Author Topic: Victor Richards - guy was big in the 80s  (Read 37673 times)

Jav

• Getbig III
Re: Victor Richards - guy was big in the 80s
« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2011, 04:58:09 PM »
Victor Richards made a good choice in not competing, he didn't get tangled up in the bullshit between alot of the pro's that you see today. The IFBB didn't need Vic to survive and Vic didn't need the IFBB to survive. He probably made the same sort of living as a pro without having to do all the depressing shit like nearly killing himself a week out from shows and he kept the happiness in his training and you can't blame a man for that. Alot of people seem bitter that he went off and did his own thing, dunno why  ??? Its not like he was taking anyone Place in the magzines week in, week out!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2011, 05:06:10 PM »
Victor Richards made a good choice in not competing, he didn't get tangled up in the bullshit between alot of the pro's that you see today. The IFBB didn't need Vic to survive and Vic didn't need the IFBB to survive. He probably made the same sort of living as a pro without having to do all the depressing shit like nearly killing himself a week out from shows and he kept the happiness in his training and you can't blame a man for that. Alot of people seem bitter that he went off and did his own thing, dunno why  ??? Its not like he was taking anyone Place in the magzines week in, week out!

if thats the case then it's like Bob said, he's not really a pro.

Jav

• Getbig III
« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2011, 05:13:51 PM »
if thats the case then it's like Bob said, he's not really a pro.

Yeah I agree and Vic Richards would probably agree too. Not sure if he's ever tried to big himself up as a pro has he  ???  I think the real agruement is, would he have done well as a pro??? Yeah i think he would

slate

• Getbig IV
Re: big show friday night IFBB PRO LEGEND VICTOR RICHARDS........
« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2011, 05:15:28 PM »
Yes...and the Rory (Liedelmeyer) thing was just some interesting trivia.

well while you are still a right wing bigot, i must confess that I respect your frankness on this

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2011, 06:45:25 PM »

Richards kept running his mouth about the pros who were competing and how they were too narrow or didn't have this or that. They got sick of it and basically called him a coward. Weider all but picked him up and put him on the Olympia stage. But, Richards always had an excuse.

The gist seems to be that his ego can't take getting beat by smaller but ripped competitors (i.e. his tantrum after losing to Gaspari).

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
Re: VICTOR RICHARDS
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2011, 06:48:45 PM »
very original thread! never been discussed here before

#

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2011, 08:11:02 PM »
I gotta admit that i am proud of the dude for bucking the establishment and doing things his own way....I'm sure that he's made some good change from guest posing and seminars plus personal appearances....and since he got paid then you can make an argument that he is a "pro"

freakycalves20

• Getbig III
« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »
ANOTHER THREAD BY DA 2000 VIEW PLUS STRONG :)   

http://HTTP://WWW.BLOGTALKRADIO.COM/dashow

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2011, 08:25:01 PM »
ANOTHER THREAD BY DA 2000 VIEW PLUS STRONG :)   

http://HTTP://WWW.BLOGTALKRADIO.COM/dashow

Big deal. You got his bio wrong. What does that say for the host?

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
Re: VICTOR RICHARDS STATS ... BIG MOTHER FUCKER
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2011, 08:38:16 PM »
Does anybody actually believe any of these measurements?

Dude was big. Never seen him in person but judging by pictures his head and neck look as wide as a fire hydrant and he has definite signs of "bull like" genetics. Looks to me like a big mother fucker easily capable of holding 320- 330lbs of mass year round, just like the wizard with the glasses.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: November 26, 2011, 09:22:05 PM »
Its an interesting question. However Bobby Jones(golfer) won 7 major championships but never turned professional. Saying something like "sports are a hobby not a profession". He quit competing at the age of 30. And became a lawyer and helped build the great Augusta National golf course. The dude is one interesting mofo.
That was a long time ago and you sir know your sports history but the analogy still fails.
Bobby Jones competed in and won several major chamionships while Victor never even competed in any major contest.
The Jones comparison would only work if Victor won the OLympia and told the promoter to keep the prize $$ or gave it to charity.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2011, 09:23:04 PM »

Not quite...Its obvious youve never competed, because you still cant see the obvious.

I was never trying to "play the system"...I was trying to EARN a pro card....by beating the BEST, not back-dooring my way to one by "playing the system", getting the second pro card, getting it from the Masters div...etc.

What made the card valuable was the fact that I did it...legitimately...by winning not just my class, but the OVERALL title...nothing was handed to me, gifted to me, or made up for me.  Vic Richards never faced ANYONE...just some ficticious show, against a bunch of guys who had never seen the inside of a gym...which gave him ZERO respect.  

That said...if you never step on stage to COMPETE as a Pro, then youre not a pro, simple as that...all he was, was "Pro eligible"...as he was never granted a card, and never competed....

kind of like having your lerners permit to drive, but not passing the test...you STILL dont own a valid drivers license...

Well said Chick.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: November 26, 2011, 09:25:19 PM »
I always felt he was huge and impressive. The simple truth is the guy was never a pro bodybuilder nor di her ever compete in any major contest against top bodybuilders. THUS, he is a myth not an actual pro.

BIG DUB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #138 on: November 26, 2011, 09:29:38 PM »
I loved the interview trevor smith did with him. ;)

The Early Days (by Trevor Smith)

The Early Days (by Trevor Smith)

O.K. O.K…..we all know that some of the biggest and freakiest men ever to compete in the

sport are names such as Nasser El Sonbaty, Dorian Yates, Jean Pierre Fux, Marcus Ruhl and

Greg Kovacs. In fact, Muscle Mag International and in particular it`s supplement company

Muscle-Tech, would have all believe that Greg Kovacs is the largest bodybuilder ever to

step on a competitive stage. Now while that may be the case going by sheer numbers—Gregg

is around 6`3" and competes between 320 and 330lbs—for my money, the most insane mass freak

I have ever laid eyes on in my entire life is someone who never stepped foot on an I.F.B.B.

stage. That man is Victor Richards. I was fortunate enough to have an opportunity to speak

with this man who is admittedly a bit of a recluse, to gain an insight into how he got

started in bodybuilding, what his beliefs are and what he thinks of the current superstars.

TS: Hello Vic, I have to tell you I didn`t think I was going to be able to track you down…

after all you have been all but absent in the sport since 1994.

What have you been up to lately?

VR: Basically I just got tired of all the politics and bullshit within the sport.

My heart was not in it anymore, so I decided to take some time away to focus on my

education and some business ventures.

TS: Why don`t we do this Vic, tell everyone how you got started in bodybuilding.

VR: It was actually a bit of an accident. Back in 1982 I was playing football in high school

and never touched a weight, yet at 15 years of age I was already 215 pounds and strong as

an Ox. All my friends thought I was some sort of freak of nature because while they were

busy hitting the weights to get stronger for football, I spent my time doing other things.

Yet whenever there was a strength challenge, I always came out on top. One day a bunch of

my friends and I took a trip down to Venice beach, basically to catch some waves and see

the girls in bikinis. While we were walking around the Venice beach walk, this bodybuilder

stopped me and asked me who I was and what I competed in. When I told him I did not even

work out, He couldn`t believe it. He asked me my age and was shocked when he found out

I was only 15. He said: "Kid, right now in your shape you would whip every teenagers ass

in any competition, you got to come see Gold`s Gym with me" So off we went.

TS: And what was that like

VR: Well I remember going into the gym and seeing all this bodybuilders flexing and staring

at themselves in the mirror, walking around without shirts on.

The guy who brought us there was pointing different people out saying

"That`s Mr. America…..see over there, that`s Mr. Universe and over there that`s Mr.

World" and so on.

TS: What did you say to him when he was pointing out all the champions to you at that time.

VR: Actually I did not give a shit about any of those ego filled guys and told him I did not

care and was not impressed. After he went through his litany of who`s who,

I just wanted to know one thing.

TS: And what was that?

VR: Who in the hell the two animal twin brothers where in the back corner bench pressing 500lbs.

wearing overalls, flannel shirts and work-boots. To me I never saw anything like them in my

whole life. At that moment I knew that was what I wanted…Not to look in the mirror at

myself, but to train with the passion and intensity of those two monsters.

TS: I assume you are talking about David and Peter Paul……The Barbarian Brothers?.

VR: Exactly, I was totally awe struck. But it gets better. Right after I pointed them out,

One of them yells over in a mean growl: "Hey you!" I thought, rather I hoped he was talking

to one of my friends, but I soon realized it was me he was pointing to. I said yes in a very

nervous manner and he barked back something about me having what it takes to train with them and to come over there.

I could not believe it. And that is how I got my start in bodybuilding. Back in 1982 at the

age of 15, I began training with the Barbarian brothers.

TS: Damn, they were the shit back then, that must have been really exciting,

how did you like the training?

VR: It was exactly what I needed. To them training was about the moment, a spiritual quest

between you and yourself, no mirrors, no crowds, no applause. Training was sacred and

training was hard and training was heavy. Within a few years I had gotten so big and strong,

that I actually surpassed both David and Peter in terms of size and strength.

TS: That is pretty amazing, what else was going on there at that time

VR: Well after I was training there for about a year, I remember seeing this guy walk in

and everyone was crowding around him because he had just won the Mr. America.

Now I had seen a lot of the professionals throughout the year, but this guy was different,

I never had seen a bodybuilder as freaky looking as him before. So, like a little kid,

I ran up to him to ask him some questions and that`s when I got my first sour taste of the

sport…..The Bad Attitudes. As soon as I opened my mouth, he turned to me and screamed for

me to get away from him and not to disturb his training. Now I can understand if he would

have said "Son, I cannot be disturbed when I am training, but I will be happy to answer

your questions when I am finished" But instead he humiliated me in front of the whole gym,

and I left very embarrassed and upset.

TS: Who was that bodybuilder?

VR: Tim Belknap

TS: Did you ever see him after you made a name for yourself and tell him about how he

treated you?

VR: Strangely enough about a year later, I had made such tremendous progress and started

making a big name for myself, so one day in Gold`s, he came up to me and was super nice

and said "Hey Vic, man you look amazing, what are you doing to get so big" or something

to that effect.

TS: What did you say?

VR: I said, you don`t remember me do you? He was confused and so I told him about what

happened last year and he was backpedaling saying that he didn`t remember doing that and

that he was sorry. To me I could have embarrassed him and evened the score, but that would

have only brought me to his level. He knew I had surpassed him in terms of his physique

and that was enough for me.

TS: That`s a pretty funny story. It amazes me how guys who nobody knows who the fuck

they are 5 miles out of Venice Beach California, have the attitude of overpaid actors and

actresses or overpaid football players. It is a shame that they don`t realize in the

greater scheme of things they are as insignificant as a spec of flea shit on the back

of a fly feeding on the rotted carcass of a sewer rat.

VR: Right, that is one of the things I hate about the sport. The backstabbing,

the politics, the attitudes. It is just not my thing. All I care about or ever

cared about is training. To me training is like meditation.

I can focus on my inner self and do not have to worry about judges or anyone else

for that matter.

TS: Well Vic, I remember reading about you for the first time in 1987….

I think then you were like 280lbs. when everyone else was 240-250…How come you didn`t

compete then

VR: Well you have to understand, I did two competitions as a teenager

(one of them against Rich Gaspari who was 2 years older than me) and after my second

competition, which I won, I remember walking into the parking lot carrying my trophy

and having it literally fall apart in my hand because it was such a piece of shit.

At that point I thought to myself, "All this hard work for a trophy that can`t even

stay in one piece" So I decided to just get totally enveloped in my training and get

as big as I could

TS: Well you certainly did that….There was talk in the late 1980`s and early 1990`s

that you were going to enter the NPC USA CHAMPIONSHIPS. In fact I remember waiting in

anticipation to see you come out on stage and dwarf everyone on stage.

Why did that never happen. I mean, you were doing a lot of guestposing for the MUSCLEMANIA

shows and I think you were hitting the stage at a pretty hard 292lbs. Remember this is back

when Haney was doing his last Olympia at 243lbs. and Dorian was coming on at 240lbs.

So to me I thought you would crush a hell of a lot of people seeing how you were outweighing

everyone by 40 or 50 lbs.

VR: This is pretty interesting. You see, bodybuilding is all about power and control.

The competitors are nothing but pieces of meat to the powers that be.

I was getting a lot of guest posing work for NPC sanctioned shows,

and the powers that be felt it was unfair that I was not an NPC athlete.

Basically they were putting pressure on the promoters not to allow me to guest pose.

I felt they were trying to get me to compete in the NPC for the sole purpose of making me

look like a fool on stage.

TS: How would they do that if you came into a show in shredded condition 50 pounds heavier

than your nearest competitor?

VR: Oh come on, do you really think that the best man wins? I was not going to be made a

fool even if for only one show. Nobody was going to force me to compete

TS: Then how come you competing in the Nigerian Championships to get your Pro-Card in 1992?

VR: That is a funny story. You see, after the heads of the NPC and the IFBB were putting

pressure on promoters to not hire me for guest posings, I simply went over to Europe and

made a killing. Their power was not immediately felt over there. However,

it wasn`t long before I started to feel their wrath, and even the guest posings over

there began being cancelled due to fear of reparations from the powers that be.

It was around this time that I had gotten a contract with Joe Weider—who is really a

great guy—and even Joe was getting a lot of pressure for me to have to compete.

Everyone thinks that Joe controls the sport, but he really doesn`t.

There are a lot more powerful people behind the wheel.

TS: So Joe told you that you had to compete in the Nigerian Championships to keep your

contract?

VR: No, Joe just said that I needed to compete and get my pro card.

Now obviously, the powers that be, thought I would have to due the NPC Nationals,

North American, or the USA to get my pro card, and this would be their chance to teach me a

lesson. Except they forgot one small detail.

TS: Which was?

VR: I held duel citizenship in both the USA and in Nigeria.

So I simply flew down to Nigerian and did what essentially was to me, a guest posing.

Of course, I was so far ahead of the other competitors that I easily won.

I got my pro card, and of course got to keep my contract….for a while anyway.

TS: That is a pretty funny story. Of course I have no way of confirming if it is true,

but it is pretty funny if it is. Now I would like to jump ahead to 1994.

During this time I remember flipping through my copy of Flex magazine and all of a

sudden coming to the page reporting on that years FIBO. Suffice is to say I nearly shit

my pants. To this day, I have never seen anything bigger than you were at that show.

You were 320-330lbs. and granted you were holding a lot of water, but at 5`9`` that was the

most amount of muscle I ever saw on a human being. You made Dorian look like a baby—now

in all fairness, Dorian may not have been fully loaded during that time, but I still

could not get over the size of you. I also remember that there was a lot of controversy

when you hit the stage with the other athletes. Please tell us about that time and what

the hell you did to get that freaking massive...

Continued at "FIBO 1994"....

BIG DUB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #139 on: November 26, 2011, 09:30:42 PM »
Part 2.

In part one of the Vic Richards interview we left off at the part where Vic was discussing the events surrounding the 1994 FIBO where he shocked the world with the freakiest physique ever seen on a stage.......Part 2 continues right at this point. If you have not read Part 1 of the Vic Richards interview, you will find it in the August archives under the ARTICLES section of the website

TS: That is a pretty funny story. Of course I have no way of confirming if it is true, but it is pretty funny if it is. Now I would like to jump ahead to 1994. During this time I remember flipping through my copy of Flex magazine and all of a sudden coming to the page reporting on that years FIBO. Suffice is to say I nearly shit my pants. To this day, I have never seen anything bigger than you were at that show. You were 320-330lbs. and granted you were holding a lot of water, but at 5'9'' that was the most amount of muscle I ever saw on a human being. You made Dorian look like a baby—now in all fairness, Dorian may not have been fully loaded during that time, but I still could not get over the size of you. I also remember that there was a lot of controversy when you hit the stage with the other athletes. Please tell us about that time and what the hell you did to get that freaking massive…..

VR: Yes that was the year of the big earthquake in Southern California. I was living there at that time with my family, but after the quake hit I knew I had to get the hell out of there. It scared the shit out of me thinking that my children could have been killed. So I decided to move up to Seattle. During this time things were quite hectic for me with the move, so training was really very minimal. I was scheduled to go to Fibo and I knew I had to get back into training.

TS: But that would have meant that you had only 2 months to get into shape and yet you showed up fucking enormous..your all time biggest. What on earth did you do differently.

VR: I'll get to that later.

TS: O.K. well than let's talk about what happened when you were at FIBO.

VR: Well I was standing with John Brown who is a friend of mine and we were commenting on the attitudes of some of the bodybuilders like Flex and a few others. Kevin Levrone was totally cool and respectful to me as was Dorian, but a lot of the other young guys were making comments like I was fat and out of shape and wouldn't do anything on stage. Now I was all covered up so I just laughed to myself. But John Brown kept telling me to go onstage on the last day when they have the group posedown. At first I did not want to do it…but as I heard more and more comments I figured I would have a little fun.

TS: So you weren't scheduled to be onstage

VR: No. but I went up and told the announcer that I would be joining the guys on stage and he got all excited. Anyway, after the guys were onstage, I stripped down and as I was walking out the announcer—who was speaking in German—apparently said that I was the biggest man on the planet and the un-crowned Mr. Olympia. Now I did not tell him to say that, and quite frankly didn't know what he was saying cause he was speaking German. All I know is one of the promoters who was good friends with Dorian went crazy and grabbed the microphone from the announcer and started screaming that I was a bloated water tank and could never compete against these guys.

TS: Funny….But what was the crowds reaction

VR: They went nuts…they loved it

TS: How about the other athletes.

VR: They were in total disbelief at my size. Kevin Levrone was totally cool and told me I would destroy everyone if I ever got into contest shape and that if I wanted to compete he would help me get ready.

TS: How about Dorian.

VR: I like Dorian a lot…but I saw him backstage after and his head was down and he was very solemn. I told him I did not mean to disrespect him in any way and that I thought he was a great champion. But I couldn't help but get the feeling he was dejected a bit because I was so much bigger than he was

TS: I remember one of the magazines had a small photo and I was longing to see more…but nobody ever touched the subject…it was like it never happened and yet I would think that would be big news to see you posing off against Dorian.

VR: Yeah, certain powers that be made sure that not too many pictures were published from that day.

TS: I still have that one pic of you cut out and on my wall for inspiration. But I must say again in all fairness to Dorian, he didn't look fully loaded as a few years later I saw him guest pose in N.Y. and at 300lbs. he looked fucking insane and a lot bigger than at Fibo that year with you. Now that would have been a wild posedown. Two of the biggest men in the sport. Christ through in an off season Ronnie Coleman and Nasser El Sonbaty and they would have to reinforce the fucking stage.

TS: Let's switch topics a bit. Who are some of your favorite bodybuilders from today?

VR: Well I think Dorian was great. Flex has great lines and is actually a smaller version of me. Kevin Levrone is awesome. Lee Haney was fantastic. Of course Sergio was amazing.

TS: Let me throw some names out: J.P. Fux

VR: Oh my god…what a shame what this guy did to himself. I met him years ago before he made himself look pregnant and thought he was really good. Then I met him again in Atlanta and did not recognize him

TS: Paul Dillet:

VR: Paul had the potential to be very, very freaky, but instead he will go down as just an average big man. I asked Paul to train with me when he first came out here and told him if he could rough it for a year, we would make lots of money going around guest posing together as two super-freaks. But he never did.

TS: Greg Kovacs

VR: Greg Kovacs is a nice guy, I met him a few times, but the hype around him is a joke. He is not the biggest bodybuilder on the planet. He is 6'3" and around 375 pounds in the offseason and he looks terrible at that weight…certainly not like a bodybuilder. And even if he does go up to 400lbs. he would still just look like a big ole football lineman. I am 5'10" and have weighed as much as 340lbs. But all my muscles are full and round and have shape and symmetry. I can go find a 6'8" 410lb bodybuilder, but that wouldn't mean he would look as freaky and thick and dense as I would.

TS: I know this is a touchy subject with you, but I have to ask. What are your theories on drugs in the sport?

VR: Well I get asked this all the time, and I do not like to answer because I feel I have to be responsible. I know what I am doing, but if someone thinks they can do what I do to be like me and then they hurt themselves, it becomes my fault. All I can say is there are proven medicinal uses for steroids and other compounds, which if used properly are very safe. However, the key is used properly. These days the guys are using insane amounts and using GH, and insulin as well. I would never in a million years play around with insulin or thyroid drugs either. Too dangerous. Besides if you know enough about nutrition you can effectively manipulate your own insulin levels to be very beneficial for building muscles.

TS: Alright, I ain't pulling any punches…..What drugs do you use and which ones do you feel are the most effective.

VR: Hmmm…..nice try Trevor.

TS: Alright, let me rephrase that. If a bodybuilder were to choose to use drugs, are there any that you feel are safer and more effective than others.

VR: Let me just say that I think androgen-based drugs are shit and very dangerous and hard on the system. They do nothing but bloat the hell out of a person and then when they are stopped everything is lost. A much wiser approach would be to use highly anabolic compounds. Because if used correctly they can result in lots and lots of quality muscle that stays with you for the most part.

TS: Things like equipoise and winstrol are highly anabolic

VR: Yes

TS: Well in all honesty, I cannot believe that you don't feel androgens are effective…I mean I would have guessed by your condition at fibo—very huge but also holding water—that you would find them somewhat useful

VR: I am not going to comment on my personal life for the reasons stated before. I will say, however, that there is one compound out there that is very androgenic, and very anabolic and would result in lots of muscle. But it is very toxic and dangerous and would never be used for any length of time

TS: And what compound would that be

VR: Parabolan

TS: Parabolan is probably the best drug ever produced for building muscle....problem is you can't get it anymore. You know one of the major problems I see, is that young guys coming up and in established pros, have a hard time training without the use of drugs and therefore stay on all the time. Mostly these guys never put in any time training naturally and once their cycle is done, they start to crash in size and panic. So rather than wait to clean the system and learn to train and progress naturally as well…they hop right back on a course or at the very least "bridge". Which always cracks me up because these idiots are never giving their body a break…which in the long run really hinders their progress.

VR: I totally agree. That is the problem. People don't take the time off that their bodies need. It would be wise to give the body 4-6 months of total clean time a year…..but invariable this happens with only a few. But they are the few that will be around for a long time and be healthy to boot. The other problem they have is they think drugs are the key which they are not. Nutrition and training are the keys

TS: Precisely my thoughts. Whenever I work with someone…whether a Pro or an Amateur the first thing I tell them is I have no secrets or magic bullets. Just common sense and balls to the wall effort. That is what makes the difference. K.I.S.S. This brings me to my next question. Years back you claimed that you ate a daily diet of around 30,000 kcals. Now that is fucking absurd and is more than a fucking gorilla or a lion would eat.

VR: I agree…it is totally absurd and I never said that. Well I did, but it was taken out of context, like most of the information in the magazines. I was asked what the most amount of calories I ate in a day was and I told the person conducting the interview that it was probably 30,000 but that was simply because I was eating Nigerian foods which are heavily loaded with lots and lots of fats. I never said I ate 30,000 kcals on a regular basis and certainly not from Rice, Chicken and vegetables. You have to understand I basically did everything that I wasn't supposed to in terms of playing the political angle in bodybuilding. I marched to my own beat and still had lots of fans and still made a good living and this pisses off the powers that be. So ANY opportunity to make me look like a fool and discredit me they will. But I will not be made to look like a fool. I am college educated and have a degree in psychology. Most of my family members are doctors and engineers, so there is no shortage of intelligence in my genes.

TS: Ouch! Someone's not too happy.

VR: No, I am just saying it like it is.

TS: You know what I wanted to talk with you about, was the W.B.F. Didn't they contact you and why do you think that failed so quickly?

If you want to know the answer you will have to tune in next time for part 3 of the Vic Richards interview where he discusses the W.B.F., the future of bodybuilding and the future for Vic Richards along with some of his training theories.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #140 on: November 26, 2011, 10:43:03 PM »

Not quite...Its obvious youve never competed, because you still cant see the obvious.

I was never trying to "play the system"...I was trying to EARN a pro card....by beating the BEST, not back-dooring my way to one by "playing the system", getting the second pro card, getting it from the Masters div...etc.

What made the card valuable was the fact that I did it...legitimately...by winning not just my class, but the OVERALL title...nothing was handed to me, gifted to me, or made up for me.  Vic Richards never faced ANYONE...just some ficticious show, against a bunch of guys who had never seen the inside of a gym...which gave him ZERO respect.  

That said...if you never step on stage to COMPETE as a Pro, then youre not a pro, simple as that...all he was, was "Pro eligible"...as he was never granted a card, and never competed....

kind of like having your lerners permit to drive, but not passing the test...you STILL dont own a valid drivers license...

Chick would have turned pro in 1989, he believes. But, per his account, he got robbed by this man:

I can see you losing to Morant; but how'd you lose to Zuccolotto at the Nationals?

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2011, 04:42:02 AM »
Is Victor Richards' used underwear for sale ?     ::)

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2011, 05:08:13 AM »
Chick would have turned pro in 1989, he believes. But, per his account, he got robbed by this man:

I can see you losing to Morant; but how'd you lose to Zuccolotto at the Nationals?

Morant beat me at the USA in 89, fair and square...but he lost out to Eddie Robinson for the overall anyway ( I would have lost to him as well even if I won the HW class) ....back then you had to win the overall to turn pro....

BUT...I still believe I should have beat him and won the N. American to turn pro later in the year...unfortunately, the "A" team of judges were in Rimini Italy for the Olympia which was held on the same day that year....

Troy Z was damn good....and I was competing in my 3rd pro qualifier in a year by the time the Nationals came around....a big mistake as I was burned out mentally and physically...in retrospect..I should have hung it up after the NA and focused on next years (1990) USA....

Spicoli

• Getbig III
  • People on luds should not drive
« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2011, 06:33:39 AM »
Is Victor Richards' used underwear for sale ?     ::)

www.vicsstainednics.com
Team Schering Oss NL

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2011, 11:46:28 AM »

slate

• Getbig IV
« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2011, 03:37:24 PM »
Well said Chick.

Howard, how does it feel to lick the balls of someone  who licks balls for a livin?

is it for the 'after taste'?

do you expect to be given a pro schmoe card?

there are plenty out there as you know, mostly from America Express, and you don't even have to travel to nigeria- although i am sure some nigerians can set you up with a nice AE card also.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #146 on: November 27, 2011, 04:00:05 PM »
We all think Sergio is a monster because we are comparing him to his era, same with Vic he was one of the biggest in his era at 4-6 weeks out conditioning, but Vic would get destroyed standing next to Markus Or Dennis James with the same conditioning.

Vic was big but he was just a big guy,lot of big guys get slaughtered by people 50lb lighter guys today, same as Vic getting slaughtered by Gaspari in their early days, he didn't compete because the pressure people put on him that he should win because they were basing this on his sheer size, but he knew exactly how bodybuilding worked, he wasn't stupid, he knew someone like Labrada was murdering monsters on stage, hence he was terrified of the stage so he wouldn't ruin his image

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: November 27, 2011, 04:11:57 PM »
Howard, how do I  lick the balls of someone  who works for a livin?

I do it for the 'after taste'?

I expect to be given a pro schmoe card?

there are plenty LIKE ME out there as you know, mostly from America , and you don't even have to travel to nigeria- although i am sure some nigerians can set you up with a nice boy  also.

Fixed and no thanks sweety

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #148 on: November 27, 2011, 04:22:16 PM »
We all think Sergio is a monster because we are comparing him to his era, same with Vic he was one of the biggest in his era at 4-6 weeks out conditioning, but Vic would get destroyed standing next to Markus Or Dennis James with the same conditioning.

Vic was big but he was just a big guy,lot of big guys get slaughtered by people 50lb lighter guys today, same as Vic getting slaughtered by Gaspari in their early days, he didn't compete because the pressure people put on him that he should win because they were basing this on his sheer size, but he knew exactly how bodybuilding worked, he wasn't stupid, he knew someone like Labrada was murdering monsters on stage, hence he was terrified of the stage so he wouldn't ruin his image
Pretty much spot-on I would think.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2011, 04:47:18 PM »

good post.

funny all this talk about an illegitimate pro card.  as if it took more than a single look at the guy to know he's one of the biggest ever bodybuilders... why concern yourself with titles?