Author Topic: Suffolk Law School Prof On US Military: They’re “Killers”  (Read 790 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Suffolk Law School Prof On US Military: They’re “Killers”
« on: November 18, 2011, 09:54:25 AM »
What an idiot.

Suffolk Law School Prof On US Military: They’re “Killers,” Sympathy For Them “Not Rational In Today’s World”
Thursday, November 10, 2011

At least one Suffolk Law School prof is not a big fan

On Wednesday a member of the Suffolk Law School staff sent out an email soliciting “much needed supplies to put in care packages to be sent to deployed troops.”  You know, stuff like beef jerky, instant coffee, trail mix, etc? Scout troops do stuff like this all the time.  In fact, the email specifically mentioned that one Suffolk Law student deployed to Afghanistan would be a recipient.

Pretty basic, patriotic stuff, right?  Well, read this response from one of the Suffolk Law professors who received it, a (ahem) “gentleman” named Michael Avery:

I think it is shameful that it is perceived as legitimate to solicit in an academic institution for support for men and women who have gone overseas to kill other human beings.  I understand that there is a residual sympathy for service members, perhaps engendered by support for troops in World War II, or perhaps from when there was a draft and people with few resources to resist were involuntarily sent to battle. That sympathy is not particularly rational in today's world, however. 

The United States may well be the most war prone country in the history of civilization.  We have been at war two years out of three since the Cold War ended.  We have 700 overseas military bases.  What other country has any?  In the last ten years we have squandered hundreds of billions of dollars in unnecessary foreign invasions.  Those are dollars that could have been used for people who are losing their homes due to the economic collapse, for education, to repair our infrastructure, or for any of a thousand better purposes than making war.  And of course those hundreds of billions of dollars have gone for death and destruction.

Perhaps some of my colleagues will consider this to be an inappropriate political statement.  But of course the solicitation email was a political statement, although cast as support for student activities. The politics of that solicitation are that war is legitimate, perhaps inevitable, and that patriotic Americans should get behind our troops.

We need to be more mindful of what message we are sending as a school. Since Sept. 11 we have had perhaps the largest flag in New England hanging in our atrium.  This is not a politically neutral act. Excessive patriotic zeal is a hallmark of national security states.  It permits, indeed encourages, excesses in the name of national security, as we saw during the Bush administration, and which continue during the Obama administration. 

Why do we continue to have this oversized flag in our lobby?  Why are we sending support to the military instead of Americans who are losing their homes, malnourished, unable to get necessary medical care, and suffering from other consequences of poverty?  As a university community, we should debate these questions, not remain on automatic pilot in support of the war agenda.  [all emphasis added]

That’s Professor Avery’s verbatim response. I’d like to hear yours—particularly if you’ve got one of those “killers,” one of those merchants of “death and destruction” in your family.

http://michaelgraham.com/archives/suffolk-law-school-prof-on-us-military-they-rsquo-re-ldquo-killers-rdquo-sympathy-for-them-ldquo-not-rational-in-today-rsquo-s-world-rdquo/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Suffolk Law School Prof On US Military: They’re “Killers”
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 10:19:02 AM »
colonialism is how man and beast alike work.  since the beginning of time, to the end.

toss the morals out the window, nobody here would change a thing.  you woudln't end the wetwork our govt does, if it meant you were living in a hut too.

you can deny it if it makes you feel cleaner when holding your bible.

but it is, what it is.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 10:19:55 AM »
colonialism is how man and beast alike work.  since the beginning of time, to the end.

toss the morals out the window, nobody here would change a thing.  you woudln't end the wetwork our govt does, if it meant you were living in a hut too.

but it is, what it is.

Now we know why this idiot has an audience. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 10:28:57 AM »

come on BB, you know there's a prety big conflict when "Pre-emptive overthrows" meet your 10 Commandments.

We're all glad that our govt assrapes other nations for their resources and positions.  THose advantages make our country more comfy to live.

Whatever makes you sleep well, bro.  To each his own. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 10:42:09 AM »
Bum - think of all the innocent children that are killed in war

Even worse than actual fully formed human beings, think of all the pregnant women that get killed in war.   Not only are we killing innocent human beings but we're also killing innocent fetuses.    If nothing else, I know you are against killing a fetus under any circumstance........righ t?   I mean it's easy enough to ingore the killing of innocent people but killing a fetus is a whole other ballgame.   Don't tell me jesus makes an exception for killing a fetus during a time of war.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
How would Jesus have voted on pre-emptively bombing Iraq for WMD that didn't exist?

Remember, the UN team in saddam's personal palace bathrooms looking for WMD?  Never found a thing.

Would Jesus have said "Look, we didn't find anything, ,he let us look everywhere, but we should bomb anyway?"

Nope.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 10:46:03 AM »

lol

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 10:48:05 AM »
How would Jesus have voted on pre-emptively bombing Iraq for WMD that didn't exist?

Remember, the UN team in saddam's personal palace bathrooms looking for WMD?  Never found a thing.

Would Jesus have said "Look, we didn't find anything, ,he let us look everywhere, but we should bomb anyway?"

Nope.

I'm pretty sure Jesus is OK killing fetuses for oil

It's in the New Testament somewhere

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 10:48:44 AM »

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 10:59:51 AM »
You're "lol'ng" your own quote?

::)

he's probably nervously chuckling too.

I grew up in catcholic school, I remember the moral guilt issues.  So I can't really hate on beach bum.  It's really an uncomfortable way to feel all day - the belief that if you support the wrong thing in your head, you'll be stabbed by a guy with a pitchfork forever.

That bible vs. neocon thing is one of the most interesting issues of our time.  It's the people who supposedly love God, love the Bible, love others - that are supporting pre-emptive war.  So they invent the threat- like WMD - as justification.  If they just said "Saddam is messing with the dollar, Kadaffi is trying to intro his own gold currency, we gotta take them out" - It would be harder for religious people to agree with killing people with bombs.

Such is life.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 09:22:19 AM »
*APPLAUSE*

Law Professor Quits Job After Colleague Calls Care Packages for U.S. Troops 'Shameful'
Published November 22, 2011
FoxNews.com

Lawson & Weitzen LLP/MyFoxBoston.com
U.S. Army Reserve Maj. Robert Roughsedge, above, cut ties with Suffolk University in response to fellow law professor Michael Avery's e-mail declaring it "shameful" to send care packages to American soldiers.

A law professor who is serving overseas in Afghanistan has quit his job at a Massachusetts university after a colleague sent out a controversial e-mail declaring it "shameful" to send care packages to U.S. troops.

U.S. Army Reserve Maj. Robert Roughsedge cut ties with Suffolk University in Boston in response to fellow law professor Michael Avery's defamatory e-mail regarding troops fighting overseas, Fox affiliate WFXT-TV reports.

Avery criticized a school-wide drive to collect supplies for soldiers overseas, writing in an email to colleagues: "I think it is shameful that it is perceived as legitimate to solicit in an academic institution for support for men and women who have gone overseas to kill other human beings."

Roughsedge, who worked as an adjunct professor at Suffolk University, has been serving in Afghanistan since last December. He is expected to return home next month.

Avery, who specializes in constitutional law, also wrote that sympathy for American troops in harm's way is "not particularly rational in today's world."

In response to Avery's email, Roughsedge submitted his letter of resignation on Monday, telling WTXF in a telephone interview that the e-mail is "hate speech."

"It’s basically like a 5-year-old throwing a temper tantrum," he told the station. "That is not how we teach our students to rationally look at the issues…We want rational adult discourse and that is not something I would tolerate in my class and it is not something the school should tolerate from one of its professors."

Roughsedge was a member of the adjunct faculty at Suffolk University for eight years and taught a popular course on terrorism and the law. He left for Afghanistan in Dec. 2010 and is expected to return home to New Hampshire next month.

The university has since been inundated with complaints from students and alumni, claiming Avery's view is not representative of the school community.

Suffolk University president and provost Barry Brown issued a statement last week saying the school supported the "free exchange of ideas and robust debate" and respected the "right of our faculty members to exercise academic freedom."

But, Brown said, "As a diverse community, no one opinion or perspective is representative of the views of the whole community."

The school also said it has a proud history of supporting servicemen and women and that the care package drive is receiving a lot of support.

Click for more on this story from MyFoxBoston.com

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/22/law-professor-quits-job-after-colleague-calls-care-packages-for-us-troops/

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 01:08:17 PM »

but it is, what it is.

This is why I like you.  Most people here can't face reality. 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 01:09:35 PM »
prety big conflict when "Pre-emptive overthrows" meet your 10 Commandments.

;D

THIS

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 02:12:51 PM »
*APPLAUSE*

Law Professor Quits Job After Colleague Calls Care Packages for U.S. Troops 'Shameful'
Published November 22, 2011
FoxNews.com

Lawson & Weitzen LLP/MyFoxBoston.com
U.S. Army Reserve Maj. Robert Roughsedge, above, cut ties with Suffolk University in response to fellow law professor Michael Avery's e-mail declaring it "shameful" to send care packages to American soldiers.
[/b]

Sorry, not buying it.  Your co-worked says something bad, so you quit your job?

methink he was on the way out or unhappy already - and decided to use this as a reason.

"My dickhead co-worker said something i don't like, so I'm quitting my job.  But I'm also auditioning to be a fox guest host, and my contract wasn't getting renewed at the college anyway" sounds more likely.  We've all had idiot co-workers, and we don't quit our jobs over it.  If it's the boss, that's one thing.  But co workers?