Author Topic: Thanksgiving Traditions  (Read 1436 times)

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
Thanksgiving Traditions
« on: November 24, 2011, 05:31:28 AM »
I'm sitting here eating a steak biscuit from Hardee's (Carl's Jr. for those of you out west) and listening to Arlo Guhtrie's classic "Alice's Restaurant."  Later, we'll all go to Golden Corrall for the buffett (no cooking and no dishes), then go home and watch football, and watch everyone except me get plastered (I don't drink) and then back to the gym tomorrow.
~

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
Re: Thanksgiving Traditions
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 11:20:02 AM »
We don't do Thanksgiving is it the 28th? in England although I grew up across the pond there and know all about it.

It's too close to Christmas don't you think and who wants to eat that much Turkey?  We've just done Halloween and Diwali and that other Eidee Festie.

In Britain we do Harvest Festival in September, where we give food (seasonal produce and cans of beans) to the Church and they distribute it to the needy?  Is that the same as Thanksgiving?

take care
xLinda
London England

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 01:56:53 PM »
We don't do Thanksgiving is it the 28th? in England although I grew up across the pond there and know all about it.
It's too close to Christmas don't you think and who wants to eat that much Turkey?  We've just done Halloween and Diwali and that other Eidee Festie.
In Britain we do Harvest Festival in September, where we give food (seasonal produce and cans of beans) to the Church and they distribute it to the needy?  Is that the same as Thanksgiving?
take care
xLinda
London England

Thanksgiving is always the fourth Thursday in November, so the date can occur any time between 11/22-11/29

I agree about turkey.  Although it is traditional, not everyone restricts himself or herself to turkey (which is why I love going to a restaurant so that I can choose something else).
~

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 02:01:50 PM »
To continue...Thanksgiving has a controversial history but it has evolved (ideally) into a day to reflect upon all we are thankful for.  Of course, this ideal isn't always realized.   >:(

Many churches (including my humble Anglican parish) regularly participate in local food distribution charities, but many folks use Thanksgiving to volunteer at local soup kitchens (the cyncial side of me notes that many of these people show up on Thanksgiving and Christmas, when TV cameras are there, but are nowhere to be found any other day of the year).
~

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 03:13:54 PM »
I'm sitting here eating a steak biscuit from Hardee's

Oh God if I still lived in America I'd be so massive fat.

xL

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 10:29:52 AM »

I suggest that your traditions are too close to Christmas?  What is that thing you did with the turkey yesterday? or on the 28th?  or is it the 3rd Thursday?

We've still got on the news here on the following Wednesday "after the holidays" when talking of America.  Did you have a massive holiday?  You're all screwed up timewise, you're always either 5 or 8 hours behind. 

Did you know that Brazil Sao Paulo is only 2 hours behind GMT?  I didn't know that, you learn something every day.  They're maybe doing fireworks or dressing up or something safe, they're praying, not overeating...

s'funny
xL

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 01:37:11 PM »
I suggest that your traditions are too close to Christmas?  What is that thing you did with the turkey yesterday? or on the 28th?  or is it the 3rd Thursday?
xL

We do seem to have a crowded calendar at the end of the year. 

Thanksgiving is 4th Thursday in November.  While turkey is a traditional meal for the day, I prefer other fare.
~

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 04:18:13 PM »

Today in last week's Spectator Magazine (a Tory chronicle with only the best correspondents) I read of a Jewish woman writing about her ordering of a "Kosher Suckling Pig" for Christmas.  Is this possible or was she having a laugh?

?

no such thing, right?, She was taking the Mickey?
let me know

madly xL

I prefer the flaming pudding afterward, having made sure everyone else gets enough meat. 

please tell me there is no such thing as a religiously blessed suckling pig which those of a certain persuasion will actually eat?  I'd thought it was verboten.

sausages and bacon, I know they have a go at them just to try it out.  But a Kosher Suckling Pig?

gimme strength Lord

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 05:31:32 PM »

Today in last week's Spectator Magazine (a Tory chronicle with only the best correspondents) I read of a Jewish woman writing about her ordering of a "Kosher Suckling Pig" for Christmas.  Is this possible or was she having a laugh?

?

no such thing, right?, She was taking the Mickey?
let me know

madly xL

I prefer the flaming pudding afterward, having made sure everyone else gets enough meat. 

please tell me there is no such thing as a religiously blessed suckling pig which those of a certain persuasion will actually eat?  I'd thought it was verboten.

sausages and bacon, I know they have a go at them just to try it out.  But a Kosher Suckling Pig?

gimme strength Lord

I think she's just taking the piss.
~