Author Topic: Would you ever spend $8.59 on a medium sized jar of tomato sauce?  (Read 3310 times)

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
At the grocery store; I purchase tomato sauce that has no added sugar and no added sodium. It has 530mg of potassium per serving. The Ingredients are quite clean and it tastes decent.

There are a few other higher end sauces there that cost between $6-$9 per jar. They are not organic. I cannot imagine that they taste so great to warrant the high price.

Does any buy these??

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: Would you ever spend $8.59 on a medium sized jar of tomato sauce?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 03:35:12 PM »
I think not!

biff

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »
if you're concerned about ingredients, why not just buy tomatoes, oil, garlic, etc., and make your own, (probably for less $$$) ?

Salvatore Martinez

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 03:46:27 PM »
just make your own, its easy and always better than the jar stuff.

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
if you're concerned about ingredients, why not just buy tomatoes, oil, garlic, etc., and make your own, (probably for less $$$) ?

that's what i'm thinking.. fresher, cheaper, healthier plus taste 100x better

Salvatore Martinez

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 03:53:11 PM »
nothing better than browning up a bunch of meatballs, italian sausage, pork butt, making up a big pot of homemade tomato sauce and having a weeks worth of meat gravy as a good cheat meal here and there.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 04:06:05 PM »
8.59.....is that how much Joker Guyomon is making a fight now?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 04:31:58 PM »

Is there a prize inside? 

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 04:44:23 PM »
For $8.95 it should include a BJ from the sexy young cashier!!

Salvatore Martinez

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 04:45:33 PM »
For $8.95 it should include a BJ from the sexy young cashier!!
lol, yes.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
At the grocery store; I purchase tomato sauce that has no added sugar and no added sodium. It has 530mg of potassium per serving. The Ingredients are quite clean and it tastes decent.

There are a few other higher end sauces there that cost between $6-$9 per jar. They are not organic. I cannot imagine that they taste so great to warrant the high price.

Does any buy these??
why are you afraid of a little bit of sugar and sodium. it adds flavour. your body needs sodium too you know?

lol idiot...

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 04:49:22 PM »

Does any buy these??
Why don`t you make your own genius?

I have many recipes for some and incredible ones at that.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 04:49:30 PM »
We grew our own huge tomatoes and my wife made and canned a ton of sauce.

Good shit.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 04:50:41 PM »
Here's a tomato sauce recipe you might want to try. We found it on net last year and never buy the store stocked stuff any more. Whenever company comes by we tell them to add whatever they want to it while it's on the stove and we have yet to have a bad tasting tomato sauce yet.

Sme family members even add Worstheshire Sauce, Teriyaki Sauce, or red wine and it still comes out tasting good.

You might want to give it a try and add stuff of your own to your heart's content.

Ingredients

1/4 cup olive oil
6 tomatoes, chopped
3 onions, minced
2 green bell peppers, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons white wine
salt and pepper to taste

Directions: In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; add tomatoes, onions, green bell peppers, garlic, white wine and salt and pepper to taste.
Mix ingredients well; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve.
Nutritional Information  

Makes six servings. Amount Per Serving ... Calories: 144 | Total Fat: 9.4g | Cholesterol: 0mg

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 05:01:49 PM »
TA, Post some of your sauce recipes here and we'll give them a try and let ya know what we think of them. We have a lot of old Italian friends who are great and honest critics of good Italian food.

Actually any of your recipes would be appreciated.

I do a pretty good job with Chicken Piccata.

Lately (within the last 15 - 20 years) we have been unable to find true and authentic beef raviolis except for one old restaurant up by Northern California's Russian River called Fiori's. That recipe has been used by this family owned restaurant since the present owner's great grandmother.

And nowadays it's impossible to find great Mexican restaurants that serve beef enchiladas like they served then a good while back.

I'm still searching for both of the above here in Las Vegas. Any suggestions?

Salvatore Martinez

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 05:03:25 PM »
please tell me youre joking on the Teriyaki or worcestershire sauce. ::)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 05:10:21 PM »
The Problem
In a perfect world, you’d simply reach for a few garden-ripe tomatoes to make a quick tomato sauce, but that isn’t a realistic option for most of the year. Canned tomatoes surpass the bland, rock-hard offerings in the produce aisle, but they have disadvantages: First, the canning process cooks off many of the key aromatic compounds that food scientists have identified as contributors to full, fruity tomato taste. Second, the addition of citric acid as a preservative throws off the key balance of sweetness and acidity.

The Goal
To create a complex, brightly flavored sauce, one that tastes first and foremost of tomatoes, in the time it takes to boil pasta.

The Solution
Choosing the right can of tomatoes was a critical first step. Crushed tomatoes were the best choice because they would save us the step of pureeing. Certain brands (such as Tuttorosso or Muir Glen, winners of our taste tests) of crushed tomatoes are also minimally processed. These two producers heat their tomatoes at a lower temperature than other brands to preserve an enzyme called lipoxygenase. This enzyme oxidizes two of the pigments found in ripe tomatoes (lycopene and beta-carotene) creating new aromatic compounds that make the canned tomatoes literally taste fresh. Adding a bit of sugar and a couple cloves of minced garlic to the canned tomatoes boosted flavor, as did some dried oregano, which we sautéed to eliminate dryness before adding it. We also shredded a small amount of onion on a box grater before sautéing for two reasons: Besides helping the onion cook faster, grating releases fructose, which causes onions to become sweet. We started to sauté the onion in olive oil, but then turned to butter, which also caramelizes in the presence of heat, creating new flavor compounds that enhanced, rather than detracted from the tomatoes. When the onions were lightly browned, we added the minced garlic, sugar, and crushed tomatoes, then simmered the sauce for just 10 minutes. To make up for the lost fragrance of fresh tomatoes, we added two highly aromatic ingredients: chopped fresh basil and extra-virgin olive oil. Swirled in just before serving, these ingredients perfumed the sauce with bright, grassy notes.

WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
To cook this brightly flavored, complex tomato sauce recipe in the time it takes to boil pasta, we chose minimally processed crushed tomatoes, which have a fresh taste but are already pureed. A few ingredients added essential flavor compounds to our tomato sauce recipe. Minced onion sautéed in butter (rather than olive oil) greatly enhanced the flavor of the tomatoes. Adding sugar, garlic, and oregano to the cooked onions further boosted our sauce’s flavor, as did adding chopped basil and olive oil just before serving.

MAKES 3 CUPS, ENOUGH FOR 1 POUND OF PASTA
This full-flavored tomato sauce takes only 15 minutes to prepare. High-quality canned tomatoes will make a big difference in this sauce. Our preferred brands of crushed tomatoes are Tuttorosso and Muir Glen. Grate the onion on the large holes of a box grater.
INGREDIENTS
2tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4cup grated onion , from 1 medium onion (see note)
1/4teaspoon dried oregano
Table salt
2medium garlic cloves , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes (see note)
1/4teaspoon sugar
2tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
1tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Ground black pepper
INSTRUCTIONS
Heat butter in medium saucepan over medium heat until melted. Add onion, oregano, and ½ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated and onion is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and sugar; increase heat to high and bring to simmer. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened slightly, about 10 minutes. Off heat, stir in basil and oil; season with salt and pepper. Serve.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 05:12:03 PM »
Adam and Stunt just made me want some fucking manicotti with garlic bread!  :)

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 05:13:40 PM »
At GETBIG, people have their fish flown in from Seattle every 2 weeks. Paying 6 to 8 bucks for tomato sauce wouldn't even register in the minds of Gettbiggers.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 05:16:31 PM »
Adam and Stunt just made me want some fucking manicotti with garlic bread!  :)
I made Manicotti about a month ago. Superb.

The best thing about cooking is you know the entire caloric and Macro/Micro Content of any meal you make and therefore can use anything you want year round, to not only get ripped, but to stay ripped and to gain muscle as well.  ;D

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »
And you nuts? Hell no!
a

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 05:19:27 PM »

Why don't more black people like basil?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
I made Manicotti about a month ago. Superb.

The best thing about cooking is you know the entire caloric and Macro/Micro Content of any meal you make and therefore can use anything you want year round, to not only get ripped, but to stay ripped and to gain muscle as well.  ;D
Let`s not go there!!  LOL  ;D

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »
I notice most black people don`t eat as well as they once did.  They used to know how to cook things extremely well.  The newer generations don`t know how cook like their fathers, mothers, grandmothers, grandfathers, great grandfathers etc...

There are some in the South that still know how to do it right and when you find them, very few people can compare to their ability.  I am not so sure about the north though.  

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2011, 05:24:07 PM »
Who`s Basil ??? 

;D