Author Topic: The Afterlife  (Read 27749 times)

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
Re: The Afterlife
« Reply #275 on: October 04, 2011, 08:01:43 AM »
The truth of the matter is this -  The only people that know whether or not there is an afterlife are the dead.  And they're not talking. ;D

So where did the belief of afterlife come from?

Dipadidu

• Getbig IV
  • any problems? work out!
« Reply #276 on: October 04, 2011, 08:12:40 AM »
So where did the belief of afterlife come from?

No one wants to pass away...

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #277 on: October 04, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
you might base your relationship off of exclusivity, making each other feel special through mutual exclusion of all other people. feeding each others egos by acting like there arent any other attractive people in the world.

there are other people who dont need to feel special. they view themselves as a member of society, equal to the rest. they dont need their partner to act like there are no other suitable partners in the world. they can enjoy watching their loved one enjoy another person and be happy for them, and even turned on by the sight.

if done in a healthy manner, open relationships are an indication of extreme spiritual development. not immorality.

;)

That's a bunch of horsehit...sorry...there is such a thing as the sanctity of marriage...ego has nothing to do with it.

that's the problem with people these days...nobody knows how to say "no"...there is such a thing as restraint

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #278 on: October 04, 2011, 08:22:18 AM »
12 pages and no empirical proof of an afterlife. What a surprise.

I died of boredom back on page 4 and I'd just like to say that this afterlife business isn't all it's cracked up to be.  It's like an eternity in here!

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #279 on: October 04, 2011, 08:27:29 AM »
At all times I am reading the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, over and over, the day I Finnish is also they day I start again, the Bible contains massive amounts of history from the days of summer, Arcadian, Mesopotamia, Uric,.Elam, Babylonia, Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey, Israel, Arabia, Ethiopia, Persia, Greek, Spain, Rome,....the list is endless, and all of it's historical narratives on these nations have been verified to be extremely accurate.

Other portions of the Bible contain battles, warfare, famines, natural disasters, rise of empires and fall of nation,....along with poetry, wisdom in the form of proverbs, meanings to complex situations, prayers, Lamentations and cruelty.

Disturbances and chaos, people being burnt alive, heads getting cut off, thousands being massacred including woman and children, woman being raped, limbs getting ripped off, anything and everything you can think of is in the Bible including 1 man killing 69 of his brothers and a woman eating her infant cause she was hungry. What's my point?,.... that people make statements that the Bible has errors when they haven't even read it or even know of it's contents, well I have read it and I truly haven't come across an error and I have tried but there simply isn't one so if you can find one, bring it :)

Errors and outright contradictions and yes I have read the bible from cover to cover

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/page/bible-contradictions

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #280 on: October 04, 2011, 09:58:51 AM »
Adultery is clearly define. Having sex with a married woman is adultery whether or not you have the husband's or the wife's permission.

If someone is taking a knife to your family and cutting throats you would not try to hurt him to save other lives as well as your own? Do you think it is moral to do nothing to save another person from harm even if it means harming someone else?

Bestiality is not immoral as long as it's consensual?

They are perfect examples of what happens when people make their own rules. You will always be able to justify immoral acts if it suits you.

And I am the one very misguided.

You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #281 on: October 04, 2011, 10:00:35 AM »
In a life without God. In a life without immortality. Where there is no ultimate cosmic justice. The good are not rewarded, the bad are not punished. A Saint and a Sinner share the same cosmic fate. The concepts such as good and bad, right and wrong, simply becomes a matter of personal opinion. They become essentially meaningless. The logical conclusion is not necessarily evil. People will not start running wild stealing, raping, pillaging. People don't like to be hurt and will form pacts to guard and protect each other. There will be warring factions as there always was but I don't think there would be complete anarchy. The logical conclusion to a life where you can do anything that you think is OK is hedonism. To live just for pleasure. I'm sure many will ask what is wrong with that. Doing anything you want if it feels good. Tbombz (and this is not an attack) is a perfect example of that logical conclusion. A life of self indulgent hedonism. The only thing that prevents him for completely surrendering to a pure hedonistic life style is financial resources.

When you indulge the body you corrupt the soul.

the most pleasurable behavior is helping others.

;)

Xerxes

« Reply #282 on: October 04, 2011, 10:01:45 AM »

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #283 on: October 04, 2011, 10:09:28 AM »
That's a bunch of horsehit...sorry...there is such a thing as the sanctity of marriage...ego has nothing to do with it.

that's the problem with people these days...nobody knows how to say "no"...there is such a thing as restraint

whats the point of prohibiting your spouse from enjoying other people?

its ego, wanting to feel special. wanting someone to treasure you above all others.

this is even biblicaly supported.

34 And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage:

35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:

36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #284 on: October 04, 2011, 10:17:16 AM »

Errors and outright contradictions and yes I have read the bible from cover to cover

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/page/bible-contradictions

In case you are interested:

Hard Sayings of the Bible
When Skeptics Ask: A Handbook on Christian Evidences
Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics (Baker Reference Library)
From God To Us: How We Got Our Bible
When Critics Ask: A Popular Handbook on Bible Difficulties
New International Encyclopedia of Bible Difficulties
The New Evidence That Demands A Verdict
Exegetical Fallacies

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #285 on: October 04, 2011, 10:28:24 AM »

its ego, wanting to feel special. wanting someone to treasure you above all others.

34 And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage:

35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:

36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.

Luke 20 is not a license to swing tbombz....here's the full chapter for context's sake:

The Resurrection and Marriage

27Some of the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to Jesus with a question. 28“Teacher,” they said, “Moses wrote for us that if a man’s brother dies and leaves a wife but no children, the man must marry the widow and have children for his brother. 29Now there were seven brothers. The first one married a woman and died childless. 30The second 31and then the third married her, and in the same way the seven died, leaving no children. 32Finally, the woman died too. 33Now then, at the resurrection whose wife will she be, since the seven were married to her?”

34Jesus replied, “The people of this age marry and are given in marriage. 35But those who are considered worthy of taking part in that age and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage, 36and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God’s children, since they are children of the resurrection. 37But in the account of the bush, even Moses showed that the dead rise, for he calls the Lord ‘the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.’c 38He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive.”

39Some of the teachers of the law responded, “Well said, teacher!” 40And no one dared to ask him any more questions.

In addition, I've included a verse on marriage:

Hebrews 13:4  Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #286 on: October 04, 2011, 10:32:46 AM »
Luke 20 is not a license to swing tbombz....In addition, I've included a verse on marriage:

Hebrews 13:4  Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.

i knew the context

why do you think jesus said we dont marry in the next life?

they which...obtain that world...neither marry, nor are given in marriage...for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God

because in heaven we do not isolate ourselves from the other souls(angels), we are an individual in a community. we dont pair up and seperate. we dont need to feel special or better than the rest. we are all equals and we intermingle at will, everyone together, a massive orgy of spirits.

the quote from hebrews doesnt come from jesus, it comes from men.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #287 on: October 04, 2011, 10:33:26 AM »

I'm not going to go back and forth...I have my beliefs, you have yours.

Enjoy Hell  ;D

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #288 on: October 04, 2011, 10:36:10 AM »
I'm not going to go back and forth...I have my beliefs, you have yours.

Enjoy Hell  ;D
you want to feel special. you even said you would 'tear the limbs off a man who touched your woman". why ? because he would be actualizing your fear that another is able to bring pleasure to a woman who has experienced you.. making you, not special, not superior to others, but just one of MANY.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #289 on: October 04, 2011, 10:38:21 AM »
i knew the context

why do you think jesus said we dont marry in the next life?

they which...obtain that world...neither marry, nor are given in marriage...for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God

because in heaven we do not isolate ourselves from the other souls(angels), we are an individual in a community. we dont pair up and seperate. we dont need to feel special or better than the rest. we are all equals and we intermingle at will, everyone together, a massive orgy of spirits.

the quote from hebrews doesnt come from jesus, it comes from men.
I have no doubt you knew the context, but I wanted to make sure others got it as well.

tbombz, you often have a twisted way of viewing scripture to suit your purposes....I've read others examples of this from you, but didn't comment (ex: the idea that drug use is fine scripturally because the ten commandments are reconciled by Romans 13:9...something to that effect).  For those that belief, the bible is the inerrant, inspired word of God.  Certainly the quotes from Christ are precious, but the remainder inspired by God written by man is also of God.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #290 on: October 04, 2011, 10:44:16 AM »
I have no doubt you knew the context, but I wanted to make sure others got it as well.

tbombz, you often have a twisted way of viewing scripture to suit your purposes....I've read others examples of this from you, but didn't comment (ex: the idea that drug use is fine scripturally because the ten commandments are reconciled by Romans 13:9...something to that effect).  For those that belief, the bible is the inerrant, inspired word of God.  Certainly the quotes from Christ are precious, but the remainder inspired by God written by man is also of God.

because i dont believe in the bible. i use quotes from it to illustrate certain points when i feel doing so will be beneficial to the listener. certainly there are many wise things inside its pages. for example just about everything jesus supposedly said. the rest of the bible, the stuff not in red print, is much more prone to error. the idea of a vengeful god, the story of creation, the morals espoused..  all inaccurate for the most part.

morality is defined by how your behavior affects others. if you intentionally do something knowing that it might hurt another being then you have committed a sin.  if you intentionally do something knowing it will benefit another, then you have done a good deed.  any actions that fall outside of those two paramters are not immoral, not worthy of praise, but just ARE.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #291 on: October 04, 2011, 10:44:38 AM »
you want to feel special. you even said you would 'tear the limbs off a man who touched your woman". why ? because he would be actualizing your fear that another is able to bring pleasure to a woman who has experienced you.. making you, not special, not superior to others, but just one of MANY.

I have no illusions about being "special" and one of MANY...my girl has a kid for christ's sake...she's no virgin...I'm fine with it. I'm sure I'm not the first man to ever have good sex with her...that's delusional and egocentric , and something a 16 year old worries about.

Of course I want to feel special, and i am..and so is she to me...or else we wouldn't be together.  and that's right, put your hands on my woman and i will fuck your shit up  quick.  8)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #292 on: October 04, 2011, 10:46:58 AM »
because i dont believe in the bible. i use quotes from it to illustrate certain points when i feel doing so will be beneficial to the listener. certainly there are many wise things inside its pages. for example just about everything jesus supposedly said. the rest of the bible, the stuff not in red print, is much more prone to error. the idea of a vengeful god, the story of creation, the morals espoused..  all inaccurate for the most part.

morality is defined by how your behavior affects others. if you intentionally do something knowing that it might hurt another being then you have committed a sin.  if you intentionally do something knowing it will benefit another, then you have done a good deed.  any actions that fall outside of those two paramters are not immoral, not worthy of praise, but just ARE.

Gonna be real honest here, your first sentence cleared up all my confusion. 

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #293 on: October 04, 2011, 10:48:37 AM »

I have no illusions about being "special" and one of MANY...my girl has a kid for christ's sake...she's no virgin...I'm fine with it. I'm sure I'm not the first man to ever have good sex with her...that's delusional and egocentric , and something a 16 year old worries about.

Of course I want to feel special, and i am..and so is she to me...or else we wouldn't be together.  and that's right, put your hands on my woman and i will fuck your shit up  quick.  8)

i want to feel special too. open relationships arent for me, though at one time i wanted it. my faith in an afterlife isnt strong enough that i am willing to forgo earthly pleasures of the ego. though i strive to accept my equality with others, accept that im not special, and be humble in all endeavours.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #294 on: October 04, 2011, 10:49:19 AM »
Gonna be real honest here, your first sentence cleared up all my confusion. 
and what about the second paragraph

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #295 on: October 04, 2011, 11:10:43 AM »
Tbombz...  do you actually realize some of the things you say? I doubt Groink even read that post , I would of stopped at the first word and rolled my eyes.  Can you honestly tell me that you can sit back and watch another man with his hands on your girl or with another guy's dick up her ass? Stop trying to be " witty" all the time, your a cool intelligent guy but  You need fucking help dude. there is a time where things are just not even up for debate, and you trying to prove someone wrong on it only makes you look like a smartass trying to show people up, just being straight as to why I think you get alot of enemies on here.

look I dont care if its my ego, all I know is a girl I care about is having sexual relationships with another dude it pisses me off and fucking hurts. I dont need an explanation, I dont want to know why or care that matter cause its just the way it is. try to  be a "normal guy" for once
l

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #296 on: October 04, 2011, 11:15:21 AM »
look I dont care if its my ego, all I know is a girl I care about is having sexual relationships with another dude it pisses me off and fucking hurts.

im only arguing that cuckoldry and open relationships are not immoral; and pointing out that the reason why people have difficulties with accepting that is because of a strong emotional reaction driven by their ego.

if people respond negatively to that bit of information, which should be enlightening, then its due to their ignorance; and not a fault of my own. in time they may look back on my words and realize the wisdom therein. no thanks will be needed.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #297 on: October 04, 2011, 11:21:07 AM »
and what about the second paragraph

I read every word of your post.  I don't think you're a bad man tbombz LOL and I'm not gonna pass any judgement on you either.  If you don't belief in Christ, if you don't belief the bible is true I get that, but my hope is that in time your heart can be reconciled with it's full contents.  

Too many read the bible "cover to cover" with a purely clinical approach looking to identify flaws and/or to become so well versed in scripture that they're able to throw Christians off their game (and there is the rub....the game).  Their desire to read the bible has nothing to do with trying to undestand God or find answers, they're either playing a game or looking for loopholes, inconsistences....anythi ng to validate their own purposes, invalidate Christ and remove accountablility for their own actions past, present and future.  Now, am I suggesting you're playing a game with believers or that your motives are just as I stated?  No.  Am I suggesting that all other nonbelievers function in the capacity that I just outlined?  Absolutely not.  Unfortunately many do and some spend their entire lives in the pursuit of invalidating Christ never once humbling themselves and opening their hearts fully in a genuine attempt to understand "what all the religious fuss is about".  It's the love of God I want others to experience.  Many will scoff and ridicule me...so be it.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #298 on: October 04, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »
Tbombz...  do you actually realize some of the things you say? I doubt Groink even read that post , I would of stopped at the first word and rolled my eyes.  Can you honestly tell me that you can sit back and watch another man with his hands on your girl or with another guy's dick up her ass? Stop trying to be " witty" all the time, your a cool intelligent guy but  You need fucking help dude. there is a time where things are just not even up for debate, and you trying to prove someone wrong on it only makes you look like a smartass trying to show people up, just being straight as to why I think you get alot of enemies on here.

look I dont care if its my ego, all I know is a girl I care about is having sexual relationships with another dude it pisses me off and fucking hurts. I dont need an explanation, I dont want to know why or care that matter cause its just the way it is. try to  be a "normal guy" for once

exactly...he's trying to paint me as some weak insecure guy, because i don't want other men fucking my woman....just stop already  ::)

The people who are into that stuff, and i know quite a few...are all fucked up people in fucked up relationships.  it's really that simple.

and i think the general consensus here on GB is Taylor is a pretty fucked up guy as well

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #299 on: October 04, 2011, 11:29:04 AM »
when i have read the bible i did so looking for wisdom and i found much of it in its pages. but i also found misguided ideologies and stories that go against my intuition. i found logical inconsistancies and historical inaccuracies. i think the men who wrote the bible were very wise for the most part and most of what they wrote is very valuable. but passing it off as the word of god was wrong, because it isnt. its my belief god gives every man equal access to his being.. those ancient men were no more certain of his existence and true nature than any of us are today. and that refutes the idea of the bible as the word of god.

morality is defined by how your behavior affects others. if you intentionally do something knowing that it might hurt another being then you have committed a sin.  if you intentionally do something knowing it will benefit another, then you have done a good deed.  any actions that fall outside of those two paramters are not immoral, not worthy of praise, but just ARE.

^^^   this, i think, is indisputable. i was wondering about your opinion on why you think drugs, sex, and other bheaviors which do not fall under 'immoral' in the above description of the term are indeed immoral... save referance to the bible.