Author Topic: Eating Five Or Six Meals Each Day Speeds Up Metabolism - MYTH?  (Read 33491 times)

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
Re: Eating Five Or Six Meals Each Day Speeds Up Metabolism - MYTH?
« Reply #150 on: October 21, 2011, 07:52:04 AM »
eating is fun

notsureifsrs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #151 on: October 21, 2011, 10:00:05 AM »

Eating a lower carb diet will do the same thing and you never have to feel hungry.
But you getting flat and we don't want that to happen?

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #152 on: October 21, 2011, 10:10:48 AM »
But you getting flat and we don't want that to happen?

Explain flat? Remember I said lower not zero or low and we are talking health not BBing.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #153 on: October 21, 2011, 11:12:24 AM »
Look, "he/she has a slow metabolism" or " I have a fast metabolism" is usually in reference to how hard it is for someone to lose weight or gain or about how much food they can consume. But first you guys need to even define what "metabolism" is but SIMPLY put, your metabolic rate is the total energy expenditure of the body. Everything that the body does...breathing, heart beat, organ function, etc all require some amount of energy. The rate differs from person to person, you and someone else can have the same activity level, diet and weight but still gain or lose at different rates based on differences in metabolism.

Combining food with oxygen releases the energy needed to function. Every activity that happens requires some form of energy. The total of all of these actions is measured in calories (unit of heat). This is your metabolic rate (metabolism), the rate on which your body consumes energy.

60-70% is the largest and falls in your RMR (resting metabolic rate). Long story short (and I can go on ALL DAY). Three things have to come into play.....Resting metabolic rate (RMR - the sum of BMR + basic living), diet induced thermo (DIT) and energy of activity.

60-70% RMR

20-30% Activity induced

10% dietary

Quick example of TEF.....Fat has a low TEF of about 3-5% while protein is A LOT higher at about 30-35% (for those that understand TEF)

BTW, Disgusted has it right with the lower carbs.

matrixgh

• Getbig II
« Reply #154 on: October 21, 2011, 01:30:25 PM »
Look, "he/she has a slow metabolism" or " I have a fast metabolism" is usually in reference to how hard it is for someone to lose weight or gain or about how much food they can consume. But first you guys need to even define what "metabolism" is but SIMPLY put, your metabolic rate is the total energy expenditure of the body. Everything that the body does...breathing, heart beat, organ function, etc all require some amount of energy. The rate differs from person to person, you and someone else can have the same activity level, diet and weight but still gain or lose at different rates based on differences in metabolism.

Combining food with oxygen releases the energy needed to function. Every activity that happens requires some form of energy. The total of all of these actions is measured in calories (unit of heat). This is your metabolic rate (metabolism), the rate on which your body consumes energy.

60-70% is the largest and falls in your RMR (resting metabolic rate). Long story short (and I can go on ALL DAY). Three things have to come into play.....Resting metabolic rate (RMR - the sum of BMR + basic living), diet induced thermo (DIT) and energy of activity.

60-70% RMR

20-30% Activity induced

10% dietary

Quick example of TEF.....Fat has a low TEF of about 3-5% while protein is A LOT higher at about 30-35% (for those that understand TEF)

Absolutely correct, good explanation

jprc10

• Getbig III
« Reply #155 on: October 21, 2011, 01:39:42 PM »

60-70% RMR

20-30% Activity induced

10% dietary

So...TEF is related to the food one eats and different macros have different thermic effects, nice.....but why would number of meals affect TEF in any way, when total calories and macronutrients are the same?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #156 on: October 21, 2011, 01:43:57 PM »
Provide a link for these studies. Just don't cut and paste
ITS COMMON SENSE. YOUR BODY NEEDS X AMOUNT OF CALORIES PER DAY. IF YOU HAVENT EATEN ALL DAY YOUR MUSCLES WILL BE EMPTY. SO WHEN YOU EAT A MASSIVE MEAL ALL THAT FOOD GOES DIRECTLY INTO THE MUSCLE. INSULIN SENSITIVITY IS DIRECTLY RELATED TO GLYCOGEN LEVELS. WHEN THEY ARE LOW, INSULIN SENSITIVITY IS HIGH. EMPTY MUSCLES= NO NEED FOR INSULIN RELEASE IN RESPONSE TO BIG CARBOHYDATE LOAD.  YOU THINK YOU UNDERSTAND NUTRITION BUT YOU DONT KNOW JACK SHIT.

Well no , your body needs energy to digest and put that food to where its best used , its called TEF or Thermic Effect of Food and its well documented, the increase in metabolism is slight but over the course of a day you do burn more calories by taking in smaller feedings than if you were to take in 3 larger meals.

If you ate 3 large meals your metabolism would go up then drop right off - by smaller eating every few hours it keeps your metabilism raised.

TEF IS DETERMINED BY TOTAL AMOUNT OF FOOD EATEN...    ITS A % OF CALORIES INGESTED...   FOR EXAMPLE... 25 GRAMS OF PROTEIN TAKES ROUGHLY 20 CALORIES TO DIGEST....   REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THOSE 25 GRAMS WERE CONSUMED ALL AT ONCE, OR SPREAD OUT OVER 25 1 GRAM FEEDINGS...     IF YOU EAT THE SAME AMOUNT OF FOOD, IT DOESNT MATTER HOW MANY MEALS YOU SPREAD IT OUT OVER IT WILL REQUIRE THE SAME AMOUNT OF ENERGY TO DIGEST

So...TEF is related to the food one eats and different macros have different thermic effects, nice.....but why would number of meals affect TEF in any way, when total calories and macronutrients are the same?

IT DOESNT.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #157 on: October 21, 2011, 03:12:27 PM »
Tbombz must of missed my post.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #158 on: October 21, 2011, 09:34:28 PM »
This ended quick!

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #159 on: October 21, 2011, 10:22:43 PM »
Tbombz must of missed my post.
protein is more thermic than carbs or fats... is that yoru point ? so what..  what controls the basal metabolic rate ? thyroid hormone.. what controls thyroid hormone levels? mainly glucose intake..   idiot

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #160 on: October 21, 2011, 10:28:27 PM »
LOL....I just caught this. Going to bed now. I'll tear answer apart tomorrow. lol

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #161 on: October 21, 2011, 10:30:40 PM »
What's funny, I posted that right after you posted yours, you saw it and had all day to respond. Its takes along time to google something that isn't posted on the internet. lol

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #162 on: October 21, 2011, 10:38:52 PM »
Well not true, every one have different metabolism, also depend on our lifestyle, age, stress, health. first we have to look what type of carbs and amount in this 3 meals before we force in our stomach, as I mention before is all about GI for more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index, for example summo wrestlers consume 3 large meals some times 2 up to 5k cal a day including beer for extra cal,  and look at them :)

You should have learn rule of  thumb this forum: Fact's have nothing to do with the matter. It is all about who has the best endurance to rub it in. These guys doesn't understand even simplest facts, there isn't any capacity for that. This thread is good example, because even the first question is incorrect. Eating six meals a day is helps your body to absorb protein etc. from the food, and if that speed up your metabolism, it would be fucking nice thing to happen, but nobody eat six meas a day just for that. If you think you need 400g protein for day and you eat it on one meal, all it does is that your shit would be full of protein, because your body can't absorb it all it once. If you eat it in six meals, you at least give your body a change to absorb it. This can't be so hard to understand, but will they understand it ? No fucking way to do that ;D

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #163 on: October 21, 2011, 10:50:03 PM »
You guys need to stop using "speed up" or "slow" metabolism. It doesn't work that way.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #164 on: October 21, 2011, 11:09:47 PM »
What's funny, I posted that right after you posted yours, you saw it and had all day to respond. Its takes along time to google something that isn't posted on the internet. lol
  ::) i dont spend all day on the computer retard...  looking forward to another one of your assanine comments..

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #165 on: October 21, 2011, 11:18:28 PM »
I PROMISE I'll school your ass tomorrow. Damn, you STILL have a lot to learn.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #166 on: October 22, 2011, 07:07:11 PM »
  The problem with you idiots is that you read a single study, for which we know nothing about the methodology involved, and assume it is the bottom line on a subject. For instance, pharmaceutical companies make dozens of studies over many years using different protocols to determine the safety and effectiveness of a medication. The studies are rigorously controlled for extrinsic variables that may affect the result, are double-blind and placebo-controlled. You guys just read the excerpt from a single study on Pubmed and think that you know everything there is to know about it. Before we accept that intermitent fasting preserves mass better than multiple meals eaten throughout the day, we need to know exactly how this study was conducted and what were the methods and protocols used to arrive to this conclusion. How can they even measure this? Lean body mass change in a daily basis would be almost impossible to asses accurately.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

io856

« Reply #167 on: October 22, 2011, 07:10:04 PM »
 The problem with you idiots is that you read a single study, for which we know nothing about the methodology involved, and assume it is the bottom line on a subject. For instance, pharmaceutical companies make dozens of studies over many years using different protocols to determine the safety and effectiveness of a medication. The studies are rigorously controlled for extrinsic variables that may affect the result, are double-blind and placebo-controlled. You guys just read the excerpt from a single study on Pubmed and think that you know everything there is to know about it. Before we accept that internitent fasting preserve mass better than multiple meals eaten throughout the day, we need to know exactly how this study was conducted and what were the methods and protocals used to arrive to this conclusion. How can they even measure this? Lean body mass change in a daily basis would be almost impossible to asses accurately.

SUCKMYMUSCLE
It is then up to you to point out the problems with the particular study. Rather than just state that not all journal articles and their conclusions are accurate. Until then that peer reviewed article is valid and we can all accept it's conclusion.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #168 on: October 22, 2011, 07:11:02 PM »

TEF IS DETERMINED BY TOTAL AMOUNT OF FOOD EATEN...    ITS A % OF CALORIES INGESTED...   FOR EXAMPLE... 25 GRAMS OF PROTEIN TAKES ROUGHLY 20 CALORIES TO DIGEST....   REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THOSE 25 GRAMS WERE CONSUMED ALL AT ONCE, OR SPREAD OUT OVER 25 1 GRAM FEEDINGS...     IF YOU EAT THE SAME AMOUNT OF FOOD, IT DOESNT MATTER HOW MANY MEALS YOU SPREAD IT OUT OVER IT WILL REQUIRE THE SAME AMOUNT OF ENERGY TO DIGEST

I think you misunderstood what I meant , TEF is best used by eating smaller more frequent meals as it keeps your metabolism raised above baseline levels throughout the day meaning you are constantly burning fat - 3 larger meals do not do this - you get peaks and plateaus and even drops below baseline by eating in that fashion , this is proven fact in many studies.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #169 on: October 22, 2011, 07:15:52 PM »
It is then up to you to point out the problems with the particular study.

How can I point all the problems with that study? I tried to open it and only the excerpt was available. And peer-reviewed just means that the study followed an acdpeted protocol to come to it's conclusion. It does not tell us what protocol it was or what were the methods involved. I can say, though, that accurately assesing lean body mass changes from day to day accurately would be almost impossible.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #170 on: October 22, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
ITS COMMON SENSE. YOUR BODY NEEDS X AMOUNT OF CALORIES PER DAY. IF YOU HAVENT EATEN ALL DAY YOUR MUSCLES WILL BE EMPTY. SO WHEN YOU EAT A MASSIVE MEAL ALL THAT FOOD GOES DIRECTLY INTO THE MUSCLE. INSULIN SENSITIVITY IS DIRECTLY RELATED TO GLYCOGEN LEVELS. WHEN THEY ARE LOW, INSULIN SENSITIVITY IS HIGH. EMPTY MUSCLES= NO NEED FOR INSULIN RELEASE IN RESPONSE TO BIG CARBOHYDATE LOAD.  YOU THINK YOU UNDERSTAND NUTRITION BUT YOU DONT KNOW JACK SHIT.

IT DOESNT.

Lets see your client list stud. You're not even in my realm dude and I'm not even CLOSE to joking.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2011, 09:59:42 PM »
Lets see your client list stud. You're not even in my realm dude and I'm not even CLOSE to joking.
Ask your Butt buddy John Berardi about Intermittent Fasting.  He just released his results with it going form 10 percent to 4 percent using methods I have explained.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/10/12/prweb8874352.DTL&ao=2

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2011, 10:05:01 PM »
Ask your Butt buddy John Berardi about Intermittent Fasting.  He just released his results with it.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/10/12/prweb8874352.DTL&ao=2

And here comes the other cut and paste idiot. I already read it....when he sent it to me! BTW, I thought you'd chime in sooner but I guess it took you a while to google shit.

Did you even read the whole thing TA or did you google intermittent fasting and Berardi's name just happen to come up? See dude, I get sent alot of stuff by him and this was sent to me right after he wrote it. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2011, 10:20:59 PM »
John Berardi
I consider this project a success because I accomplished the following:

I lost 20 lb: I dropped my body weight from 190 pounds to 170 pounds.
I lost 6% body fat: I dropped my body fat % from 10% to 4% (as measured via ultrasound device).
I lost minimal lean mass.
I maintained my weight in the 170-175 pound range for almost 4 months.
I found at least two different IF protocols that I could probably follow indefinitely – the one day per week fast and the 16/8 fasting.

Before IF:

After IF:

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2011, 10:22:44 PM »
And here comes the other cut and paste idiot. I already read it....when he sent it to me! BTW, I thought you'd chime in sooner but I guess it took you a while to google shit.

Did you even read the whole thing TA or did you google intermittent fasting and Berardi's name just happen to come up? See dude, I get sent alot of stuff by him and this was sent to me right after he wrote it. 
Your Own Boyfriend just Pwned the shit out of your bullshit arguments based on nonsense.

How do you like that?