Author Topic: Hollywood set to ruin Akira  (Read 1951 times)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Hollywood set to ruin Akira
« on: October 20, 2011, 05:29:31 PM »
Warner Bros. Greenlights AKIRA Remake for February 2012 Start; Jaume Collet-Serra to Direct and Garrett Hedlund Might Star
by Brendan Bettinger    Posted:October 19th, 2011 at 7:28 pm

If you’ve been keeping tabs on the development of the Akira remake over the past couple years, you know it has been a long and bumpy road up to this point.  Warner Bros. has always remained committed to the property, though.  According to Variety, the studio has finally made it official with a greenlight for a $90 million budget and an eye toward a late February/early March start date.  The report confirms that Jaume Collett-Serra (Unknown) will direct, and provides this synopsis for the Steve Kloves script:

Set in New Manhattan, the cyberpunk sci-fi epic follows the leader of a biker gang who must save his friend, discovered with potentially destructive psychokinetic abilities, from government medical experiments.

Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson Killoran are producing for Appian Way alongside Andrew Lazar, representing Mad Chance.  Katsuhiro Otomo, the man behind the Akira manga and the writer/director of the 1988 anime adaptation, will executive produce the remake.  More after the jump.  [Update: ...including a comment on the news that Tron: Legacy star Garrett Hedlund's is the frontrunner for one of the lead roles.]

If Warner Bros. wants to get this in front of cameras by the spring they still need to, you know, cast this thing.  The studio was long in search of a big name or two—Brad Pitt, James Franco, Zac Efron, and Keanu Reeves were among the many rumored candidates—but has so far come up empty.  My gut says we hear a casting announcement in the next week or so.  Unfortunately, my gut also says that no casting announcement can possibly overcome our general unease at the idea of a Akira remake transplanted to “New Manhattan,” written in such a way that Keanu Reeves could have starred.

[Update: After I hit "Publish," Variety updated the report with the news that Hedlund is a frontrunner for one of the two lead roles.  No offer has been made yet, but WB and Collett-Serra are reportedly keen on the young actor.  Variety doesn't specify, but Hedlund was previously linked to the role of Kaneda in a shortlist.  In case this means that shortlist is credible, here's the list of actors identified for Tetsuo: Robert Pattinson, Andrew Garfield, James McAvoy.

So, is your unease settled?  Mine isn't, and I liked Hedlund in Tron: Legacy more than most of our readers.  Let's wait until the news is official, and see who they cast as Tetsuo.  But man, this is going to be a tough sell to film geeks (the hypothetical Hedlundization) and general audiences (the uniquely Japanese weirdness).]

Here’s the synopsis for Volume 1 of the manga:

Akira is set in the post-apocalypse Neo-Tokyo of 2019, a vast metropolis built on the ashes of a Tokyo annihilated by an apocalyptic blast of unknown power that triggered World War III. The lives of two streetwise teenage friends, Tetsuo and Kaneda, change forever when dormant paranormal abilities begin to waken in Tetsuo, who becomes a target for a shadowy government operation, a group who will stop at nothing to prevent another catastrophe like that which leveled Tokyo. And at the core of their motivation is a raw, all-consuming fear: a fear of someone — or something — of unthinkably monstrous power known only as… Akira. And Akira is about to rise! [Amazon]

http://collider.com/warner-bros-akira-remake-production/121501/

What a travesty. Some movies just shouldn't be touched. Especially when they intend to completely bastardize the original. Neo-Manhattan? Please.  ::)

On the plus side, I had no idea this was released in Blu-Ray. Definitely need to get my hands on that.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
Re: Hollywood set to ruin Akira
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 02:25:25 AM »
 ::) ::) ::) ::)

I will get the blu-ray soon, it's fucking expensive here in japan, 8000 Yen.  :-X :-X

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 07:17:15 PM »
A live action updated Akira, could be really good if done very carefully!

BUT I have a feeling this will not be the case here :(

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 07:24:03 PM »
A live action updated Akira, could be really good if done very carefully!

BUT I have a feeling this will not be the case here :(

I totally disagree.

AKIRA lives from the great animation, you cannot reproduce this in live action IMO, also changing the setting to New York is utter bullshit, it's a horrible idea.

AKIRA lives and takes a GREAT deal of its impact from the historical background of two atomic bombs dropping on Japan, and another "nuclear" explosion leading to WW3, the fear of another war in the post-apocalyptic Tokyo is everywhere.

Tokyo has a whole different atmosphere than NY, it is a totally different symbol, i can't see how this would work.

On a side note, if you haven't read the comic book AKIRA yet, get it now, it's one of the best comic books ever written, you can only understand the movie 100% if you have read the comic book.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 02:34:38 PM »
Akira is a work of art - these filthy girls should film their moms.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 11:44:01 PM »
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=49418

Warner Bros. Looking At Two For The Role Of Tetsuo Oppossite Garrett Hedlund's Kaneda In Akira
Actors Ezra Miller (We Need To Talk About Kevin) and Alden Eherenreich (Tetro) are the front-runners to portray Tetsuo in Akira.

Source: THR
Don't stone me for saying this but the talent assembling for Akira is shaping up to be something pretty grand. THR reports that Warner Bros.' adaption of the beloved Japanese anime Akira has narrowed it's search down to two for the role of Tetsuo. In many ways, Tetsuo is the most important role in the movie and could potentially make or break the film. Looking to take on that pressure are actors Ezra Miller (bottom left) and Alden Eherenreich. Variety's Jeff Sneider is reporting that Ezra Miller is the one to put your money on. Many film critics are starting to generate Oscar buzz for Miller for his portrayal of the titular character in We Need To Talk About Kevin. He will next be seen opposite Logan Lerman and Emma Watson in the “The Perks of Being a Wallflower.”

Both actors will read for the role next Tuesday so we could hear something as soon as next week.

Lets see, that's:
-Appian Way's Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson producing
-Katsuhiro Otomo, the manga author and anime director serving as Executive Producer
-Jaume Collet-Serra (Unknown and Orphan) directing
-Steve Kloves, screenwriter for Harry Potter franchise and The Amazing Spider-Man wrote the latest draft
-Garrett Hedlund is in talks to portray Kaneda, Helena Bonham Carter was offered the role of Lady Miyako, Keira Knightley has been approached for the role of Kei and Gary Oldman the same for The Colonel.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!