Author Topic: Supersize Me: The Result Of Eating A McDonald's Diet.  (Read 22674 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: Supersize Me: The Result Of Eating A McDonald's Diet.
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2011, 04:05:47 PM »
 And what exactly is your science, dummy? Let's hear it.

SUCKMYMUSCLE
Why are you so baffled by Chicken, Beef and Fish and Potatoes?

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2011, 04:09:19 PM »

is there any of that in mcdonalds?

suckmymuscle

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2011, 04:12:37 PM »

What am I baffled about? Different diets at the same number of calories, with different rates of macronutrients as well other variables(such as whether the carbohydrates are short monosaccharide chains or long polysaccharide chains) will produce different effect on the body's physiology and biochemistry, resulting in different health markers and body composition markers. For instance, even when you control for calories, it is much easier to lose bodyfat by lowering blood insulin levels which is best accomplished by not eating refined carbohydrates.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2011, 04:15:28 PM »

He got to the meat of his argument
'Chazz' Weaver ate only fast food for 30 days, challenging assumptions about diet.
By BRIAN MARTINEZ
The Orange County Register
COSTA MESA – Charles "Chazz" Weaver on Friday completed his monthlong McDonald's-only experiment, claimed he lost 8 pounds in the project, and challenged the creator of the "Super Size Me" film to a public debate on obesity and fast food.
Weaver, 48, ate nothing but McDonald's fare for 30 consecutive days – every menu item at least once – to prove that staying thin is about calorie intake and exercise. His credentials are his fit body, 19 years of studying fitness as a hobby, and helping friends lose weight.
"I am not an advocate of fast food as a lifestyle, but neither do you have to be on a so- called diet," he said.
His strength and energy have not diminished and he hasn't had negative effects, he said.
"Not even a headache or a mood swing," he said.

Statistics detailing 30-day experiment
Weight: 222 pounds on Day 1 and 214 pounds on Day 30
Blood pressure: 111/78 on Day 1 and 121/81 on Day 30
Cholesterol: 208 at the start of the project; he will retest today and should have results on his Web site by Monday
The last meal: Friday, April 30, 4:30 p.m. Big Mac, Double Cheeseburger, 6-piece Chicken McNuggets, snack-size Fruit & Yogurt Parfait, medium Diet Coke – total calories: 1,550
Media interviews: 50-75, mostly for radio talk shows
Exercise: 25-30 minutes of cardio training and 50-60 minutes of strength training, six days a week
Verification: A witness was present to videotape meals.
Calories: Started at 3,500 daily calories but has fluctuated as high as 5,700. He warns that this amount is tailored for his body and exercise regimen and is not for a typical person. Before starting the challenge, he used protein shakes and bars but no other supplements.
Favorite item: McGriddle breakfast sandwich
Least favorite item: The ice cream
Seminar: Weaver will give a free fitness seminar and a report on his 30-day challenge today at Triangle Square, 1870 Harbor Blvd., Costa Mesa, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The Costa Mesa resident is fed up with Americans who don't take responsibility for being out of shape, fitness entrepreneurs who make a living on incomplete information, and overweight nutrition scholars who don't "walk the walk," he said. He hopes the project will inspire people to research fitness and help them lose weight.
He got the idea for his experiment after reading about and taking exception to the documentary, "Super Size Me," which records the deterioration of filmmaker Morgan Spurlock's health. Spurlock ate almost as many calories as Weaver, but his only exercise was walking the same amount of steps as the average American.
"I think its great that Chazz is attempting to stay fit," Spurlock said through a spokesman Friday. "The underlying theme in my film is to try to increase personal and corporate responsibility."
He declined to respond to Weaver's debate challenge.
At least five people have taken up experiments such as Weaver's, McDonald's spokesman Walt Riker said. He said the company has no connection with them or Weaver.
"There seems to be a grass- roots backlash against the outrageous misbehavior in Spurlock's film," Riker said. "Stuffing yourself and not exercising is irresponsible."

Weaver said he has spent about $13,000 of his own money on the project.
"I'm looking for the psychic benefit," he said. "Doing something good for people is really pleasurable."

Hey TA, I couldn't find the part where they said how much HRT and t-3 and clen he was on. Can you?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2011, 04:20:19 PM »
is there any of that in mcdonalds?
Their Beef is of the highest quality and has zero additives.  Their buns are made by Merita and a few other brands in the grocery stores.  I could go on, but there is no point unless you just want to believe lies.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2011, 04:29:03 PM »
Their Beef is of the highest quality and has zero additives.  Their buns are made by Merita and a few other brands in the grocery stores.  I could go on, but there is no point unless you just want to believe lies.

I agree that Big Macs are not harmful in moderation if you eat mostly clean foods. What kills it is the partially hydrogenated oils they use to fry their burgers as well as the partially hydrogenated fat in the bread. These contain fatty acids, like trans-oleic acid, that are worse for your health than the saturated fats in meat. And yes, you would have a heart attack in six months if all you ate were as litte as no more than 500 calories a day of PHVO. From what I understand, they stopped using PHVO in many of their chains, but not in all of them.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

MikMaq

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2011, 04:32:22 PM »

lol 'adonis' is the biggest stooge/ troll in the online community.

and you guys constantly bite.

it disappoints me to see you guys take his bait so often, cause hes far from as intelligent as hed like to be made to be seen.
I don't get why he's getting so much face time around here, it's like back in the day, when his 300 photo was everywhere, we keep feeding him, and he keeps piling on the shit.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2011, 04:34:39 PM »
This "calorie is a calorie" stuff is bullshit.  C'mon.  Eating McD's and weight training can make you look muscular, but just having good muscularity does not necessarily mean you are in good health.  Eating that processed garbage eventually has to take a toll on your health.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2011, 05:37:27 PM »
  I agree that Big Macs are not harmful in moderation if you eat mostly clean foods. What kills it is the partially hydrogenated oils they use to fry their burgers as well as the partially hydrogenated fat in the bread. These contain fatty acids, like trans-oleic acid, that are worse for your health than the saturated fats in meat. And yes, you would have a heart attack in six months if all you ate were as litte as no more than 500 calories a day of PHVO. From what I understand, they stopped using PHVO in many of their chains, but not in all of them.

SUCKMYMUSCLE
Wrong.  You don`t know a goddamned thing about how they cook or anything for that matter.

Hope this helps.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/10/the-burger-lab-the-myth-of-the-12-year-old-mcdonalds-hamburger.html

Having worked with many McDonalds patty producers,I can verify the patties are Pure Beef. Knowing how the meat is cooked and handled, here is the obvious prediction, with a few caveats.

The McDonalds products will stay fresh looking linger, the home made will start to go rancid and mold. The issue is in technique. McD's cooks meat to a minimum of 156 Degrees f throughout the patty which means the surface hits temperatures well over 200 degrees. This is cooked in a clamshell which heats from both sides. The product usually is held for up to 10 minutes for the heat to equilibrate, the product will lose 30% of its weight in water from this starting the dehydration process. the McD's buns are toasted, dehydrating them (in many stores now, 12 years ago it was standard) causing a low water activity.

Barring moisture from pickles and condiments these should continue drying leaving the only spoilage as oxidative rancidity. A home made burger, following techniques used in your articles will be cooked to no more than 150 degrees, the shrink due to moisture will be less than 20% you will have a moist environment with a high water activity favoring the growth of yeast, mold and bacteria. Also the formulation of the buns is critical to the ability to preserve. McDonalds has had their bakeries design the recipe for the buns to enhance shelf life, and browning when toasted. THere will be different dough conditioners and sweeteners and possibly the types of shortening used when comparing to a store bought bun.
       Just because a product can be dehydrated easily, doesn't mean it is full of chemicals. If you go to the few remaining country ham manufacturers in the US many have "Antique " hams, 100 years old or more that are stable because of the careful drying they underwent.

Meat guy at 9:56AM on 10/15/10

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2011, 05:39:22 PM »
This "calorie is a calorie" stuff is bullshit.  C'mon.  Eating McD's and weight training can make you look muscular, but just having good muscularity does not necessarily mean you are in good health.  Eating that processed garbage eventually has to take a toll on your health.
Nope. Join the parade of idiots and get in line.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2011, 05:40:42 PM »
Nope. Join the parade of idiots and get in line.
You're the only idiot here. HTH.
T

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2011, 05:46:59 PM »
You're the only idiot here. HTH.
Get in line simple mind. 

suckmymuscle

« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2011, 05:47:09 PM »
Wrong.  You don`t know a goddamned thing about how they cook or anything for that matter.

Hope this helps.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/10/the-burger-lab-the-myth-of-the-12-year-old-mcdonalds-hamburger.html

Having worked with many McDonalds patty producers,I can verify the patties are Pure Beef. Knowing how the meat is cooked and handled, here is the obvious prediction, with a few caveats.

The McDonalds products will stay fresh looking linger, the home made will start to go rancid and mold. The issue is in technique. McD's cooks meat to a minimum of 156 Degrees f throughout the patty which means the surface hits temperatures well over 200 degrees. This is cooked in a clamshell which heats from both sides. The product usually is held for up to 10 minutes for the heat to equilibrate, the product will lose 30% of its weight in water from this starting the dehydration process. the McD's buns are toasted, dehydrating them (in many stores now, 12 years ago it was standard) causing a low water activity.

Barring moisture from pickles and condiments these should continue drying leaving the only spoilage as oxidative rancidity. A home made burger, following techniques used in your articles will be cooked to no more than 150 degrees, the shrink due to moisture will be less than 20% you will have a moist environment with a high water activity favoring the growth of yeast, mold and bacteria. Also the formulation of the buns is critical to the ability to preserve. McDonalds has had their bakeries design the recipe for the buns to enhance shelf life, and browning when toasted. THere will be different dough conditioners and sweeteners and possibly the types of shortening used when comparing to a store bought bun.
       Just because a product can be dehydrated easily, doesn't mean it is full of chemicals. If you go to the few remaining country ham manufacturers in the US many have "Antique " hams, 100 years old or more that are stable because of the careful drying they underwent.

Meat guy at 9:56AM on 10/15/10

Hey, dumbass, what has this got to do with anything that I am saying? How does this prove that the bread doesen't have partially hydrogenated fat from margarine? What the fuck has rancidity got to do with anything that I am talking?

SUCKMYMUSCLE

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2011, 05:49:02 PM »
 Hey, dumbass, what has this got to do with anything that I am saying? How does this prove that the bread doesen't have partially hydrogenated fat from margarine? What the fuck has rancidity got to do with anything that I am talking?

SUCKMYMUSCLE
You claimed the cook the beef in Hydrogenated Oil.  They don`t.  You=clueless moron who knows nothing about the Fast Food Industry, Food or Nutrition in general.

The Evidence, Science and Facts are NOT on your side and you are choosing to believe myths and lies which you most likely made up out of thin air.  How are you any different than the Creationists?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2011, 05:50:38 PM »
  Sure, if you eat less calories than you spend you will lose body mass(either fat or muscle depending on many factors), but this is not what this is about. I agree that, for bodyweight loss, all that matters are calories, but what you eat, irrespective of calories, matters a lot when it comes to body composition and health. You put two guys on a weight loss diet, both eating 1,800 calories a day, but one getting the 1,800 calories from McDonald's whilst the other getting the 1,800 calories from chicken breasts and brown rice, and the latter will lose more fat and less muscle than the other. You put two guys on the same number or calories a day, say, 3,000, but one getting all of them from McDonald's whilst the other from tuna, chicken breasts and brown rice and oatmeal, and the latter will have much better health markers than the former.

SUCKMYMUSCLE
the fact that you mention brown rice and oatmeal when trying to give an example of a diet optimal for health shows you have a poor understanding of human metabolism.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2011, 05:51:54 PM »
Bread ingredients are exactly the same as you would find in any store bought bread.

I hope this helps.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2011, 05:58:08 PM »
No one is questioning your training or nutrition knowledge. The point is you can lose weight on a McDonalds, improve your body composition, etc. Dave Palumbo has Juan Morel eating McDonalds 2-3 weeks out from North Americans trying to keep him from losing muscle. I really don't see where you are headed with this.
"dave palumbo has juan morel eating.." blah blah blah....    fuck your stupid leafy

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2011, 05:59:45 PM »
The Evidence, Science and Facts are NOT on your side and you are choosing to believe myths and lies which you most likely made up out of thin air.  How are you any different than the Creationists?
and there is evidence that supports the other option (eternal, uncreated, uncaused universe) ?   :)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2011, 06:00:13 PM »
Supermarket Bagels. Supermarket Bread, any brand will have the same ingredients.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2011, 06:04:23 PM »
http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/food_quality/see_what_we_are_made_of/your_questions_answered/canola_blend_oil.html

Canola Blend Cooking Oil
We answer your questions about our cooking oil.

What oils do you cook with?
McDonald’s uses a Canola blend cooking oil. All fried menu items in McDonald’s U.S. restaurants are now 0 grams trans fat per serving. This includes French Fries, Hash Browns, all non-grilled chicken choices and the Filet-O-Fish.

Are peanut or soy used in your vegetable oil blend?
We use a Canola blend cooking oil, which does contain some soybean oil. All fried menu items in McDonald's U.S. restaurants are now 0 grams trans fat per serving. This includes French Fries, Hash Browns, all chicken choices and the Filet-O-Fish.

Do you fry different types of meat in the same oil?
No, our fried menu items (some chicken and fish menu items) are cooked in separate oil baskets.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2011, 06:06:34 PM »
http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/food_quality/see_what_we_are_made_of/your_questions_answered/meats.html

Do you add fat to cook your burger patties?
Our burger patties are just 100% pure beef. Nothing is added – no binders or fillers. The restaurants use a double-sided grill called a “clamshell” to grill the patties, and no extra fat is added.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2011, 06:14:03 PM »
http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/food_quality/see_what_we_are_made_of/your_questions_answered/canola_blend_oil.html

Canola Blend Cooking Oil
We answer your questions about our cooking oil.

What oils do you cook with?
McDonald’s uses a Canola blend cooking oil. All fried menu items in McDonald’s U.S. restaurants are now 0 grams trans fat per serving. This includes French Fries, Hash Browns, all non-grilled chicken choices and the Filet-O-Fish.

Are peanut or soy used in your vegetable oil blend?
We use a Canola blend cooking oil, which does contain some soybean oil. All fried menu items in McDonald's U.S. restaurants are now 0 grams trans fat per serving. This includes French Fries, Hash Browns, all chicken choices and the Filet-O-Fish.

Do you fry different types of meat in the same oil?
No, our fried menu items (some chicken and fish menu items) are cooked in separate oil baskets.

I had seen this before, but I thought it only applied to some of their joints. Does it apply to all of them? What about the bread? Do they add margarine(partially hydrogenated oil) to it?

SUCKMYMUSCLE

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2011, 06:17:13 PM »
Whats ironic or coincidental is that we had this SAME Discussion EXACTLY a year ago.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=351776.150

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/mcdonald-100289-plant-buns.html

Fresh buns: How does McDonald's get them?By NANCY LUNA

Brea-based Fresh Start Bakeries, a key supplier to McDonald's, gives the Register a rare glimpse of its new $22 million plant.

The first of a two-part look at McDonald's suppliers

ONTARIO — As I walked into the lobby of Fresh Start Bakeries' multimillion dollar plant the other day, I could feel my nostrils flare as the powerful and pleasing smell of yeast overtook me.

MUFFIN MAKING: This machine is cutting muffin dough. Fresh Start's Ontario plant cranks out 1,400-dozen English Muffins an hour. The muffins are used for Egg McMuffins, one of McDonald's most popular meals.

McDonald's ketchup kingdom: a tour of Golden State Food

Behind the Scenes at In-N-Out Burger Fresh Start Bakeries
Headquarters: Brea

History: The small bakery, founded in Los Angeles in the early 1960s, got its first break in 1964 when it began baking buns for McDonald's. Through expansion and various acquisitions, the company has grown into a global baking giant with 25 plants operating in the U.S., Europe, South America, Central America and Australia. Last year, Fresh Start bought Santa Ana-based Sweet Life, a cookie supplier for McDonald's.

Customers: 17 plants, including the one in Ontario, are dedicated to making buns and muffins for McDonald's. The company also supplies other fast-food chains and grocery stores such as Costco, Smart & Final and Stater Bros.

Finances: Annual sales at the private firm exceed more than $500 million. McDonald's accounts for about 50 percent of Fresh Start's global revenue, down from 90 percent five years ago.

Source: Fresh Start Bakeries
Food facts and milestones
McDonald's beef is 100% USDA-inspected beef with no fillers, additives or extenders

In 1987, McDonald's introduced fresh-tossed salads.

In 2003, the chain started using �all-white� chicken for Chicken McNuggets. Previously the meat was �blended� or a grounded mix of dark and white meats.

In 2006, McDonald's became an industry leader when it added nutrition information on packaging.

McDonald's food comes from certified suppliers who are audited and inspected on a regular basis. Besides Fresh Start Bakeries in Brea, key McDonald's suppliers in the U.S. include Dannon, Kraft, Nestl�, Tyson, Newman's Own and Irvine-based Golden State Foods.

Food served in restaurants goes through more than 2,000 safety, quality and inspection checks. Bakeries, for example, must run bread products through a metal detector.

For its Fruit & Walnut Salad and Apple Dippers, McDonald's uses four kinds of apples that are available year-round and that meet quality standards: Granny Smith, Gala, Jonagold and Empire apples.
More from Life
•Decorate a pumpkin by not carving it
•Lawyer joins spill challenge
•McDonald's McRib to get national spotlightI felt like I'd entered grandma's house as she pulled a hot loaf of bread from the oven.
Later, as I witnessed hundreds of Big Mac buns whizzing past me on a conveyor belt, it was clear that I was visiting someplace much more complicated — and more fascinating — than granny's kitchen.
The plant, run by Brea-based Fresh Start Bakeries, cranks out 14.4 million buns per week for fast-food chains and supermarkets in Southern California.
Its most important client: McDonald's.
The companies have been partners since 1964 — a time when Ray Kroc made handshake deals with suppliers as he vigorously pursued building a burger empire. Today, Fresh Start has 17 bakeries across the globe dedicated to making buns for the world's most famous burger brand.
McDonald's invited me and a couple of nutritionists to tour Fresh Start's $22 million, state-of-the-art plant in Ontario recently as part of a special "quality assurance" program.
The idea: by viewing how its suppliers operate, McDonald's can send a message that the chain is serious about food safety and quality.
"Quality is certainly a top priority at McDonald's," said Todd Bacon, head of the chain's U.S. Supply Chain Management.
Bacon, who holds a doctorate in "meat science," discussed the strict controls and guidelines McDonald's places on vendors and suppliers. Rules apply for just about any kind of scenario along the food chain — from how to treat a sick broiler chicken to requiring hot buns to pass through metal detectors.
Any supplier that goofs is out.
That's it. No second chances.
"There's too much at stake for us not to do everything we can," Bacon said of McDonald's pursuit of food safety and quality.
I was not allowed to bring a staff photographer to document the tour. The reason? Something about revealing "trade or proprietary" secrets. However, I did manage to get approval to snap a few photos with my point-and-shoot camera during the hour-long tour, led by veteran plant manager Bob Mitchell.
"Baker Bob," as he's affectionately called, put on a great show for us.
We saw giant blobs of dough whirling through stainless steel kneading machines. We held delicate dough balls drizzled with corn meal that would eventually become steaming hot English muffins. And we got a peek at how the basic dough is made for any McDonald's bun. (Sorry, exact recipes were not revealed.)
The most stunning detail of the plant: very little human handling of product. I saw only a handful of workers in the entire 150,000-square-foot bakery, which also makes buns for Costco, Smart & Finaland Stater Bros.
When Fresh Start moved the facility to Ontario from the City of Industry in 2007, the company added state-of-the-art computer equipment to automate nearly every part of the baking process.
Overall, it was an eye-opening experience. I learned some fun factoids, including the answer to this question: How many seeds are on top of a sesame-seed bun?
To get the answer, take a look at the slide show.
Part 2: The lettuce fields of Salinas
Contact the writer: nluna@ocregister.com or 714-796-6756. Checkout my fast food blog at ocregister.com/fastfood

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2011, 06:19:34 PM »
Hey TA, I couldn't find the part where they said how much HRT and t-3 and clen he was on. Can you?

Bump

And I'm dead serious about this.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2011, 06:23:08 PM »
Whats ironic or coincidental is that we had this SAME Discussion EXACTLY a year ago.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=351776.150

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/mcdonald-100289-plant-buns.html

Fresh buns: How does McDonald's get them?By NANCY LUNA

Brea-based Fresh Start Bakeries, a key supplier to McDonald's, gives the Register a rare glimpse of its new $22 million plant.

The first of a two-part look at McDonald's suppliers

ONTARIO — As I walked into the lobby of Fresh Start Bakeries' multimillion dollar plant the other day, I could feel my nostrils flare as the powerful and pleasing smell of yeast overtook me.

MUFFIN MAKING: This machine is cutting muffin dough. Fresh Start's Ontario plant cranks out 1,400-dozen English Muffins an hour. The muffins are used for Egg McMuffins, one of McDonald's most popular meals.

McDonald's ketchup kingdom: a tour of Golden State Food

Behind the Scenes at In-N-Out Burger Fresh Start Bakeries
Headquarters: Brea

History: The small bakery, founded in Los Angeles in the early 1960s, got its first break in 1964 when it began baking buns for McDonald's. Through expansion and various acquisitions, the company has grown into a global baking giant with 25 plants operating in the U.S., Europe, South America, Central America and Australia. Last year, Fresh Start bought Santa Ana-based Sweet Life, a cookie supplier for McDonald's.

Customers: 17 plants, including the one in Ontario, are dedicated to making buns and muffins for McDonald's. The company also supplies other fast-food chains and grocery stores such as Costco, Smart & Final and Stater Bros.

Finances: Annual sales at the private firm exceed more than $500 million. McDonald's accounts for about 50 percent of Fresh Start's global revenue, down from 90 percent five years ago.

Source: Fresh Start Bakeries
Food facts and milestones
McDonald's beef is 100% USDA-inspected beef with no fillers, additives or extenders

In 1987, McDonald's introduced fresh-tossed salads.

In 2003, the chain started using �all-white� chicken for Chicken McNuggets. Previously the meat was �blended� or a grounded mix of dark and white meats.

In 2006, McDonald's became an industry leader when it added nutrition information on packaging.

McDonald's food comes from certified suppliers who are audited and inspected on a regular basis. Besides Fresh Start Bakeries in Brea, key McDonald's suppliers in the U.S. include Dannon, Kraft, Nestl�, Tyson, Newman's Own and Irvine-based Golden State Foods.

Food served in restaurants goes through more than 2,000 safety, quality and inspection checks. Bakeries, for example, must run bread products through a metal detector.

For its Fruit & Walnut Salad and Apple Dippers, McDonald's uses four kinds of apples that are available year-round and that meet quality standards: Granny Smith, Gala, Jonagold and Empire apples.
More from Life
•Decorate a pumpkin by not carving it
•Lawyer joins spill challenge
•McDonald's McRib to get national spotlightI felt like I'd entered grandma's house as she pulled a hot loaf of bread from the oven.
Later, as I witnessed hundreds of Big Mac buns whizzing past me on a conveyor belt, it was clear that I was visiting someplace much more complicated — and more fascinating — than granny's kitchen.
The plant, run by Brea-based Fresh Start Bakeries, cranks out 14.4 million buns per week for fast-food chains and supermarkets in Southern California.
Its most important client: McDonald's.
The companies have been partners since 1964 — a time when Ray Kroc made handshake deals with suppliers as he vigorously pursued building a burger empire. Today, Fresh Start has 17 bakeries across the globe dedicated to making buns for the world's most famous burger brand.
McDonald's invited me and a couple of nutritionists to tour Fresh Start's $22 million, state-of-the-art plant in Ontario recently as part of a special "quality assurance" program.
The idea: by viewing how its suppliers operate, McDonald's can send a message that the chain is serious about food safety and quality.
"Quality is certainly a top priority at McDonald's," said Todd Bacon, head of the chain's U.S. Supply Chain Management.
Bacon, who holds a doctorate in "meat science," discussed the strict controls and guidelines McDonald's places on vendors and suppliers. Rules apply for just about any kind of scenario along the food chain — from how to treat a sick broiler chicken to requiring hot buns to pass through metal detectors.
Any supplier that goofs is out.
That's it. No second chances.
"There's too much at stake for us not to do everything we can," Bacon said of McDonald's pursuit of food safety and quality.
I was not allowed to bring a staff photographer to document the tour. The reason? Something about revealing "trade or proprietary" secrets. However, I did manage to get approval to snap a few photos with my point-and-shoot camera during the hour-long tour, led by veteran plant manager Bob Mitchell.
"Baker Bob," as he's affectionately called, put on a great show for us.
We saw giant blobs of dough whirling through stainless steel kneading machines. We held delicate dough balls drizzled with corn meal that would eventually become steaming hot English muffins. And we got a peek at how the basic dough is made for any McDonald's bun. (Sorry, exact recipes were not revealed.)The most stunning detail of the plant: very little human handling of product. I saw only a handful of workers in the entire 150,000-square-foot bakery, which also makes buns for Costco, Smart & Finaland Stater Bros.
When Fresh Start moved the facility to Ontario from the City of Industry in 2007, the company added state-of-the-art computer equipment to automate nearly every part of the baking process.
Overall, it was an eye-opening experience. I learned some fun factoids, including the answer to this question: How many seeds are on top of a sesame-seed bun?
To get the answer, take a look at the slide show.
Part 2: The lettuce fields of Salinas
Contact the writer: nluna@ocregister.com or 714-796-6756. Checkout my fast food blog at ocregister.com/fastfood

This article tells nothing about whether they include PHVO into their bread or not. So how have you answered my question with this?

SUCKMYMUSCLE