Author Topic: Jose Aldo: Weight Cut Battle, Part 1  (Read 9959 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Jose Aldo: Weight Cut Battle, Part 1
« on: September 29, 2011, 06:21:05 PM »
UFC® Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo (19-1-0) says there are two battles: one inside the Octagon, and the other making weight for the official weigh-in. In an exclusive behind the scenes video, we look at how one UFC® fighter goes through the weight-cutting process. In the first of two parts, Paula Sack is given inside access as Aldo struggles to cut six pounds in just five hours for his title defense against Mark Hominick at UFC 129 in Toronto. Catch Jose Aldo as he defends his featherweight belt in a title fight against Kenny Florian (16-5-0) live at UFC 136: Maynard vs. Edgar III, Saturday October 8, live on Pay-Per-View.
!

suckmymuscle

Re: Jose Aldo: Weight Cut Battle, Part 1
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 08:10:55 PM »
UFC® Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo (19-1-0) says there are two battles: one inside the Octagon, and the other making weight for the official weigh-in. In an exclusive behind the scenes video, we look at how one UFC® fighter goes through the weight-cutting process. In the first of two parts, Paula Sack is given inside access as Aldo struggles to cut six pounds in just five hours for his title defense against Mark Hominick at UFC 129 in Toronto. Catch Jose Aldo as he defends his featherweight belt in a title fight against Kenny Florian (16-5-0) live at UFC 136: Maynard vs. Edgar III, Saturday October 8, live on Pay-Per-View.

I have a better idea. Why not just fight at the weight you feel the best in instead of cutting down to an abnormal weight and fight at less than 100%? I can understand cutting weight in the case of someone like Anderson Silva who makes his money by being #1 and would have to face much more severe competition if he fought at 205 lbs - and would risk not being #1 -, but in the case of most fighters it makes no difference except making you be less than what you could be.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

asbrus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 11:04:16 PM »
  I have a better idea. Why not just fight at the weight you feel the best in instead of cutting down to an abnormal weight and fight at less than 100%? I can understand cutting weight in the case of someone like Anderson Silva who makes his money by being #1 and would have to face much more severe competition if he fought at 205 lbs - and would risk not being #1 -, but in the case of most fighters it makes no difference except making you be less than what you could be.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

WHAT A C0WARD.

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:15:57 PM »
  I have a better idea. Why not just fight at the weight you feel the best in instead of cutting down to an abnormal weight and fight at less than 100%?

the MMA guru has spoken ::)

suckmymuscle

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 11:47:09 PM »
the MMA guru has spoken

I am not an MMA expert. Quite the opposite. I have been watching MMA on and off since the first UFC back in 1993, but most people in this board know more than me. But MMA is mostly about opinions and not facts. Like Bas Rutten likes to say, only a fool thinks he knows how a fight will end.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 04:28:40 AM »
Well, let me break it down for you. If he fought in heavier weight class, he'd get his ass beat and he'd be lucky to be in top 20. So, do no weight cut and be irrelevant vs. do weight cut and be a champ. Which one sounds better..?

asbrus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 05:20:19 AM »
Well, let me break it down for you. If he fought in heavier weight class, he'd get his ass beat and he'd be lucky to be in top 20. So, do no weight cut and be irrelevant vs. do weight cut and be a champ. Which one sounds better..?

L0L HIGHLY D0UBT HE'D BE LUCKY T0 BE IN THE T0P 20. HE W0ULD D0 JUST AS WELL .SKILLED FIGHTERS W0ULD D0 JUST AS WELL FIGHTING AT THEIR NATURAL WEIGHT. IT'S A MENTAL BL0CK THAT THEY HAVE AND BELIEVE THEY NEED T0 CUT WEIGHT.

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 10:07:32 AM »
L0L HIGHLY D0UBT HE'D BE LUCKY T0 BE IN THE T0P 20. HE W0ULD D0 JUST AS WELL .SKILLED FIGHTERS W0ULD D0 JUST AS WELL FIGHTING AT THEIR NATURAL WEIGHT. IT'S A MENTAL BL0CK THAT THEY HAVE AND BELIEVE THEY NEED T0 CUT WEIGHT.

::)

I'm sure Forrest Griffin would be just as good at 240 lbs against heavyweights  ::)

asbrus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 10:49:06 AM »
::)

I'm sure Forrest Griffin would be just as good at 240 lbs against heavyweights  ::)

Y0U'RE EITHER TR0LLING ME 0R A PLAIN M0R0N. N0TICE WHERE I SAID AT THEIR NATURAL WEIGHT. F0REST GRIFFIN D0ES N0T WEIGH 240 LBS AND FITS VERY WELL IN LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT. HE D0SEN'T CARRY THE LEAN MUSCLE MASS 0F A HEAVYWEIGHT. ALD0 0N THE 0THER HAND IS AB0UT 165 LBS SINGLE DIGIT B0DY FAT. C0NTRARY T0 THE BELIEF CUTTING 20LBS 0F WATER WEIGHT DECREASES Y0UR PERF0RMANCE BY A L0T. 24 H0URS IS N0T EN0UGH TIME T0 REC0VER FULLY. IS HE D0MINANT? SURE, BUT HE'D BE JUST AS G00D IN THE WELTERWEIGHT DIVISI0N PERF0RMANCE WISE. 0F C0URSE IF HE FACES PIERRE WH0 IS A BETTER SKILLED FIGHTER HE'D L0SE.  THE 0NLY THING ALD0 IS L0SING IS WATER WEIGHT. HE HAS THE LEAN MUSCLE MASS 0F A WELTER WEIGHT THEREF0RE W0ULD BE JUST AS G00D IN THE WELTER WEIGHT DIVISI0N. IT'S N0T THAT HARD T0 GET REALLY.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 11:00:56 AM »

I'm sure Forrest Griffin would be just as good at 240 lbs against heavyweights 

Griffin is not at his best at 240 lbs. He is fat at 240 lbs. And yes, he would probably do better at the heavyweight division if he packed on 20 lbs of muscle. The heavyweight division is much easier. The only two talented fighters are Cain and JDS and now Overeem. In the light-heavyweight division you have Jones, Shogun, Machida, Rashad and many other great fighters.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 03:37:13 PM »

SUCKMYMUSCLE

I agree, these fighters are pathetic.Half killing themselves with dehydration and 'dieting' to make a weight.Wota bunch of pansies.A guy i train with is going through the same atm and it makes me laugh.The guy was lean to start with and muscular, yet hes shrank like crazy in terms of muscle mass to make a silly lower weight.Makes no sense to me....and yes ive fought before and just weighed in at what i weighed and that was it ( albeit i never had a set weight before it, but still id rather fight at my normal weight as long as its lean, where i felt my fittest and strongest, rather than go in there and put on a shit performance then blame a 'tough weight cut'' ::)

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 03:42:14 PM »
It's a pro sport what do you guys expect! 90% of people in combat sports cut weight. Aldo is the best at that weight class why wouldn't he continue to fight there. I remember buddies of mine who wrestled in highschool would suffer cutting a bunch of weight. If you guys know anything at all about combat sports it's a pretty normal thing!

asbrus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 04:40:58 PM »
It's a pro sport what do you guys expect! 90% of people in combat sports cut weight. Aldo is the best at that weight class why wouldn't he continue to fight there. I remember buddies of mine who wrestled in highschool would suffer cutting a bunch of weight. If you guys no anything at all about combat sports it's a pretty normal thing!

THERE ARE L0TS 0F GUYS THAT ARE VERY SUCCESSFULL THAT D0N'T CUT WEIGHT IN WRESTLING.

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 05:18:03 PM »
THERE ARE L0TS 0F GUYS THAT ARE VERY SUCCESSFULL THAT D0N'T CUT WEIGHT IN WRESTLING.

I just don't see what the problems is. These guys always look to be in awesome shape. They're packed with muscles. The worst I've ever seen was James Irvin. Dude looked totally sucked out.

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 06:43:02 PM »
Y0U'RE EITHER TR0LLING ME 0R A PLAIN M0R0N. N0TICE WHERE I SAID AT THEIR NATURAL WEIGHT. F0REST GRIFFIN D0ES N0T WEIGH 240 LBS AND FITS VERY WELL IN LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT.

Sorry, but the moron is you

Forrest Griffin is already one of the biggest fighters, if not the biggest, in the UFC’s light heavyweight division. He doesn’t give an actual number, but it’s been said that Griffin typically walks around at 240 lbs.
http://www.mmaconvert.com/2011/07/06/forrest-griffin-pulls-a-rampage-has-extra-weight-to-cut-for-ufc-134/

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 06:44:50 PM »
Griffin is not at his best at 240 lbs. He is fat at 240 lbs. And yes, he would probably do better at the heavyweight division if he packed on 20 lbs of muscle.

I thought they were supposed to fight at their "natural weight", not pack more muscle  ::)

asbrus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 12:09:44 AM »
Sorry, but the moron is you

Forrest Griffin is already one of the biggest fighters, if not the biggest, in the UFC’s light heavyweight division. He doesn’t give an actual number, but it’s been said that Griffin typically walks around at 240 lbs.
http://www.mmaconvert.com/2011/07/06/forrest-griffin-pulls-a-rampage-has-extra-weight-to-cut-for-ufc-134/

FACEPALM. HE D0SEN'T CARRY THAT MUCH LEAN MUSCLE. HE'S N0T 240 LBS SINGLE DIGIT B0DY FAT. ALD0 IS 165 SINGLE DIGIT. IT W0ULD MAKE N0 SENSE F0R F0RREST T0 FIGHT IN HEAVYWEIGHT WHEN HE'S CLEARLY CARRYING HIGH B0DY FAT AND 0VERWEIGHT. HENCE WHY IT W0ULD MAKE SENSE F0R ALD0 T0 N0T CUT WEIGHT AND F0R F0RREST T0 DIET D0WN T0 LIGHT HEAVY AND L0SE THE FAT.

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 03:53:28 AM »
It's a pro sport what do you guys expect! 90% of people in combat sports cut weight. Aldo is the best at that weight class why wouldn't he continue to fight there. I remember buddies of mine who wrestled in highschool would suffer cutting a bunch of weight. If you guys know anything at all about combat sports it's a pretty normal thing!

Nobody said it isnt normal dumbass, the point we were all making is that why doesnt he fight at a weight where hes not dieting and dehydrating like crazy for weeks,Its pathetic ;)

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 07:20:02 AM »
FACEPALM. HE D0SEN'T CARRY THAT MUCH LEAN MUSCLE. HE'S N0T 240 LBS SINGLE DIGIT B0DY FAT. ALD0 IS 165 SINGLE DIGIT. IT W0ULD MAKE N0 SENSE F0R F0RREST T0 FIGHT IN HEAVYWEIGHT WHEN HE'S CLEARLY CARRYING HIGH B0DY FAT AND 0VERWEIGHT. HENCE WHY IT W0ULD MAKE SENSE F0R ALD0 T0 N0T CUT WEIGHT AND F0R F0RREST T0 DIET D0WN T0 LIGHT HEAVY AND L0SE THE FAT.

Nice excuses  ::)

FAIL

asbrus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 07:43:58 AM »

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 07:32:58 PM »
???

So suddenly "natural weight" is being super lean and fat weight doesn't count? Oh lord...

asbrus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 07:38:07 PM »
So suddenly "natural weight" is being super lean and fat weight doesn't count? Oh lord...

THIS IS WHAT MY WH0LE ARGUMENT HAS BEEN. WHY CUT WEIGHT WHEN Y0U'RE 5 PERCENT SINGLE DIGIT B0DY FAT WHICH F0REST ISN'T BUT ALD0 IS. IF Y0U ACTUALLY READ MY FIRST P0ST, Y0U'D SEE I DID SAY THAT BUT SINCE Y0U HAVE THE ATTENTI0N 0F A 3 YEAR 0LD Y0U DIDN'T.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 10:24:23 PM »
  "Asbrus" is completely dominating the discussion. He is destroying the idiots debating him.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 10:38:30 PM »
The whole debate is about "...why not just fight at the weight you feel the best in instead of cutting down to an abnormal weight and fight at less than 100%"

Forrest is around 240lbs when he doesn't have a fight coming up. He's have to fight Velasquez, Dos Santos, Lesnar, Overeem, Carwin etc. etc.

What I'm trying to explain the idiots here is that cutting weight has GREAT benefits. Cutting weight made it possible to Griffin to actually hold a UFC belt for a while. Had he fought as a heavyweight, he would be no where near a title shot, perhaps not even in UFC.

Does this simplify the matter enough or do I need to have an illustrator create a childrens book to make you get it? If you still tell me "oh, he should just fight at his natural weight" I'm going to give up because I have only so much patience with morons.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2011, 11:17:45 PM »
The whole debate is about "...why not just fight at the weight you feel the best in instead of cutting down to an abnormal weight and fight at less than 100%"

Forrest is around 240lbs when he doesn't have a fight coming up. He's have to fight Velasquez, Dos Santos, Lesnar, Overeem, Carwin etc. etc.

What I'm trying to explain the idiots here is that cutting weight has GREAT benefits. Cutting weight made it possible to Griffin to actually hold a UFC belt for a while. Had he fought as a heavyweight, he would be no where near a title shot, perhaps not even in UFC.

Does this simplify the matter enough or do I need to have an illustrator create a childrens book to make you get it? If you still tell me "oh, he should just fight at his natural weight" I'm going to give up because I have only so much patience with morons.

Your reading comprehension is terrible. I said that cutting weight makes sense when you can fight in a lighter division that is easier than the one that fits your normal weight. Case in point: Anderson Silva cutting weight to fight in the middleweight division that is easier than the light-heavyweight division that fits his normal weight. Fighting as a light-heavyweight means having to fight Jon Jones, and Silva has only a slim chance of beating him.

The problem is that in many cases the fighter cut weights and becomes weaker and sick to fight in a division that is not necessarily easier than the one that fits his natural weight. Case in point: Jon Jones who normally weights around 250 lbs with low bodyfat and cuts weight becoming depleted to fight at 205 lbs which has more talent than the heavyweight division. If Jones fought at his normal weight of 250 lbs, he would be a lot stronger and would fight less skilled fighters. Except for Cain and JDS, the heavyweight division sucks.

As for Forrest Griffin, he won the light-heavyweight belt back in 2007 when it was weak and Shogun was rusty and injured from the PRIDE Grand Prix of 2006. He would actually have had an easier time winning the UFC heavyweight belt back then when Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski were the two best fighters in that division.

SUCKMYMUSCLE