Arnold, Ferrigno and Nubret on the same stage.
Arnold destroyed him in 1980 in the worst shape of his life and saddly preparred for the contest. That proves he just had a good carrer because there were no exeptionnal guys during his "reign".

Zane nearly killed himself before the 80 contest, which fucked up his prep and Arnold didn't "destroy" him. Sadly prepared, wtf does that mean lol?

Who were the exceptional guys during Sergio's or most of Arnolds years? Sergio and Serge had jumped ship most of them years.
Trans Milkshake.

david94

• Getbig III
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2012, 10:39:55 AM »
He deserved it a lot more than Cutler, Columbo, Dickerson, et al

His aesthetics get overrated sometimes, but a fair amount of the time back in the day he looked awesome.

He doesn't look impressive at all.
Cutler had creazy width and crazy legs. Columbo had crazy back and chest, Dickerson...well, nobody care about him.
The fact is that you can be very impressive without being enormous like Labrada, Craig Richardson, Ulysse Jr etc... and that's not the case for Zane mainly because he is flat and doesn't have V-taper which is the most important.

Jaime

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2012, 10:48:26 AM »
He doesn't look impressive at all.
Cutler had creazy width and crazy legs. Columbo had crazy back and chest, Dickerson...well, nobody care about him.
The fact is that you can be very impressive without being enormous like Labrada, Craig Richardson, Ulysse Jr etc... and that's not the case for Zane mainly because he is flat and doesn't have V-taper which is the most important.

Cutler has a waist as wide as his shoulders, going on classic ideals he shouldn't place in a top 50 of an Olympia.

Zane killing Franco based on lines and structure.

Labrada didn't have a better taper than Zane, ulisses jr looks great sometimes but looks like an average bloated gymrat the last i saw of him. Never heard of the other guy,,,,,googled him looks blocky.

Trans Milkshake.

david94

• Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2012, 10:49:59 AM »

Zane nearly killed himself before the 80 contest, which fucked up his prep and Arnold didn't "destroy" him. Sadly prepared, wtf does that mean lol?

Who were the exceptional guys during Sergio's or most of Arnolds years? Sergio and Serge had jumped ship most of them years.

Arnold had very short time to prepare for the contest cause of his movies. He had to cycle in a sauna with a lot of clothes on him to loose water which make him looking very flat.

Sergio and Arnold themselfs are exceptional even if I'm not a fan of Sergio. You also had Ferrigno, Robby Robinson,

david94

• Getbig III
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2012, 10:59:29 AM »

Cutler has a waist as wide as his shoulders, going on classic ideals he shouldn't place in a top 50 of an Olympia.

Zane killing Franco based on lines and structure.

Labrada didn't have a better taper than Zane, ulisses jr looks great sometimes but looks like an average bloated gymrat the last i saw of him. Never heard of the other guy,,,,,googled him looks blocky.

Cutler looked almost perfect during 2001-2003 although everybody prefer to remember his last shitty years.

That's perfect ratio shoulders/Waistline. Zane had poor ratio in comparaison to hundreds of guys including a lot of amateurs.

Jaime

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2012, 11:05:43 AM »
Cutler looked almost perfect during 2001-2003 although everybody prefer to remember his last shitty years.

That's perfect ratio shoulders/Waistline. Zane had poor ratio in comparaison to hundreds of guys including a lot of amateurs.

Haha, ok i can't take this seriously.
Trans Milkshake.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2012, 11:12:48 AM »
Anyone without synthol arms is unimpressive by today's standards.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2012, 11:19:28 AM »
WTF are people talking about in this thread, Zane had one of the craziest shoulder to waist ratios, fuckman, I cant believe what I am hearing ???

Jaime

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2012, 11:27:36 AM »
WTF are people talking about in this thread, Zane had one of the craziest shoulder to waist ratios, fuckman, I cant believe what I am hearing ???

Cutler has a much better shoulder to waist ratio apparently ??? ??? :o

Jesus fucking christ.
Trans Milkshake.

david94

• Getbig III
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2012, 12:07:04 PM »

Cutler has a much better shoulder to waist ratio apparently ??? ??? :o

Jesus fucking christ.

Of course he has. ::)

Jaime

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2012, 12:32:55 PM »
Of course he has. ::)

I can find a million pics of Cutler where he looks very very bad taper wise. You also have to bear in mind the amount of seo used in the shoulders and the extra thickness due to very high dose GH.

Zane's aesthetics do get overrated and no he didn't have a tiny waist. He wasn't Buchanan, Oliva type of taper.

Trans Milkshake.

david94

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2012, 01:00:59 PM »

I can find a million pics of Cutler where he looks very very bad taper wise. You also have to bear in mind the amount of seo used in the shoulders and the extra thickness due to very high dose GH.

Zane's aesthetics do get overrated and no he didn't have a tiny waist. He wasn't Buchanan, Oliva type of taper.

Ok so we agree to say his ligne is overrated.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2012, 01:12:38 PM »
Both Zane and Dickerson looked amazing. They really shined when they stood next to another bodybuilder.  Then you could see what definition and density they had. Dickerson should have been a two time winner. I miss when an under 200lbs guy could win the Olympia. 

The bloated champs of today look soft to me. The oil inject muscle looks like garbage.

SomeKindofMonster

• Getbig III
  • RC is SomeKindOfMonster
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2012, 02:04:24 PM »
This is from Natural Mr. Olympia at Ironage that may give some
insight into what made Frank so good for his time and then I'll
give my own perspective on some oldies I've seen in person.

Arnold really had a great flow to his physique. I really noticed it when he competed at the 1980 Olympia at less than his best. Even at only 80% and with much less mass, Arnold still looked better than most of the other competitors who trained hard all year for that contest. You just can't change the overall shape and symmetry of your physique. Zane, obviously, had a very beautiful physique too. Even though Arnold is known mostly for his mass and size and he did have some structural flaws like a wide waist and narrow thighs, his physique just looks right. He was blessed with good muscle shape and a pleasing physique. Going back to Zane, I remember seeing a picture of him with about 3 or 4 other bodybuilders in the Nabba Universe (maybe from '72) and, even though he is probably smaller and lighter than the other guys, his overall shape and structure is just so superior that he looks bigger and better than all of them. That's what his critics, who always call him skinny or a swimmer physique, don't understand about Zane. He just looked better because of the overall flow and symmetry to his physique.

My take is that if Robby Robinson had come in ripped for the Olympia's he
competed against Frank it would have been very close with Robby probably
winning. Frank won during a time when the competition was relatively weak
and the fact is he looked better and more polished than his competitors.
Take Dorian for example - No one during his reign could match his dry, hard
grainy look that gave him a look no one else had.

Have seen Boyer Coe, Mike Mentzer, Bertil Fox, Gary Strydom, Lee Haney
and Chris Dickerson all in good shape at a pretty close distance.
I am not saying at all that Dickerson should beat all these guys but I
can say that he is one of those guys that looks totally different in person (in a good unique way)
than video or pictures more so than the others mentioned. This was in his prime
between 80-82. As much as I like Arnold the bodybuilder I would have picked
Dickerson in 1980. His back and legs were 1st or 2nd best in the contest and
I can't get past how thin Arnold's legs were for that contest.
Saying that, Arnold's 1973-74 physique is one of the best ever to grace
a bodybuilding stage.
Arnold 1973

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »
Ok so we agree to say his ligne is overrated.

i cant help but notice that you call out others for being typical low IQ internet users that u need to explain yourself to over and over.

yet your literacy is very poor. Go through your threads and learn how to spell simple words like "sense", the meanings of words like "themselves" (not "themselfs"..lol), and  concepts like "lose", as opposed to your use of the word "loose"...

your credibility is non existent.

You in fact, are that internet loser you speak of. And you dont even realise it!..lol..

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2012, 02:12:43 PM »
imagine the BBing world if they had let another dynasty happen... chose 1 BBer and let him win the last 6 or 7 years.

david94

• Getbig III
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2012, 02:41:14 PM »
i cant help but notice that you call out others for being typical low IQ internet users that u need to explain yourself to over and over.

yet your literacy is very poor. Go through your threads and learn how to spell simple words like "sense", the meanings of words like "themselves" (not "themselfs"..lol), and  concepts like "lose", as opposed to your use of the word "loose"...

your credibility is non existent.

You in fact, are that internet loser you speak of. And you dont even realise it!..lol..

English is not my natural language and I don't live in a country where people speak english but you didn't point out that so I take your remark as a compliment. I prefer to have "poor literacy" in a stranger langugage and being understood.
The problem is this forum like many other forums are frequented by people who can't even properly read simple messages and force people to repeat themselves.

But I suppose you are able to speak many languages and have a perfect level in your native country. :)

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2012, 02:43:54 PM »
at least the pilsulin has size

Thanks for sharing, PeNiS.

littledumbells

• Getbig III
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2012, 03:00:41 PM »
That's how a Mr. O should look like

Oil injected, muffin top above a "thong". Absolutely 

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2012, 03:00:54 PM »
zane and mr haney ;D
F

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2012, 07:54:46 PM »
English is not my natural language and I don't live in a country where people speak english but you didn't point out that so I take your remark as a compliment. I prefer to have "poor literacy" in a stranger langugage and being understood.
The problem is this forum like many other forums are frequented by people who can't even properly read simple messages and force people to repeat themselves.

But I suppose you are able to speak many languages and have a perfect level in your native country. :)

well touche...good comeback...i cant beat that.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2012, 07:58:44 PM »
zane and mr haney ;D
There is  a 50 pounds difference in weight here,. I think Zane is holding his own here

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2012, 02:44:39 AM »
Arnold had very short time to prepare for the contest cause of his movies. He had to cycle in a sauna with a lot of clothes on him to loose water which make him looking very flat.

Sergio and Arnold themselfs are exceptional even if I'm not a fan of Sergio. You also had Ferrigno, Robby Robinson,
Arnold sensationalism and propaganda.

Arnold was training for conan, which was delayed shooting in spain, he started aiming for the 80 mr O about 6 months although he was in decent shape but smaller.
The story goes he did it in 6 weeks, from out of shape to stage
It helps sell weider mags

Zane, whom arnold respected and feared, they were also friends and training partners, was severely injured in a poolside accident and almost bled to death, during his olympia prep, then after spending weeks in hospital, he still decided to go ahead and defend his title with very little time left.

Arnold wouldve found it very difficult to compete against a 79 shape zane, especially since he'd made gains leading up to 80 pre injury. Unless the fix was in.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2012, 03:35:24 AM »
There is  a 50 pounds difference in weight here,. I think Zane is holding his own here

Exactly

Also a 23 year old haney near his prime massive on stage next to a 45 year old zane past his prime

Not too shabby

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2012, 08:21:31 AM »
frank was disliked because his lack of size . but he knew how top peak for contest day and was a good poser ... everyone has flaws .