Author Topic: Ancestry - Have you ever looked into yours?  (Read 11201 times)

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
Ancestry - Have you ever looked into yours?
« on: October 09, 2011, 08:40:44 AM »
Has anyone ever done this?

We have a tv show here in Britain called "Who do you think you are?" and I imagine this has been sold across the world and everyone's doing it everywhere?

People went all weird and critical when Jeremy Paxman, our BBC's most-respected and straightforward stiff-upper-lip news correspondent started crying when he learned his great grandmother was a slave or a prostitute or something (I didn't see that episode)

But I now understand.  I've just been contacted by someone I didn't know existed, someone from my Dad's family.  She sounds like she's young enough to be my offspring and is recently into this, she says it's her hobby.  I have no idea how she found me.  I don't know what to say back.  I thought my Dad was spawned by someone off of a ship in Liverpool and that we had no way of finding out my paternal family, nor even what colour it is I'm supposed to be.  (I'm white, but golden.  My Dad looked like James Bond (the Connery one) and his mother had 3 boy children by 3 different men.  My last name is not (although I love it) mine, my father's mother had my dad by Mr Baker when she was married to someone else.  So both my father and I were named after someone else we're not even related to.  I am the only person in England with my surname, but my Dad told me there are two paragraphs of them listed in the Australian telephone book, he laughed embarrassed like and said they all got shipped there and bred.  I've always thought I'd never be able to find out anything further to this.  Now Sue Perry of the Selby's of Liverpool has gotten in touch with me.

I don't know what to say.  The good news is that if she's just drawing up charts, me brother died and I didn't have children, so she can just put a big black horizontal line underneath this side of the long-lost family.  

I don't know whether she'll be able to tell me about my Dad's mother.  Grandma Baker (as she was called after she divorced and re-married) was Sue Perry's great or great-great grandmother.  I'm curious.  It's a big deal for me.  I still haven't properly deciphered this letter, but she's definitely got me googled from the electoral lists & has my dear dead Dad ancestried.

Don't know how to respond, she might just be doing a school project and perhaps wouldn't cope if I got all emotional.

Have you ever looked up your ancestry?

Obviously on the TV show they've got researchers doing it for them...

madly
xL

on Mum's side, my Grandad played for Liverpool Football Club and me Great Grandad was in the trenches in WWII.  We know all about my mum's family.  

Now my father's family (which I thought didn't exist) has gotten in touch.  She tells me there are no men on that side of the family and she has no photos of any of them.  I have very few photos either, none of my Dad's half-brothers...  

All of this bastardry by the way, was hugely not talked about in those days.  My Mum's family were told very little if anything, about my Dad's.

But it's okay nowadays:  My father went on to a career on an aircraft carrier in the Navy, then travelled the world for 30 years as a scholarly Quartz Crystal Engineer, so it'd be lovely, I'd like it if he were to be put on the internet and remembered on a wwwancestry site.

yng466

• Getbig III
Re: Ancestry - Have you ever looked into yours?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 11:23:21 PM »
I was raised by Wolves...
PARTY LIKE A PIRATE!

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 09:29:26 AM »
Linda I sometimes watch that program

My dads side
Grand father from Riga Latvia
Grand mother from Sweden

My Mothers side
Grand Father German
Grand Mother Dutch

We also have Italian and American married in.

I am born and bred South African

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 05:02:23 PM »
my people came over conquered and did stuff

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 05:24:24 PM »
I am the keeper of the family tree. I have no idea how I inherited this responsibility except that I have the family name. My father, who had the same name was the only male child. I am an only child. My only son has the same name as I do, only he is a IV and I am the III. He and his wife decided to not name their son after his dad....so the full impact of our name ends with my son. I guess it would be weird to be a V.

For years, whenever anyone would find family records or photo etc, they'd ship them to me. I have letters my grandfather wrote to my grandmother when they were young and he had gone to school in Glasgow, Ireland to study to be a dental surgeon. After graduating he was offered a position in Cape Town, South Africa. He and my grandmother traveled all the way from Michigan to Cape Town where they lived and he worked for several years. My two aunts and my father were born in South Africa, although they were all American citizens.

It is really interesting to research one's family tree. I use the program Family Tree Maker to keep the database of information. It is a good program and really easy to navigate. I highly recommend it. Both my wife and I can trace our families back to the Revolutionary War and before. I guess we are lucky that our forefathers and mothers were so good about keeping family records.

Now that someone has brought topic this up. I realize I should be spending more time on the family tree and not so much fooling around on Getbig. LOL!

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 02:06:05 PM »
Turns out I have a cousin (and her family) I didn't know I had.  

She found me on the electoral list.  My Dad was her Dad's (half maybe) brother.  But she never knew her Dad and I had pix which I sent her of him standing behind the bridesmaids at my Mum and Dad's wedding in Liverpool, so I made her ancestry-searching more than worthwhile.  

Incredible really.  She's flipping out.  I had a pic of her Dad and she didn't.  Incredibly good-looking, my Dad looked like James Bond and her Dad looks like Clooney, only 10x better, with big lips.  Damn we're a rather DNA-enhanced family.  I had a long chat with Sue's daughter Liz.

They live in Herefordshire.  Yes, I'm invited to visit.  One more addition to my Christmas card list.  Sue and her daughter Liz seem lovely.

Sue's still trying to find out who my Dad's Dad was and who her Dad's Dad was: we share the same Grandmother.  I sent her pix of Grandma.  I had photos of Grandma and she didn't.

I was told that our Grandma had three sons by 3 different men.  I was told half of them were shipped off to Australia.  Sue is finding out.

xL

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 05:29:16 AM »
I have learned that my dad's family came mainly from Germany and Ireland (my Irish ancestors had actually only been in Ireland a couple generations after leaving England).  My mother's ancestors was mostly from France (in fact, Mom is a 10th generation decendant from one of the Hugenots).

But both Dad's and Mom's families had been in the USA for several generations. 

~

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 11:25:53 AM »
oh it gets even better, the world is so small.  It's a golf ball in a game the heavens are playing...

I've now found out and am emailing a relative in Comox Vancouver Island British Colombia Canada related to me Dad who my dad never knew about and he retired there from England...

Madness.  She's researching the entire gang.  Well him anyways...  She's going to take pix for me of the memorial granite bench on the Pacific Oooocean I'll never see.

Please don't buy me a bench or anything remotely resembling that when I die, please?
xL

I'm fairly certain that at Kew Gardens they have a massive shed into which they shelve all the benches in date order.  They just haul them out on any given day depending?

The step-bitch has moved to a new plush home and is still using my father's name, she's had 3 or 4 or 5 names and she's still using my Dad's.  Bitch cow with all the money.  

Stick that bench where the sun don't shine.  

Oh ouch it still hurts like hell and me Dad's been dead 7 years.  Their marriage lasted less long than that.  She didn't take him to the hospital, she let him die.  I was told in the April he was ill and he died in pain in early July of that year.  I wasn't there, I couldn't get there.

She even lied to me about his funeral.  I wasn't invited and by that time I'd found the dosh for the airfare and could've travelled to pay my respects, but she lied to me about the funeral.  She sent me a bad photocopy of his will 3 months later.  She bought him a bench.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 12:04:06 PM »
Seems like when I was a kid my Grandma had a chart of our ancestry.

Does Sue want to meet w/you?

uh huh she lives in Herefordshire, just north of Wales, south of Liverpool.  My Unca George her Dad was 10 or 12 years older than my Dad?

Her Mum Jacquline Jackie (it turns out I have a first cousin?) lives in Yorkshire on the NE coast.  I'll send them both a card at Christmas.

I've been talking to Sue (she's so pleased ((well no, she's frigging flipping out)).  

I sent her pics of her (previously unknown unseen ever before by her) father, my Dad's brother?  

I have pixs of my parents' wedding?

Sue has put me in touch with the Margaret who is a 6th cousin twice removed or something and lives on Vancouver Island?  It's a mad world...  It's a golf ball. 

pinging

xL

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 01:06:23 PM »
oh it gets even better, the world is so small.  It's a golf ball in a game the heavens are playing...

I've now found out and am emailing a relative in Comox Vancouver Island British Colombia Canada related to me Dad who my dad never knew about and he retired there from England...

Madness.  She's researching the entire gang.  Well him anyways...  She's going to take pix for me of the memorial granite bench on the Pacific Oooocean I'll never see.

Please don't buy me a bench or anything remotely resembling that when I die, please?
xL

I'm fairly certain that at Kew Gardens they have a massive shed into which they shelve all the benches in date order.  They just haul them out on any given day depending?

The step-bitch has moved to a new plush home and is still using my father's name, she's had 3 or 4 or 5 names and she's still using my Dad's.  Bitch cow with all the money.  

Stick that bench where the sun don't shine.  

Oh ouch it still hurts like hell and me Dad's been dead 7 years.  Their marriage lasted less long than that.  She didn't take him to the hospital, she let him die.  I was told in the April he was ill and he died in pain in early July of that year.  I wasn't there, I couldn't get there.

She even lied to me about his funeral.  I wasn't invited and by that time I'd found the dosh for the airfare and could've travelled to pay my respects, but she lied to me about the funeral.  She sent me a bad photocopy of his will 3 months later.  She bought him a bench.

This is such a familiar story. My grandmother was about the take her annual summer long trip home to Brittany, France when she fell boarding the lle de France, breaking her leg. As a result, she was diagnosed with cancer in her femur. The cancer quickly spread through her body. She didn't survive another year, so she never got to go home that one last time before dying. Granny and gramps were married for over forty years. Sometime after she died, my grandfather married grans live-in nurse and took her to the Vatican on their honeymoon....a trip gran wanted to go on with him and which he never agreed to do. I remember how pissed off my mom was when this happened. Nurse wife and gramps were married for several years before he died. She ended up with everything. My mom, aunts and uncle got  next to nothing from the estate (mom inherited a small bronze dish that was gran's which sits on a table in our dining room today). Hopefully, his second wife made my grandfather happy. He was always such a cranky fellow.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 01:13:18 PM »
yeppers, I always thought he might (would surely?) have been happy on that Island near that Beach in those Mountains next to that Ocean with those incredible Sunsets...  but it still doesn't oh anyways.

We're talking the St Malo ferry?  I went there 3x and across over to Cap Cat something or other?  It's a 12 hour+ overnight ferry from Portsmouth or was it Scumhampton?  Fantastic beach over to the left.  Amazing port upon arrival?.  Battlements.

People there were Celtic FrenchCanadian?  Bretangne?  There's a statue there of that Jacques whatshisname who discovered Canada?   Total madness...

Bet we're related?  Have you heard the 6x handshake thing?  I kissed Mel Gibson 20 years ago in Toronto!

xL

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 01:37:24 PM »
Goes back until around 1623, a man named Dirk ...., bricklayer or mason in The Hague.

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 01:46:12 PM »
Jacques Cartier Britanny / Bretange

I have a pic of me standing next to this statue sorta looking out across at the Atlantic?

xL

it won't let me post the jpg.  It's a statue on a plinth dammit and i cannot oh gimme strength

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 01:53:19 PM »
it's okay, I'm only finding all this out after me Dad died.  He told me all his rellies were shipped to Australia.  Apparantly there are thousands of people with my surname in Aussieland.

There are 3 in GB, 2 in Michigan in the USofA.  Did I spell that right?

s'funny

xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 04:58:49 PM »
It gets better.  The woman who got in touch with me is seriously into this ancestry stuff and is paying for every source of info she can lay her hands on.

She has found documents my Dad wrote for Nasa in the 1970's and 80's.  I had no idea he was that widespread.

It's all about electronics and the Kremlin and stuff inexplicable.

Perestrokia.  
He did go to Russia alot (well more than 5x).  

He also went to Japan and Sweden and Australia and California many times, so I had no idea.

If it was secret, we won't be able to find out.  

He brought me back some fab miltary hats.

xL

apply85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 09:56:39 AM »
i come from a fucked up family, some of whom are powerful people in my home country, one time my nephew visited with his mom and their friends, they brought to me as a present a solid gold wind up watch, weighs a ton, and they were visiting us in california because they were going to go to las vegas to take pics of the bellagio staircase so they could recreate it in their home. lol

my great grandmother was a famous woman, she was the first woman to publically take off the muslim veil in the central asian country i come from

on my mother's side, her father was a true badass, he served the whole duration of ww2 in the part of the army they call inteligentsia i think, but it wasnt intelligence, it was the part that took the heaviest casualties and their job was to stay way out there between germany and russia and run raids against undefended german camps

on his way back after germany's defeat, zhukov the general in charge was driving by, my grandfather was awarded the highest medal don't know what it was, he identified himself to zhukov, who said fuck you you go to jail. when my grandfather arrived in jail he was the man because anyone sent there by zhukov himself had high status lol

he never got the medal of course, because the medal meant u get extra food rations and money and what not, so the people handing them out sold them of course, but my grampy cared not

after the war he worked in a university, one his of his friend sin the kgb said pack up your shit stalin is doing his anti intellectual purging at ur school, so he fixed the locks at school so that he could get back in, hid his shit in that room. he didn't go home that night but hid somwerhe, that night he snuck back in, took his shit and climbed out the window and was gone. his coworkers were rounded up the next morning in their homes and sent to the gulags

what followed next was a decade of running and changing his name, from town to town, until he got caught. he and his wife were sent to siberia, they smuggled my mother and her brother out on a train, came back eventually resettled somewhere

Rhino

• Getbig IV
  • Jesus Christ is lord and savior
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 02:35:34 AM »
all around the black sea. turkey and ukraine. used to be the ottomon empire. ended up in canada
X

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 06:54:18 PM »
yes, my paternal side has been traced back to 1631 in the Co. Lough, Ireland:

came to US (long before it was the US) in 1737.

Such interesting stuff.....good topic  :)

Mega Man

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 09:20:48 PM »
This is a great thread.....there is a saying....

"IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU ARE FROM....YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING"

It's so true...every man should have his family tree done...and when he has a son...teach him the importance of developing charter and developing into the best attractive / stable man as possible....To attract the best suitable woman. They say you attract what you are....if you become the best man possible...you will attract the best woman possible...and you will have the best kids possible.

The elite families in the world know this.....it's not all about the money...it's a about secrets and wisdome that is passed down through generations. The Elite don't think and live like fools....it's all about progression...

MassiveM

• Getbig II
  • Founder of Thunderdome Drama!
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 09:00:29 AM »
Team Sarcasm

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 08:31:44 PM »
80% of my family goes back to Scotland, 10% from the Netherlands, and 10% from England.

I find genealogy very interesting.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 06:47:48 AM »
Dad side.. Spain and Africa
Mom's... Texas

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 03:18:46 PM »
More angst?  I was written out of my Dad's will and I was so very Daddy's Girl.  All my life.  It none of it makes any sense.  He retired to Vancouver Island and re-married at the age of 70.  I visited 3x.  He died at 76 and left it all to her.  Not millions or anything, but a few hundred thou.

Look at this road and beach upon which my Dad's ashes were strewn.  That's his ugly bench over there...
utter pile of totally disgustingly bad manners.  
in my country the wifey doesn't write upon the memorial for the dead bloke till she joins him.  

turns out that in Canada, they buy them benches and then go inscribe upon them their names with my Dad's dosh....

Erm?  to explain? a rellie i didn't know i had in England here  >>got in touch recently.  She has a relative on Vancouver Island who has gone to the trouble of photographing the bench i'll never see.  

low class.  barf.  I'm retching.
ugggggghhhhhh.  up till now i thought my family was fine.  I was proud.  but this i will never get over.

xxxL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 06:26:36 PM »
My Dad's bench from the other way, the southerly view...  

Yes I have been sent, by my recently found 3rd cousin 15 times removed, many photos of the god-damn bench and the frigging inscription on the horrid bench.  

Said sad awful bench is 8,000 or so miles and/or 8 hours backwards away from me on the other side of our planet.  A badly built bench on that Pacific beach walkway...

& I'll never have the opportunity to re-visit.  Oh well.  Oooh Errrrrrrr.

xL