Author Topic: Cain did not sign settlement, accuser's lawyer says  (Read 1833 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Cain did not sign settlement, accuser's lawyer says
« on: November 04, 2011, 12:16:40 PM »
Well, so much for Bennett's claim that Cain broke the confidentiality clause (he didn't even have the legal agreement in his possession, when he made the charge).

Cain did not sign settlement, accuser's lawyer says

The settlement agreement between the National Restaurant Association and a woman who accused Herman Cain of sexual harassment was reached in September 1999--and was not signed by Cain himself, according to Joel Bennett, a lawyer for the woman.

Bennett, who has a copy of the settlement agreement, said four people signed it: the woman, two lawyers representing the association and Bennett himself.

Bennett said the agreement was resolved relatively quickly, about two or three months after she complained.

That means it may have been reached after Cain left the association, and Bennett said it's conceivable that Cain didn't even know about it.

Bennett also told CBS News Friday morning he is hoping to issue a public statement reaffirming the accuser's claim within hours, if the restaurant group agrees to ease the confidentiality agreement that was part of the deal.

Bennett plans to issue the statement in his name, not in his client's name. It will not identify her, nor will it detail specific events of sexual harassment or the amount of settlement.

"It will insist the complaints were in good faith, and she's going to stand by her complaints," Bennett told CBS News. "It's her response to Herman Cain's statements that the complaints are baseless."

Cain left the association June 30, 1999, according to the NRA. Under that timeline, Cain would have been gone when the settlement was reached--and may well have been gone when she filed the complaint.

Cain has insisted he only knew of one complaint, and says he knew of no legal settlements--only what he calls a severance agreement with one woman. This timeline could well bolster his claims.

When Cain ran to represent Georgia in the Senate four years later, he told his advisers there was one complaint against him at the Restaurant Association, and that it was "baseless." One former staffer on the Senate campaign told CBS News that he and other advisers in the campaign knew about that complaint and believed it was meritless, but thought it could crop up in possible opposition research.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57318500-503544/cain-did-not-sign-settlement-accusers-lawyer-says/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Cain did not sign settlement, accuser's lawyer says
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 12:26:17 PM »
So now the lawyer wants to issue the statement instead of the woman, and without revealing the woman's identity?   ::)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 12:30:46 PM »
Oh, it gets better. That fool, Lawrence O'Donnell, wanted to sic the "Occupy Wall Street" dreck on the officials of NRA, putting pictures of them onscreen.

This apparently was to bully them, because they are "protecting the secrets of Herman Cain".

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/11/04/msnbcs_odonnell_calls_for_occupation_and_boycott_of_restaurant_association_exposes_pictures_of_groups_leadership.html

What a piece of GARBAGE!!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 12:34:51 PM »
So now the lawyer wants to issue the statement instead of the woman, and without revealing the woman's identity?   ::)

And, of course, without revealing "specific events of sexual harassment (WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS MESS!!) "or the amonut of the settlement" (WHICH WE ALREADY KNOW; it's $35,000).

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 12:50:38 PM »
hey but he's innocent he just lied about it all day to cover up his innocence  ::)  :D :D :D :D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 12:54:23 PM »
hey but he's innocent he just lied about it all day to cover up his innocence  ::)  :D :D :D :D

What did he lie about again? He said he didn't remember a settlement. This article states that Cain was likely GONE from NRA by the time this severance deal (what he, CNN and Politico referred to the $35K cash deal) went down.

But, don't take my word for it:

Bennett said the agreement was resolved relatively quickly, about two or three months after she complained.

That means it may have been reached after Cain left the association, and Bennett said it's conceivable that Cain didn't even know about it.

"Settlement" reached in September; Cain left in JUNE.

And, Cain wasn't even part of the deal.

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 12:55:33 PM »
This woman doesn't have to reveal her identity.  It's not a criminal proceeding, Cain has not right to face his accused.  

I don't blame her from not wanting news reporters at her house 24/7 during this, i'm sure it's traumatic enough with dealing with that.
Abandon every hope...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 12:57:38 PM »
Oh, it gets better. That fool, Lawrence O'Donnell, wanted to sic the "Occupy Wall Street" dreck on the officials of NRA, putting pictures of them onscreen.

This apparently was to bully them, because they are "protecting the secrets of Herman Cain".

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/11/04/msnbcs_odonnell_calls_for_occupation_and_boycott_of_restaurant_association_exposes_pictures_of_groups_leadership.html

I still can't believe O'Donnell has a TV show. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 01:01:27 PM »

Odennell is a disgusting pofs.   Not a word on Obama/Corzine   

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 01:02:59 PM »
This woman doesn't have to reveal her identity.  It's not a criminal proceeding, Cain has not right to face his accused.  

I don't blame her from not wanting news reporters at her house 24/7 during this, i'm sure it's traumatic enough with dealing with that.

And Cain is supposed to have his name, dragged through the mud by Politico and a lawyer? PLEASE!!!

All she has to do is tell them to cease and desist and this end. But, if she wants to besmirch Cain's character, have the guts to face Cain, not hide behind your lawyer's skirt.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 01:20:41 PM »
And Cain is supposed to have his name, dragged through the mud by Politico and a lawyer? PLEASE!!!

All she has to do is tell them to cease and desist and this end. But, if she wants to besmirch Cain's character, have the guts to face Cain, not hide behind your lawyer's skirt.

Bingo - funny to how the dopes like KC probably defended Clinton against Kathleen Willy, Paaula Jones, Jennifer flowers, lewinsky, etc.   

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 01:35:35 PM »
What did he lie about again? He said he didn't remember a settlement. This article states that Cain was likely GONE from NRA by the time this severance deal (what he, CNN and Politico referred to the $35K cash deal) went down.

But, don't take my word for it:

"Settlement" reached in September; Cain left in JUNE.

And, Cain wasn't even part of the deal.

problem is he said he remember it by the end of monday

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 02:11:34 PM »

Hey its politics and happens to both sides.
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 02:14:46 PM »
Hey its politics and happens to both sides.

Racist demos doing what they always do.   Get back in line slave!!!

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 02:18:10 PM »

Racist demos doing what they always do.   Get back in line slave!!!

haha why do you have to bring race into it? 

Guilt ridden RINO's gotta follow someone i guess. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 02:20:16 PM »
haha why do you have to bring race into it? 

Guilt ridden RINO's gotta follow someone i guess. 

Most people I know would vote for a serial killer over maobama. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 02:32:36 PM »

Most people I know would vote for a serial killer over maobama. 

Must be guilt ridden right?
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 02:33:51 PM »
Must be guilt ridden right?

no - just sick of the Keyan Neo-Marxist intent on collapsing the nation w his corrupt cronies.   

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 03:29:35 PM »
Thanks for showing your political ignorance.   :-*
Abandon every hope...

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 06:29:06 PM »
Now, it gets better.  NRA waived the confidentiality clause. But this woman still won't talk.

I wonder how crunchy O'Donnell is feeling right now?

Lawyer for Cain accuser says woman will not ‘relive’ incident

The National Restaurant Association released a statement Friday confirming that over a decade ago, a female employee filed a formal complaint of sexual harassment against then-association head Herman Cain. Cain disputed the allegations at the time, according to the trade group.

The association told the woman’s attorney it is willing to waive the confidentiality agreement signed by the parties involved — although not by Cain himself — but her lawyer, Joel P. Bennett, said in his own statement Friday that the woman wishes to remain a private citizen and would not be revealing further details regarding her story.

The National Restaurant Association tells the woman’s attorney it is willing to waive the confidentiality agreement signed by the parties involved but her lawyer, Joel P. Bennet, says in his own statement Friday that the woman wishes to remain a private citizen and would not be revealing further details regarding her story.

The National Restaurant Association tells the woman’s attorney it is willing to waive the confidentiality agreement signed by the parties involved but her lawyer, Joel P. Bennet, says in his own statement Friday that the woman wishes to remain a private citizen and would not be revealing further details regarding her story.

But Bennett did reveal that his client said there were “several instances” that caused his client to feel uncomfortable.

“Based upon the information currently available, we can confirm that more than a decade ago, in July 1999, Mr. Bennett’s client filed a formal internal complaint, in accordance with the Association’s existing policies prohibiting discrimination and harassment,” NRA President and CEO Dawn Sweeney said.“Mr. Herman Cain disputed the allegations in the complaint.”

In a statement late Friday afternoon, Cain spokesman J.D. Gordon said: "We look forward to focusing our attention on the real issues impacting this country -- like fixing this broken economy and putting Americans back to work through our 9-9-9 plan, as well as strengthening national security."

Sweeney said an agreement was reached “without an admission of liability,” and that Cain, now a GOP presidential candidate, was “not a party to the agreement.”

But in a press conference on Friday, Bennett said the woman in question, who has been married 26 years and is a federal employee, said that “she has decided not to relive” the incident and wants to remain a private person.

“My client stands by the complaint she made,” Bennett said.

Bennett, who filed a request Wednesday asking that the National Restaurant Association waive a confidentiality agreement, said that for his client, revisiting the incident, which he said occured over a month’s time and happened more than once, would be “extremely painful” for his client.

Bennett refused to disclose how much his client settled the case for and said that he would not get into any details of whether the complaints involved physical interaction or conversations, but labeled it as sexual harassment.

The NRA said it would have been willing to waive its confidentiality agreement if the woman who filed the complaint had wanted to speak.

“We have advised Mr. Bennett that we are willing to waive the confidentiality of this matter and permit Mr. Bennett’s client to comment. As indicated in Mr. Bennett’s statement, his client prefers not to be further involved with this matter and we will respect her decision.”

Seemingly undaunted by the scandal swirling around him, Cain arrived back in Washington on Friday to speak to a group sponsored by Americans for Prosperity, where he made a concerted effort to focus on substance rather than the sexual harassment scandal that has swirled around him for the last six days.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/gop-presidential-hopeful-herman-cain-attempts-a-reboot/2011/11/03/gIQAsO7glM_story.html?wpisrc=al_comboNP

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 06:36:17 PM »

problem is he said he remember it by the end of monday

What Cain said was that he doesn't remember any settlement; and if there was one, he hopes it wasn't much because he didn't do anything.

Cain left in June of '99; the settlement was done in September. And, Cain WAS NOT EVEN PART of what the GOP candidate, CNN, Politico, and other sources called either a "separation package" or a "severance deal".......the latter term I said from the start was probably what this woman got.

There's a different between a legal settlement and a severance deal. And, to date, there is NO PAPERWORK or legal files or forms with Cain's name on them, whatsoever.

More importantly, why was this lawyer, Bennett, going around saying that Cain violated the confidentiality agreement, when Bennett didn't even have the agreement in hand (and once he got it, he discovered....surprise, surprise..::).....Cain wasn't even part of that agreement and had been gone by the time it was made)?

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 06:59:22 PM »
What Cain said was that he doesn't remember any settlement; and if there was one, he hopes it wasn't much because he didn't do anything.

Cain left in June of '99; the settlement was done in September. And, Cain WAS NOT EVEN PART of what the GOP candidate, CNN, Politico, and other sources called either a "separation package" or a "severance deal".......the latter term I said from the start was probably what this woman got.

There's a different between a legal settlement and a severance deal. And, to date, there is NO PAPERWORK or legal files or forms with Cain's name on them, whatsoever.

More importantly, why was this lawyer, Bennett, going around saying that Cain violated the confidentiality agreement, when Bennett didn't even have the agreement in hand (and once he got it, he discovered....surprise, surprise..::).....Cain wasn't even part of that agreement and had been gone by the time it was made)?

this is what he said

After insisting on Monday that he had no recollection of any settlements being paid to two women who complained about his conduct when he was president of the National Restaurant Association, Cain changed his story on Monday night when he said he could, in fact, recall such a payout.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 07:06:42 PM »

this is what he said

After insisting on Monday that he had no recollection of any settlements being paid to two women who complained about his conduct when he was president of the National Restaurant Association, Cain changed his story on Monday night when he said he could, in fact, recall such a payout.

Cain further explained himself, differentiating between a legal settlement and a severance deal (what he called what this woman got). He mentioned that on Hannity's radio show and on Van Strustren's tv show.

There was no LEGAL settlement between Cain and this woman, and he was gone before this woman got her severance deal. Cain had nothing to do with it, as he said earlier.

You're ducking questions again. Why was this lawyer, Joel Bennett, accusing Cain of violating the confidentiality agreement when Bennett DID NOT HAVE THE PAPERWORK and, when he got it, Cain was NOT PART OF THE DEAL?

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 07:39:45 PM »
i think your the only person on here that don't think cain was lying his ass off , :D

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 07:42:04 PM »
In an interview with Robin Meade on the HLN programme, part of the CNN network, Cain went further, saying the complaint concerned "the gesture with the height thing, and there were a couple of other things in there that I found absolutely ridiculous".

Asked what these were, he said: "I don't even remember. They were so ridiculous, I don't remember what they are."

Meade asked him: "You remember they were ridiculous, but you don't remember what the other things were?"

:D :D :D :D that sounds believable   :D :D :D :D