Author Topic: Bob Chick - what have you learned from him?  (Read 9579 times)

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
Re: Bob Chick - what have you learned from him?
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2011, 07:39:34 AM »
I learned that Dewey needs to work more on his delts.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2011, 08:38:05 AM »
"Bob Chicherillo's X-Frame Training... Or Why Benches Blow, Squats Suck, & Behind-neck Presses Are Behind The Times

Ironman Magazine: The way that a person trains determines what type of physique he or she builds?
Bob Cicherillo: Well, theres no question that genetics play a key role, but I also believe strongly that you have to decide early in your training whether you want to be a powerlifter, weightlifter, or bodybuilder. If you decide to be a bodybuilder, then you must train like one. You must also decide whether you want classic lines and shape or a Herculean physique and then train accordingly.

Ironman Magazine: In terms of creating a classic physique, you avoid certain exercises, dont you?
Bob Cicherillo: For starters, if you want classic lines, avoid heavy squats. They build a big ass and w-i-d-e hips. They also build a thick waist. Just look at all the guys in the past who had thick muscle development, thick waists and wide hips; they were all heavy squatters. They had great development, and I dont mean any disrespect. It's just not the look I want. The guys who had shapely, classic lines either squatted light for high reps or not at all.

Ironman Magazine: So you squat light?
Bob Chicherillo: When I was younger, yes, but now I never squat. Squats suck, I prefer leg extensions, 45 degree angled leg presses and hack squats.

Ironman Magazine: What else leads to a classic shapely physique?
Bob Chicherillo: ... Overdeveloped traps and front delts give you a blocky, narrow-shouldered look. Overdeveloped waist, hips, and butt take away from your taper. Overdeveloped forearms distract from your upper arms, and overdeveloped inner quads detract from thigh sweep and give the legs a blocky appearance.

Ironman Magazine: Is that where you think bodybuilder goes wrong?
Bob Chicherillo: Its really tempting to go all out on the things that youre really good at. If youre strong on squats, youre going to want to keep pushing the limits and keep it up. Thats where it takes discipline and you have to see what you want to create and stay focused, developing the areas of your physique that I just mentioned and use self-control to avoid building a blocky appearance.

Ironman Magazine: A lot of bodybuilders are afraid to stray from the proven exercises, thinking that their bodies will dissapear like dust in the wind if they stop doing some of the basics. What gave you the confidence to apply your theories?
Bob Chicherillo: I think many of the old masters had much of it wrong. Dont misunderstand me - I have all respect in the world for those who paved the way for the rest of us, but I think they taught many exercises that not only can ruin the lines of your physique but that are downright dangerous as well and can cause all kinds of injuries, possibly ending your training alltogether.

Ironman Magazine: We already talked about the squat. What other exercises do you avoid and why?
Bob Chicherillo: The bench press. Benches blow! They overdevelop the front delts and midpecs, and they destroy rotator cuffs. Think about it: anytime you hear about someone tearing his pec, what was he doing? Inclines? Flyes? No! Almost without exception flat-bench presses are responsible for pec tears.

Ironman Magazine: Any others?
Bob Chicherillo: Any exercise done with behind the neck palms-forward grip, including BTN presses, BTN pulldowns, and BTN chins. Theres no reason to do them with that kind of grip. Front presses on the Smith-machine are great for overall shoulder development, and they dont destroy the rotator cuff the way behind-neck-presses do. Pulldowns or chins are great for back. You can do BTN pulldowns with a parallel grip bar, or as its sometimes called, a Hollywood bar.

Ironman Magazine: Okay keep going, I want them all.
Bob Chicherillo: Deadlifts! Again, they build a big ass, wide hips, and a wide waist with thick, overdeveloped obliques. They also cause lower-back injuries. Heres the rest of my list of exercises to avoid.
Back: Heavy bentover BB rows - too much lower back and biceps strain. I prefer machine rows with my chest supported against a pad or bench.
Biceps: Straight-bar curls - too much strain on the coraco-brachialis muscles and rotator cuffs. The bar is an unnatural position in your hands. Let you arms hang to your sides. Do your palms naturally face forward or inward? Inward right? Thats the natural position, the one youre in when you do EZ-curl curls or DB curls.
Triceps: OH DB or BB triceps presses (with elbows in). Who made up that elbows in rule anyway? Stupid, stupid, stupid because it strains the shoulders and kills the elbows. Ask anyone about the right way to do OH triceps presses, and hell give you this thing about elbows in. Then ask why. Youll get a black stare. Then ask who originally said they should be done that way. Now the person looks at you like youre an alien. Everyone just plays follow the leader and never questions it. Instead of keeping your shoulders in on that movement, let your elbows come out. Trust me, youll feel your triceps strongly, and there will be no strain on your shoulders, rotator cuffs, or elbows. I do the exercise on the Smith-machine so I can get myself into the position without killing myself.
Hamstrings: Flat-back leg curls - goodbye lower back.

... For example, to work outer biceps for peak, use an in, or close EZ-curl grip. To work inner biceps for size and full development, work out, or with a wide grip. To work outer quads, for sweep, use an in or close foot stance. But still point your toes out. For inner quads use a wide stance. And contrary to popular opinion, I think wide-grip pulldowns and chins build the inner back and close-grip pulldowns and chins build a wide back.

Ironman Magazine: Okay so what are Chicherillo's magic movements for ultimate shape?
Bob Chicherillo: I like that. Lets trademark it! Okay here goes:
Chest: Smith-machine incline presses, incline DB presses, incline flyes, cable crossovers. Occasionally I do machine bench presses and Hammer strength declines.
Back: Wide-grip pulldowns to the front, machine rows with chest support, close-grip pulldowns with a parallel grip, cable rows.
Shoulders: Smith-machine front presses - go no lower than the nose - one arm laterals, bentover laterals, rear-delt machine.
Biceps: Alt. DB curls, machine curls, EZ-curl curls, one arm concentration curls.
Triceps: V-bar pushdowns, Smith reverse-grip benching, machine pressouts, machine dips, Smith OH triceps presses.
Forearms: Wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, reverse curls - all down for at least 12 to 15 reps.
Quads: Leg ext., 45 degree leg presses, hack squats.
Hamstrings: Various leg curls, Smith reverse lunges.
Calves: Standing calf machine, donkey calf machine, seated calf machine, all for at least 12 to 15 reps.
Abs: Crunches and reverse crunches.
Traps: DB shrugs, light for 12 to 15 reps.

Ironman Magazine: How many sets do you do per bodypart?
Bob Chicherillo: No more than 20, but generally about 8 to 12.

Ironman Magazine: Do you train to failure?
Bob Chicherillo: Almost never. I did that in the past, but I noticed that when I eased up a bit and held a rep or two back, I made better progress."
Good information.
T

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2011, 09:25:43 AM »
to have a "classic, shapely" physique only train bis, tris, abs, chest and quads...Thanks for the info.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2011, 09:36:26 AM »
I've learned some pretty witty comebacks that have frustruated folks I've used them on.  ;)

What have you learned?
That bodybuilders make poor civilians
V

almard

• Getbig II
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2011, 11:05:03 AM »
BOB is good guy...

But we need to talk about the hormone...

What do you think of GH and the limit amout of AAS..ect

Give us a cycle example..ect

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2011, 03:15:25 PM »
i also think bench press is shit, as are standing barbell curls. I only do dips and bb curls to build arms and chest.

What do you think of dips for developing chest bob, did you do a lot of them?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2011, 03:17:55 PM »
BOB is good guy...

But we need to talk about the hormone...

What do you think of GH and the limit amout of AAS..ect

Give us a cycle example..ect
Bob`s not stupid.

rush223

• Getbig II
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2011, 04:56:49 PM »
In my opinion, I think Bob has a lot of common sense and neutralizes a lot of BS on the forum. When I read many of the topics and replies, he is very sensible and uses intellect in his responses. I don't know the guy and do not follow the scene as most of you, however; the guy has a lot of common sense and I respect pretty much all of his comments and rebuttals. He seems more grounded than most and speaks with intellect in lieu of emotion. My 2 cents.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2011, 06:11:09 PM »
I learned that Dewey needs to work more on his delts.

Lats....needs to work on his lats

Galvatron

• Getbig III
  • I have contacts in Washington
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2011, 06:13:45 PM »
chick what is the best music concert you ever been to?

SaltShaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2011, 06:28:52 PM »
i learned that you can get paid for stepping on dog shit

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2011, 07:06:28 PM »
Good information.

That was MY interview with Bob in Iron Man!
and keep moving!

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2011, 12:07:42 AM »
This is kind of trivial,but it meant a lot to me at the time.

I`ve always admired the way Bob stuck to his guns and never quit trying for his pro-card even though back in the day,his class was fully loaded with some of the best amatuer bodybuilders ever.

I`ve met and talked with Bob on several occasions although we really don`t know each other per se`..................the first time I met him was in 2000 in Pittsburgh at the Masters Nats.

He was with Jeremy Freeman and some hot fitness chick who I can`t seem to remember right now..................... ...I asked Bob if I could get a pic of the three of them and he replied,"Why not get in the photo with us".

He grabbed a passerby that he knew and we took the pic together.

Lots of other pros could have gave a shit,but Bob was cool.

Then he embarassed me onstage in Rochester when they fucked up my music!!  ;D

Just kidding Bob,you`re a great MC and a good guy to boot,plus a helluva` bodybuilder.

Tim... that's my experience with Bob as well. He often tries to include people.

When I used o go home to Rochester and he was still living there. He always asked me to join him and Larry Baker in a workout and always invited me to get something to eat with the entire crew after a workout. There were often 7-10 gym members walking into the Country Buffet. It meant a lot to me to be included in that.

and keep moving!

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2011, 02:24:34 AM »

When I used o go home to Rochester and he was still living there. He always asked me to join him and Larry Baker in a workout and always invited me to get something to eat with the entire crew after a workout. There were often 7-10 gym members walking into the Country Buffet. It meant a lot to me to be included in that.

did Bob offer to pick up the Tab as well?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2011, 02:28:00 AM »

He`s a good guy for sure David.

Swlabr

« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2011, 02:47:49 AM »
He's very smart about training. Nowadays I just pick a few exercises from his recommended exercises 10 minutes before I go to the gym. Makes life so much easier. :)

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2011, 02:50:29 AM »
Bobby is a good guy - Im glad he still comes on here and gives just as good as he gets.

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2011, 02:52:48 AM »
His pastry skills are overrated I'd say.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2011, 06:54:39 AM »
i learned from him that nothing is what it seems

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Re: What have you learned from Bob Chick?
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2011, 06:55:07 AM »
It`s only gay if you want it to be!!

Elevator or Shaft

You know two things.......jack & shit!!  ;D

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2011, 06:55:27 AM »
i learned from him that nothing is what it seems

And that what seems to be somehting is really nothing.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2011, 07:00:41 AM »
Im sure ill put something together in the future...

Back when i planned on being a pro bodybuilder (lmao)

I watched the mini series you had on bb.com on the way to your masters win.

Oh to be young

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2011, 09:54:28 AM »
that's close...

ITS NOT HOW MUCH YOU LIFT...ITS HOW MUCH YOU LOOK LIKE YOU CAN LIFT..!
THERES NO BENCH PRESS ROUND IN A BB CONTEST
p