Author Topic: contest diet  (Read 2430 times)

muscle19

• Getbig IV
  • Lifes To Short To Be Small!!!
contest diet
« on: September 18, 2011, 01:13:34 PM »
when getting ready for a show, how many use a cheat meal during dieting still? and if so, when do you drop that cheat meal
muscle

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
Re: contest diet
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 01:36:13 PM »
I do, have always had all my competitors do the same.

There's no set rule as far as when it's cut out. For some it may be out the door at 6wks out, others might be able to go to 3wks out...you have to play it by ear with each person each and every time. Even so, rarely will you have a guy who doesn't cut it out by 2wks out. I've had one guy that we keep it in up to 1wk out but that's only one out of many. 4wks-6wks out is pretty standard.

muscle19

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 02:16:16 PM »
thanks aj,

do you have your competitors use slin before show during carb up phase?
muscle

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 05:49:53 PM »
thanks aj,

do you have your competitors use slin before show during carb up phase?

No, never have. I don't think it's necessary.

I do think a lot of guys worry too much about the carb up though. I've said for years and years conditioning is so much more important. If you take two guys who are for the most part equal in every way yet one is slightly more conditioned he'll win every time even if the other guy is a little fuller....or at least he should unless there's BS politics at the particular show (which does happen.)

Anyway, the whole final prep always varies with each and every guy I've worked with. I've had guys that don't get more than 30g-50g of carbs per meal during the carb up and guys that get nearly 1,000g a day for a few days....unfortunately there's simply not a one size fits all plan.

Now a lot of guys I'll have add in Anadrol the last 4wks before a show for the fullness it can provide but this is only beneficial if they're in shape and I mean really in shape and on point. I'd say this ends up being about 50% of the guys.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 11:03:14 AM »
my view on this is to drop it as soon as i start my fast acting gear, so that would be 6 weeks out...

my view on last min prep is, if everything is ok, dont depleate and carb up,,, just cruise in and dont change anything, apart from diuretics last 3 days and cutting water night before show

but thats just my opinion after being less than pleased with the effects of carb loading!

BiGHer

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 11:28:41 AM »
Pull cheats at 4 weeks the latest.  Also depends on how much and what gear your on.  Pay attention to the mirror in the week following a cheat meal and watch how severely it effects you.   

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 11:34:37 AM »
How many cheats a week you guys have and at what quantity are we talking about?

Is it only one moderate meal or you go crazy on your favourite foods for a few hour span?

BiGHer

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 03:06:11 PM »
Cheat Meal = Sit down and eat whatever you want for that meal.

How many times per week depends on the mirror.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 05:42:14 PM »
Pull cheats at 4 weeks the latest.  Also depends on how much and what gear your on.  Pay attention to the mirror in the week following a cheat meal and watch how severely it effects you.   

IMO saying pull them 4wks out is too much of a cookie cutter answer. Some guys actually need them almost all the way up to the show...most don't but some do.

How many cheats a week you guys have and at what quantity are we talking about?

Is it only one moderate meal or you go crazy on your favourite foods for a few hour span?

Generally only 1 cheat meal per wk and that's eating whatever you want and for the most part as much as you want. If a guy is getting more than 1 cheat meal per wk, some guys I'll have do 2 cheat meals per wk up to a point one will be whatever they want and the other will be what I call a clean cheat. A clean cheat means no sugary foods. Simply a meal that is of more substantial substance than their normal meals. In any case cheat meals do not include alcohol and if someone starts adding that in I'll drop them in no time flat.

Cheat meal also mean "meal" not all day or hours of eating. Generally eating as much as you want and whatever you want in that meal but if you eat so much you're sick or can't hardly move or get comfortable you ate too much.

muscle19

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 08:25:32 PM »
my view on this is to drop it as soon as i start my fast acting gear, so that would be 6 weeks out...

my view on last min prep is, if everything is ok, dont depleate and carb up,,, just cruise in and dont change anything, apart from diuretics last 3 days and cutting water night before show

but thats just my opinion after being less than pleased with the effects of carb loading!

whats your diuretic protocol  leading up to show? I feel the same way, if you lok good and in shape, why mess it up with the carb up to spill over, thanks for the answer.
muscle

muscle19

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 08:27:39 PM »
AJ, what is typical water intake for your guys during the final week of show/ and do you have them use any diuretics?
muscle

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 09:56:06 PM »
AJ, what is typical water intake for your guys during the final week of show/ and do you have them use any diuretics?

For a Saturday morning prejudging I'll have them start messing with water the Sunday before. Typically Sun-Wed they'll drink a gallon more than whatever they've been drinking during the diet. If they've been drinking a gallon a day they'll drink 2 gallons Sun-Wed, if they've been drinking 2 gallons a day they'll drink 3 gallons Sun-Wed. Believe it or not I had a guy this year who drank literally 3 gallons of water a day during his whole diet, I generally ask that they drink at least 1-1.5 gallons per day but more is fine. Anyway, he had to drink 4 gallons a day the Sun-Wed during the last week.

After the water load Thur they'll return to their normal water intake and Fri it'll be about a gallon of water ending all water somewhere between 3pm-7pm depending on the person.

Yes, I have most of them use diuretics. Typically dyazide or aldactone and sometimes a combo of both. There is a few who use Lasix but not many as it can be very hard to predict. Lasix can work very well, sometimes better than anything else but if you react poorly it can be horrific and ruin your physique not to mention the possible physical problems. Another problem with lasix is if it worked well one time it doesn't mean it will the next time. Typically though if you tolerate it well you always will but I've seen the opposite happen.

Anyway, diuretics typically start Fri morning in the majority of cases with exceptions of some starting on Thur but most on Fri...again, it's a person to person thing.

Fitness4Life

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 10:11:56 PM »
I used to do CHEAT WEEKENDS lmao.  Eventually cut it down to one cheat day, and a separate cheat meal sometime during the week. 

Maybe this is why I have never been under 8 percent?  >:( :( :-[ ???

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 10:36:03 PM »
I used to do CHEAT WEEKENDS lmao.  Eventually cut it down to one cheat day, and a separate cheat meal sometime during the week. 

Maybe this is why I have never been under 8 percent?  >:( :( :-[ ???
8 percent is pretty low man..  8)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 10:38:23 PM »
8 percent is pretty low man..  8)

True but as far as contest ready goes that's fatter than all outside. Bodybuilding is a messed up world that's for sure but it is what it is.

Fitness4Life

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 10:39:43 PM »
True but as far as contest ready goes that's fatter than all outside. Bodybuilding is a messed up world that's for sure but it is what it is.

That's the criteria as judge myself upon, especially of course since I want to compete asap and do some damage.  So in that sense, my bf has been sucking ass my whole life.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 01:37:13 AM »
whats your diuretic protocol  leading up to show? I feel the same way, if you lok good and in shape, why mess it up with the carb up to spill over, thanks for the answer.

if its aladactone it starts 3 days before, with last tablets on the morning before show, i cant remember the exact dosages off the top of my head, but i could dig my old diaries out if you think it could help you...

water would stop around 6, and id sip dry wine throughout the nite and have a little on the morning too

muscle19

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 07:19:50 AM »
Thanks Aj and localhero. This is my first show so just trying to get the final week in order, have ideas but like to hear others opinions on it. I like the approach you guys laid out, the only thing I'm concerned about is carb loading, if necessary, and when to drop sodium, can anyone shed light on this? And when dropping sodium, do you guys buy meats with no sodium cause I can't seem to find any without
muscle

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 10:03:19 AM »
Thanks Aj and localhero. This is my first show so just trying to get the final week in order, have ideas but like to hear others opinions on it. I like the approach you guys laid out, the only thing I'm concerned about is carb loading, if necessary, and when to drop sodium, can anyone shed light on this? And when dropping sodium, do you guys buy meats with no sodium cause I can't seem to find any without

I don't really mess with sodium....there shouldn't be that much on your food at that stage to begin with any way so it shouldn't be all that much of a concern IMO. I don't understand the carb question

muscle19

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 04:18:26 PM »
so basically last week of prep dont add any extra sodium? Regarding the carb question, i was just curious how you would carb load a competitor or if you even mess with carb loading the final week or just keep them as is
muscle

nosleep

• Getbig IV
  • INJECT NOW. LAUGH LATER.
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 09:33:21 PM »
when getting ready for a show, how many use a cheat meal during dieting still? and if so, when do you drop that cheat meal

DIETING IS THE BEST TIME TO HAVE THAT ONE SHITTY ASS ALL YOU CAN EAT MEAL. IF UR LOOKING TO BULK & DO IT, U HAVE TO RESUME FROM THAT POINT. IF UR DIETING, WITHIN 3-5 DAYS ITS GONE AND YOUR METABOLISM IS LIKE RESET. I LIKE IT WHEN THINGS FALL APART,LIKE WHEN MY WORKOUT PUMP SUFFERS, WHEN IM TIRED, COLD, APPETITE IS GONE. JUST GOING OUT AT NIGHT AND BINGING, RESUME NORMAL DIETING NEXT MORNING.

WHILE BULKING THOUGH, UR BACK ONTO A CALORIC SURPLUS NEXT DAY AND YOU CANNOT REDEEM URSELF OF THAT FATTY ASS MEAL.
MEDICATED BY STRANGO

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 09:48:20 PM »
so basically last week of prep dont add any extra sodium? Regarding the carb question, i was just curious how you would carb load a competitor or if you even mess with carb loading the final week or just keep them as is

There's no cut and dry answer here as it can vary so dramatically from guy to guy. I will say this though, most guys don't need more than 50g per meal Thur and Fri.

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 09:11:58 AM »
The best I looked was a show I did with no diuretics. Each time I messed with them, I lost 5-6 lbs and it did nothing for my physique, just flattened me out like crazy. Granted, I am no guru with regards to diuretic usage.

Here's what worked for me. Keep in mind, I'm a middleweight, so might take longer to dry out a larger body-

-Carb deplete from Sat before til Thursday before (5 full days). Typically for me this meant less than 100g of carbs. Some days zero if I wasn't flattening out.

- Increase water from 2 to 3 gallons from the Saturday before.

- Lightly salt all meals (sea salt) unless it's egg whites which have plenty of sodium.

- Thursday eat 6 meals with 50 g of carbs at each meal. I use the same carbs as when dieting for this day. For me that's oatmeal, white rice and bananas.

- Drink normally until later Thursday night. Around 10PM I dropped all water.

- Friday drink no water.

- Continue to salt every other meal lightly (sprinkle).

- Carb up for me is dry oats mashed up with bananas and microwaved, dry oats and pie filling mixed together and maybe some well cooked rice to get the water out of it.

- Start with one meal around 75g carbs and small amount of protein (15g) from chicken or steak.

- Repeat every 2-3 hours. Increase carbs if not filling out. Decrease carbs if plenty filled out. Go by the mirror. Might take in 350g, might take in 800. Doesn't matter, just eat and stare in the mirror. Do your poses. Put your tan on. Watch a movie. Eat some more.

- If you're still slightly flat at night, have a PB & J sandwich on top of your meal. It's ok to be a little full at night, you'll piss it out overnight.

-Sat AM eat a light meal and pack plenty of food for the venue. Should look crazy at this point.

muscle19

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 10:37:43 AM »
Thanks everyone and thanks rearden, that helps alot! My show is 7weeks away and loving every minute of this :) I did my research but always like to hear opinions from others on their take to the last week of prep.
muscle

matrixgh

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 09:09:15 AM »
are u doing npc show? my suggestion I will replace all cheat meals with solid food and the rest of the days just fish, curbs will be brown rise or papaya