Author Topic: Man executed for dragging death of James Byrd  (Read 3916 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Man executed for dragging death of James Byrd
« on: September 21, 2011, 06:44:04 PM »
Okra??  Who the heck eats Okra as part of their last meal??  One of the worst foods on the planet. 

This execution is right in line with what Perry said during his first debate:  don't mess with Texas. 

Man executed for dragging death of James Byrd
By the CNN Wire Staff
updated 7:45 PM EST, Wed September 21, 2011

(CNN) -- Lawrence Russell Brewer was executed in Texas Wednesday evening for his involvement in the infamous dragging death of a black man 13 years ago.

Brewer, 44, was one of three men convicted for involvement in the murder of James Byrd.

He was executed by lethal injection at 6:21 p.m. local time (7:21 p.m. ET) Wednesday , according to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Brewer ate a huge final meal, according to Texas Department of Criminal Justice spokesman Jason Clark. It consisted of chicken fried steaks, a triple-meat bacon cheeseburger, a cheese omelet, a bowl of fried okra, barbeque, fajitas, pizza, and a slab of peanut butter fudge with crushed peanuts.

After the meal, Brewer was given time to make phone calls to family and friends.

Brewer and two other white men kidnapped the 49-year-old black man on the night of June 7, 1998. They chained him by the ankles to the back of a pickup truck and dragged him for 3 ½ miles down a country road near Jasper, Texas. Byrd died when he was decapitated after he hit a culvert.

Prosecutors said the crime, which they described it as one of the most vicious hate crimes in U.S. history, was intended to promote Brewer's fledgling white supremacist organization. During his 1999 trial, they called Brewer a racist psychopath.

Brewer was a former "Exalted Cyclops" of a racist prison gang affiliated with the Ku Klux Klan. He spent most of his adult life in prison for burglary, cocaine possession and parole violations.

During the trial, Brewer took the witness stand and contended that he was a bystander, not a killer.

He tearfully admitted being present when Byrd was dragged to his death but, he said, "I didn't mean to cause his death. I had no intentions of killing anybody."

Brewer said accomplice John William King initiated the killing by fighting with Byrd. He also said the third defendant, Shawn Berry, slashed Byrd's throat and then chained him to Berry's pickup. Brewer admitted kicking Byrd and spraying Byrd's face with black paint.

But he said it was a reflex action taken to try to break up the fight between Byrd and King.

When Brewer was sentenced to death in 1999, Jasper County District Attorney Guy James Gray said that, while he did not personally favor the death penalty, it was necessary in Brewer's case.

"This is a situation where if you don't give the death penalty to this man, he will kill again," said Gray.

To impose the death penalty, the jurors in Brewer's trial had to answer three questions under Texas law:

-- Would Brewer be a threat to society in the future;

-- Did Brewer mean to kill Byrd;

-- And, were there mitigating circumstances that would warrant sparing Brewer's life?

To sentence Brewer to death, the jurors voted unanimously on each question -- answering the first two yes and the last no.

The execution was the 11th this year in Texas, the most active death-penalty state.

King also was sentenced to death and is awaiting the outcome of an appeal. The third man, Berry, was sentenced to life in prison.

In 2009, President Barack Obama signed into law expanded hate crime legislation that was named after Byrd and Mathew Shepard, a gay Wyoming teenager who died after being kidnapped and severely beaten in October 1998.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/21/justice/texas-dragging-death-execution/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Re: Man executed for dragging death of James Byrd
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 06:47:32 PM »
Fried okra is really good actually.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 06:54:57 PM »
Ride the Lightning. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 07:00:17 PM »

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 08:46:18 PM »
DUDE fried okra is freaking awesome bro!!!

chicken fried steak covered in country gravy, mashed potatos with country gravy and fried okra with some salt...

Goodness gracious bro you would be in heaven.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 08:50:14 PM »
DUDE fried okra is freaking awesome bro!!!

chicken fried steak covered in country gravy, mashed potatos with country gravy and fried okra with some salt...

Goodness gracious bro you would be in heaven.

We don't have that in NYC. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 08:50:46 PM »
I've had okra.  Absolutely disgusting (boiled or fried).  It's up there with squash and eggplant on the gross scale.    

The rest of his meal sounded pretty good:  chicken fried steaks, a triple-meat bacon cheeseburger, a cheese omelet, barbeque, fajitas, pizza, and a slab of peanut butter fudge with crushed peanuts.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 08:51:44 PM »
We don't have that in NYC. 
gotta come down to the great state of Tx my man, lots of rib sticking food down here

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 08:52:34 PM »
I've had okra.  Absolutely disgusting (boiled or fried).  It's up there with squash and eggplant on the gross scale.   

The rest of his meal sounded pretty good:  chicken fried steaks, a triple-meat bacon cheeseburger, a cheese omelet, barbeque, fajitas, pizza, and a slab of peanut butter fudge with crushed peanuts.
Hmmm I dont see how you cant like friend okra...do you like gumbo?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 08:52:45 PM »
gotta come down to the great state of Tx my man, lots of rib sticking food down here

seems like I am destined to the concrete jungle.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 08:55:26 PM »

Man that stuff is disgusting.  Tried it.  Hated it.  Got in much trouble as a kid for refusing to eat it (along with squash and eggplant).   :) 

Don't like gumbo either. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 08:56:27 PM »
Man that stuff is disgusting.  Tried it.  Hated it.  Got in much trouble as a kid for refusing to eat it (along with squash and eggplant).   :) 

Don't like gumbo either. 
dude youre missing out man...nothing like some good gumbo especially during the winter at a football game or something when its cold outside.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 08:58:02 PM »
I swear, living in NYC, I feel as though I live in a foreign nation half the time. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 09:00:38 PM »
dude youre missing out man...nothing like some good gumbo especially during the winter at a football game or something when its cold outside.

My food world is pretty finite.  I don't like trying new stuff most of the time.  But my taste buds don't suffer. 

My football food is garlic fries at Aloha Stadium. 

Winter?  Is that when you get that white stuff on the ground?   :D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 09:05:57 PM »
My food world is pretty finite.  I don't like trying new stuff most of the time.  But my taste buds don't suffer. 

LMFAO!   trying to get my jet ski out one last time down by statue of liberty and Brooklyn bridge and also getting my cold weather gear ready. 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 09:07:49 PM »
Fried okra is really good actually.

This

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 09:11:32 PM »

LOL here in houston its when the temp drops below 50 :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 09:16:02 PM »
LMFAO!   trying to get my jet ski out one last time down by statue of liberty and Brooklyn bridge and also getting my cold weather gear ready. 

I guess this is fall.  Good season for mainland weather (along with spring).  I don't really keep track of seasons.  We have like a 5 - 7 degree daytime fluctuation year round. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 09:17:01 PM »
LOL here in houston its when the temp drops below 50 :)

It gets below 70 at night people break out the cold weather gear.   :)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 10:20:14 PM »
You guys realize you're disagreeing with someone from freaking Hawaii over a dish that's popular in the south.  He's probably never once had it made right.  He probably had it from a frozen bag boiled in water and said, "don't you ever cook that again"

Okra is good, fried and in gumbo.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 10:23:50 PM »
You know what's really disgusting!  Poi...  I tasted that crap and could not imagine why one would put that in their mouth a second time.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 03:52:20 AM »
You know what's really disgusting!  Poi...  I tasted that crap and could not imagine why one would put that in their mouth a second time.
what is poi?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 03:57:50 AM »
what is poi?
I have no idea what it is.  If you want to know what it tastes like, gobble down some elmers glue lol...  They eat it in Hawaii :-X

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 05:06:45 AM »
I love eggplant. Most of the world's eggplant comes from NJ.

Squash is ok depending on how its prepared.

For all the blacks on this forum ( I tend to notice that most blacks in general are opposed to the death penalty-- for understandable reasons) that are against capital punishment, do you feel the punishment was justified here?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 05:14:56 AM »
Another vote for okra being disgusting.  And I am from the South.  Georgia as a matter of fact. 

Boiled okra looks like a snot balloon with that slime all over it.  Fuck eating that shit.