Author Topic: The Getbig experiment. Training photo at 69.  (Read 165197 times)

Swede!

• Getbig IV
  • www.letskillsometime.com Direct link in signature
Re: The Getbig experiment. Training photo at 69.
« Reply #250 on: September 23, 2011, 08:56:50 AM »
why are you being so rude to the guy?....at least he is putting himself out there..what do you look like?

"andre is da man"

really?

Secret Stack

• Getbig IV
« Reply #251 on: September 23, 2011, 10:26:45 AM »
an 18 inch arm in your condition is about a 16 inch arm in your 1970 condition.

seriously, i'm just reminding that an 18 inch arm is achievable with such high bf.
the arguments with you and gh15 were ALWAYS about being in CONDITION. the condition had to match the inches of the arm.
THAT was the argument.

and even then!! the argument was that you could have them at 19!!! naturally!!! conditioned!!!....at 70 years old!!!
lol.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #252 on: September 23, 2011, 12:40:51 PM »
Lets be real people. A man/women who hasn't ever trained or who has taken significant time off from training is going to blow up like a weed the first month or two of training regardless of how they lift(in most cases). Basile should be able to put an inch on his arm in 30 days. That' really no big deal at all. Don't you people remember how much bigger you got when you first started lifting? All the time Basile took off the gym puts his body at the beginner level but he'll have the benefit of muscle memory from a century ago. The truth is it would be impossible for him or anyone to not gain an inch on his arms in 30 days who took that much time off. Hell Basile could shave his arms now and take a picture and it will look like he is much more muscular. Basile is doing a 30 day experiment that can't possibly fail so he can claim some sort of guru status. If this is what he needs to get back into the gym and in some sort of shape then more power to him. But make no mistake, a 15 year old boy who never trained in his life could put on an inch on in 30 days training arms to failure every 3rd day.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #253 on: September 23, 2011, 02:22:02 PM »
someone should rename this thread two old senile cu nts

vince and pellius appear to be

sucking each others dicks while ignoring the fact that they are a pair of ball bags

Wow! That's pretty funny "big"mc. You sound smart.

So how often do you fantasize about men sucking each other's cocks? And why don't you post a pic here and show us why you like to call yourself "big".

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #254 on: September 23, 2011, 02:23:57 PM »
why are you being so rude to the guy?....at least he is putting himself out there..what do you look like?

EXACTLY. Just another insecure kunt hiding behind a keyboard bringing people down because he hasn't accomplished anything meaningful in life.

But at least he thinks he's "big." (God that never gets old.)

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #255 on: September 23, 2011, 02:26:21 PM »
Don't embarass yourself being that man in his 70th year posting 40 year old photos and STILL obsessing about weights. Have you no family or children or grandchildren to constructively spend time with rather than doing what you are attempting to do.

Ursus, I'm surprised at you. How do you know he doesn't spend time with his family? I'm sure you do and yet you still have time to train and work full time. The guy is retired why do you want to discourage him from training? At what age do you plan to stop training and taking care of yourself.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #256 on: September 23, 2011, 02:30:04 PM »
Lets be real people. A man/women who hasn't ever trained or who has taken significant time off from training is going to blow up like a weed the first month or two of training regardless of how they lift(in most cases). Basile should be able to put an inch on his arm in 30 days. That' really no big deal at all. Don't you people remember how much bigger you got when you first started lifting? All the time Basile took off the gym puts his body at the beginner level but he'll have the benefit of muscle memory from a century ago. The truth is it would be impossible for him or anyone to not gain an inch on his arms in 30 days who took that much time off. Hell Basile could shave his arms now and take a picture and it will look like he is much more muscular. Basile is doing a 30 day experiment that can't possibly fail so he can claim some sort of guru status. If this is what he needs to get back into the gym and in some sort of shape then more power to him. But make no mistake, a 15 year old boy who never trained in his life could put on an inch on in 30 days training arms to failure every 3rd day.

I don't think anybody doubts he'll make improvements if he sticks with it. He has claimed to equal or exceed his 1970 condition. Nobody believes that except Vince. Maybe he'll prove us all wrong but then again I could open my door right now and find Jessica Alba standing there waiting for me. Not beyond the realm of possibility but not even remotely likely.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #257 on: September 23, 2011, 02:34:45 PM »
I don't think anybody doubts he'll make improvements if he sticks with it. He has claimed to equal or exceed his 1970 condition. Nobody believes that except Vince. Maybe he'll prove us all wrong but then again I could open my door right now and find Jessica Alba standing there waiting for me. Not beyond the realm of possibility but not even remotely likely.
Lottery ticket, anyone? 

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #258 on: September 23, 2011, 02:35:25 PM »
I have been designing and building equipment for my gym since 1975. The biceps-supinator machine is the only one in a gym in the universe that we know of. Golds Gym, Venice, doesn't have the lying triceps extension machine. Our gym has three of them and a modified Nautilus Triceps unit that allows you to do the lying movement.

You are guilty of three major getbig mistakes:
1. You actually competed and won a real national title ( Mr Canada) getbig strike 1
2. You actually made real equipment and work out on it. strike 2
3. You feel that hard training and sound diet with build muscle without steroids     strike 3. :D

Vince,most of these get big characters are just regular young guys that want to believe it is all steroids, and drugs.
That way they will always have a  ready made excuse for not being a decent bodybuilder.

It is a lot easier to blame a lack of drug connections then your own lack of hardwork or genetics.

ChopperRider

• Getbig V
  • Ugly, bald Shitso scalp for sale = $1
« Reply #259 on: September 23, 2011, 02:37:57 PM »
Pellius........dude, ease back on the throttle man.  ;D

Try the decaf, you're stressing for no reason.

He'll get some brief muscle memory gains, then an injury, then 82,000 flotsam insult posts, then lose interest, then claim success.

Chisel it in stone.

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #260 on: September 23, 2011, 03:29:36 PM »
Can you kindly explain in one sentence what you are trying to accomplish and how you plan to do it.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #261 on: September 23, 2011, 04:22:27 PM »
Pellius........dude, ease back on the throttle man.  ;D

Try the decaf, you're stressing for no reason.

He'll get some brief muscle memory gains, then an injury, then 82,000 flotsam insult posts, then lose interest, then claim success.

Chisel it in stone.

LOL @ stressing.

Guy is finally doing something that people have been raging him about for years and then they try to bring him down. Sure I think he'll fail but how many people actually step up and back up their shit around here?

I hate shit talking bench warmers.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #262 on: September 23, 2011, 04:26:54 PM »
Can you kindly explain in one sentence what you are trying to accomplish and how you plan to do it.

Can't be explained in one sentence but I'll try to say it as simply as possible.

He claims that age is no barrier to hypertrophy if a proper training protocol is instituted. He claims that he knows what that protocol is. Furthermore, he claims that because of his increased knowledge and access to better equipment he can "absolutely" exceed his Mr. Canada condition.

Because of my generous nature I will consider it a resounding success if he merely matches his 1970 condition.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #263 on: September 23, 2011, 04:27:20 PM »
Most of these dopes on this board have no idea how hard it is to lift in your 50's and 60's.  They brag about being old at 40.   For a guy to be natural and in shape into their last years is so rare.  Don't post a picture of some 55 year old that's juicing to the gills.  Hell, even little girls have muscles with drugs so I'm not impressed by steroid muscles.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #264 on: September 23, 2011, 04:31:21 PM »
an 18 inch arm in your condition is about a 16 inch arm in your 1970 condition.

seriously, i'm just reminding that an 18 inch arm is achievable with such high bf.
the arguments with you and gh15 were ALWAYS about being in CONDITION. the condition had to match the inches of the arm.
THAT was the argument.

and even then!! the argument was that you could have them at 19!!! naturally!!! conditioned!!!....at 70 years old!!!
lol.

QFT

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #265 on: September 23, 2011, 04:42:51 PM »
The consensus regarding hypertrophy and old age is that this is not possible without drugs. Everyone says that men decline as they age and this includes the capacity for growing muscles. Surely strength declines and few are able to lift what they could when young. Likewise it is not possible to grow like we did in our twenties.

Now some are saying gaining an inch or two is nothing but muscle memory. What is it, good people? How can you have muscle memory and rapid gains at 69....and have it completely naturally and with absolutely no supplements or special diet?

I boldly claimed that I could build my muscles larger than when I won my title in 1970. That was 41 years ago. Many here thought this was proof that I joined Goodrum in the totally delusional stakes! I felt I could achieve a similar condition because when I train my arms they still respond by growing. There is no decline. I am pleased and surprised. This wasn't expected.

I talked to a serious young guy at my gym yesterday. He wanted information. Here was yet another person who believed all manner of things that were preventing him from getting bigger. He mixed some water with some protein while talking to me. When I asked why he thought he needed that drink he questioned why I would say that. Here I was giving him an opinion and he was questioning it. That is typical of bodybuilders. They believe some things and that is set in concrete. They seldom change those basic principles.

Talking to the guys in my gym is similar to debating with Getbiggers. They both have firm beliefs and NOTHING is going to change them. People here don't accept much of what I post and instead continue to believe their pet ideas.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #266 on: September 23, 2011, 04:43:11 PM »
Measurements mean nothing. Next door a 250 pound grandmother has 19 inch arms. She also must have 19 inch calves.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #267 on: September 23, 2011, 04:49:11 PM »
Measurements mean nothing. Next door a 250 pound grandmother has 19 inch arms. She also must have 19 inch calves.

Somehow Basile seems to fail to grasp this, instead he goes on bashing how dumb "bodybuilders" are.  ::) ::)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #268 on: September 23, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
I know I won't be around to see what some of you guys will look like at my age. Let me tell you it is hard to keep your arms big. Why? Well, you have to train regularly and heavy. Motivation evaporates. People my age usually have limited mobility because of sore knees, etc. Few even work out. Few can go for long walks carrying a backpack. Staying big is just not going to happen....unless you have a reason.

Now some are saying an 18 inch arm isn't big if one is bulky. It is only 16 inches of muscle. What a laugh. Have any of you read the literature regarding skin folds? On men there is a poor correlation with skin folds and body fat. The reverse is true with women. My skin folds are not very thick so that means most of my arm is muscle. Please don't bring the complete set of false beliefs to this thread.

Btw, Bigmc and even that jerk Dr Chimps have photos posted on their pet forum. The rule there is you have to post a photo of yourself before you can post there. Some of the guys are big but many fall into the Flotsam category. Notice that they contribute in this thread like the dickheads they are. Smartasses who haven't done much in bodybuilding.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #269 on: September 23, 2011, 05:13:04 PM »
Most bodybuilders don't age that well. Those who keep up the training can retain some of their size but many lose that hypertrophy. When I was in my prime there were several guys who impressed me. Larry Scott, Sergio Oliva, Casey Viator and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Arnold has lost much of his former size. Even his calves have shrunk. Sergio has wasted away. Larry still has some biceps but looks small in clothes. Casey still has big arms and huge forearms but looks very bulky. He is much younger than I am. Casey is the exception possibly because he still lifts heavy and regularly.

apply85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #270 on: September 23, 2011, 05:18:32 PM »
With a dumbbell you don't get resistance across the full range of motion because your forearm is moving in a rotary motion. With free weights the resistance is always linear -- straight down. So if the dumbbell is 35lbs your bicep only gets that 35lbs when it is at right angle to the ground. There's virtually no direct resistance on your biceps as your arm hangs in the fullly extended position.

... but the bicep isn't equally storng throughout the whole range of motion, onl yin th emiddle where the barbell is coincidentally the heaviest

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #271 on: September 23, 2011, 05:24:44 PM »
More photos of the big guys from the past.

Bob Gajda beat Sergio in the AAU Mr America in 1966. I would never have believed that Arnold would be as small as he is in these photos. Larry has retained some of his arm size because he was working out. Overall he has lost most of his size.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #272 on: September 23, 2011, 05:29:17 PM »
Somehow Basile seems to fail to grasp this, instead he goes on bashing how dumb "bodybuilders" are.  ::) ::)

Go to any major university and see how many big bodybuilders you see walking around. Go to the uni gyms and see how many are there? They are as rare as hens teeth. That has always been true, is still true today, and will be true into the far distant future.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #273 on: September 23, 2011, 05:33:11 PM »
Measuring tape.... Don't forget. abs. Don't forget them either. An 18" arm doesn't mean shit without abs.

If you are going to do biceps work, you would actually warm them up first and then 1) avoid full extension 2) keep the elbows non-moving (or supported) throughout MOST of the range of motion 3) when you get your fist upside your head, hit it (j/k) ~ actually, turn your wrist AWAY from your head and squeeze the bicep as hard as you can, lift and hold (static)

When you lower your arm, this is another great place for *variable* negative resistance. If you had a good training partner, he could add enough resistance throughout the lowering phase. He would have to know just exactly how much resistance to add ( not too much, not too little)~ then at the bottom of the rep (not full extension) you could hold a static contraction with added resistance. After the bicep is on fire with lactic acid, you could start pumping out partial "burns" and fry them. You shouldn't have to do this twice.

If I could "invent" a machine, I would have fully twisting handles and a foot lever to vary the resistance throughout the range of motion. This is the only way I could see a machine tailoring it's movement to you and your individual build. I don't know how I could get enough resistance (without a partner) for the lowering (negative) portion of the rep.

You could attempt single arm curls in the seated concentration position (to begin with) and then stand up against a wall for the rest of the rep, and for the negative, reach your other arm across and pull down during the lowering phase I suppose...

Some interesting ideas

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #274 on: September 23, 2011, 05:44:21 PM »
I won't be doing any heavy negatives at the moment. I have to avoid injuries and I can tell you that once you tear a biceps you get residual sharp jabs of pain from time to time. My elbows are not the best and if I put my weight on them in bed, for example, I get a sharp pain. Curse those injuries. Without them I would be sailing through this experiment. With them I have to hold back for fear I might aggravate those injuries. For some peculiar reason I am still able to do heavy triceps work even with some pain. Once they are warmed up and slightly pumped the pain subsides and I can continue training. That is a gift of nature for sure. I wonder why the pain subsides when blood is pumped into the area?

The calves are peculiar muscles. I played basketball in high school so had reasonable calves. I well remember measuring the calves of this lifeguard in Kamloops in those days. This guy had great calves. His measurement? 16 1/4 inches. They looked much bigger. My calves were about 15 1/2 then. I specialized on calves and eventually had them at 17 1/4 in contest condition. I had them at about 18 1/4 inches at my biggest some 12 years ago. I haven't done any calf training since then. I do carry heavy camera equipment when out taking photos on long walks. They are about 17 1/2 in the morning and a bit larger at night. If you want to feel good then always measure calves at night and arms in the morning! It might be possible to get them up to 19 inches and that would be an excellent achievement.