Author Topic: The Getbig experiment. Training photo at 69.  (Read 163467 times)

Ropo

• Getbig IV
Re: The Getbig experiment. Training photo at 69.
« Reply #1175 on: April 08, 2012, 12:01:22 AM »
This is what most believe. Unfortunately most of those beliefs are false. 'Overtraining doesn't explaine the lack of progress.  You ingest 2 to 4 times the protein you need.

Just what I figure, you are talking like you have invent bodybuilding all over again from the scratch, and everybody in the business has been wrong about everything from the beginning of the time. You are only author on this globe who has got it right, you know it for sure, but there is few minor little things between everlasting glory and yourself. A. you only have some claims, nothing concrete and B. You look like fat old man. It seem to me, that you are just delusional old jerk without any ability to prove his claims. Even there is only few reliable studies about the physics of bodybuilding, there is plenty of studies about the nutrients and just about everything else, so I am willing to believe that you don't posses any knowledge which is above those proved facts. Bodybuilding is a sport which is widely based on different kind of beliefs, which are build from little details what we have found here and there, and which seem to fit together to form absolute truth. Just like everlasting debate about the amount of the protein you have to eat go gain mass. Thumb rule based from studies is 1 to 2 grams of protein per lean kilo of bodyweight. In USA it is per lean lb of bodyweight, so it is already almost double. If you are on gear, they tell you that you can double or triple the amount, so you ending up to eat 12 grams per lean kilo of bodyweight. 1 to 2 grams is based on studies, added 10 grams is based on beliefs. This is how it works. Your theory is based on beliefs, until you have some concrete evidence to show us. Pictures about your fat elbow isn't it. When I read your rant about the subject, I face new kind of problem, because there isn't expression I know of to use to translate Finnish word "myötähäpeä". Myötähäpeä is what I feel, because you clearly believe you are right, but you are not. That word means shame shared among by others, when they see dumb ass fuck make a fool from himself. For example, if you see old geezer in the library and he has crap in his pants, you feel sorry for him but you feel also myötähäpeä. Got it?

Secret Stack

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1176 on: April 17, 2012, 08:15:51 PM »
I didn't recognize you with the black font.

he just hung himself

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #1177 on: May 17, 2012, 12:36:16 PM »
Just checking in mate. How goes the transformation? Not long before it's coming up to a year!

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #1178 on: May 17, 2012, 02:49:11 PM »
LMFAO with this so called Getbig Experiment that never took place

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #1179 on: May 17, 2012, 02:51:52 PM »
Just checking in mate. How goes the transformation? Not long before it's coming up to a year!
He is probably happy he can still control his bladder at the moment.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #1180 on: May 17, 2012, 03:00:44 PM »
He is probably happy he can still control his bladder at the moment.

It takes Basile 30 seconds to take a piss but 5 minutes to leave the urinal

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #1181 on: May 17, 2012, 03:59:28 PM »
about time we had some new elbow shots

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1182 on: May 17, 2012, 10:49:52 PM »
about time we had some new elbow shots

Well unlike some guys in this thread, I am not yet 69 years old; I am only 67. I am not making any anouncements about the way us older folks can pack on muscle. In fact, I have not even hit the gym for a couple of months and yet I feel good and think I look about the same as when I was going to the gym 6 days a week. However, I do understand how some may feel the need to convince others that they are still in the game. Bodybuilding is an addictive lifestyle. But honestly, it is better suited to younger folks. At my age, going to the gym and exercising is really all about being healthy and not being some overly muscled hunk....give me a break!

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #1183 on: May 17, 2012, 11:51:27 PM »
Well unlike some guys in this thread, I am not yet 69 years old; I am only 67. I am not making any anouncements about the way us older folks can pack on muscle. In fact, I have not even hit the gym for a couple of months and yet I feel good and think I look about the same as when I was going to the gym 6 days a week. However, I do understand how some may feel the need to convince others that they are still in the game. Bodybuilding is an addictive lifestyle. But honestly, it is better suited to younger folks. At my age, going to the gym and exercising is really all about being healthy and not being some overly muscled hunk....give me a break!

Good stuff mate. I always like your posts. Wisdom from someone has lived and learned and retained enough sense to make his older age a graceful one. Vince still think he could get big and ripped and pull the 20yo old girlies down Bondi Beach.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1184 on: May 18, 2012, 01:35:40 AM »
I took a couple of months off to prepare for a masters athletics competition. I am more interested in photography than bodybuilding or athletics. Motivation is paramount for success in bodybuilding. I still think older guys can get big but they really have to train in a different fashion to both cope with and avoid chronic injuries. Getting really big requires an extraordinary effort and lifting heavy weights. Only those who are crazy think it is worth all the effort. I may get back to training again as I enjoyed how I felt when my arms were growing.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1185 on: May 18, 2012, 01:55:54 AM »
Melbourne is a day's drive from Sydney.  Here is one of my favourite photos of my visit.
This is a panorama of several photos. The tower is mostly apartments. Great place to live. There is a
viewing level near the top.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #1186 on: May 18, 2012, 03:45:34 AM »
So one could deduct from your non-committal posts that the experiment was ... unsuccessful. Do you now admit that it was foolhardy even thinking that your formal physique (built on Dbol) was attainable at your advanced age?

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #1187 on: May 18, 2012, 03:53:52 AM »
I took a couple of months off to prepare for a masters athletics competition. I am more interested in photography than bodybuilding or athletics. Motivation is paramount for success in bodybuilding. I still think older guys can get big but they really have to train in a different fashion to both cope with and avoid chronic injuries. Getting really big requires an extraordinary effort and lifting heavy weights. Only those who are crazy think it is worth all the effort. I may get back to training again as I enjoyed how I felt when my arms were growing.

Yes, it is an effort to get big and stay that way. It takes hard and consistent training, but this you know as well as anyone. I'm also not sure about your 'crazy' comment since you've been a bodybuilder for over 50 years. Did you spend your life being crazy? The only crazy thing in my opinion would be is to make bodybuilding your life instead of making it PART of your life.

You don't have the will or discipline any more. The dream is over for you. And so it should be. Enjoy your old age, hobbies and friends. I'm happy that you stopped chasing this crazy theory as it was doomed from the start. All you can do now is to follow a light regimen with as much cardio as you can stand and light weights. You'll feel better and save yourself the risk of injury.

Either way, well done for proving that it DOESN'T work.

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1188 on: May 18, 2012, 04:43:00 AM »
You look like fat old man. It seem to me, that you are just delusional old jerk without any ability to prove his claims.  Myötähäpeä is what I feel, because you clearly believe you are right, but you are not. That word means shame shared among by others, when they see dumb ass fuck make a fool from himself. For example, if you see old geezer in the library and he has crap in his pants, you feel sorry for him but you feel also myötähäpeä. Got it?

Well thats a pretty brutal but accurate summing up I think.

Unfortunately Vince won't care. He is a wind up artist (or troll in todays language) of the first order.  He loves getting a rise out of everyone on here. Total piss taker and everyone falls for it.  He's a comedy genius  ;D

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1189 on: May 18, 2012, 04:56:17 AM »
I am amusing most of the time. However, I never make jokes about hypertrophy or gym equipment.

It is crazy to lift heavy weights and try to look good for other blokes. After all these years this reality is obvious to me. That takes a bit of the motivation away from looking muscular. Women like a fit guy but don't seem turned on by musclemen. That is the way it has always been. Oh, yes, there are some women who fancy big, muscular men but they are few and far between.

When I had chronic pain in my forearms that put a dent in my training. Just to do cardio and look like a swimmer doesn't interest me in the slightest. I do hiking around carrying a lot of photography equipment and that is about as fit as I get. I proved that I can still grow rapidly but because of past injuries it is tricky overcoming them and getting bigger than ever. It is still possible but it will take me longer and that sort of spoils the whole project. Young guys think they know it all and many on this thread give me advices. What a joke. After 54 years training I hardly need to be lectured by anyone. I don't know everything about training but who does on this forum? Most of the guys here can't even be man enough to post under their real names and show their faces in photos. That is rather pathetic but it does take courage to be oneself on Getbig.

So the experiment is incomplete. I never got around to doing stage two where I would train other bodyparts.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #1190 on: May 18, 2012, 05:29:06 AM »
One thing I wish Vince would do is to chronicle bodybuilding the last 50 years. He truly does seem to have a encyclopedic memory when it comes to names, placings, etc. Tell the stories us young guys never got to hear or never got to read. How the sport evolved, regimens, drug protocols, etc. The characters. The contests. To my knowledge no such work exists. Vince would be an ideal person to write such a book.

However, it's a shame you'll never do since that's a good way to leave your mark in a sport you've loved and been involved in your whole life.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #1191 on: May 18, 2012, 05:39:17 AM »
I am amusing most of the time. However, I never make jokes about hypertrophy or gym equipment.

It is crazy to lift heavy weights and try to look good for other blokes. After all these years this reality is obvious to me. That takes a bit of the motivation away from looking muscular. Women like a fit guy but don't seem turned on by musclemen. That is the way it has always been. Oh, yes, there are some women who fancy big, muscular men but they are few and far between.

When I had chronic pain in my forearms that put a dent in my training. Just to do cardio and look like a swimmer doesn't interest me in the slightest. I do hiking around carrying a lot of photography equipment and that is about as fit as I get. I proved that I can still grow rapidly but because of past injuries it is tricky overcoming them and getting bigger than ever. It is still possible but it will take me longer and that sort of spoils the whole project. Young guys think they know it all and many on this thread give me advices. What a joke. After 54 years training I hardly need to be lectured by anyone. I don't know everything about training but who does on this forum? Most of the guys here can't even be man enough to post under their real names and show their faces in photos. That is rather pathetic but it does take courage to be oneself on Getbig.

So the experiment is incomplete. I never got around to doing stage two where I would train other bodyparts.

No I'm pretty sure you concluded that it's not possible to regain your 1970 condition. Us Flotsam knew this at the start. It IS however possible to improve tremendously at ANY age but it gets harder. I'm 31 and it's already harder from when I was 18.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #1192 on: May 18, 2012, 05:53:30 AM »
Biggest self owning ever, if not it had been clear to all of getbig from the start except of Vince.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #1193 on: May 19, 2012, 06:38:34 AM »
Biggest self owning ever, if not it had been clear to all of getbig from the start except of Vince.
X2

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1194 on: May 19, 2012, 10:15:22 AM »
I am almost as old as Vince. Unlike him, I was never a competitive bodybuilder....just a fellow who likes to be in shape and healthy. My inspiration to bodybuild was because as a teenager, I was rail thin and wanted to get bigger. Eventually, I achieved this. Having done that, I realized that it changed nothing about who I was, just how I looked to others.  I have stayed with bodybuilding, continuing to work out today, even today at 67 years old. Thanks to this and being sensible about diet and exercise, I enjoy really excellent health for the most part. I no long desire to be "big" though, just being fit is good for me.

There is a fellow who works out at the same gym I do who is probably in his 50's. He's pretty huge and definitely works out heavy. What is interesting is to watch him move. He appears to be in constant pain. Obviously, something is not working right. I suspect he is trying workout like he did when he was young and it is just plain abusive to his body. This really seem counterproductive. He's a model for what folks shouldn't do.

Vince made a couple of good points. Most women aren't turned on by big muscles, they like men who look fit. Secondly, a person can add muscle even if they are a senior citizen, if they are willing to do what it takes to accomplish this. And sometimes it just takes too much and simply isn't healthy or wise. Big arms are nice, but they aren't worth having ruined joints. Obviously, Vince has seen the light now.

My rule of thumb is to not offer workout advice unless someone asked me for it.

silverback1984

• Getbig II
« Reply #1195 on: May 19, 2012, 04:47:07 PM »
gud stuff man keep it up

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #1196 on: May 19, 2012, 04:51:33 PM »
I am almost as old as Vince. Unlike him, I was never a competitive bodybuilder....just a fellow who likes to be in shape and healthy. My inspiration to bodybuild was because as a teenager, I was rail thin and wanted to get bigger. Eventually, I achieved this. Having done that, I realized that it changed nothing about who I was, just how I looked to others.  I have stayed with bodybuilding, continuing to work out today, even today at 67 years old. Thanks to this and being sensible about diet and exercise, I enjoy really excellent health for the most part. I no long desire to be "big" though, just being fit is good for me.

There is a fellow who works out at the same gym I do who is probably in his 50's. He's pretty huge and definitely works out heavy. What is interesting is to watch him move. He appears to be in constant pain. Obviously, something is not working right. I suspect he is trying workout like he did when he was young and it is just plain abusive to his body. This really seem counterproductive. He's a model for what folks shouldn't do.

Vince made a couple of good points. Most women aren't turned on by big muscles, they like men who look fit. Secondly, a person can add muscle even if they are a senior citizen, if they are willing to do what it takes to accomplish this. And sometimes it just takes too much and simply isn't healthy or wise. Big arms are nice, but they aren't worth having ruined joints. Obviously, Vince has seen the light now.

My rule of thumb is to not offer workout advice unless someone asked me for it.

Primemuscle I'm curious what sort of workouts you usually do at your age?  Being fit at 67 is impressive.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1197 on: May 19, 2012, 10:00:32 PM »
Primemuscle I'm curious what sort of workouts you usually do at your age?  Being fit at 67 is impressive.

I bore easily. Therefore, variety in routines is what keeps me working out and staying fit. One thing I have discovered is that my recovery time takes longer. If I am working out heavy, I work each muscle group once per week with the exception of calves. I limit my total workout time to never more than an hour, not counting cardio which I sometimes do post weights and other times pre weights. This routine is six days a week. It may seem like a lot of days, but then I am retired and have the time.

I never lift if I don't feel well, which is rare. Every so often, I take time off completely from going to the gym for a week or two....sometimes longer.

Sometimes I will do a more usual split routine and go lighter with fewer days per week. I've found for me that just showing up at the gym is all it takes to stay engaged. Fortunately, the gym where I go has an olympic sized pool....so if nothing else strikes me, I can always swim laps for a half hour or so.

I am not a fanatic when it comes to diet. I try to eat reasonably healthy most of the time. Today, I craved a % Guys hamburger and fries for lunch. This is a rare occurrence. Sometimes I take Creatine and most of the time I add meals by drinking protein drinks because eating five times a day gets boring. For most of my life I tended to be rather thin unless I ate a lot. That's changed since I retired. Not that I am fat, but I am holding at 197 lbs. @ 5' 11". The most I've weighed for more than a day is 225 lbs. The least I've weighed in the past ten years is 180 lbs. I feel like I look too thin at 180.

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1198 on: May 19, 2012, 11:07:15 PM »

So if your superior methods and hi tech equipment doesn't work at all, you quit and start to do something complete different? In same situation, and I have been there plenty of times, I admit to myself that I have been wrong and learn to do it right. Unlike you, I learn more every day, because I know that I don't know everything like you do ;D

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1199 on: May 19, 2012, 11:33:30 PM »
As an engineer I know there are often many solutions to problems. I was discussing the soreness in my forearms with a gym member and saw instantly that it was the pronation of the wrists that caused the pain when heavy resistance was used in the lying triceps extension exercise. I have modified a Nautilus triceps machine and this can be used without having to pronate my wrists. So I can resume training my arms and avoid the pain that occurred recently.

Losing body fat while retaining sufficient muscle size is a real challenge for 69+ year old bodybuilders.