Author Topic: So, let's say peak oil is real and Saudi runs out in the next 30 years, what  (Read 7547 times)

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
Pretty sure the Delorium ran on just garbage

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace

Laugh if you wish but let me tell you something.  Why go and be latched on to the power companies when the technology is there right in front of you to do it yourself.  

You can get a brand new biodiesel generator for under 800 dollars that can produce 40 gallons of fuel at a time and all you would have to do is drive around to any fast food restaurant and offer to collect their waste product which they will be more than happy to do rather than pay a disposal fee.  That's free fucking gas for your car and truck and other shit you run.  Solar Panels from China have flooded the market and you can get those for cheap along with wind turbines generators.  All of this is pennies on the dollar and easy as fuck to hook up.  

Now I'm saying that everything can be replaced entirely but if you're doing this, then you're putting a lot more fucking beer money back into your pocket.  There are lots of people out there doing this and they are set for life without having to hit the jackpot or the lottery.  I realized a long time ago when I was laid off from Alltel that your life isn't worth shit to these corporation and you're nothing but disposable trash to them.  That's why I've been working hard to do the same thing and take myself out of the equation of being another corporate bitch.  

I'm doing what I have to do and if I were you, I'd follow suit before the world really goes to shit

Wow, I'm agreeing with you.

The thing I've done was to buy a house (and pay it off) a few miles outside a big city. The grounds that came with it is big enough to keep livestock should I need it. I certainly plant vegetables and considering have a well dug for just in case. I've been looking into solar panels but it's very expensive here in Europe. I'm not off the grid yet and won't be for another few years, but if the worst happen, I'm certainly better prepared than most.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
We've always managed (in the first world) to use technology to outpace Malthusian crunches but I don't think we'll get away with it forever.  For oil specifically, I don't know if they can mimic it in all its applications.  Given the money involved, there's going to be plenty of motivation.  Hopefully that's the direction things will go.  I doubt the world would put up with anyone, you know, starting a war for it or anything.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V

Laugh if you wish but let me tell you something.  Why go and be latched on to the power companies when the technology is there right in front of you to do it yourself.  

You can get a brand new biodiesel generator for under 800 dollars that can produce 40 gallons of fuel at a time and all you would have to do is drive around to any fast food restaurant and offer to collect their waste product which they will be more than happy to do rather than pay a disposal fee.  That's free fucking gas for your car and truck and other shit you run.  Solar Panels from China have flooded the market and you can get those for cheap along with wind turbines generators.  All of this is pennies on the dollar and easy as fuck to hook up.  

Now I'm saying that everything can be replaced entirely but if you're doing this, then you're putting a lot more fucking beer money back into your pocket.  There are lots of people out there doing this and they are set for life without having to hit the jackpot or the lottery.  I realized a long time ago when I was laid off from Alltel that your life isn't worth shit to these corporation and you're nothing but disposable trash to them.  That's why I've been working hard to do the same thing and take myself out of the equation of being another corporate bitch.  

I'm doing what I have to do and if I were you, I'd follow suit before the world really goes to shit

This might possibly work for some eager folks that are willing to take some time out to generate their own power via unorthodox means (Heck, the Amish do a lot of things we never consider).  Seems a bit extreme in a very "end-of-the-world" kind of way, but hey if you find that you can generate an inexpensive energy source, why not try?

That being said, some of us don't own a house with substantial acreage Vince.  For instance, my husband and I own a condo in the heart of New York City.  That idea would not work for us, since we can't possibly rewire the way we retrieve energy through our building.

"1"

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
This might possibly work for some eager folks that are willing to take some time out to generate their own power via unorthodox means (Heck, the Amish do a lot of things we never consider).  Seems a bit extreme in a very "end-of-the-world" kind of way, but hey if you find that you can generate an inexpensive energy source, why not try?

That being said, some of us don't own a house with substantial acreage Vince.  For instance, my husband and I own a condo in the heart of New York City.  That idea would not work for us, since we can't possibly rewire the way we retrieve energy through our building.

"1"

:o :o :o

You=loaded!
I hate the State.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
:o :o :o

You=loaded!

Just a pair of hardworking, homosexual men (free of kids) who are both well situated in the Law and Financial industries.

Also, it doesn't hurt that we don't spend lavishly.  We purchase foods via wholesale distributors.  We have cell phones provided by our respective companies.  Our internet service is provided by my husband's firm (free of charge).  Our electricity bill is pretty low since we are not fond of using an air conditioner or leaving appliances plugged in.  We also only have basic channels through our cable provider with the exception of HBO.  I can't miss an episode of Real Time with Bill Maher.

"1"

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
This might possibly work for some eager folks that are willing to take some time out to generate their own power via unorthodox means (Heck, the Amish do a lot of things we never consider).  Seems a bit extreme in a very "end-of-the-world" kind of way, but hey if you find that you can generate an inexpensive energy source, why not try?

That being said, some of us don't own a house with substantial acreage Vince.  For instance, my husband and I own a condo in the heart of New York City.  That idea would not work for us, since we can't possibly rewire the way we retrieve energy through our building.

"1"

Well, you can't go 100% in your area but there are things you can do .  You have a window somewhere so you can place a high watt solar panel outside your home with tracker to move with the sun to draw in more power.  You can install high efficiency lights, you can get an LCD TV.

But yeah, you're pretty much stuck for the most part as long as you're in that area.  But for the millions of others who have a backyard and a patio or roof, they can easily do it.  But don't think what I'm proposing is extreme because technology allows anyone to do what I'm saying for practically nothing.  You can get someone to set everything up if need be and you don't have to give up the luxuries of modern day living.  A garden is not that hard to set up.  You plant the seeds, and water it with a garden hose and spray for bugs and that's it.  Fresh veggies from the garden have a taste that you simply can't get in any store.  Over the summer, whenever I was working outside and hungry I would go to the garden, pluck off a cucumber, sprinkle it with sea salt and have a nice little snack.  You can grow veggies with minimal space without even having a garden   
A

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Lol@ thinking we actually could run out. We have an endless supply my friend.

RustyTrenbolona

• Getbig IV
  • ...but it's just an empty sandwich bag...
Then finally the usa can detach its mouth from around the penis of saudi king. What a sad day it will be. ::)

All we gotta do then, is shit out israels fist from our asshole and we ll be all set.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor

That's not actually true, and besides, even if it were, local codes probably mandate the installation must be done by a licensed electrician. Even when you do live in a trailer...

That's why I've been working hard to do the same thing and take myself out of the equation of being another corporate bitch.

Yeah, I'm sure the fees for the shopping cart software must place a big financial burden, month in, month out.

You really, honestly believe that? I'll be happy to sell you disaster insurance. You can come up with the scenarios that you're worried about and I can come up with a price. We'll sign a contract and everything. Unless you're worried about being a corporate bitch...

RustyTrenbolona

• Getbig IV
Quote from: OneMoreRep link=topic=397245.msg5621993#msg5621993 date=
Just a pair of hardworking, homosexual men (free of kids) who are both well situated in the Law and Financial industries.

Also, it doesn't hurt that we don't spend lavishly.  We purchase foods via wholesale distributors.  We have cell phones provided by our respective companies.  Our internet service is provided by my husband's firm (free of charge).  Our electricity bill is pretty low since we are not fond of using an air conditioner or leaving appliances plugged in.  We also only have basic channels through our cable provider with the exception of HBO.  I can't miss an episode of Real Time with Bill Maher.

"1"

Congrats on being amazingly frugal and  cheap

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
Congrats on being amazingly frugal and  cheap

It's part of our genetic coding as Jews. 

Also, remember.... It's not how much you make, but how much you save.

"1"

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
That's not actually true, and besides, even if it were, local codes probably mandate the installation must be done by a licensed electrician. Even when you do live in a trailer...

Licensing isn't hard for solar and wind panel setups.  Even then, its no big deal in the grand scheme of things

Yeah, I'm sure the fees for the shopping cart software must place a big financial burden, month in, month out.

A bill is still a bill.  

You really, honestly believe that? I'll be happy to sell you disaster insurance. You can come up with the scenarios that you're worried about and I can come up with a price. We'll sign a contract and everything. Unless you're worried about being a corporate bitch...

You don't have to wait for a disaster because its already there.  Look how many people right now are losing their homes because they lost their jobs.  Look how high the price of food, gas, electric, etc has gone up from inflation.  Look at the foreclosures.  Look at how many people are sitting in at Wall Street.  Even if nothing happens, do you want to be unprepared???

The fact is that I've seen what's around me and I don't like the way things are.  All of our appliances, equipment, computers, etc only work as long as the power company is operational.  Once the power gets knocked out, we literally are reduced to nothing but glorified straw huts and everyone's plan of action is to call and complain to the power company and beg for them to fix things up as soon as possible.  

People no longer have any real survival skills.  They don't know how to gather food, get clean water, stay warm, or do shit.  People don't know how to preserve and refrigerate food without electricity or anything.  Not even a 100 years ago, people had the ability to live and survive without electricity and now they don't.  They don't know shit.  Maybe the world won't go to crap....but what if it does...even for a couple months...are you going to be ready or are you going to piss your pants and hope Obama or some other president or politican is going to take care of you???
A

avxo

• Getbig V
Well, you can't go 100% in your area but there are things you can do .  You have a window somewhere so you can place a high watt solar panel outside your home with tracker to move with the sun to draw in more power.  You can install high efficiency lights, you can get an LCD TV.

But yeah, you're pretty much stuck for the most part as long as you're in that area.  But for the millions of others who have a backyard and a patio or roof, they can easily do it.

I realize that science probably isn't your strongest suit, but here it goes.

Solar panels are about 20% efficient, and produce about 12 to 14 watts per hour per square foot. Let's assume a really fancy solar panel that can generate 20W/sqft on a window that is 3 feet by 3 feet. The panel would still only generate (20 W/hr/sqft) * (9 sqft) = 180 W/hr. That's not enough to run a microwave even if the sun is shining really really brightly.

But let's not worry about details. Maybe you want to run a small radio. And let's be generous, and say that this window faces the sun 8 hours a day -- every day, regardless of season -- and that the panel can pump out a constant 180 W/hr for those 8 hours. This magical system will still only produce less that 530 kWh per year.

Remember, that the average American home uses ~11000 kWh per year, at an average cost of $0.12/kWh. With those prices, the generated electricity from our magical system is worth about $65 per year.

RustyTrenbolona

• Getbig IV
Quote from: OneMoreRep link=topic=397245.msg5622036#msg5622036 date=

"1"

Thanks for the wisdom, champ.

avxo

• Getbig V
People no longer have any real survival skills.  They don't know how to gather food, get clean water, stay warm, or do shit.  People don't know how to preserve and refrigerate food without electricity or anything.  Not even a 100 years ago, people had the ability to live and survive without electricity and now they don't.  They don't know shit.  Maybe the world won't go to crap....but what if it does...even for a couple months...are you going to be ready or are you going to piss your pants and hope Obama or some other president or politican is going to take care of you???

If the world goes to shit -- even for a couple of months -- I doubt being able to run a portable radio and a medium power light bulb when the sun is shining will be that big a deal.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...

"1"

::)

C'mon dude, you're smarter than that.
I hate the State.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
When they run out of oil they will be crushed with some kind of HAARP weapon that will knock them back to the 18th century. Then the American government will let whats left of the area become a cess pool of terrorists(Not really but that is what they will tell the rest of the world to keep it fearful)

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
::)

C'mon dude, you're smarter than that.

A little light humor Dei, don't take it to heart friend  ;)

"1"

RustyTrenbolona

• Getbig IV
Jews like you are really helping out the UsA.  I love jews and israel. Lets donate another 5 billion in tax payer money to an entire nation of frugal self centered "lets use the company cellphone to save money" types. ::)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
If the world goes to shit -- even for a couple of months -- I doubt being able to run a portable radio and a medium power light bulb when the sun is shining will be that big a deal.

That's where your thinking is wrong and my plans are more than just powering a few light bulbs and radios.  I'm basically going for luxury living without the high price and retiring with a constant and steady postive cash flow...being able to live large and save a ton of money.  

A

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
Maybe then we can finally bomb the whole region into thousands of square miles of glorious ruin.

avxo

• Getbig V

That's where your thinking is wrong and my plans are more than just powering a few light bulbs and radios.  I'm basically going for luxury living without the high price and retiring with a constant and steady postive cash flow...being able to live large and save a ton of money.  

As I said, I understand math isn't your strong suit, but seriously... the average cost of 1kWh is under $0.15. How exactly does that figure into your plans?

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
we all become like evan centopani and live in a glass house