Author Topic: The Getbig experiment. Training photo at 69.  (Read 165291 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: The Getbig experiment. Training photo at 69.
« Reply #825 on: January 10, 2012, 05:04:05 PM »
I am a fine figure of a man for my age. I am healthy as well with no injuries that will impede my growth. Just finished a leg workout. Now that is hard for me to do. I enjoy training arms much more.

Inchdisciple

• Getbig II
« Reply #826 on: January 10, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
I am a fine figure of a man for my age. I am healthy as well with no injuries that will impede my growth. Just finished a leg workout. Now that is hard for me to do. I enjoy training arms much more.

Your an out of shape flabby old windbag. I have seen many guys older than you who look far better and younger than you, who have never even worked out.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #827 on: January 10, 2012, 10:29:50 PM »
Vince, I never had any aspirations to enter, let alone win, any bodybuilding title.

Would it be fair to consider you the anti-gh15? The antithesis of what he believes, promotes and stands for?

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #828 on: January 11, 2012, 08:09:22 AM »
Oddly enough, the most sore that my biceps ever got was using a 3 inch fat bar for curling.
These were given out by Hammer Strength years ago, if you purchased a bunch of their equipment.
Mine was given to me by a HIT training legend, and I just got it out of storage a few months ago.
I used it for the first time in about 5 years last week, and my biceps were sore as hell.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #829 on: January 11, 2012, 11:43:03 AM »
lmao at vince answering questions from his own gimmick

and ignoring anyone who doesnt agree with him

comedy gold
T

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #830 on: January 11, 2012, 12:00:35 PM »
I am a fine figure of a man for my age.
::)

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #831 on: January 11, 2012, 12:06:09 PM »
yea I still wanna know if he considers his physique better than Pellius and if we can see the original versions of his skewed pics...

comedy gold

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #832 on: January 11, 2012, 01:18:06 PM »
Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURUVince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURUVince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #833 on: January 11, 2012, 02:24:38 PM »
About specific stimuli for hypertrophy. Do the muscles know if we are using machines or free weights? So as long as the stimulus is sufficient, hypertrophy will follow. The trouble with free weights for triceps is they get dangerous when you lift heavier weights. Elbows get sore and training has to be modified or stopped. The pressdown movements are good up to a point then no further growth happensThis is my experience. I can't say if that applies to everyone. Everyone natural I would say. What I have found is the lying extension machine is superior to anything else I have done. It requires side pads to keep the elbows close to the head. You can't imagine how many cheat even on this excellent exercise. That is human nature because the muscleheads believe they will grow if they use heavier weights. The trick is to put the muscle under severe mechanical tension and you cannot cheat and be effective. Once you start cheating you recruit other muscles and the target muscle misses out on direct tension sufficient to grow.

A couple of thoughts:  

The Gironda/Scott-style pulley extensions actually don't require side pads to keep the elbows in.  As long as you focus intensely on keeping your elbows glued to your head, I think you're good.  (That said, I would much prefer your set-up.)  And yes, it is an awesome exercise, even if it's a bit awkward to get into position initially.  I did a set of 10 plates last week and literally had to fall forward to get set up on the bench.

I also agree with you on the machines vs. free weights thing.  A good machine is superior in many respects.  Some barbell knuckleheads purists insist that a barbell bench press recruits more muscles than a Hammer Strength press, notably the "stabilizer" muscles.  

To this day, I've never seen anyone who actually A, identified these "stabilizers" and B, demonstrated why recruiting them and being forced to balance a bar or dumbbells is somehow a plus in the "this exercise builds bigger pecs" column  ::)

Then, you'll get the people who ask complex questions; e.g., "Oh, that's great and all, but if machines built superior mass, how come more bodybuilding champs don't favor them?"  A complex question is like asking a man, "Hey, do you still beat your wife?"  Yes -- oh, hell.  You're a wife-beater.  No?  Oh, well, you used to beat her, then ;)

Part of the reason more guys don't use them is because they're dumb. Simple as that.

Even the brighter than average watch their heroes toil away with flat bench, squats and deadlifts, so they mimic that.

Then there are the biggest, strongest pros.  They tend to use at least some free weights is because there aren't many machines out there that can accommodate their strength.  When you're one of those blokes that purportedly inclines 495 for a few reps, that's like 7-8 plates/side on the Hammer Incline.  I've yet to see one which can hold more than 5 or maybe 6 plates/side.  My model can't hold more than 4 wheels and a 25/side.

Further, in reality, a LOT of guys do largely machine-based training.  Have any of you ever watched Vince Taylor or Bob Chick train?  

It's funny:  those guys are called pussies and such for shying away from free weights, albeit the fact that Chick has benched over 500 in his younger days.  But I bet the naysayers never did 20-30 reps per leg with the full stack on the Nautilus Duo-Squat with the seat set all the way forward.  Good for the spine?  No.  But hard-core?  Oh ... *LOL*.  

My biceps supinator is unique in that you can add weight to the supination or twisting movement independent of the curling movement. I would put my machine up against anything else including free weights. If and only if you can get your biceps sore will they grow rapidly. It isn't at all easy to do. Triceps are much easier to get sore. [/color]

The opposite is actually true for me.  My triceps rarely get very sore, but even when they don't, I'll gain strength at a rapid rate.  I gave up on regular pressdowns because I was forced to turn to the pulldown station for sufficient resistance.

On the other hand, I can do one work set of a curling movement taken beyond failure and one work set of a hammer-type curl, also taken beyond failure, and my biceps will be sore for many days week after week.

But I do bet your biceps supinator machine is something else.  I'd love to try it but the odds of me visiting the land down under are slim :(

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #834 on: January 11, 2012, 02:51:13 PM »
The Nautilus duo squat machine is quite possibly the 2nd best machine I have ever used for building leg mass.
That is the first machine that ever made me throw up after doing a set.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #835 on: January 11, 2012, 03:43:39 PM »

comedy gold

I have never used a gimmick account on Getbig. Guys that do that lack integrity. Anything I have to say I say it under my own name. Now, that takes guts....something most here lack.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #836 on: January 11, 2012, 03:48:20 PM »
The Nautilus duo squat machine is quite possibly the 2nd best machine I have ever used for building leg mass.
That is the first machine that ever made me throw up after doing a set.

The compression caused by unmodified Duo Squat machines was a worry so I modified our two machines. The angle is much higher so makes them safer to use. I would modify the cam but it is a big job. It doesn't need to be so heavy at the end of the movement.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #837 on: January 11, 2012, 03:49:28 PM »
Great machine.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #838 on: January 11, 2012, 03:58:23 PM »
The lying triceps extension requires side pads. When you use a resistance that lets you do less than 10 reps your elbows tend to move away from your head. Being restricted places much more tension on the triceps on my version. I rate the MedX triceps machine as excellent. However it needs a better grip on the handles so the hands can push against them. It is the only machine I have used that provides more resistance near the completion of the extension.

To stimulate hypertrophy you have to put the target muscle under about 2 minutes of severe tension. You can't easily do that on a pressdown machine. That is why you have to do many, many maximum sets taken to the limit. There is no easy way to achieve this that is also safe.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #839 on: January 11, 2012, 04:05:27 PM »
Who else here has invented a biceps machine? Or made one? My biceps-supinator is a great machine. The other day I looked long and hard at the pads behind the arms and removed them! There were one auto adjustment and two selectable adjustments for the position of the pads. It appears they aren't necessary! The simpler a machine the better is what I aim at. Now the lads might use this machine more.
Most of the muscleheads stay in the free weight room to train biceps. I almost never use free weights except for squats.

Inchdisciple

• Getbig II
« Reply #840 on: January 11, 2012, 06:17:04 PM »
You have an excellent gym with some great machines. What is your excuse for rarely having trained for the past 40 years? Today you look as though you have never trained Just another fat slob. You need to hire a personal trainer who can whip your sorry ass into shape. Taking up Crossfit would help a lot. Stop worrying about your shapeless weak flabby 16'' arms, and lose about 60 or 70 pounds of blubber. You are a disgrace to all your fellow senior citizens.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #841 on: January 11, 2012, 07:20:13 PM »
Listen to the flotsam. Have any of you guys ever looked at people who were born in 1942? Most look over the hill. I am still not under it.

By the end of this year I should look good on any beach. Maybe I will get a photo taken on Bondi Beach at Christmas just for the anonymous jetsom on Getbig.

Just carrying a tad too much safety fat at the moment. It is nothing to worry about.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #842 on: January 11, 2012, 07:25:02 PM »

Just carrying a tad too much safety fat at the moment. It is nothing to worry about.

Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #843 on: January 11, 2012, 07:47:03 PM »
Who else here has invented a biceps machine? Or made one? My biceps-supinator is a great machine. The other day I looked long and hard at the pads behind the arms and removed them! There were one auto adjustment and two selectable adjustments for the position of the pads. It appears they aren't necessary! The simpler a machine the better is what I aim at. Now the lads might use this machine more.
Most of the muscleheads stay in the free weight room to train biceps. I almost never use free weights except for squats.

"The simpler a machine the better"????

Your machine looks like Robby the robot....talk about overkill.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #844 on: January 11, 2012, 07:49:16 PM »

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #845 on: January 11, 2012, 07:49:18 PM »
"The simpler a machine the better"????

Your machine looks like Robby the robot....talk about overkill.
What machine could be simpler than a dumbell? LOL!
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #846 on: January 11, 2012, 07:51:35 PM »
Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURUVince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURUVince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince Basile DBALL GURU Vince

LMAO

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #847 on: January 11, 2012, 07:59:14 PM »
There is no easy way to design an arm machine that provides resistance in two degrees of freedom. A robot is much easier to make. A human has to sit inside this machine to operate it thus requiring external mechanisms that provide resistance for curling and supinating or twisting.

The machine I built was probably the most complicated cable machine ever installed in a gym. It had 9 adjustments for pads, foot rest, arm length, and weights. Now it has only 6.

A dumbbell is simple, indeed, but can't easily provide supination. Well, it could if the handle was offset and more weight was on one side. Might be something worth looking at. At least for dumbbells up to about 50 or 60 pounds. Yes, this would be a simple solution and very effective even for bodybuilders to use. Can't say I have seen any such dumbbells in a gym. Might make a few to see how they work in the gym. There might be a sweet spot where the proportion is 70-30, 60-40, or something similar.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #848 on: January 11, 2012, 08:00:42 PM »
There is no easy way to design an arm machine that provides resistance in two degrees of freedom. A robot is much easier to make. A human has to sit inside this machine to operate it thus requiring external mechanisms that provide resistance for curling and supinating or twisting.

The machine I built was probably the most complicated cable machine ever installed in a gym. It had 9 adjustments for pads, foot rest, arm length, and weights. Now it has only 6.

A dumbbell is simple, indeed, but can't easily provide supination. Well, it could if the handle was offset and more weight was on one side. Might be something worth looking at. At least for dumbbells up to about 50 or 60 pounds. Yes, this would be a simple solution and very effective even for bodybuilders to use. Can't say I have seen any such dumbbells in a gym. Might make a few to see how they work in the gym. There might be a sweet spot where the proportion is 70-30, 60-40, or something similar.

I want my cut of the profits on the dumbell idea. >:(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #849 on: January 11, 2012, 08:03:05 PM »

I always had this neat little thing called a WRIST to provide supination...