Author Topic: The Getbig experiment. Training photo at 69.  (Read 165297 times)

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
Re: The Getbig experiment. Training photo at 69.
« Reply #225 on: September 22, 2011, 06:59:07 PM »
He invented the rear head of the deltoid

That and the supination/pronation action of the forearm.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #226 on: September 22, 2011, 07:06:06 PM »
You make it sound like you're Newton yet to be recognized by the world ::). If you dropped the pompous arrogant attitude and presented your theory in a straightforward manner without proclaiming your superiority to the "floatsam" then maybe, maaaybe getbig wouldn't think you're an old delusional fatass. More likely getbig would just think your theory was stupid though.

LOL, great work in this thread. You should get an award.  ;D ;D ;D

apply85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #227 on: September 22, 2011, 07:11:40 PM »

im serious lol

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #228 on: September 22, 2011, 07:13:40 PM »

Vince invented MAN in his own image.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #229 on: September 22, 2011, 07:22:28 PM »

lyquid

• Getbig III
« Reply #230 on: September 22, 2011, 07:22:45 PM »
please respond

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #231 on: September 22, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
You make it sound like you're Newton yet to be recognized by the world ::). If you dropped the pompous arrogant attitude and presented your theory in a straightforward manner without proclaiming your superiority to the "floatsam" then maybe, maaaybe getbig wouldn't think you're an old delusional fatass. More likely getbig would just think your theory was stupid though.

Fortunately for me, the truth of a theory is independent of what popular sentiment is.

http://philosophyfaculty.ucsd.edu/faculty/rarneson/Courses/popperphil1.pdf

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #232 on: September 22, 2011, 07:40:13 PM »
Vince invented MAN in his own image.
Jason Genova  ???

lyquid

• Getbig III
« Reply #233 on: September 22, 2011, 07:47:28 PM »
please respond

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #234 on: September 22, 2011, 07:47:35 PM »
what exactly did vince invent?

The hope is that he re-invents that bicep machine he has into a small rocket ship and blast himself to the moon.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #235 on: September 22, 2011, 07:57:37 PM »
The hope is that he re-invents that bicep machine he has into a small rocket ship and blast himself to the moon.

ahahahaha, 10/10!!!

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #236 on: September 22, 2011, 10:11:23 PM »
How about just using a dumbbell?

With a dumbbell you don't get resistance across the full range of motion because your forearm is moving in a rotary motion. With free weights the resistance is always linear -- straight down. So if the dumbbell is 35lbs your bicep only gets that 35lbs when it is at right angle to the ground. There's virtually no direct resistance on your biceps as your arm hangs in the fullly extended position.

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #237 on: September 23, 2011, 12:36:31 AM »
Vince pls reconsider showing progress pics.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #238 on: September 23, 2011, 02:39:42 AM »
With a dumbbell you don't get resistance across the full range of motion because your forearm is moving in a rotary motion. With free weights the resistance is always linear -- straight down. So if the dumbbell is 35lbs your bicep only gets that 35lbs when it is at right angle to the ground. There's virtually no direct resistance on your biceps as your arm hangs in the fullly extended position.

Arthur Jones took the variable resistance concept from Universal and developed it further. Regarding the resistance while doing biceps curls. Nautilus machines are supposed to be superior because they provide the right amount of resistance throughout the movement. I haven't been convinced that this is superior to what barbells and dumbbells can do. It was just assumed that providing variable resistance was better and would therefore help the muscles grow faster. Muscleheads ignor those machines and head for the free weights room. Thank goodness they do because that noise of clanging weights is contained in that space and the machine room is much quieter.

My biceps-supinator machine provides resistance in two degrees of freedom and that should stimulate more fibres to contract and hence help hypertrophy. I will see if I can borrow my machine for this experiment. I am using a modified Nautilus Biceps Machine which is okay but I need something better. I will also have to fashion a lying triceps extension machine for myself. Would be best to have 5 pound plates so that small increments can be selected as I progress.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #239 on: September 23, 2011, 02:40:29 AM »
Vince pls reconsider showing progress pics.

When I have significantly bigger arms I will post a photo.

The Wizard

• Getbig III
  • Old School is THE School
« Reply #240 on: September 23, 2011, 02:49:52 AM »
When I have significantly bigger arms I will post a photo.
Seriously - go for it and try and get some fat off gradually too. Will be interesting. Remember if you talk the talk .....

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #241 on: September 23, 2011, 03:00:03 AM »
Arthur Jones took the variable resistance concept from Universal and developed it further. Regarding the resistance while doing biceps curls. Nautilus machines are supposed to be superior because they provide the right amount of resistance throughout the movement. I haven't been convinced that this is superior to what barbells and dumbbells can do. It was just assumed that providing variable resistance was better and would therefore help the muscles grow faster. Muscleheads ignor those machines and head for the free weights room. Thank goodness they do because that noise of clanging weights is contained in that space and the machine room is much quieter.

My biceps-supinator machine provides resistance in two degrees of freedom and that should stimulate more fibres to contract and hence help hypertrophy. I will see if I can borrow my machine for this experiment. I am using a modified Nautilus Biceps Machine which is okay but I need something better. I will also have to fashion a lying triceps extension machine for myself. Would be best to have 5 pound plates so that small increments can be selected as I progress.

Yes, I remember Jones talking about the supination aspect of bicep contraction. Something that I hadn't the slightest idea of and never considered. I learned so much reading and re-reading his bulletins. Whether they made any real world practical difference has never been objectively proved. Scott and Arnold built great arms without these machines and I don't think Coleman ever did the Nautilus Pullover which Yates considered indispensable.

Jones also believed that the bicep only achieve full contraction when your upper arm is brought close to the side of your face. Like making a double bicep pose except bring your upper arm closer to the side of you head. He had a machine designed for that but admitted that he could not develop a workable machine that provided meaningful supination contraction. But once I learned this I would load my dumbbells with one side heavier than the other side to provide supination resistance as I turned my wrist inward while curling. I thought I invented this -- lol!

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #242 on: September 23, 2011, 03:20:28 AM »
increases
in resistance is what is ultimately behind hypertrophy.

FACT

If your DOMS theroy does indeed work then it will be because it allowed you to make significant increases in training resistance used. So how have your strength gains been? How much have they gone up on your curl and your extension?

Here is a clip from the Mentzer seminar in Canada back in '98 as he describes 2 in the gym clients of his. The 1st one went from 163 to 210 in 4 and a half months, and his deadlift went from 170 to 380. The second one went from 147 to 175 in 3 months, and his deadlift went from 165 to 345. His testimony of these 2 clients starts at about 6:30 into this clip. 

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #243 on: September 23, 2011, 04:24:31 AM »
Everyone who trains with weights or resistance is more or less doing the same old thing that has been done for a long time. The two things that are crucial for my hypothesis are multiple maximum sets and retraining while sore. No DOMS means no rapid growth. Of course, it is assumed that sufficient nutrients are ingested to gain weight. If not, then no amount of training will cause much hypertrophy.

I stumbled across the importance of DOMS when I was training my arms in 1998-9. I reached a sticking point and no amount of time under tension stimulated more growth. I wondered why the heck not. High intensity and a reasonably long time under tension was having no effect except to stay the same size. Then I changed the triceps exercise to lying extensions with upper arms on pads. The next day my triceps were very sore. How was this possible when I had been blasting them for weeks? Well, a more effective exercise was used that isolated the muscle and also put it into a stretched position. DOMS and growth followed. It occurred to me that now I could explain why so many were not growing.....no matter how hard they were training. I wondered what would happen if I kept the triceps sore. Answer? Rapid, sustained growth. I was growing 1/10 of an inch per training day or 1 inch in a month for both calves and arms. That was satisfying.

I am repeating the experiment again but this time I hope to avoid injuries that cut my last trial short. Keep elbows away from surfaces. Warm up thoroughly and avoid dangerous exercises. Do not do ballistic movements for calves. So far, so good, but it is early days and I have completed 5 arm workouts. I haven't measured my arms cold yet. I will announce when they are 18 inches cold in the morning.

Xerxes

« Reply #244 on: September 23, 2011, 05:54:46 AM »
LOL, great work in this thread. You should get an award.  ;D ;D ;D
;D just being myself.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #245 on: September 23, 2011, 07:32:16 AM »
someone should rename this thread two old senile cu nts

vince and pellius appear to be

sucking each others dicks while ignoring the fact that they are a pair of ball bags
T

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #246 on: September 23, 2011, 07:50:36 AM »
Measuring tape....

Don't forget.

Abs.

Don't forget them either. An 18" arm doesn't mean shit without abs.

If you are going to do biceps work, you would actually warm them up first and then 1) avoid full extension 2) keep the elbows non-moving (or supported) throughout MOST of the range of motion 3) when you get your fist upside your head, hit it (j/k) ~ actually, turn your wrist AWAY from your head and squeeze the bicep as hard as you can, lift and hold (static)

When you lower your arm, this is another great place for *variable* negative resistance. If you had a good training partner, he could add enough resistance throughout the lowering phase. He would have to know just exactly how much resistance to add ( not too much, not too little)~ then at the bottom of the rep (not full extension) you could hold a static contraction with added resistance. After the bicep is on fire with lactic acid, you could start pumping out partial "burns" and fry them.

You shouldn't have to do this twice.

If I could "invent" a machine, I would have fully twisting handles and a foot lever to vary the resistance throughout the range of motion. This is the only way I could see a machine tailoring it's movement to you and your individual build. I don't know how I could get enough resistance (without a partner) for the lowering (negative) portion of the rep.

You could attempt single arm curls in the seated concentration position (to begin with) and then stand up against a wall for the rest of the rep, and for the negative, reach your other arm across and pull down during the lowering phase I suppose...

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #247 on: September 23, 2011, 08:48:12 AM »
"He thought he could still build muscle at his age and completely natural and without any supplements whatever for you bitches."
is going to look awesome on your headstone, Vince.

FUNNY ;D

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #248 on: September 23, 2011, 08:54:28 AM »
someone should rename this thread two old senile cu nts

vince and pellius appear to be

sucking each others dicks while ignoring the fact that they are a pair of ball bags

why are you being so rude to the guy?....at least he is putting himself out there..what do you look like?

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #249 on: September 23, 2011, 08:56:18 AM »
Wow, the resident philosophers have arrived. Do me a favour and read about what Karl Popper said about conjectures and refutations. Don't embarrass yourself with statements like you made.

Don't embarass yourself being that man in his 70th year posting 40 year old photos and STILL obsessing about weights. Have you no family or children or grandchildren to constructively spend time with rather than doing what you are attempting to do.