Author Topic: Ron Paul Wins Straw Poll; Cain 2nd  (Read 1670 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Ron Paul Wins Straw Poll; Cain 2nd
« on: October 08, 2011, 05:28:01 PM »
Republican presidential candidate, Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, speaks at the Values Voter Summit in Washington, Saturday, Oct. 8, 2011.

The Texas congressman and presidential candidate who remains in the single digits in most national polls emerged as the choice of 37 percent of those who cast ballots at the annual Values Voter Summit in Washington, D.C.

Former Godfather’s Pizza CEO Herman Cain, who has been surging in national presidential primary polls, came in second with 23 percent of the vote, followed by Rick Santorum who garnered 16 percent. Rick Perry and Michele Bachmann tied for fourth — both with 8 percent.

Current GOP front-runner Mitt Romney, who addressed the conference on Saturday, wound up near the bottom of the pack with 4 percent.

Here are the results of the straw poll:

Ron Paul – 37 percent

Herman Cain – 23 percent

http://news.yahoo.com/ron-paul-wins-straw-poll-cain-2nd-193226764.html

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Ron Paul Wins Straw Poll; Cain 2nd
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 06:46:59 PM »
Paul and Cain are my top 2 right now.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 07:01:16 PM »
 :-\

Ron Paul wins Values Voter straw poll

Washington (CNN) - GOP presidential candidate Ron Paul secured yet another straw poll victory Saturday.

The Texas congressman won 37% of the poll at the Values Voter Summit in Washington, sponsored by the Family Research Council, a social conservative group.

However, not all of those who voted for Paul in the straw poll were necessarily participants in the summit. Family Research Council president Tony Perkins said 600 attendees registered just for Saturday. Paul ended up winning with 732 votes.

Paul has won a handful of straw polls this year, including contests held in California and South Carolina, in addition to a straw poll at the Conservative Political Action Conference in February.

Coming in second on Saturday, rising GOP candidate and Georgia businessman Herman Cain took 23% of the vote. Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum came in third with 16%.

Two front-runners, Texas Gov. Rick Perry and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, placed fourth and sixth, respectively. Perry garnered 8% of the vote, while Romney had 4%.

Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, who touts herself as a strong social conservative and won the much-watched Ames Straw Poll in Iowa, came in fifth, while former House Speaker Newt Gingrich took seventh place.

– CNN's Peter Hamby and Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/08/ron-paul-wins-values-voter-straw-poll/

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 07:24:40 PM »
Great :)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 08:08:51 PM »
:-\

Ron Paul wins Values Voter straw poll

Washington (CNN) - GOP presidential candidate Ron Paul secured yet another straw poll victory Saturday.

The Texas congressman won 37% of the poll at the Values Voter Summit in Washington, sponsored by the Family Research Council, a social conservative group.

However, not all of those who voted for Paul in the straw poll were necessarily participants in the summit. Family Research Council president Tony Perkins said 600 attendees registered just for Saturday. Paul ended up winning with 732 votes.

Paul has won a handful of straw polls this year, including contests held in California and South Carolina, in addition to a straw poll at the Conservative Political Action Conference in February.

Coming in second on Saturday, rising GOP candidate and Georgia businessman Herman Cain took 23% of the vote. Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum came in third with 16%.

Two front-runners, Texas Gov. Rick Perry and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, placed fourth and sixth, respectively. Perry garnered 8% of the vote, while Romney had 4%.

Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, who touts herself as a strong social conservative and won the much-watched Ames Straw Poll in Iowa, came in fifth, while former House Speaker Newt Gingrich took seventh place.

– CNN's Peter Hamby and Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/08/ron-paul-wins-values-voter-straw-poll/

Lol, it's a conspiracy. The poor guy will NEVER get a break no matter how legit the win is.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 08:16:29 PM »
Lol, it's a conspiracy. The poor guy will NEVER get a break no matter how legit the win is.

Not a conspiracy.  Just not reliable results.  Someone looking at this objectively would see a potential problem if he received 732 votes when only 600 people registered (particularly when you compare the outcome to current polling). 

But not a big deal.  It's good that he attended.   

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 11:44:06 PM »
Cain= Legit

It's fucked up, but I see the gripes that RP fans have. Without Cain getting a bump from the polling outlets and the MSM , he wouldnt be in the convo.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 02:14:17 AM »
Not a conspiracy.  Just not reliable results.  Someone looking at this objectively would see a potential problem if he received 732 votes when only 600 people registered (particularly when you compare the outcome to current polling). 

But not a big deal.  It's good that he attended.   

Lol, nothing you're implying happened, but I can see why you got that impression as the author wrote it to seem that way. He won in a legit fashion but now the media is spinning this as, straw polls mean nothing, RP just bussed in 600 supporters and that's why he won, etc... Straw Polls are never a big deal unless RP wins.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 02:34:07 AM »
fucking BB with his ron paul conspiracy ::)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 07:42:50 AM »
fucking BB with his ron paul conspiracy ::)

It's a fucking joke. Romneys allowed to bus in supporters and no one thinks anything of it. 600 RP supporters show up to hear Ron speak and then leave and all of a sudden the accusations of buying blocks of tickets for the voters comes up to down play the win. They just refuse to believe he has this kind of support and act like big babies when Pauls supporters come out to help him win. It's the first time I ever heard anyone accused of cheating because more people came out to support one candidate then the others. It's like saying Obama cheated during the election because too many people voted for him on election day.  ::)

Then you have things like this article that are written in a way to make it seem like he got more votes then registered people when that's not what happened.They actually said that his wins lower the value of these straw polls. It's only when other candidates win that these are legit? Fuck em. I don't understand how they could despise a person so much.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 07:58:11 AM »
Not a conspiracy.  Just not reliable results. 

LOLZERWHOOPTIE

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 08:01:25 AM »
no doubt.  These other candidates have done all sorts of stuff to effect both straw polls and online polls.  Bachmann using a concert of country artists, all you had to do to get in was vote for her.  Mitt did some shit a while back but I can't remember now.  Others offering things for votes.  There are a lot of stories like this.  Did BB get on here with any of that?  I doubt it. 

Also with the online polls after debates, the other candidates also try to get as many people to vote for them as they can.  they have all sorts of links from sites to those polls right after the debate is over.  No different than Ron Paul supporters do.  Yet I've heard people cry about links to the polls given out and resulting in Paul winning... LOL, that's horseshit.  The other candidates do it too.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 08:02:28 AM »
LOLZERWHOOPTIE
Of course BB got on here and said the same thing after Bachmann bought votes with a concert.  Maybe he can bump that thread for us lol...

"However, not all of those who voted for Paul in the straw poll were necessarily participants in the summit. Family Research Council president Tony Perkins said 600 attendees registered just for Saturday. Paul ended up winning with 732 votes."

I'd also like to know how this means the 600 voted for Paul?  Is that just a wild guess turned into an excuse?

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 08:08:34 AM »
Of course BB got on here and said the same thing after Bachmann bought votes with a concert.  Maybe he can bump that thread for us lol...

Exactly. Lol where was detective BB then?

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 08:14:35 AM »

"However, not all of those who voted for Paul in the straw poll were necessarily participants in the summit. Family Research Council president Tony Perkins said 600 attendees registered just for Saturday. Paul ended up winning with 732 votes."

I'd also like to know how this means the 600 voted for Paul?  Is that just a wild guess turned into an excuse?

What it means is, if 600 people showed up to hear and vote for Romeny in one day it would signal how well he can mobilize his supporters. If 600 people show up and vote for RP in one day that means the Straw Poll results were skewed.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 08:20:47 AM »
could it be that (most) repubs are finally waking up? 

They see thru the phony repub act of Perry.
They see Romney a a big fcking fraud who says anything to please anyone.
They see TPaw as a pussy.
They see bachmann as someone who just doesn't get along with facts.

HCain and Ron Paul have been right, all along, about the economy.  And maybe, just maybe, repubs are starting to wake up.  When I hear GOP cheerleaders like BeachBum saying "I like this cain guy" I realize that it's no longer just the repub thinkers that like cain.  It's the Repub sheep as well.  BB, I respect you as an accomplished man, I disagree with you often - but you are a 'stand steady & vote for the frontrunner repub' kinda guy.  The fact that you're digging Cain, to me, means that not only are the younger, wilder repub voters liking cain, but the established older fall-inl-ine repubs like yourself do too.

To me, that says a lot.  no flaming.  I'm saying this is a great day when the gop young and old can agree on a candidate that doesn't suck :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 11:55:09 AM »

Lol, nothing you're implying happened, but I can see why you got that impression as the author wrote it to seem that way. He won in a legit fashion but now the media is spinning this as, straw polls mean nothing, RP just bussed in 600 supporters and that's why he won, etc... Straw Polls are never a big deal unless RP wins.

I didn't imply anything.  Just stating the facts, as reported by the two stories in this thread.  For example, from loco's story:  "The Texas congressman and presidential candidate who remains in the single digits in most national polls . . . ."  Those are just the facts.  He'll likely never get out of single digits, or above 10 percent (which is his ceiling). 

So you acknowledge that he bussed in 600 supporters, but can't understand why the results are not reliable?  Really? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 12:02:07 PM »
It's a fucking joke. Romneys allowed to bus in supporters and no one thinks anything of it. 600 RP supporters show up to hear Ron speak and then leave and all of a sudden the accusations of buying blocks of tickets for the voters comes up to down play the win. They just refuse to believe he has this kind of support and act like big babies when Pauls supporters come out to help him win. It's the first time I ever heard anyone accused of cheating because more people came out to support one candidate then the others. It's like saying Obama cheated during the election because too many people voted for him on election day.  ::)

Then you have things like this article that are written in a way to make it seem like he got more votes then registered people when that's not what happened.They actually said that his wins lower the value of these straw polls. It's only when other candidates win that these are legit? Fuck em. I don't understand how they could despise a person so much.

When did Romney bus in more supporters than were actually registered for an event?  If he did, I'd have the same questions about the reliability of the results. 

And regarding this:  "It's like saying Obama cheated during the election because too many people voted for him on election day."  That's one of the points Ron Paul fanatics don't like to address (actual votes on election day).  If you were trying to take a reasonable look at the reliability of these results, you should look at how Ron Paul performed in DC and Maryland in 2008.  It wouldn't be conclusive, but it would give you an idea of how strong his support is in those areas.   

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 03:46:50 PM »
When did Romney bus in more supporters than were actually registered for an event?  If he did, I'd have the same questions about the reliability of the results. 

You are misunderstanding what is being said. What matters at the end of the day is that nothing strange happened with the voting, except the usual cry babies didn't like the result.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 04:04:27 PM »
In addition, this was not exactly a textbook case of American democracy in action. It cost $35 to cast a vote, and most of the campaigns picked up the cost of the voting tickets. Mr. Romney dispatched a fleet of buses to bring in his supporters.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/us/politics/12straw.html?n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/People/T/Thompson,%20Tommy%20G.?ref=tommygthompson

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 04:10:05 PM »
In addition, this was not exactly a textbook case of American democracy in action. It cost $35 to cast a vote, and most of the campaigns picked up the cost of the voting tickets. Mr. Romney dispatched a fleet of buses to bring in his supporters.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/us/politics/12straw.html?n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/People/T/Thompson,%20Tommy%20G.?ref=tommygthompson

Damn, so Ron Paul is like Romney the RINO? :-\

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 04:21:47 PM »
You are misunderstanding what is being said. What matters at the end of the day is that nothing strange happened with the voting, except the usual cry babies didn't like the result.

I understand exactly what is being said.  I disagree with it. 

In any event, I don't really care about the results.  Doesn't make a hill of beans difference for any candidate who participated.  The only thing that matters is votes on election day.

But I did really enjoy Cain's speech. 

Freeborn126

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 05:47:41 AM »
Why wasn't it a conspiracy when Cain won the Florida straw poll? 

Ron Paul wins 5 straw polls- MSM says he cheated, inflated results, bussed in supporters

Cain wins 1 straw poll- Surges in polls and MSM is all over his dick.
Live free or die

whork25

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 06:04:20 AM »
Why wasn't it a conspiracy when Cain won the Florida straw poll? 

Ron Paul wins 5 straw polls- MSM says he cheated, inflated results, bussed in supporters

Cain wins 1 straw poll- Surges in polls and MSM is all over his dick.

Because the media want Cain to beat RP

That in itself should make you/us not vote Cain but RP

Freeborn126

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 06:10:01 AM »
Rush Limbaugh used to say that we want to vote for the candidate that the establishment media is afraid of.  Where is he now with Ron Paul?
Live free or die