Author Topic: Martin Kjellström Interview - 2011 Mr. Olympia Expo.  (Read 10466 times)

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
Martin Kjellström Interview - 2011 Mr. Olympia Expo.
« on: October 10, 2011, 05:13:01 PM »
I know I've been a bit of a shameless self-promoter on here so I'm trying to limit how many of my own pictures and videos I post, but I wanted to share this one interview I did with Martin Kjellström basically because I think a lot of the European guys don't get as much press as their colonial counterparts because they are overseas.

Martin was 305 at the Olympia expo and he is just over six feet tall.  I think he has the size to do well as long as he realizes that and doesn't chase more size in lieu of condition.  Also, on the other end of the spectrum, some bodybuilders take drastic measures to cut last minute which can hurt too.  This happened to Martin at the 2009 Olympia where his condition was great at the press conference but faded a little by showtime.

Also, the way Martin describes the Mutant products you can tell he actually uses them which is cool.  Pictures below are from the 2007 IFBB Australia Pro Grand Prix and the 2008 IFBB New York Pro:

Bodybuilding Pro.com

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
Re: Martin Kjellström Interview - 2011 Mr. Olympia Expo.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 05:16:57 PM »
He seems pissed off....
L

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 05:17:17 PM »
I know I've been a bit of a shameless self-promoter on here so I'm trying to limit how many of my own pictures and videos I post, but I wanted to share this one interview I did with Martin Kjellström basically because I think a lot of the European guys don't get as much press as their colonial counterparts because they are overseas.

Martin was 305 at the Olympia expo and he is just over six feet tall.  I think he has the size to do well as long as he realizes that and doesn't chase more size in lieu of condition.  Also, on the other end of the spectrum, some bodybuilders take drastic measures to cut last minute which can hurt too.  This happened to Martin at the 2009 Olympia where his condition was great at the press conference but faded a little by showtime.

Also, the way Martin describes the Mutant products you can tell he actually uses them which is cool.  Pictures below are from the 2007 IFBB Australia Pro Grand Prix and the 2008 IFBB New York Pro:

Do you believe he's 305lbs? doesn't look that big

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 05:18:21 PM »
MattC, any feedback on your placing in the recent "Getbig physique ranking" thread?

I think it was a great photo of you that was put up, looks like you have really brought up your traps and chest and of course your trademark delts look fantastic as well.

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 05:18:25 PM »
no cuts at all in those pics

need to get a better dealer

:D

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 05:27:59 PM »

It's hard to say for sure but Martin is tall for a bodybuilder so it's quite possible I think.  It seems odd to say, but even I feel slightly above average in height at bodybuilding expos.  My experience is that a legit 5'9 is by no means short for muscle building.  5'9-5'10 [Kevin Levrone] might in fact be the ideal and 5'11-6'0+ is in some ways too tall [people think Dennis Wolf still needs more thickness for example].  It all goes back to the point I was making in the interview about tall guys being pressured to put on more size to look as thick given they have longer limbs.

Martin is a really pleasant guy to speak with and I think we will be seeing him at the Olympia again.  Here are some photos of Martin from the expo which gives a better notion of his size:
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 05:40:05 PM »
MattC, any feedback on your placing in the recent "Getbig physique ranking" thread?

I think it was a great photo of you that was put up, looks like you have really brought up your traps and chest and of course your trademark delts look fantastic as well.

Hey thanks polychronopolous!!

What I hate about bodybuilding is that you can't just build up your physique to a point and keep it.  You have to maintain the environment you built it in to maintain your physique.  So even if I could build more size, I always question how realistic it would be for me to keep it for the long run.  I am currently around 170-175 which I think is realistic for me but I hope I can eventually be 180 and lean and healthy.  I do not want to be an armchair quarterback of the bodybuilding world [shmoe].  I fear I may be going down that road.

Also, I feel that my placing in the "Getbig physique ranking" thread was fair.  I still have no chest despite having a strong bench.  I attribute that to genetics.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 05:43:58 PM »
Hey thanks polychronopolous!!

What I hate about bodybuilding is that you can't just build up your physique to a point and keep it.  You have to maintain the environment you built it in to maintain your physique.  So even if I could build more size, I always question how realistic it would be for me to keep it for the long run.  I am currently around 170-175 which I think is realistic for me but I hope I can eventually be 180 and lean and healthy.  I do not want to be an armchair quarterback of the bodybuilding world [shmoe].  I fear I may be going down that road.

Also, I feel that my placing in the "Getbig physique ranking" thread was fair.  I still have no chest despite having a strong bench.  I attribute that to genetics.

Don't sell yourself short.  You still got some pretty decent pounds on deadlifts and bench press.
A

Sumpa

• Getbig III
  • GetHUGE!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 05:45:20 PM »
no cuts at all in those pics

need to get a better dealer

:D

Haha, he's a dealer himself and was recently sentenced to 3.5 years in prison!
Team Nasser!

Xerxes

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 05:46:31 PM »
Hey Matt C, looking better here. I will update your pic and the judging panel will take a closer look at your placing.

Sincerely yours,

Judge X

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 06:44:12 PM »

Don't sell yourself short.  You still got some pretty decent pounds on deadlifts and bench press.

Hey thanks Vince!  I'm actually pretty confident my deadlift is 500 now although I have not attempted it so can't really say that 100% - I can say that for my past two back workouts I did deadlifts without straps and I find that it made a HUGE difference.  I didn't realize how easily the barbell slips without straps or chalk.

Haha, he's a dealer himself and was recently sentenced to 3.5 years in prison!

I talked to Martin about the steroid laws in Sweden and law enforcement basically has the right to test anyone as long as they look like they might be using.  Toney Freeman was arrested in Sweden for simply showing up.  Jay Cutler later canceled his scheduled visit to Sweden:

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/news/breaking-news/2815-jay-cutler-apologizes-to-fans-in-sweden-transcript.html

Hey Matt C, looking better here. I will update your pic and the judging panel will take a closer look at your placing.

Sincerely yours,

Judge X

Hey thanks Kouroush!  I wish my physique was more in line with some of my lifts but I guess that's just how it goes.  I just want to look like I train because it seems odd to be involved in the bodybuilding world writing contest reports critiquing top pros if I myself don't even look like I train.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 06:46:50 PM »
Yes he does look at his waist.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 06:48:56 PM »
He does a good job of covering his waist with his arms whenever possible.

maxkane69

• Getbig IV
  • PALUMBOISM DESTROYED BODYBUILDING!
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 07:22:34 PM »
Martin Kjellstrom is done!
His waist is reaching the last stage of palumbismo!
He abused drugs too much for too long and now is body is reacting against him.
Poor Martin, he seem a nice guy that has been persecuted in his homeland by police because his drug addiction and was born with less than ideal structure and now is just one step away to become another Kovacs or Palumbo!
Hopefully will find something else to do,beside bodybuilding,in the near future because his career as a pro competitor is finished!
The pictures of Martin Kjellstrom that Matt C displayed above leave not a chance as competitor!    

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 07:30:07 PM »
he looks like a drugged up mess.

You look like a pale fairy Matt. Shav the burns, tan or put on a shirt for Christs sake, and do something about your face. You look lke you have a touch of Downs.

:-* ;D
I love you buddy.All in good fun.

Sumpa

• Getbig III
  • GetHUGE!
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 07:39:08 PM »
Martin Kjellstrom is done!
His waist is reaching the last stage of palumbismo!
He abused drugs too much for too long and now is body is reacting against him.
Poor Martin, he seem a nice guy that has been persecuted in his homeland by police because his drug addiction and was born with less than ideal structure and now is just one step away to become another Kovacs or Palumbo!
Hopefully will find something else to do,beside bodybuilding,in the near future because his career as a pro competitor is finished!
The pictures of Martin Kjellstrom that Matt C displayed above leave not a chance as competitor!    

Persecuted? He was smuggling and selling steroids and other drugs. His apartment was full of them.
Team Nasser!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 08:37:29 PM »
It's hard to say for sure but Martin is tall for a bodybuilder so it's quite possible I think.  It seems odd to say, but even I feel slightly above average in height at bodybuilding expos.  My experience is that a legit 5'9 is by no means short for muscle building.  5'9-5'10 [Kevin Levrone] might in fact be the ideal and 5'11-6'0+ is in some ways too tall [people think Dennis Wolf still needs more thickness for example].  It all goes back to the point I was making in the interview about tall guys being pressured to put on more size to look as thick given they have longer limbs.

Martin is a really pleasant guy to speak with and I think we will be seeing him at the Olympia again.  Here are some photos of Martin from the expo which gives a better notion of his size:

Bay likey :P

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 09:01:21 PM »
he looks like a drugged up mess.

You look like a pale fairy Matt. Shav the burns, tan or put on a shirt for Christs sake, and do something about your face. You look lke you have a touch of Downs.

:-* ;D
I love you buddy.All in good fun.

Wiggs - Great post!

Getbig is harsh but I have to say the feedback helps.  I've never been one to focus on my appearance in terms of clothes and hairstyle and things like that.  I've always wanted to be in good health but I guess I've never really had it together in terms of style.  I have been listening to people's advice and trying to improve.  My features are Southern European so there is no reason why a Swede should look darker than I do.  I guess some people are just late bloomers in certain areas but it's something I'm trying to work on.  I just don't want people to wonder why I follow bodybuilding if I don't care at all about my appearance myself.  It would be pretty ridiculous for me to write contest reports detailing structural deficits of top pros while I don't even look like I train.

Bay likey :P

How tall do you like men to be?
Bodybuilding Pro.com

maxkane69

• Getbig IV
  • PALUMBOISM DESTROYED BODYBUILDING!
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 09:07:23 PM »
Persecuted? He was smuggling and selling steroids and other drugs. His apartment was full of them.

Well , if that is the case , maybe he deserved what he got !

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 09:24:31 PM »
you know matt i have said before but i prefer the look of a taller bber. they look more athletic and not as compact,,midgetee ;D looking. its always better. i think anyone that says wolf needs more mass doesn't know what bbing is suppose to be about
irongearco.com

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Well , if that is the case , maybe he deserved what he got !

i can't agree. sweden is worse than the US on steriod policy.if you look like you maybe on steriods they can detain you and make you take a blood test..come on! ..makes no sense to me. they should be legal
irongearco.com

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 09:33:05 PM »
This guy must be seriously all drugs.

His muscled look so untrained and swallow, like they grew only with the drugs...all fkin drugs. No density.

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 09:52:24 PM »
you know matt i have said before but i prefer the look of a taller bber. they look more athletic and not as compact,,midgetee ;D looking. its always better. i think anyone that says wolf needs more mass doesn't know what bbing is suppose to be about

I hear you on that one.  I just noticed watching some of my interviews how big my head is for my body which makes me look more narrow than I already am.  I think Rich Gaspari had the same issue to be honest.  Whereas Orville Burke had a small head and it made him look even more wide than he already was.  These details may seem strange but I think they matter and I think it is part of the reason why Jay spiked his hair starting in 2009 - to make him look not only younger but also a little taller which changed the way his physique was displayed to some extent.  I think anyone can improve their appearance but I'm beginning to notice these little areas that are different on every person.  Have you ever seen a girl wearing makeup literally fade in attractiveness as time went on?  Whereas other girls consistently look the same.  I find this all very fascinating as someone who is only now beginning to make sense of these details.

I think having both size and height give the appearance of dominance but bodybuilding seems to favour medium height men although this is not without exception.  I think Mark Alvisi who is around 5'8 still looks pretty wide in his front double biceps pose so being shorter does not necessarily mean someone cannot look imposing:
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 09:53:11 PM »
This guy must be seriously all drugs.

His muscled look so untrained and swallow, like they grew only with the drugs...all fkin drugs. No density.

I think I understand your point there.  I would say that Martin is a bodybuilder who has to follow a very specific program to get in condition and conditioning will really make it or break it for him.  Other bodybuilders have a bit more leeway in this area.  I think both Fouad Abiad and Ben Pakulski have physiques whereby if they are even slightly off, their chests seem to disappear whereas other bodybuilders display full separation between their pecs and abs even while completely off-season.  With Martin, I think he can do well but only if he nails his conditioning.  Unfortunately for him I think he has very little leeway to screw up his prep in the last few days before contest.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Stavios

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 10:15:42 PM »
snitch