Author Topic: Steroids Heart Study  (Read 6070 times)

Nomad

• Getbig IV
Re: AAS Heart Study
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 12:48:46 PM »
I decided to download 140 odd studies, after reading them I have come to the conclusion that steroids clearly have no effect on the heart, however there is risk that one could lose striations on the heart, which for any true bodybuilder I imagine is a scary thought. I thought I would post a few up here.

If anyone wants me to post the other 130 studies, please let me know.

Nice, surprised someone on getbig has the patience and capability to read that much. Uh, did any of the studies try to differentiate inbetween lifting only AAS users and AAS users who lift as well as do cardiovascular training?
all drugs - TPPIIP

Lord Chronos

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 01:32:31 AM »
Nice, surprised someone on getbig has the patience and capability to read that much. Uh, did any of the studies try to differentiate inbetween lifting only AAS users and AAS users who lift as well as do cardiovascular training?

Well not quite, but they had studies where they were observing the way the heart performed in trainers who were engaged in cardivascular exercise that used steroids. One study was specifically trying to understand instant sudden death syndrome which apparently tends to feature highly with AAS users.
Amonst the group while observing the subjects, one had a near fatal heart attack that went completely unoticed by the actual subject while he was training.
The other studies showed that AAS users who had engaged in high intensity cardio were actually at their highest risk of sudden instant death syndrome post cardio session.

However they didnt give too much info on the prior cardio vascular training of the subjects, although one was listed as engaging in regular cardio as part of his pre-contest routine.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
Re: Steroids Heart Study
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 01:39:02 AM »

notsureifsrs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 02:09:59 AM »
    There are other issues besides steroids involved though how heavy where these powerlifter a 250lb man having 7% more of a mortality rating then the general population would be no suprise drug or no drugs.   Also steroid users tend to abuse recreational drugs more then the general population. I mean smokers are more likely to be killed my drunk drivers and shot but it has nothing to do with smoking.

In another note here some good article about the positive effects of test on the heart (ofc it's not meant for abusers tho)
http://juicedmuscle.com/jmblog/content/positive-effects-testosterone-heart

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 03:22:34 AM »
I would imagine just carrying so much muscle mass and just being so big has to be an additional strain on the heart. The human body does not like carrying muscle and gets rid of it if given the slightest reason. Your body wants the minimum amount of muscle necessary to do whatever demands is made on it. There's an inherent metabolic cost to muscle. Even when inactive or asleep muscles still require blood supply and nutrients. That's why your body puts a limit on how much it can carry naturally. Not so with fat. From your body's perspective fat is stored energy which requires a trivial amount of metabolic support which it likes and has a virtually unlimited capacity to store fat. 

The human body was not meant to carry so much muscle such as with a Mr. Olympia. I would imagine that Jay Cutler at 5'9" could conceivable walk around at 185 lbs at 6% if he never took drugs and peptides. That would mean that for most of the year his heart has to support an additional 100 lbs of muscle mass. That can't be good.

When the mystatin gene was suppressed in mice they grew very muscular but it also reduced their life span. There is no gene that limits the amount of fat you can carry. That should tell you something about your body's perspective on muscle tissue.

Lord Chronos

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2011, 04:08:40 AM »
I would imagine just carrying so much muscle mass and just being so big has to be an additional strain on the heart. The human body does not like carrying muscle and gets rid of it if given the slightest reason. Your body wants the minimum amount of muscle necessary to do whatever demands is made on it. There's an inherent metabolic cost to muscle. Even when inactive or asleep muscles still require blood supply and nutrients. That's why your body puts a limit on how much it can carry naturally. Not so with fat. From your body's perspective fat is stored energy which requires a trivial amount of metabolic support which it likes and has a virtually unlimited capacity to store fat.  

The human body was not meant to carry so much muscle such as with a Mr. Olympia. I would imagine that Jay Cutler at 5'9" could conceivable walk around at 185 lbs at 6% if he never took drugs and peptides. That would mean that for most of the year his heart has to support an additional 100 lbs of muscle mass. That can't be good.

When the mystatin gene was suppressed in mice they grew very muscular but it also reduced their life span. There is no gene that limits the amount of fat you can carry. That should tell you something about your body's perspective on muscle tissue.

Good summary, I saw on another study unrelated to AAS, that people who are within 10% or less of their weight when they were in their early twenties are at the lowest risk of mortality.

However this was assuming that they were normal weight and not obese during their early twenties or a 285 lbs bodybuilder :)

gh2

• Getbig II
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2011, 07:02:14 AM »
What a lovely "healthy" hobby we have. AAS = bad for the heart if it's more than HRT. A lot of muscle mass = bad for the heart. Being a fat ass = not good but not as bad as having a lot of muscle. Makes you wanna lose some weight... :-X