Author Topic: Teenager Wins Iowa Mayoral Race  (Read 245 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Teenager Wins Iowa Mayoral Race
« on: November 12, 2011, 11:38:16 AM »
Kinda funny.  A kid that young still doesn't know his head from his rear end, but should be great experience for him.  

Teenager Wins Iowa Mayoral Race
Published November 12, 2011
Associated Press

Aredale, IA –  Mayor-elect Jeremy Minnier has big plans for his small town of Aredale in northern Iowa.

The 18-year-old senior at Hampton Dumont High School was elected Tuesday with 24 write-in votes, defeating incumbent Mayor Virgil Homer, who received eight votes, according to unofficial election results from the Butler County elections office.

Minnier told KIMT-TV in Mason City that he ran his write-in campaign because he thought the opinions of Aredale's 73 residents were going unnoticed.

"It's just one of them things where people think you're only 18 you can't do this, because you don't know what's going on -- well that's a false statement," Minnier said.

Minnier has grown up in Aredale. His father was mayor before Jeremy was born and later served on the city council.

"There are a lot of things that people want that the leaders don't hear about, and I think that's one thing that needs to be touched on a little closer," Minnier said.

Minnier is in the high school band. He's president of his school's Future Farmers of America and he writes for the school newspaper. After school, he has a part-time job.

"My first reaction was, that's awesome. Jeremy will do an unbelievable great job," said Dave Bowman, Hampton-Dumont FFA adviser.
Minnier says he's ready to lead as long as he can.

"A lot of people say, `Don't you want to live in a bigger city, don't you want to get out of here?' and no, I love it. It's where I've lived my entire life and I wouldn't want to be anywhere but here," Minnier said.

Aredale has a post office, a couple bars and a bank.

Minnier told KWWL-TV in Waterloo that he believes he can accomplish some big things, including talking to the Iowa Department of Natural Resources about septic issues.

"We have some things with the DNR and their septic problems with everybody needing leech fields or needing pods put in their property for their septic. Another thing is rural water because we all have our own wells in Aredale. And there's also things we can just improve the overall appearance of the city and make it a place people like to come to," he said.

Minnier, who will take office Jan. 3, plans to attend community college close to home next year so he can continue his duties throughout his four-year term.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/11/12/teenager-wins-iowa-mayoral-race/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Teenager Wins Iowa Mayoral Race
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 01:07:48 PM »
Kinda funny.  A kid that young still doesn't know his head from his rear end

He's a Herman Cain supporter?  ???