Author Topic: 10 yrs Post WCW Purchase  (Read 5656 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
10 yrs Post WCW Purchase
« on: October 29, 2011, 04:17:12 AM »
Was thinking about this recently. Was this really worth it? In Vince's eyes $5 Mil to knock off the competition...sure but....

Ok so Vince knocked off the competition but did anyone good come from the acquistion? Booker T?? DDP??

IMO wrestling has suffered, writing is not as sharp...heck no competition (and dont say TNA)

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
Re: 10 yrs Post WCW Purchase
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 04:19:29 AM »
Was thinking about this recently. Was this really worth it?

Ok so Vince knocked off the competition but did anyone good come from the acquistion? Booker T?? DDP??

IMO wrestling has suffered, writing is not as sharp...heck no competition (and dont say TNA)
TBH I haven't watched wrestling in years and tried to watch recently. I found it painful to watch. It was bland and annoying.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 06:27:15 AM »
I agree that Vince was better when he had “competition,” but I don’t know if we can attribute that to his competition, or if it was mere coincidence.

Don’t forget that the old man was running against NWA and AWA during the “Lex-Express” days - WWF’s bleakest fiscal years.
Vince knows what works & what he needs to do.
But, as in the wake of the steroid trial and sex scandals of the early 90’s, his hands may still be tied insofar as how hard he can push the envelope.

I think that most of the dust has finally settled from the Benoit tragedy, but Linda may run for political office again, which will probably translate to more watered-down product for fans.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 02:30:51 PM »
With VKM's ego, I sure it was money well spent in his mind to stroke that ego. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 08:15:07 PM »
With VKM's ego, I sure it was money well spent in his mind to stroke that ego. 

$5 million to him is very different than it is (would be) to us.
Relatively speaking, Vince making a purchase in that amount may equate to me buying a used car.

And, in addition to the sale being one big write-off for him, the money he made back with the acquisition of WCW's video library, etc. means the investment paid for itself very quickly!
He couldn't lose on that deal.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 06:20:02 AM »
He won and he won big on that. I wish I could have had the opportunity to buy WCW. Timmy would have done it in a heart beat.

I think, too, that when you buy a company like that, you also incur that company's debts; I know that was the case with ECW.
I'm not sure what those debts were, but you may be able to find out since WWE is a publicly traded company - I can't remember the exact date that happened.
Also, Vince had to continue paying out the remainder of contracts for guys he didn't re-sign like Shane Douglas, who was only 7 months into a three-year $1.9 million deal.

That all adds up, but if the "McMahon Clan" can blow $80+ million on a political campaign, lose, then run again...I'm sure he still turned a hefty profit with the WCW buyout.

joseywaleshhh

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 09:44:11 AM »
I'm reading "The death of WCW" right now. I can't put it down. Bringing back a lot of memories.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 03:37:11 PM »
Was thinking about this recently. Was this really worth it? In Vince's eyes $5 Mil to knock off the competition...sure but....

He didn't buy it for financial reasons...he bought it for personal reasons as a sort of trophy...much like ECW.
A

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 05:05:10 AM »

He didn't buy it for financial reasons...he bought it for personal reasons as a sort of trophy...much like ECW.

Exactly. Vince seems quite a perverted man in that he would acquire the champions of other companies and relegate them to obscurity for his own amusement. The company acquisitions were a personal mission to stamp the foot of authority and prove once and for all who the daddy of the playground was.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 07:27:50 AM »

I think, too, that when you buy a company like that, you also incur that company's debts; I know that was the case with ECW.
I'm not sure what those debts were, but you may be able to find out since WWE is a publicly traded company - I can't remember the exact date that happened.
Also, Vince had to continue paying out the remainder of contracts for guys he didn't re-sign like Shane Douglas, who was only 7 months into a three-year $1.9 million deal.

That all adds up, but if the "McMahon Clan" can blow $80+ million on a political campaign, lose, then run again...I'm sure he still turned a hefty profit with the WCW buyout.

I thought Time Warner still had to pay those contracts. That's why WWE didn't get Goldberg until right after WrestleMania 19. Vince didn't want to buy out Goldberg's contract to get him sooner.

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 04:26:10 PM »
yeah he bought it,but should have kept it running,he would have still owned it,or should have just gave it to shane,wrestling hasnt been the same since.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 05:06:27 AM »
yeah he bought it,but should have kept it running,he would have still owned it,or should have just gave it to shane,wrestling hasnt been the same since.

His ego would never have allowed it.
I'd always wished he kept ECW going in much the same way; letting Heyman run it.

Paul E. had fabulous ideas (that put ECW on the map), but a lousy business sense when it came to money.
No financial acumen, whatsoever.

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 10:25:50 AM »
but he did let biscoff into the wwe later,and i think they even tried a couple storylines about the n.w.o. coming back and bringin the wcw back,problem is with all the storylines nowadays,they end the storyline before there is even a chance of it catching on.thats why the mon.nite wars worked it was real.and went on for two or three years.