Author Topic: Thanksgiving Menu  (Read 7744 times)

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Thanksgiving Menu
« on: November 08, 2011, 01:04:30 PM »
What's yours?

This is what i'm toying with at the moment:

Cheese and meat tray: baby blue, triple cream brie, manchego, herbed goat cheese, chorizo, salami, capicola.  Maybe some other stuff, like marinated olives & roasted peppers.

Fruit & nut tray: assorted nuts with strawberries, grapes, carmelized figs

Bread: french baguette, ciabatta, maybe somehing along the semi-sweet style too

Soup: Carrot and ginger soup.  I'm thinking of serving it in mini-pumpkins with a carrot/chive/cumin creme fraiche.  Or same garnish, no chive but blanched & curled green onion.

Salad: Mesculin mix salad with tomato, cucumber and mustard vinaigrette.

Meat:  Brined turkey stuffed with aromatics and a mushroom trifolate gravy

Side: Roast Garlic mashed potatoes, Green bean almondine, cornbread dressing, Grand Marnier Cranberry sauce

Dessert: Flan, pecan pie, pumpkin pie and  maybe a coconut custard pie

w8m8

Re: Thanksgiving Menu
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 01:47:25 PM »
I deliver dinners to seniors that are housebound for Thanksgiving through the local church .. I don't have family to spend holidays with so I always just do that for both Christmas and Thanksgiving to get out and feel good

Your meal sounds sooooooo good  :D

the stuffing ?

how will you prepare it ? with sausage ? will it be more moist than a cornbread one I've had before .. it was sorta dry  :-\

never had flan nor figs .. I'd love to taste those especially

I had brie for the first time last year .. I'm sure it wasn't triple cream .. prolly just a bargain one .. it was good though

the soup in mini pumpkins is a grand idea and love the the curled onion garnish idea I don't like chives very much  :-[

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 07:25:47 PM »

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 07:27:04 AM »
I deliver dinners to seniors that are housebound for Thanksgiving through the local church .. I don't have family to spend holidays with so I always just do that for both Christmas and Thanksgiving to get out and feel good

Your meal sounds sooooooo good  :D

the stuffing ?

how will you prepare it ? with sausage ? will it be more moist than a cornbread one I've had before .. it was sorta dry  :-\

never had flan nor figs .. I'd love to taste those especially

I had brie for the first time last year .. I'm sure it wasn't triple cream .. prolly just a bargain one .. it was good though

the soup in mini pumpkins is a grand idea and love the the curled onion garnish idea I don't like chives very much  :-[

I'll send you my address   ;)
I make the cornbread with creamed corn so it's moist, plus I use chicken stock and sweated onions.  I generally will do the stuffing in a slow cooker to help recycle the moisture that is lost.Flan is great.  I make the traditional SPanish flan, instead of the mexican/south American version.  Whisch are still good though.  Black mission figs are great. I will sprinkle with brown sugar (just a bit ) and carmelize the, but i leave some uncooked too. Brie is tastey.  I have added brie to mac & cheese before and it was nice. 

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 01:14:47 PM »
What's yours?

Cheese and meat tray: baby blue, triple cream brie, manchego, herbed goat cheese, chorizo, salami, capicola.  Maybe some other stuff, like marinated olives & roasted peppers.

Soup: Carrot and ginger soup.  I'm thinking of serving it in mini-pumpkins with a carrot/chive/cumin creme fraiche.  Or same garnish, no chive but blanched & curled green onion.

Meat:  Brined turkey stuffed with aromatics and a mushroom trifolate gravy

Side: Roast Garlic mashed potatoes, Green bean almondine, cornbread dressing, Grand Marnier Cranberry sauce

Dessert: Flan, pecan pie, pumpkin pie and  maybe a coconut custard pie

How many people?

This cranberry recipe last year was a hit  http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=356779.0
but the Grand Marnier sounds good (recipe please  ;) )

Thinking of doing roasted delicata squash in lieu of sweet potatoes...

That's as far as I got in the thought process  ::)
:

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 08:04:47 PM »
only 10 people, probably less.  Don't have recipe yet as I am developing it.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 06:10:54 AM »
I'm going to Migs' for Thanksgiving.

Thanks for doing that w8m8!

P.S. Don't believe Migs about the flan  :-X
R

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 01:11:32 PM »
Thanksgiving dinner will be different at our house this year. Our daughter doesn't eat much in the way of meat. However, she will eat turkey breast if it is skinless and off the bone. My wife likes turkey thighs. There won't be enough people here to cook a whole turkey. Therefore, we are fixing a boneless and skinless turkey breast and some turkey thighs. Our grandson and I will eat whatever is put before us. I'll probably make a pumpkin pie. Although my wife is a great cook, she maintains she cannot make a decent pie crust.

I think we will have a bigger celebration on Christmas because our son-in-law will be home on leave from Afghanistan for two weeks at Christmas time. We're all really excited to have him home even though it is just a leave. His favorite foods are pizza and my wife's pot roast....not in the same meal. LOL.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 01:13:36 PM »
I'm going to Migs' for Thanksgiving.

P.S. Don't believe Migs about the flan  :-X

you always have an open invite.

WTH about the flan.  It is good.  you probably only eat the crap they peddle to whiteys.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 03:06:30 PM »
you always have an open invite.

WTH about the flan.  It is good.  you probably only eat the crap they peddle to whiteys.

Racist post reported!
R

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 04:41:15 PM »
damn right i'm racist. i hate all people equally.  But i really hate the jerk that caused $1700 worth of damage to my new car

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 07:20:55 AM »
damn right i'm racist. i hate all people equally.  But i really hate the jerk that caused $1700 worth of damage to my new car

:o

Was it a hit and run?
R

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 11:28:15 AM »
scafolding flew off of his truck and hit me and another car.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 12:20:50 PM »
scafolding flew off of his truck and hit me and another car.

Was it made in China
R

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 05:49:50 AM »
My menu=eat till i'm almost sick to my stomach :)

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 07:53:29 AM »
Was it made in China

nope made in the USA, that's why it fell apart upon impact

Mega Man

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 12:13:29 PM »
What's yours?

Cheese and meat tray: baby blue, triple cream brie, manchego, herbed goat cheese, chorizo, salami, capicola.  Maybe some other stuff, like marinated olives & roasted peppers.

Soup: Carrot and ginger soup.  I'm thinking of serving it in mini-pumpkins with a carrot/chive/cumin creme fraiche.  Or same garnish, no chive but blanched & curled green onion.

Meat:  Brined turkey stuffed with aromatics and a mushroom trifolate gravy

Dessert: Flan, pecan pie, pumpkin pie and  maybe a coconut custard pie

You need to order 5 start butter...it will make your recipes 100% better, and the dinner rolls 1000% better when you spread this stuff on top ;)

Welcome to the good life.... 8)

http://www.fivestarbutter.com/Five_Star_Butter_Co./Welcome.html

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 12:43:36 PM »
i generally use Plugra butter or sometimes a European butter when I come across it.  Plugra is 82% and very good.  I just wont spend $36 for a pound of butter. 

Mega Man

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 02:02:47 PM »
i generally use Plugra butter or sometimes a European butter when I come across it.  Plugra is 82% and very good.  I just wont spend $36 for a pound of butter. 

...It's a pound of Heaven ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 02:52:35 PM »
I am not butter aficionado, so I don't know about these brands of which you speak. However, I do prefer unsalted butter to salted butter. One of my favorite treats is a brie or Camembert sandwich made the way I had it one summer afternoon at a sidewalk cafe in Lyon, France. It is so simple. Take a fresh crusty section of a baguette, sliced in half. Spread it with sweet cream butter and either of those cheeses. So simple, yet so delicious! My wife likes to remind me of the time I made myself one of these sandwiches the day prior to having my cholesterol checked and it was high....big surprise!

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 04:30:39 AM »
nope made in the USA, that's why it fell apart upon impact
LOL

newmom

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 07:06:04 AM »
mmm butter

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 08:05:57 AM »
Thanks for this link.  Will freezing affect this product adversely?  I may get it as a Christmas gift for someone but she'd probably freeze some of it.

butter freezes very well for about 6-8 months.  Wrap in the original packaginf and then in a freezer bag. to minimize air.  Always try to freeze quickly too.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 07:42:46 PM »
Decided not to do a turkey this year.  Just sick of poultry  :-X  I think I'm going to do a honey mustard crusted pork loin roast and a pecan prauline angel food cake.
:

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2011, 09:38:46 PM »
Decided not to do a turkey this year.  Just sick of poultry  :-X  I think I'm going to do a honey mustard crusted pork loin roast and a pecan prauline angel food cake.

-Stepping out of the box....I like that idea.