Author Topic: In the gym tonight.....  (Read 3931 times)

kevcat

• Getbig IV
In the gym tonight.....
« on: October 26, 2011, 02:43:39 PM »
So im doing my final set of barbell shrugs and notice this guy watching me.I go all out with a pretty heavy weight and when i finish and am barely breathing he tells me im not doing the exercise correctly.
Now not to brag but im probably the strongest guy in this gym ( its a university place where mostly skinny dudes 'hang out' , hardly any serious trainers ), and this guy is chubby and doesnt look like he even breaks sweat when hes there.I also know what he was benching at the time i was , i warm up with.So i was kinda speechless that this guy would have the balls to tell someone who obviously works out harder than them , how to do an exercise.I just kinda looked at him and smirked, then got on with the next set.

So anyone ever encounter shit like this?

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: In the gym tonight.....
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 02:50:18 PM »
maybe your form really wasn't the best you know?

Siimply

• Getbig II
  • You know I'm a dreamer but my heart's of gold
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 02:53:18 PM »
Yeah, I was doing barbell curls with a close grip and one old guy told me I was doing the exercice wrong and that I should always use a wider grip because I was going to have an injury in the future... Well I saw him doing benchpress targetting just one pec, pushing and inclining the bar to one side of his pectoral

berblexer

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 02:53:47 PM »
a real getbigger would have given him a nice beatdown
Team Pat Banana

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 02:54:01 PM »
you reacted just fine but your  meltdown post gym was catastrophic
A

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 03:08:07 PM »
Form was fine dude, thats 1 thing i never do is swing weights about.Ive too many injuries from doin that shit in the past!

Siimply

• Getbig II
  • You know I'm a dreamer but my heart's of gold
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 03:09:51 PM »
You should talk to him about it politely if next time he gives you a remark again kevcat. Or you could ignore him

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 03:11:39 PM »
Should of immediately ripped off your pants and challenged him to a posedown. The tried and true getbig way.

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
Should of immediately ripped off your pants and challenged him to a posedown. The tried and true getbig way.
Smacked him in the face with a soiled nasser thong and said  "By the thong of nasser - I challenge you to a posedown!"

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 03:21:16 PM »
PMSL im sure there woulda been no challenge.I nearly asked him to lift the bar and show me how its done but i couldnt be fucked debating with anyone.
The reason its kinda random thread is cos ive always lifted in ma friends garage with only free weights and a bench/squat/dip rack and a chinup bar.Just started goin to a gym for some different machines.
Definetly prefer free weights and not having idiots watch my sets.I swear most of them must be gay  :-X

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 03:42:12 PM »
he sounds like a fat out of shape Personal Trainer, reads all the books but never looks the part.
K

badlad

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 03:50:56 PM »
Take it as a compliment...he took time out of his busy schedule to comment. Wasn't it Wilde who said there is only one thing worse than being talked about and that is not being talked about

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 03:52:07 PM »
you reacted just fine but your  meltdown post gym was catastrophic

lol
b

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 03:59:01 PM »

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 04:36:05 PM »
So im doing my final set of barbell shrugs and notice this guy watching me.I go all out with a pretty heavy weight and when i finish and am barely breathing he tells me im not doing the exercise correctly.
Now not to brag but im probably the strongest guy in this gym ( its a university place where mostly skinny dudes 'hang out' , hardly any serious trainers ), and this guy is chubby and doesnt look like he even breaks sweat when hes there.I also know what he was benching at the time i was , i warm up with.So i was kinda speechless that this guy would have the balls to tell someone who obviously works out harder than them , how to do an exercise.I just kinda looked at him and smirked, then got on with the next set.

So anyone ever encounter shit like this?

You should have responded,  "hahahahahahaha  Oh, brother...your the kind of "guy" who buys an Ab Rocker for $7 at a yard sale, then spends twice that much at Wendy's and wonders why he still has to shop in the husky section at Wal-Mart...gayer than not slapping your wife when she expresses an unsolicited opinion."
~

tlc

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 04:44:02 PM »
"Fuck off."

Or, "Fuck off, you fat cunt."

Or, "When I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you. You fat cunt."

...Depending on how much breath you're willing to waste.

How can you do shrugs incorrectly anyway ???

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 11:39:21 PM »
You gassed doing shrugs? lol

alejandro_torres

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 11:51:26 PM »
happened to me once, and a few days later, the same dude was struggling while bench pressing, and I just stood in front of him and watched how bad he was doing. I think, he saw me and thought I was going to help him get the weight up, but I didnt, so he had to lower  it all the way  down to his chest, and I just laughed and left :)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 11:57:51 PM »
If someone has the nuts to come and correct your form (or whatever) in the gym...

You must NOT look the part. That's all I can think of.

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 01:39:18 PM »
The advice was that my right arm was apparently pulling more than my left arm with the bar lol i mean WTF, it 'felt' fine to me, oh well....

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 01:48:04 PM »
Two viciously rapid headbutts to the bridge of the nose would have silenced this armchair critic for good!!

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 01:51:03 PM »
Leave the bar loaded just like it was during your final set, gesture towards the bar and say, "Please demonstrate, I always like to learn something new, thank you."
a

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 02:57:01 AM »
Leave the bar loaded just like it was during your final set, gesture towards the bar and say, "Please demonstrate, I always like to learn something new, thank you."

LOL hes pretty much there everytime i go, and ive only ever seen him bench half reps with 135 and then violently swing alternating dumbell curls.He probably doesnt even know what shrugs are, and thinks im not hardcore since im not benching  ::)

Definetly next time im guna ask him to give it a shot after im done.I guarantee he probably cant lift it off the floor , which is the only way i can do them , as no racks in the shitty place

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 03:00:38 AM »
You gassed doing shrugs? lol

Not so much gassed smartass, more like takin the set to failure and my head almost exploding in the process.You know thats what usually happens when you lift heavy, you should try it 'coach' ;)

Steve Namat

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • IFBB PRO www.stevenamat.com
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 03:09:11 AM »
I think it doesn't matter how somebody trains as long as:

-his goal is getting big, and he's big
-his goal is to look great, and he looks great
-his goal is being strong, and he's strong

Just my two cents.