Author Topic: Good animal charities  (Read 2556 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Good animal charities
« on: November 22, 2011, 10:13:34 PM »
Does anybody know of some good animal charities I could donate money to?  Preferably someone who helps sick or abused animals?  I know there is the ASPCA and the local humane society, maybe we can get a nice list going in this thread!  gh15 might know, can somebody bring his attention to this thread?  I don't think he leaves the G&O. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Good animal charities
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 07:22:48 AM »
Just an FYI:
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=361954.0

WARNING:  THE HUMANE SOCIETY OF THE UNITED STATES IS NOT THE SAME AS YOUR LOCAL HUMANE SOCIETY.
Excerpts from article link posted below:

"The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) is a radical animal rights group that inaccurately portrays itself as a mainstream animal care organization. The words “humane society” may appear on its letterhead, but HSUS is not affiliated with your local animal shelter. Despite the omnipresent dogs and cats in its fundraising materials and television commercials, it’s not an organization that runs spay/neuter programs or takes in stray, neglected, and abused pets. And quite unlike the common image of animal protection agencies as cash-strapped organizations dedicated to animal welfare, HSUS has become the wealthiest animal rights organization on earth.

HSUS is big, rich, and powerful. While most local animal shelters are under-funded and unsung, HSUS has accumulated $162 million in assets and built a recognizable brand by capitalizing on the confusion its very name provokes. This misdirection results in an irony of which most animal lovers are unaware: HSUS raises enough money to finance animal shelters in every single state, with money to spare, yet it doesn’t operate a single one anywhere."

clip

"There is an enormous difference between animal “welfare” organizations, which work for the humane treatment of animals, and animal “rights” organizations, which aim to completely end the use and ownership of animals. The former have been around for centuries; the latter emerged in the 1980s, with the rise of the radical People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). "

clip

"Buried deep within HSUS’s website is a disclaimer noting that the group “is not affiliated with, nor is it a parent organization for, local humane societies, animal shelters, or animal care and control agencies. These are independent organizations … HSUS does not operate or have direct control over any animal shelter.”

Read the whole article here:
http://www.activistcash.com/organization_overview.cfm/o/136-humane-society-of-the-united-states

----------

Your local shelters and Humane Societies are a good place to start.  Do you have an organization that has animals in foster homes while they search for their forever homes?  Those can be good.  As with all charities, do some research to make sure your money goes to the cause you support....and thank you for contributing :)

R

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 10:15:24 AM »
Thanks for your reply, it sounds like my local small animal shelter would be a good place to start. Im not anywhere close to rich but i donate some money to a few of my favorite human charities so i thought i should give to the four legged people as well.

My couunty animal shelter has a program where its lime foster care for pets. You take care of them temporary while their special needs are addressed then eventually are adopted out. Would like to do that some day but live in an apartment right now so i cant.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 03:39:39 PM »
The Humane Societies around here always have a "wish list" for needed items like:

Latex gloves (Small, Medium and Large)

Zzzero Cleaning supplies

Vacuum cleaner (new please)

Saline eyewash for emergencies

Avery 5689 Laser White Postcards - 200 cards in a box

Fabuloso Floor Cleaner

Post-It notes (all sizes)

Large Paperclips

Small Paperclips

Postage Stamps

Plastic Clipboards 9" x 12"

White Card Stock

Toilet paper

Band Aids

Plastic Spray Bottles

Laundry Detergent

Tall Kitchen Garbage Bags

33 Gallon Garbage Bags

Paper Plates

Dish soap

Qtips

"Wooden handle" Qtips

GBC thermal laminating pouches-letter size (9x11 1/2 - can get at Office Max)

Paper Towel

Bleach

Permanent Markers

White Out

Clorox Wipes

Yellow Dot Stickers

Blue Dot Stickers

2 needed - 8 Gallon Shop Vac

Filing cabinet, five-drawer, putty color

Projector

6-8 Person Picnic Table (plastic preferred)

Water Softener Salt

C-Fold Hand Towels for Dispensers

Single Fold Hand Towels for Dispensers

Gift Cards (Walmart, Office Max, Fleet Farm, Menards, Gas Cards, Friends of Nature Pet Store)

Expandable File Folders (letter size - see link)

Toner for printers:

Empty Peanut Butter Jars - Not washed with the lid on (Why would we want these you ask? Check this out!)

Purina Dog Chow

Purina Puppy Chow

Small Bites Food

Puppy Mush (see recipe)

Easy Cheese

Hot Dogs

Braunschweiger

Dog Leashes (not the retractable kind)

The Pet Corrector (for help with correcting unwanted behaviors)

Pig Ears

Non-Scoopable Cat Litter (we always need litter)

Grain Free Cat dry food (for cats with special dietary needs)

Purina Kitten Chow

Purina Cat Chow

Canned Cat Food (loaf style only)

Feliway Spray

KMR

Cat Toys

Small Animal Needs:

Aspen Bedding (can get at Fleet Farm - called Horse Cubes)

Timothy Hay

Rat Blocks

Gerbil/Hamster Food

Small Rodent Pet Bedding (any color)

Rodent Toys

If you're out shopping and see these items on sale or clearance, it's also a nice way to help out.  Check with your local shelter and see what they need.  The shelters nearest me are "well-funded", but the ones in outlying areas need a lot of "basics".
:

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 07:40:02 AM »
Thanks for your reply, it sounds like my local small animal shelter would be a good place to start. Im not anywhere close to rich but i donate some money to a few of my favorite human charities so i thought i should give to the four legged people as well.

My couunty animal shelter has a program where its lime foster care for pets. You take care of them temporary while their special needs are addressed then eventually are adopted out. Would like to do that some day but live in an apartment right now so i cant.

I think if I did foster care for dogs I'd probably end up trying to keep them all!
R