Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 34337 times)

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
NBA Discussion
« on: October 12, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
Has anyone been following this?

I do not think its a case of owner greed.

I think this one is on the players. The players got a great deal last go around. The players assoc. has a right to lockout but I think they should give a little.

On a side note, I dont think the country really gives two shits about the nba's problems. The nba both players and owners( players especially) don't have the equity with the country like the nfl did to not see an alienation from the fans. They could lose money from this.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
Re: NBA lockout - first 2 weeks of season canceled
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 04:03:50 PM »
They will play, the players will fold, they get no cheques if they dont play.
Book it.
lebron, kobe etc can afford not to play but there not going to risk not taking a huge pay cheque.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 12:21:55 PM »
They're not even close to making a deal.  There will not be an NBA season, I'd be shocked if there was.  Most NBA teams are losing money, all this while someone like Joe Johnson of the Hawks is on a $100 Million dollar contract?  :o

Maybe Hockey becomes relevant again

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 01:49:13 PM »
They could cancel the whole league and I wouldn't care.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 03:10:35 PM »
Who really gives a shit. The NBA product has gotten so bad over the past decade. Such a sissy league now with all of the hand check rules and quickdraw technical fouls by the refs.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 04:14:44 PM »

x1000
~

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 08:00:49 PM »
who actually cares to watch the nba in the fall anyways?

E
E

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 02:57:11 PM »
In Letter to Union, Stern Details His Ultimatum

The ultimatum issued by the NBA to its players over the weekend not only threatens them with a worse labor deal, but also a massive pay cut if they do not make a deal by Wednesday afternoon.

A letter sent by David Stern, the commissioner of the N.B.A., to the players union Sunday contrasts the proposal on the table — highlighted by a 50-50 split of revenues — with a “reset” proposal that would cut the players’ share to 47 percent, roll back current contracts, impose a hard salary cap and reduce contract lengths.

The salary rollback, which was part of the N.B.A.’s first controversial proposal in 2010, had not been included in any league proposal for many months, and it was not publicly mentioned by Stern when he announced the ultimatum Saturday night.

But the rollback was included in the letter Stern sent to Billy Hunter, the union’s executive director. A copy of the letter was obtained by The New York Times.

The union has until 5 p.m. Wednesday to accept the N.B.A.’s last proposal or have it replaced by the reset proposal, Stern wrote.

“Rather than simply proceeding, as we could have, to offer a less favorable proposal at this time, the N.B.A. is providing an additional period of time for the players association to consider our 50/50 proposal,” Stern wrote. “We are hopeful that the prospect of a less favorable outcome for the players will prompt the players association to realize that the best deal that can be reached is the one the N.B.A. is prepared to make right now.”

Stern closes, “Billy, I sincerely hope that we can reach an agreement over the next few days.”

The N.B.A.’s current proposal to the players includes a soft salary cap, a 50 percent share of revenues for players and these features:

Salary-cap and luxury-tax levels in Years 1 and 2 of the new agreement will be no less than they were in 2010-11. By Year 3, they will be adjusted downward to conform to the new system.
    Sign-and-trade deals and the biannual exception will be available only to nontaxpaying teams.
    Extend-and-trade deals, such as the one signed by Carmelo Anthony last season, will be prohibited.
    The midlevel exception will be set at $5 million for nontaxpaying teams, with a maximum length between three and four years (alternating annually). The value of the exception will grow by 3 percent annually, starting in Year 3.
    The midlevel exception will be set at $2.5 million for taxpaying teams, with a maximum length of two years, and cannot be used in consecutive years. Its value will also grow at 3 percent annually.
    A 10 percent escrow tax will be withheld from player salaries, to ensure that player earnings do not exceed 50 percent of league revenues. An additional withholding will be applied in Year 1 “to account for business uncertainty” stemming from the lockout.
    Maximum contract lengths will be five years for “Bird” free agents and four years for others.
    Annual contract increases will be 5.5 percent for “Bird” players and 3.5 percent for others.
    Players will be paid a prorated share of their 2011-12 salaries, based on the number of games played once the season starts.
    Team and player contract options will be prohibited in new contracts, other than rookie deals. But a player can opt out of the final year of a contract if he agrees to zero salary protection (i.e., if it is nonguaranteed).
    The “reset” proposal features a flex-cap system that contains an absolute salary ceiling — to be set $5 million above the average team salary. In addition, the N.B.A. would roll back existing contracts “in proportion to system changes in order to ensure sufficient market for free agents.”
    The other major differences in the “reset” proposal are:
    The midlevel exception would be set at $3 million in Year 1, with a maximum length of three years, and would grow at 3 percent annually.
    Maximum salaries would be reduced.
    Sign-and-trade rules would remain consistent with the 2005 labor deal.
    Contracts would be limited to four years for “Bird” free agents and three years for others, but each team could give a five-year deal to one designated player.
    Raises would be limited to 4.5 percent for “Bird” players and 3.5 percent for others.
    Changes requested by the union on restricted free agency rules and salary-cap holds would not be included.

Both proposals include an “amnesty” provision that will allow every team to waive one player and have 100 percent of his salary removed from the cap.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/08/sports/basketball/nba-in-letter-to-union-stern-details-his-ultimatum.html?_r=2

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 11:23:05 AM »
Players rejected the deal. Negotiations break off. NBA season unlikely.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 08:53:13 AM »
if these tall prima donnas ever come back the fans should go on strike.
F

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 01:13:41 PM »

QFT.     I am in Hockey mode now.   My GF is a hockey nit and got me in to hockey.   Way better than basketball. 

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »
QFT.     I am in Hockey mode now.   My GF is a hockey nit and got me in to hockey.   Way better than basketball

Amen.  The last two minutes of a hockey game (a competitive one, anyway) are exciting, wall-to-wall action.

The last two minutes of a basketball game are almost as long as the first 46.  Foul-time out-free throw-time out-foul-time out etc.
~

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 07:42:34 PM »
when did the nba regular season matter anyways?

lets just have a playoff between the heat, bulls, celtics, lakers, mavericks, spurs, oklahoma

you know one of those teams is winning the title and the rest are just jobbers

E
E

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
Re: NBA Discussion
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 05:37:15 AM »
Lol, the nba denied the 2nd chris paul trade.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 08:20:33 AM »
Paul officially a clipper.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 10:30:02 AM »
Paul officially a clipper.

Going to be worth watching him and Blake together.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 02:27:14 PM »
I have some choice words for David Stern.   >:(

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 10:26:03 AM »
Baron Davis is now a knick. Very weird.

The knicks finally look like they can contend for something.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 09:32:28 AM »
Clippers looked great yesterday..wow.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 10:35:34 AM »
Meh.  They did, but it's preseason.  I'm sure Laker fans are in full meltdown mode, but need to wait till the season starts. 

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 11:37:09 AM »
Meh.  They did, but it's preseason.  I'm sure Laker fans are in full meltdown mode, but need to wait till the season starts. 

Hey BeachBum, hows things? hope you been well buddy?

do you think the lakers will make noise this season? troy murphy??? derek fisher (way over the hill), matt barnes and others whom i have never seen before will be a hot mess season. I dont see this team doing anything but getting blown out.

Metta World peace was terrible last season, i expect even worse this year, he is slow. Kobe will have superstar nights, he still has a sick jumpshot, round it off with bynum and gasol, both are decent.
I will be suprised if they win 37 games this year, I expect teams like Miami, Knicks, Celtics and durant and friends, to curbstomp them...the clippers will be to athletic for them..

I expect kobe to go off for a 45 point games and 50 point games to prove a point but lose in the process.

I have always put my money on the lakers, but no this year.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 11:51:09 AM »
Hey BeachBum, hows things? hope you been well buddy?

do you think the lakers will make noise this season? troy murphy??? derek fisher (way over the hill), matt barnes and others whom i have never seen before will be a hot mess season. I dont see this team doing anything but getting blown out.

Metta World peace was terrible last season, i expect even worse this year, he is slow. Kobe will have superstar nights, he still has a sick jumpshot, round it off with bynum and gasol, both are decent.
I will be suprised if they win 37 games this year, I expect teams like Miami, Knicks, Celtics and durant and friends, to curbstomp them...the clippers will be to athletic for them..

I expect kobe to go off for a 45 point games and 50 point games to prove a point but lose in the process.

I have always put my money on the lakers, but no this year.

What's up Quick?  I'm good mang.  How you been? 

I'm not really all that optimistic about the Lakers bringing home the trophy this year.  Too much uncertainty at this point.  I think they're still trying to get Howard.  Need to see what they plan to do with the Odom trade exception.  I trust Mitch, because he has proved he knows how to make the right moves, but I'm scratching my head over that Odom trade at this point. 

They will contend.  Kobe is still the best player in basketball IMO.  Bynum when healthy is a stud and Gasol, if he returns to form, is outstanding.  So it's not like they're going be lottery team. 

That said, I would not put money on the Lakers this year.  At least not yet. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 04:07:34 PM »
Funny exchange after Kobe lit Raja Bell up for 40, fouling him out in the process. 

First, Bell weighed in. “If he’s going to take 31 shots to get 40, then that’s pretty much all you can do. Anyone shooting 31 shots should score 40.”

Bryant had his say as well. “He can’t stop me. He knows that. But he’s good enough to make it interesting.”

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/53282477-87/bell-bryant-jazz-shots.html.csp

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 06:27:22 AM »
76 ers 8 and 3 yahooo ;D ;D ;D actually does make my day.
F

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 12:17:56 PM »
Lakers are off to a pretty good start.

The knicks not so much.