Author Topic: 2011 Sacramento Figure & Bikini Article  (Read 2081 times)

TK

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
2011 Sacramento Figure & Bikini Article
« on: November 09, 2011, 03:16:46 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/cardio-fitness-in-san-jose/npc-sacramento-2011-figure-bikini-bodybuilding-and-men-s-physique
  by Nicole Thompson, San Jose Cardio Fitness Examiner, November 8

This weekend I had the honor of showing my newest NPC Figure Competitor off at the NPC Sacramento IFBB/NPC show. The show was held downtown at Crest Theater and was one of the larger shows. This show was definitely different from past shows I've been to and very memorable.

First off, we registered Friday night. We were able to register any time between 2pm - 9pm. This was great because most times everyone registers or checks in at the same time either the night before or the morning of the show. This eliminated long lines and created a much more relaxed environment...well as much as could be expected!

From 4pm - 6pm there was a Free Seminar open to all female competitors. This is something I have not experienced before and was awesome. It was led by Sandy Williamson (IFBB Olympia Head Judge-IFBB/NPC Women's Chairperson). Also on the panel were Kim Oddo, a long-time trainer to the Pros, Nicole Wilkins( IFBB Figure Pro) and Amanda Latona(IFBB Bikini Pro). They were asked questions about everything from suit colors, stretch marks, posing, the 'look', judging and tanning. Here are some quick notes-

Your suit selection should be a richer, deeper color. Lighter or tan colors will wash you out on stage.
You DON'T need implants to be successful. Many competitors became Pro without them, and if they are that noticeable for being just too big and not matching your body you may get knocked down.
You don't have to spend a ton of money on a suit. The most important part is making sure you pick a color that looks good on you and fits you well.
Bikini is a relatively new class, this being its 2nd year. When asked what the 'look' was, the response is "Sexy but Classy".
Following the Q&A portion, there was a posing practice led by Nicole Wilkins. She was great and all the girls were thrilled to meet her, including me! The entire panel was really helpful and even stayed to answer our personal questions or take pictures. This was such a great idea and I highly recommend going to it next year!

The day started by checking in at 8am. The doors opened at 9am and pre-judging started at 9:30. This show was both NPC(all classes) and IFBB Pro Bikini and Men's Bodybuilding under 212lbs. The finals show started at 6pm where the bodybuilders performed their routines and everyone was presented their trophies and awards. An interesting spot in the night was Women's Bodybuilding. Someone was not happy with their placing. She was so unhappy, that she refused to move to her spot on stage leaving the higher scorers to move around her. Upon exiting the stage she shook it as if she was going to slam it. Fitness is a small world, and by the next night the story had come back around to me and it ended with her breaking the trophy off-stage. Emotions run high and we all work very hard to get where we are. It's a shame.

Of course there were vendors there such as Christine Marsh Suit Designs,  Body Temple(my personal favorite!) We spent quite some time there buying the clothes off of Kristy Cisneroz's  back! She has just come off winning Bikini Overall at the NPC Border States Championships and many others. This is great as you can check out suits, and try out supplements and products. This show was hosted by Jagware Posing Suits and Maximum Tanning(Max Muscle Walnut Creek). It was sponsored by JMP Studios, Body By O, NPC News, Muscle&Fitness, Flex, Spectrum Fitness Productions, Inc., Terry Photo, Southwest Video Services and Courtyard Marriot Hotel.

This was the first time I have attended this show and I recommend it. I will be back again for the NPC Governer's Cup which is being held at this same location on March 24, 2012 and sponsored by Spectrum Fitness Productions, Inc. as well.