Author Topic: The Afterlife  (Read 27771 times)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Re: The Afterlife
« Reply #300 on: October 04, 2011, 11:34:11 AM »
when i have read the bible i did so looking for wisdom and i found much of it in its pages. but i also found misguided ideologies and stories that go against my intuition. i found logical inconsistancies and historical inaccuracies. i think the men who wrote the bible were very wise for the most part and most of what they wrote is very valuable. but passing it off as the word of god was wrong, because it isnt. its my belief god gives every man equal access to his being.. those ancient men were no more certain of his existence and true nature than any of us are today. and that refutes the idea of the bible as the word of god.

morality is defined by how your behavior affects others. if you intentionally do something knowing that it might hurt another being then you have committed a sin.  if you intentionally do something knowing it will benefit another, then you have done a good deed.  any actions that fall outside of those two paramters are not immoral, not worthy of praise, but just ARE.

^^^   this, i think, is indisputable. i was wondering about your opinion on why you think drugs, sex, and other bheaviors which do not fall under 'immoral' in the above description of the term are indeed immoral... save referance to the bible.

My beliefs aren't rooted in the world, they're rooted in God and his divine word.  Me, I'd rather see the world saved and refer to the bible. 

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #301 on: October 04, 2011, 11:41:29 AM »
My beliefs aren't rooted in the world, they're rooted in God and his divine word.  Me, I'd rather see the world saved and refer to the bible. 

That's one of the main problems I have with religious people , they are like vegetarians they just can't be happy with their choice they now have to push it onto everyone else.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #302 on: October 04, 2011, 11:41:46 AM »
so you dont have any reason to believe except that you read it in a book. you dont have any logical basis for your beliefs except "somebody told me so".  :-\  see, i think god exists, i think every human has immortal life. but i think these things because i have thought about the subject with an analytical, critical mind and came to conclusions after long contemplation.  not because some story book says so. i know right and wrong to be based on how behavior affects other people, not based on arbitrary guidelines that prohibit pleasure.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #303 on: October 04, 2011, 11:56:06 AM »
That's one of the main problems I have with religious people , they are like vegetarians they just can't be happy with their choice they now have to push it onto everyone else.

How have I pushed you ND?  I express what I belief, do my best to defend what I belief, I encourage others, I pray for others and I'm willing to share with others that have interest.  I do that while being insulted and ridiculed routinely.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #304 on: October 04, 2011, 12:03:02 PM »
How have I pushed you ND?  I express what I belief, do my best to defend what I belief, I encourage others, I pray for others and I'm willing to share with others that have interest.  I do that while being insulted and ridiculed routinely.

Not you personally but your religion it's self , they want to dictate and controls others lives

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #305 on: October 04, 2011, 12:03:42 PM »
so you dont have any reason to believe except that you read it in a book. you dont have any logical basis for your beliefs except "somebody told me so".  :-\  see, i think god exists, i think every human has immortal life. but i think these things because i have thought about the subject with an analytical, critical mind and came to conclusions after long contemplation.  not because some story book says so. i know right and wrong to be based on how behavior affects other people, not based on arbitrary guidelines that prohibit pleasure.

Let's be real clear tbombz, those are your words not mine....the first two sentences in particular.  My beliefs and experiences go far deeper than anything suggested here.  I've experienced God in my life before I ever cracked open the good book.....he rescued me in a time of deepest despair and changed me completely.  I'm just now in my life gaining the biblical knowledge I never had previously, but my faith was solidified in a moment of humility and open-hearted surrender to my Lord and Savior.  The Holy Spirit washed over me like a flood and my heart was changed forever and I hadn't read a word of the NT on my own.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #306 on: October 04, 2011, 12:06:32 PM »
Not you personally but your religion it's self , they want to dictate and controls others lives

Granted, there are many nominal believers in the church and other genuine believers that act inappropriately, but they also make up a small percent of population of believers.  Unfortunately, others gravitate to that small population and judge the whole according to that standard. 

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #307 on: October 04, 2011, 12:06:44 PM »
Let's be real clear tbombz, those are your words not mine....the first two sentences in particular.  My beliefs and experiences go far deeper than anything suggested here.  I've experienced God in my life before I ever cracked open the good book.....he rescued me in a time of deepest despair and changed me completely.  I'm just now in my life gaining the biblical knowledge I never had previously, but my faith was solidified in a moment of humility and open-hearted surrender to my Lord and Savior.  The Holy Spirit washed over me like a flood and my heart was changed forever and I hadn't read a word of the NT on my own.
but you dont think about whats right and wrong, you just go by what the bible says without question

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #308 on: October 04, 2011, 12:10:44 PM »
so you dont have any reason to believe except that you read it in a book. you dont have any logical basis for your beliefs except "somebody told me so".  :-\  see, i think god exists, i think every human has immortal life. but i think these things because i have thought about the subject with an analytical, critical mind and came to conclusions after long contemplation.  not because some story book says so. i know right and wrong to be based on how behavior affects other people, not based on arbitrary guidelines that prohibit pleasure.

You are a heathen, and will burn in hell  ;D

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #309 on: October 04, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
but you dont think about whats right and wrong, you just go by what the bible says without question

Again, being real clear here, those are your words not mine.  I also belief you're smarter than that.  When confronted or confused by issues I study the bible, I read others believeres perspectives, but the most important thing I do is take the matter to the source in prayer.  Do I belief in the word of God because of my relationship with God and my salvation in Christ?  You bet.  That last aspect is so crucial and lost on so many.

French

• Getbig IV
  • Solana @ 2000$
« Reply #310 on: October 04, 2011, 12:16:16 PM »
 8)
$

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #311 on: October 04, 2011, 12:23:20 PM »
 :)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #312 on: October 04, 2011, 12:42:40 PM »
12 pages and no empirical proof of an afterlife. What a surprise.

What did you expect my good Dr? I always try to make it crystal clear that we are talking matters of faith. Neither the existence or nonexistence of a God can be proved.

SBG

• Getbig II
« Reply #313 on: October 04, 2011, 12:45:05 PM »
Dying is shitty, but I think it is was it is. Nothingness.
Afterlife crap is for people who have massive ego's who think they deserve more than other people, like the crazy notion of living in heaven for eternity with god like a god.
Pathetic crap. Just as some mention, it's just as it was before you were born. NOTHING!

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #314 on: October 04, 2011, 12:48:47 PM »
All gods are man made.

Perhaps, but there is a big difference if that God is yourself.

SBG

• Getbig II
« Reply #315 on: October 04, 2011, 12:56:03 PM »
  Do I belief in the word of God because of my relationship with God and my salvation in Christ?  You bet.  That last aspect is so crucial and lost on so many.
You believe in the word of god, but have you actually ever cared to digest what you are reading? The christian god is a genocidal murderer who is actually jealous and has a temper if humans don't worship him. Now, does that behavior sound like a god, or a demented mad man like Hitler or Saddam?

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #316 on: October 04, 2011, 01:00:14 PM »
You believe in the word of god, but have you actually ever cared to digest what you are reading? The christian god is a genocidal murderer who is actually jealous and has a temper if humans don't worship him. Now, does that behavior sound like a god, or a demented mad man like Hitler or Saddam?

Agreed. The christian god is a fucking psychopath.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #317 on: October 04, 2011, 01:00:59 PM »
That behavior sounds like a mad man like Hitler or Saddam. 

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #318 on: October 04, 2011, 01:04:35 PM »
That behavior sounds like a mad man like Hitler or Saddam. 

I'm sure you know it's all in the Old Testament  :-\

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #319 on: October 04, 2011, 01:06:32 PM »

Yes, read every word of it.  Read other resources on it.  Read apologetic viewpoints on it.  Asked questions about it.  Studied it online.  Asked other believers about it.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #320 on: October 04, 2011, 01:06:46 PM »

SBG

• Getbig II
« Reply #321 on: October 04, 2011, 01:12:06 PM »
Agreed. The christian god is a fucking psychopath.
Yet people follow it, based on a lack of reading, or a natural ability to turn the evil behind their god into some wonderful thing. He supposedly drowned an entire planet, and THAT is a good thing? Like they can't even fathom that a god who could do anything, wouldn't need to drown every living thing, when he could just alter the path slightly to correct HIS mistakes?  ::)

SBG

• Getbig II
« Reply #322 on: October 04, 2011, 01:13:50 PM »
Same god isn't it? ;)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #323 on: October 04, 2011, 01:15:48 PM »
Same god isn't it? ;)
Yeah and the problem is most believers are okay with that  :-\

SBG

• Getbig II
« Reply #324 on: October 04, 2011, 01:18:57 PM »
Yeah and the problem is most believers are okay with that  :-\
That's what I don't understand. If a pedophile with 10 previous convictions moved next door to a christian, would they be so into faith that this person was rehabilitated that they would let him babysit their kids nightly? Yet some being that creates evil, acts evil, and causes people to be evil towards each other is just fine with them. You know, because he was only evil in a past chapter, or book.  :P