Author Topic: Is A-Rod the greatest of all-time?  (Read 11113 times)

dov

• Getbig IV
Re: Is A-Rod the greatest of all-time?
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 02:20:11 PM »
Roy Hobbs

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 03:07:48 PM »
I'm a Giants fan, but when it comes to QB's it's tough to argue that anyone ever is better than Tom Brady.  Some QB's have some better statisctical columns than him, but Brady is top 3 in just about every stat category and at the end of the day, he gets the job done.  Like Jordan.  Some bball players had better stats in their careers, but at the end of a basketball game, if you had to pick one player of all time that you want with the ball, it's Jordan.  If you have 2 minutes left on the clock and you can pick any QB to drive down field and win the game for you, it'd be tough to not pick Brady.  The guy gets the job done.  Unless it's 2007 and he's playing the Giants  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Lol, but if you remember, Brady did throw a touchdown to Moss with a couple of minutes left in the 4th.  99% of the time Brady gets the job done.  It's the defense that has let us Pats fans down recently.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 03:09:27 PM »
LoL , you see a pretty and cute guy, I see an NFL legend that works hard, plays tuff, and will be a first Ballet Hall of famer.
Thread is about who is Bette then Aaron Rogers not who is better looking, but I'd u wanna go there please tell us Groink who is the sexiest QB in the NFL?

I see a homo with candid pics of Brady on his hard drive , not a single one of this "great" QB actually IN UNIFORM on the field...you can stop backpedaling now  ;)

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 03:12:46 PM »
I see a homo with candid pics of Brady on his hard drive , not a single one of this "great" QB actually IN UNIFORM on the field...you can stop backpedaling now  ;)

:D

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 03:14:26 PM »

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2011, 03:22:10 PM »
Brady is better than Montana.  Montana played with an All-star team with those 80's 49ers.  The one year that Brady had a motivated Moss, he threw 50 touchdowns.  By the way' Rodgers still has some work to do before he matches Brady's 2007 season.  Brady's last years stats weren't so bad either (36 td, 4 int) first unanimous league mvp.  ;D

Lol, his career qb rating is a 95.7!  Most teams would kill for their qb to have  a 95.7 rating for one year.

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2011, 03:36:26 PM »
Brady is better than Montana.  Montana played with an All-star team with those 80's 49ers.  The one year that Brady had a motivated Moss, he threw 50 touchdowns.  By the way' Rodgers still has some work to do before he matches Brady's 2007 season.  Brady's last years stats weren't so bad either (36 td, 4 int) first unanimous league mvp.  ;D

Lol, his career qb rating is a 95.7!  Most teams would kill for their qb to have  a 95.7 rating for one year.

Dead wrong. Montana is the greatest quarterback of all time. Brady isn't even a distant second.
Montana, as well as Marino, Elway, etc. all played at a time when defenses were actually allowed to play.
Defensive backs could practically tackle receivers and quarterbacks would routinely take shots that would get defensive players today fined and suspended.
Montana never lost a Super Bowl, Brady did.
Today's game is an offensive game, just look at how many quarterbacks throw for 4,000 yards these days like it's nothing.
Hell, Matt freakin Cassel looked like a decent quarterback with Belichick working his magic.  With some help from spy footage I'm sure.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2011, 03:41:06 PM »
Dead wrong. Montana is the greatest quarterback of all time. Brady isn't even a distant second.
Montana, as well as Marino, Elway, etc. all played at a time when defenses were actually allowed to play.
Defensive backs could practically tackle receivers and quarterbacks would routinely take shots that would get defensive players today fined and suspended.
Montana never lost a Super Bowl, Brady did.
Today's game is an offensive game, just look at how many quarterbacks throw for 4,000 yards these days like it's nothing.
Hell, Matt freakin Cassel looked like a decent quarterback with Belichick working his magic.  With some help from spy footage I'm sure.

x2 defense is a different game today.  Ronnie Lott would be fined into poverty in today's NFL.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2011, 04:12:45 PM »
As for baseball, Barry Bonds is the greatest player of all time.  I know this'll offend you baseball purists who preach nothing but Babe Ruth, but Bonds is THE greatest player to have ever played this game.  Argue steroids all you want, but the pitchers were no doubt juicing as well.  Ruth never had to face consistent 95+ mph pitches.

Greatest quarterback?  Toss-up between Manning and Brady, with Favre a very close second.  The only reason I say Favre is due to his longetivity in the league, as he played in both the brutal days of little QB protection and today's pass-happy rules.  Those that say Montana and Marino, I understand....but...Mont ana played on a virtual All-Star team.  In those days, all but a few teams(with no salary cap) had absolutely no shot in getting to a Super Bowl.  It was the same teams year in and year out that were good or bad.  This is one of the reasons why the 49ers and Cowboys were so good for so long....so much amazing talent stacked.  If Montana had played for the Rams, Lions, or Cardinals, he would've never sniffed the Super Bowl, if he even made the playoffs.

Today, ANY team can make it to the Super Bowl.  Just in the last decade there were a handful of teams that made or won the Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history.  There is much greater parity today than there ever was.  Yes, the numbers are gaudy nowadays, but even bad teams can beat you on any given Sunday.  Look at the Patriots.  They are talked about year in and year as if they were some kind of NFL juggernaut, but yet they haven't won a playoff in game in 4 years.  You still have to have a good team around you, and a QB alone isn't going to save you.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2011, 05:01:31 PM »
Btw, Baby Ruth wouldnt hit 300 Hrs by today standars.

Take a look at Adrian Gonzalez of the Red Sox. The guy looks like he's never been in a weight room in his life. Look what he is able to do against MLB pitching. He's a natural born baseball player. As was Babe Ruth but even much better.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2011, 05:03:14 PM »
Brady is better than Montana.  Montana played with an All-star team with those 80's 49ers.  The one year that Brady had a motivated Moss, he threw 50 touchdowns.  By the way' Rodgers still has some work to do before he matches Brady's 2007 season.  Brady's last years stats weren't so bad either (36 td, 4 int) first unanimous league mvp.  ;D

Feel free to never post on a football related thread ever again... This is by far the dumbest thing I've ever read about a QB in my life.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2011, 05:05:51 PM »
Adrian Gonzalez of the Red Sox.

he isn't dominican, rican or cuban. he has b e a n e r genetics.  weights won't help much.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2011, 05:15:51 PM »
he isn't dominican, rican or cuban. he has b e a n e r genetics.  weights won't help much.

True. Just pointing out that the Babe Ruth of old would have been just as good in any era he played. Nolan Ryan throw about 100 mph his whole career. And he gave up over 300 home runs. Babe Ruth would have no problem what so ever hitting 95 mph fastball like the guys of today throw.

NYSTATEOFMIND

• Getbig IV
  • Getbigs Reporter of perverse news
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2011, 05:33:05 PM »
Rodgers > Brady?

Rodgers > Marino?

Rodgers > ...Montana???

Speak on this. 

are you serious? he has had 4 very good yrs and a SB but your comparing him to alltime greats...slow down cowboy

he may end up being better but, give him time
getbig or getgot

NYSTATEOFMIND

• Getbig IV
  • Getbigs Reporter of perverse news
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2011, 05:34:26 PM »
no, Ruth is now and will always be the greatest baseball player of all time, Joe Montana is now and will always be the greatest QB of all time, Rodgers has a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go to be even mentioned in the same breath as those guys.

do you yearn to be white? just wondering
getbig or getgot

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2011, 05:41:05 PM »
Feel free to never post on a football related thread ever again... This is by far the dumbest thing I've ever read about a QB in my life.
Why?  People argue that this is a pass happy league now right?  They throw the ball more then ever before right? Brady is throwing more than Montana ever did, and yet he still has a lifetime Qb rating of 95.7 . Montana had a better team around him on offense and defense.  The Cassel argument is void.  He made the pro bowl as a starter for the chiefs, so obviously he has some talent. I'm interested, who you think is the best  of all time?

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2011, 05:45:21 PM »
Why?  People argue that this is a pass happy league now right?  They throw the ball more then ever before right? Brady is throwing more than Montana ever did, and yet he still has a lifetime Qb rating of 95.7 . Montana had a better team around him on offense and defense.  The Cassel argument is void.  He made the pro bowl as a starter for the chiefs, so obviously he has some talent. I'm interested, who you think is the best  of all time?

Brady - No bump and run past 5 yds
Montana - Holding WRs 25 yds down field

Brady - DBs with waxy gloves
Montana - DBs with glue and stickem

Brady - Slide and don't get hit
Montana - Get knocked the fuck out.

Easier game for Brady. Would be interesting if he faced the Steele curtain, Dallas Flex or Chicago under Montana NFL rules.

In other words, Montana needed All-Stars just to move the ball down the field.

I highly doubt Brady would win with Kevin Faulk and Branch in the old school NFL.

Generation Nothing.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2011, 05:56:14 PM »
I admit i'm biased.  I'm a Pats fan.  It's like comparing apples to apples.  If you want to go by generations, then Brady is the best quarterback of this generation (pending Rodgers career)
Current Qbs:

1.Brady
2.P. Manning
3.D.Brees

I did not put Rodgers up there yet because you cant be the best in the league after only a couple good years.  Come talk to me if he goes another 5+ years with great stats.  You also can't expect him to play this lights out every year.  Brady has his typical All-pro years(every year) sprinkled with phenominal ones ('07, '10).  There is no other quarterback I would want running a 2-minute drill at the end of the game.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2011, 06:07:20 PM »
It's overkill with this "Rodgers is playing the better than any quarterback ever in the last 15 games ..." Brady, Manning been doing it way longer. Plus Montana did pretty good too for a stretch of time.
L

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2011, 06:13:50 PM »
It's overkill with this "Rodgers is playing the better than any quarterback ever in the last 15 games ..." Brady, Manning been doing it way longer. Plus Montana did pretty good too for a stretch of time.
Exactly!!!!!

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2011, 07:28:32 AM »

Ok, right now, today...is Rodgers playing the position at the highest level we've seen since Montana left San Fran?  And that includes the season Tommy went for 50.

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2011, 08:36:53 AM »
True. Just pointing out that the Babe Ruth of old would have been just as good in any era he played. Nolan Ryan throw about 100 mph his whole career. And he gave up over 300 home runs. Babe Ruth would have no problem what so ever hitting 95 mph fastball like the guys of today throw.

Nolan Ryan retired in the 90's decades after Ruth......

Even if he saw a 95mph fast ball (which wasnt the case in the early 1900's) Ruth only saw fast balls and curves his entire carreer ....(piece of cake) for a power hitter  at any level.

Any AA player could have make it to the majors under such circunstances.

Salvatore Martinez

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2011, 09:09:38 AM »

Even if he saw a 95mph fast ball (which wasnt the case in the early 1900's) Ruth only saw fast balls and curves his entire carreer ....(piece of cake) for a power hitter  at any level.

pitchers arent throwing any faste today than they ever have, Bob Feller was throwing 103 mph. in the 1940's and no one does that today, Ruth would be knocking the cover off the ball on these little 5 inning throwing bitches today.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2011, 09:11:23 AM »

Correct, which is why when comparing players of different eras, it's better to look a players deviation from  league averages at the time, rather than raw numbers.   This makes Ruth look even better.

Pure skill and the development of the game is different, which I think you're trying to show.  In that regards, yes, Ruth may suffer today, but maybe not.
Y

Salvatore Martinez

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2011, 09:12:22 AM »
these fag.gots today and their "pitch counts" and "quality starts", pussies today go 6 innings and throw 99 pitches and they're looking to the dugout to be taken out, prior to the 1980's pitchers just assumed theyd be going the full 9 innings unless something catastrophic happened.