Author Topic: I remember when  (Read 12632 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
I remember when
« on: September 26, 2011, 09:37:44 AM »
Tix cost $2.50 for general admission, $5 for ringside area and $10 for front row seats.

Ramming your opponent's head into the steel post automatically required him to be stretchered out.

A chair shot could send someone out with an injury for 2 months.

The sleeper hold actually worked and won matches.  Ditto for the abdominal stretch.

The Road Warriors matches were the best because they didn't waste time with silly armbars and chinlocks.

Nikita Koloff once wrapped a chain around his arm and clotheslined Magnum TA across the throat.  In the slow mo replay you could clearly see his arm smacking directly into TAs adam apple.  Amazingly the throat survived crippling damage, but the next week TA was on tv with a black eye and lacerated forehead due to the move.  Even though it never touched his face.

You could smoke in the wrestling arena.  And 80% of people did.  Nonstop.  Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin used to cause a near riot because he threatened to walk out of the building and not wrestle if all the "peanut head slobs" didn't put out their cigerettes because the smoke was "making his luscious curls frizzy out"   His valet (wife) would be walking around spraying a can of air fresher in the air.

Referees seemed to have better eyesight and heels had to be crafty in their cheating.

The Midnight Express had the greatest double team moves of all.

-more to come,

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: I remember when
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 03:41:08 PM »
Excellent!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 10:14:39 AM »
-- Tagteams had to hold onto that little rope in the corner....it added drama to tags and they used it to choke opponents with.

--  You could tell just from the entrance if a guy was a face or heel....and he would prove it throughout the match.

--  Buying a photo of your favorite wrestler and having them sign it at a table set-up at the local HS gym.

-- Buzz Sawyers win streak on GCW TV being broken by Pistol Pez Whatley who would later become Shasta Whatley.

-- A heel, such as Arn Anderson or the Masked Superstar cutting a promo and you actually believing they were going to put some fan favorite out for good.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 02:19:55 PM »
Ric Flair had relinquished a singles title (the US Title I think) to defend the World Tag Title (I forget his partner...it was during one of his "face" runs)...they lost the title in some sort of "Dusty" finish...and I remember my Dad saying, "It seems like any time somebody wins a belt, it's because of some kind of fluke like that..."  Neither of us had fully caught on to the game at that point   :-\
~

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 12:40:54 PM »
Ric Flair had relinquished a singles title (the US Title I think) to defend the World Tag Title (I forget his partner...it was during one of his "face" runs)...they lost the title in some sort of "Dusty" finish...and I remember my Dad saying, "It seems like any time somebody wins a belt, it's because of some kind of fluke like that..."  Neither of us had fully caught on to the game at that point   :-\

haha, i don't think my dad ever has....  ;D

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 01:56:52 PM »
- seeing the Rockers doing identical moves simultaneously and thinking, "wow they must rehearse that in private for hours to wait for the right time to strike"

- i would get upset because my hero's were severely injured

- i would go to school the day after the PPV (when there were only the big 4 in wwf) and the entire class would discuss it

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 01:28:53 AM »
- seeing the Rockers doing identical moves simultaneously and thinking, "wow they must rehearse that in private for hours to wait for the right time to strike"

- i would get upset because my hero's were severely injured

- i would go to school the day after the PPV (when there were only the big 4 in wwf) and the entire class would discuss it

Before Al Gore invented the internet, the WWF one year had a 900 number you could call to get Wrestlemania results as they happened.  I called several times during WM IV.  When the phone bill came, I lied to my roommate and said the charges were for phone sex.  A lot less embarrassing.   :-[
~

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 08:34:23 AM »
I remember when the PPV channel was scrambled but you could still listen to it. Thats how Timmy experienced Mania III. Dad wouldn't put out the 20$ or whatever it cost then. I wouldn't have changed it if I had the chance. We had a Mania party/BBQ and were all sitting around the TV listening to it. The Queen of soul. VKM saying "Welcome to WM III!". The Savage vs Steamboat match. The noise from all the slams on the mat. Monsoon calling the shots. Then Hulkster slammed Andre. It was such an experience. Really really awesome! A$$ kicking badness!

Thats how i got the Rumble results when Slaughter beat Warrior for the title. Loved it. We had a number over here which you could call at £1 per minute to hear their voices and book tickets, it was almost as if we were speaking to them :) 0891-555-646, have never forgotten it in over 20 years.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 03:39:51 AM »
I always remember Bobby Heenan being the most hated guy. When seeing the Show live. He managed so many different guys he'd be ring side for alot of the show. Crowd booed him more then anyone else pretty much I've ever seen before. Chanting Weasel, Weasel, Weasel. He knew how to work the crowd. In my opinion he's one of the best in my lifetime.

We did that also when they came to the UK, it was brilliant.

TRUE STORY: At a live event in, i think, 93 in Sheffield UK Hacksaw Jim Duggan became the first man to not only knock down Yoko in WWF but to beat him also. The main event was Luger (then The Narcissist)vs Duggan with Yoko at ringside. Typically Yoko got involved as the match ended and they were beating him down until Hennig came storming down and handed their arses to both of them, i can still hear the crowd screaming as i think back..... ;D

It went off air but Duggan grabbed a mic and said something along the lines he was gonna give all the UK fans a treat by challenging Yoko right there to a match that only the live audience would see. They got into it, Fuji went to throw the salt and hit Yoko (think WM9), to which Hacksaw did the running clothesline and got him. One of the greatest experiences of my youth right there......

On a side note HBK was IC champ on the bill, Backlund, the Nasties, Demento, Headshrinkers all made appearances. Great times.

Only match i could find...

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 03:51:39 AM »
delighted........

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 08:00:10 AM »
I remember the wrestling program for $1 that you could buy at the matches that listed the night's events.  They always put a babyface like Wrestling II, Tommy Rich, or Dusty Rhodes on the front because heel covers never sold well.  Page 2 was 6-7 different photos of the current stars, Page 3 was the list of matches opponent vs opponent style.  Page 4 was the local advertisers like Ford, Lewis Tree Cutting service, etc..

- That front row seats never sold out completely when Abdullah was on the card.  People were actually scared of him.

- Growing up and attempting the Figure Four leglock on friends consisted of you spinning around their legs, laying down and kicking your foot in their balls.  Because you never got the "top" part right and couldn't leverage the ankle against the knee to cause pain.

- Faces would actually take on Masked Superstar, Spoiler, or someone else wearing a dark colored mask in a First Blood Match.  And always win by disqualification.

- you actually believe Sam Houston could beat Ric Flair. 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 11:56:06 AM »
I remember the wrestling program for $1 that you could buy at the matches that listed the night's events.  They always put a babyface like Wrestling II, Tommy Rich, or Dusty Rhodes on the front because heel covers never sold well.  Page 2 was 6-7 different photos of the current stars, Page 3 was the list of matches opponent vs opponent style.  Page 4 was the local advertisers like Ford, Lewis Tree Cutting service, etc..

- That front row seats never sold out completely when Abdullah was on the card.  People were actually scared of him.

- Growing up and attempting the Figure Four leglock on friends consisted of you spinning around their legs, laying down and kicking your foot in their balls.  Because you never got the "top" part right and couldn't leverage the ankle against the knee to cause pain.

- Faces would actually take on Masked Superstar, Spoiler, or someone else wearing a dark colored mask in a First Blood Match.  And always win by disqualification.

- you actually believe Sam Houston could beat Ric Flair. 

all great stuff...

How about when preliminary wrestlers were referred to as "the young lions" of professional wrestling?

When tag-team matches actually meant something?

When you watched the local show and during the promos for the upcoming events you would hope that your town or one near you popped up?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 02:51:47 PM »

LOL!!!!!

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 03:55:30 PM »
all great stuff...

How about when preliminary wrestlers were referred to as "the young lions" of professional wrestling?

When tag-team matches actually meant something?

When you watched the local show and during the promos for the upcoming events you would hope that your town or one near you popped up?

I remember Tony Schiavone reading upcoming events off of a cue card, just off center of the camera.
~

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 07:41:29 PM »
Same here but Howard Finkel was doing it. It was one of the highlights of the show. Finkel would announce the matches for the next show. Could be six months away. And the crowd would be cheering and excited. These were definitely the good old days.   
yes old msg matches ,finkel would announce the next month's card ,,and say pedro morales and muraco wrestled to a draw earlier in the night ,,,finkel would announce a return match for the intercontinental title with a stipulation it will be in a 'steel cage"!!!crowd would erupt.awesome time late seventies late eighties there,,,

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 11:23:42 AM »
i remember larry zybysko turning on sammartino and thinking that is the worst thing anyone could ever do to someone.and then not trusting anyone for a long time,think i was like 10.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 11:24:42 AM »
i remember larry zybysko turning on sammartino and thinking that is the worst thing anyone could ever do to someone.and then not trusting anyone for a long time,think i was like 10.

The "new" Living Legend....  ;D

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 07:41:04 AM »
When wrestling had sociology, and a good heel could control a crowds emotions,  and hold them in the palm of their hand. No heel works the crowd anymore,  they don't even know how to.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 07:48:57 AM »
The crowd didnt shout "WHAT?!" after every sentence, which is rather sad since its 10 years or so since it occurred with Austin. I HATE it with a passion.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 07:53:57 AM »
Barry Windham dressing as Sting at Halloween Havoc in order for Sid to become champ, loved it. Much better than the crap they had with Robocop

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 07:56:52 AM »
When a wrestler was on top because of his ability,  and because he was talented,  not because a corporation spent millions of dollars trying to cram him down your throats, trying to create something he's not.  

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 08:36:43 AM »
Boogie Woogie man carrying around a chalk board and chalk to "write" out his interviews because Paul Jones and the Barbarian injured his throat by giving him a double clothesline with an axe handle.

There used to be a match - can't remember the name of it - where a face and heel got in the ring with a partner.  The partner's would go to the opposite side of the ring (face to heel corner, heel to face corner) and when a buzzer sounded the partner would have 60 seconds to tie the opponent up in the corner with rope as tight as possible.  (The opponent was required to stand there and let them).  After 60 seconds were up a buzzer would sound and the partners would get out of the ring and the wrestlers would start trying to get free.  Whoever got free first (always the heel) would be able to go over and beat on their opponent as long as they wanted.  The way it always turned out was that as soon as the 60 seconds started the heel would either kick the face's partner in the balls so he couldn't tie him up or the heel's partner would tie a few quick knots on the face, rush over, clobber the face's partner from behind and untie the heel before rushing back to tie up in face in a bizarre sort of bondage attempt that had more complex knots than a room full of Eagle scouts would ever see in their life.  Which the face somehow managed to escape from, but not after five minutes of being beat down.   The end of the match usually happened when the heel backed up and rushed at the face in the corner just as he got the last knot free and moved, the heel crashed into the corner and the face rolled him up from behind. 

You actually believed the sleeper hold worked.  And your attempt as using it had you slapping your hand across your friend's forehead and pressing against his forehead as hard as  you could.  Never realizing you needed to constrict the blood flow at the neck points.  By the time mom broke it up, your friend had a red imprint of your hand on his forehead for the rest of the day.

Mike Enos was fired from WCW for appearing "commando" in tights on a live show and jumping all around while his junk very clearly bounced along with him.

Ronnie Garvin knocked Ox Baker out with some popcorn.  He didn't hit him with the bucket, but held the bucket and dashed the popcorn in his face.  You would have thought the city bus just hit Ox Baker as fast as he went down. 

There was some heel that was a "maniac" (or something) that when he beat his opponent (can't remember how) the guy was always unconscious and his manager could only revive the victim by placing a purple hankerchief over his face and quickly snatching it away.  At which point the guy would open his eyes and start gasping for air.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 12:03:47 PM »
The "new" Living Legend....  ;D

I always wondered if Bruno regretted that.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 01:09:33 PM »
I always wondered if Bruno regretted that.

I don't know for sure, but if I had to guess, I'd say no.
Larry has spoken well and highly of Bruno in several shoot interviews since his semi-retirement.
Bruno has been VERY vocal about anything wrestling-related that gives him the red ass over the last twenty years, and he hasn't mentioned anything.

Larry was Bruno's protege for a time. The two lifted weights and trained together in the basement of Bruno's Pittsburgh home.
I've always wondered how Bruno felt about Larry making it, but his son David never going anywhere.

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 01:29:00 AM »
I remember watching Royal Rumble 92 with my buds who had one of those cheater cable boxes; I wasn't even watching the tv shows by that point, but we'd always get together to watch the pay per views for free!...along with early versions of UFC which soon followed. 

By the time our cheater box stopped working, we were playing the Raw game on the Genesis and using the Razor's Edge and Tombstone on everybody, lol...and then came Stone Cold, who I really didn't like at the time but it brought with it a lot of great storylines and characters.

I remember watching a live event for the first time in 96, and for the first time realized how 'trailer park' wrasslin was...we had close seats, and after the first match of Rotundo and Jake the Snake (I think), I was stunned by how fake the moves were, how much the mat bounced, how much the arena stank of shit from the rodeo the previous night, and how creepy most of the fans were at this show!...so, we solved it by moving up to about mid-level in the arena, next to the wheelchair section: now, it looked just like it did on TV, and after a few slow matches, they blew the roof of the place with match after match: Goldust was especially hilarious, SWEARING on the mic (pretty shocking, IIRC), lol...culminating with Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker...overall, by the end of that night, I really thought it was awesome, and it was.  I didn't watch it live again until the 2000s, by then things had changed way too much.  But I did get to see Hogan as Mr America, lol...and Lesnar the first time around.