Author Topic: Hertz fires 25 Muslim drivers in break dispute  (Read 2841 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Hertz fires 25 Muslim drivers in break dispute
« on: October 21, 2011, 05:34:15 AM »
SEATTLE (AP) — Hertz is firing 25 Somali Muslim drivers at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport who have refused to agree to clock out for daily breaks during which they normally pray.

The workers drive the company's rental cars to and from the airport for cleaning and refueling. They are among 34 Hertz employees suspended Sept. 30 for failing to clock out before breaks.

The Seattle Times reports that Hertz says nine of the 34 signed the agreement and have returned to their jobs.

Hertz spokesman Rich Broome says the company made it clear the workers needed to agree to the clock-out conditions by the end of the day Thursday if they wanted to be reinstated. The newspaper says termination letters have been sent to the 25.

The company has said some workers were taking longer than the 10 minutes allowed.

Observant Muslims pray several times a day.

http://news.yahoo.com/hertz-fires-25-muslim-drivers-break-dispute-062343039.html

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: Hertz fires 25 Muslim drivers in break dispute
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 05:40:19 AM »
Religion of peas    ::)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 07:58:05 AM »
If I ever have the need to rent a car, Hertz will get my business for this.  Awesome!

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 09:18:52 AM »
If I ever have the need to rent a car, Hertz will get my business for this.  Awesome!

In addition to firing them, Hertz should have hired some goons to come down to the location and physically assault the Muslims who were on break.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 02:21:08 PM »
Its only fair to clock out , I mean even Alah wouldn't like it if your reaping the benefits of pay while praying :-\

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 10:10:39 AM »
Guess it's back to sniffing their own socks for them.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 10:48:06 AM »
In addition to firing them, Hertz should have hired some goons to come down to the location and physically assault the Muslims who were on break.

That would truly be a heartwarming gesture...

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 11:26:54 PM »
They are among 34 Hertz employees suspended Sept. 30 for failing to clock out before breaks.

This isnt a racist thing, although the Muslims would like that.  It is a simple procedure that you MUST clock out before you take a break.

In California, there have been companies that have been sued because they could not provide proof that the employee had their 10 minute break twice a day.  True story, I have seen it.   

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 03:30:47 AM »
This isnt a racist thing, although the Muslims would like that.  It is a simple procedure that you MUST clock out before you take a break.

In California, there have been companies that have been sued because they could not provide proof that the employee had their 10 minute break twice a day.  True story, I have seen it.   

Of course it's not racist because Muslims aren't a race, sheesh sometimes I wonder about you...

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 05:19:05 AM »
Of course it's not racist because Muslims aren't a race, sheesh sometimes I wonder about you...
Cmon now, don't play dumb the majority of Muslims are Arabs first of all, and the thread spacifically  stated 25 somalians, so I would say having clarification of not having a racial agenda in this case is appropriate, and yes Islam is NOT a race

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 10:33:48 AM »

Are they even part of the human species?

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 11:02:56 PM »
Cmon now, don't play dumb the majority of Muslims are Arabs first of all, and the thread spacifically  stated 25 somalians, so I would say having clarification of not having a racial agenda in this case is appropriate, and yes Islam is NOT a race

Not quite.  62% of Muslims live in Asia, Indonesia alone holds 600+ million Muslims  (12.9% of the worlds Muslim population) while Arab countries have about 20%.

The point was falsely classifying Muslims as a race, nothing more.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 02:55:19 PM »
Not quite.  62% of Muslims live in Asia, Indonesia alone holds 600+ million Muslims  (12.9% of the worlds Muslim population) while Arab countries have about 20%.

Indonesia does have the largest muslim population but it's closer to 200 million, where did you get the 600+ million from?

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 03:20:49 PM »

It's not that simple to classify the way you did cause Arab nations have almost all Arabs, where Arabs live everywhere including indonesia. So the 62% of Muslims that live in Asia include a lot of Arabs. I understand trying to be politacally correct, but most people relate the term Muslim to specific group of people originateing to a very particular area in the world. The term race has been high jacked to pertaining to certain country instead of a certain group of people with the same ancesters, ie,...90% or more of Muslims are Hamitic when the only Semetic race that comes to mind that are Muslims are Palestinans. Anyway technically you are right falsely classifying Muslims as a race but the terms are closely related so what's the big deal :-\

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 06:46:21 PM »

racist post reported.
follow the arrows