Author Topic: Physics question  (Read 3272 times)

berblexer

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
Physics question
« on: October 24, 2011, 10:20:30 PM »
Lets say you had a room with a high temperature.

You also have a device that can convert heat from the room into electricity.

And lastly an airconditioning unit that cools the room down which is powered by the device that generates electricity from the heat.

What would happen in such scenario?
Team Pat Banana

Nomad

• Getbig IV
Re: Physics question
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 10:21:38 PM »
Won't work, 2nd law of thermodynamics.
all drugs - TPPIIP

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 11:11:25 PM »
I like this kind of stuff, but I'm too dumb to know it well (outside of my basic understanding of Quatum Mechanics) so I had to search for and paste the followig :

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that "in all energy exchanges, if no energy enters or leaves the system, the potential energy of the state will always be less than that of the initial state." This is also commonly referred to as entropy. A watchspring-driven watch will run until the potential energy in the spring is converted, and not again until energy is reapplied to the spring to rewind it. A car that has run out of gas will not run again until you walk 10 miles to a gas station and refuel the car. Once the potential energy locked in carbohydrates is converted into kinetic energy (energy in use or motion), the organism will get no more until energy is input again. In the process of energy transfer, some energy will dissipate as heat. Entropy is a measure of disorder: cells are NOT disordered and so have low entropy. The flow of energy maintains order and life. Entropy wins when organisms cease to take in energy and die.

And now I'm too darn tired to read t and offer an intelligent comment.

Can it wait until tomorrow?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 11:15:42 PM »
When the room cools down there is no more heat to generate the electricity.

Or should I stick with QM?

suckmymuscle

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 11:44:02 PM »

And lastly an airconditioning unit that cools the room down which is powered by the device that generates electricity from the heat.

There is no such thing as a device that converts heat from the air into electricity. But assuing there was the heat would exhaust itself after a while and the air in the room would be completely cold. Then, the air temperature inside the room would achieve homoestasis with the temperature outside the room following that since there is no longer any energy to either heat or cool the air.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

chess315

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 11:58:31 PM »
dont you realsie you need fossile fuel to power anything unless you want an ugly windmill outside your local walmart.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 12:54:22 AM »
 There is no such thing as a device that converts heat from the air into electricity. But assuing there was the heat would exhaust itself after a while and the air in the room would be completely cold. Then, the air temperature inside the room would achieve homoestasis with the temperature outside the room following that since there is no longer any energy to either heat or cool the air.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

It's the flow of energy from where there is a higher concentration of energy (steam boiler), to where there is a lesser concentration (cooling tower) that generates the electricity.  The greater the difference in concentration (temperatures) the greater the flow that can be harnessed.
In this thought experiment, we have an imaginary machine that can generate electricity on the very small temperature gradient (difference) between the inside of the room and the outdoors.  The air conditioner would have the same effect of a hole in a bucket of water, it would divert energy from flowing through the generator to the outside.  Assuming there is no further filling of the heat reservoir, the airconditioner would pump out the heat and shorten the time that the system would operate.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 02:22:28 AM »
It's the flow of energy from where there is a higher concentration of energy (steam boiler), to where there is a lesser concentration (cooling tower) that generates the electricity.  The greater the difference in concentration (temperatures) the greater the flow that can be harnessed.
In this thought experiment, we have an imaginary machine that can generate electricity on the very small temperature gradient (difference) between the inside of the room and the outdoors.  The air conditioner would have the same effect of a hole in a bucket of water, it would divert energy from flowing through the generator to the outside.  Assuming there is no further filling of the heat reservoir, the airconditioner would pump out the heat and shorten the time that the system would operate.

No, here is how this problem is solved. There are two possibilities. If we are talking how an air conditioner works, it pulls air from outside to the room. in this case, the heat from the air would generate electricity, which the air conditioner would use to pull air from outside, then cool it, then throw it inside the room where it would displace the natural temperatured air that was there - no longer hot because it's heat was removed to produce electricity. Conversely, if you assume that the air involved is only the air in the room, then the problem is more tricky but the solution is the same. The air cools down from the heat being converted into electricity, and this energy can be used to either heat the air again or to cool it down. The conservation of energy is not violated here because the process of removing the heat from the air to convert it into electricity also has a cooling effect. Once the energy is turned into eletricity, it makes no difference where it came from but what it can do. Therefore, the second law of thermodynamics is not violated here. The problem is deeply flawed in that it ignores how air conditioners work. Since it removes air from outside, the air would be cooled by the energy generated by the electricity from the heat of the air inside the room, and then it would displace that air. As stated, the problem is trickier but also easily solved. It is a simple logical problem.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 02:31:47 AM »

General Physics?  This part is still in theory phase.  I'm assuming you got the excess heat from cell phns, laptops and cars, in which the heat could double the life of their batteries.   Don't know about capturing it and using for another device.  Check MIT for your question.  That's their thing at the moment.

CigaretteMan

• Getbig III
  • Yum, yum, give me some!
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 02:46:13 AM »
 No, here is how this problem is solved. There are two possibilities. If we are talking how an air conditioner works, it pulls air from outside to the room. in this case, the heat from the air would generate electricity, which the air conditioner would use to pull air from outside, then cool it, then throw it inside the room where it would displace the natural temperatured air that was there - no longer hot because it's heat was removed to produce electricity. Conversely, if you assume that the air involved is only the air in the room, then the problem is more tricky but the solution is the same. The air cools down from the heat being converted into electricity, and this energy can be used to either heat the air again or to cool it down. The conservation of energy is not violated here because the process of removing the heat from the air to convert it into electricity also has a cooling effect. Once the energy is turned into eletricity, it makes no difference where it came from but what it can do. Therefore, the second law of thermodynamics is not violated here. The problem is deeply flawed in that it ignores how air conditioners work. Since it removes air from outside, the air would be cooled by the energy generated by the electricity from the heat of the air inside the room, and then it would displace that air. As stated, the problem is trickier but also easily solved. It is a simple logical problem.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

....you are indeed correct....I first thought your answer was wrong but then you explained step by step and now I see it is 100% correct,,,,....you keep amazing me...who da hell are ya ??? ???

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 02:50:56 AM »

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 03:08:38 AM »
Air conditioning works by removing the heat from the air, this is the heat you feel from the condensor of the air conditioner...There doesn't have to be any air exchange with the outside...The net effect is the same as a pump removing the water from a bucket...but there is no removal of the air from the room,...what is removed is the heat content,...or to use the arcane name, "calorific fluid."

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 03:12:28 AM »
 ....you are indeed correct....I first thought your answer was wrong but then you explained step by step and now I see it is 100% correct,,,,....you keep amazing me...who da hell are ya ??? ???

google researcher.  the info to your question is as simple as a google click

google even gave all getbiggers a second lang

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 07:37:57 AM »

For fucks sakes.  It takes a man to answer this.

Let's say the room is at 100 degrees and the AC is set to stop at 70 degrees.  Let's assume the room is not insulated and cannot maintain a steady temperature and that the outside temp is 110 arizona heat. Also assume that all thermodynamic laws are flawed and incorrect.

The heat will start being converted into energy, the AC will kick in, it will start cooling down the room.  Somewhere in the middle once the temp reaches 85 degrees  will the energy start becoming less and less and the AC will slow down and eventually stop, the room will start to warm up again as the cold air escapes and the ambient heat begins coming into the room, the energy will increase, the AC will kick in and the whole cycle will start over again.

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 07:43:10 AM »
There is a bus with 7 children inside. Each child has 7 bags. Inside each bag there are 7 big cats. How many pills have I taken?

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 07:47:53 AM »
There is a bus with 7 children inside. Each child has 7 bags. Inside each bag there are 7 big cats. How many pills have I taken?

too many