Author Topic: I remember when  (Read 12651 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: I remember when
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2012, 07:12:53 AM »
And, on the topic of stables in wrestling:
I always liked the "Bobby Heenan Family." Bobby claims to have gotten the idea, believe it or not, from Charles Manson, who at the time, was a big story in the news. Manson referred to his followers/cohorts as his "family." So, Heenan started the whole Heenan Family business around the late-60's (although, I'm not sure most people ever made the connection) and kept it until he retired from managing in the early 90's.  

I thought that the older inceptions of the Horsemen were cool, but I didn't like the later versions with guys like Mongo, Benoit, and Malenko.
I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but it seemed like "true" stables in wrestling died with the nWo.
At its apex, they had more guys in an nWo faction than not!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2012, 11:26:06 AM »
House of Humperdink  which was countered by Piper's Palace at one point, oh dear.

Legion of Doom...original one consisted of Bundy, Spoiler and the RW's with Paul managing if I remember correctly.

Paul Jones had Jones' Army....I think that eventually became the Powers of Pain.

Gart Hart always had a great stable.  Kabuki, etc...  liked his because it was always changing.

Skandar Akbar had a great one too in Texas vs the Von Erichs.

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2012, 02:16:28 AM »
        Jimmy Hart had The First Family of Wrestling back in the early 80's in Memphis, and I would see them on Georgia Championship Wrestling.  King Kong Bundy, Kevin Sullivan, Rick Rude, Eddie Gilbert and many many more.  Hart and his boys were always fueding with Jerry King Lawler and Tommy Wildfire Rich among others.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2012, 11:14:36 AM »
        Jimmy Hart had The First Family of Wrestling back in the early 80's in Memphis, and I would see them on Georgia Championship Wrestling.  King Kong Bundy, Kevin Sullivan, Rick Rude, Eddie Gilbert and many many more.  Hart and his boys were always fueding with Jerry King Lawler and Tommy Wildfire Rich among others.

Sullivans devil worshipper clique in Florida with Lewin, Roberts, etc... was very memorable.  I remember reading magazines and being afraid of Sullivan.... haha

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2012, 11:28:03 AM »
House of Humperdink  which was countered by Piper's Palace at one point, oh dear.

Legion of Doom...original one consisted of Bundy, Spoiler and the RW's with Paul managing if I remember correctly.

Paul Jones had Jones' Army....I think that eventually became the Powers of Pain.

Gart Hart always had a great stable.  Kabuki, etc...  liked his because it was always changing.

Skandar Akbar had a great one too in Texas vs the Von Erichs.

I always liked Gary Hart's persona.  From what I've read, he was a good guy...actually gave a damn about the wrestlers' well-being, etc.
~

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2012, 11:32:29 AM »
I always liked Gary Hart's persona.  From what I've read, he was a good guy...actually gave a damn about the wrestlers' well-being, etc.

I've read the same thing and he was very bright.  He was involved in a bad plane crash in the 70's and almost died from it from what I have read.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2012, 11:33:48 AM »
I've read the same thing and he was very bright.  He was involved in a bad plane crash in the 70's and almost died from it from what I have read.

Good interviews with him on the WCCW DVD

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2012, 11:35:50 AM »
Good interviews with him on the WCCW DVD

I'd like to see those.