Author Topic: The Getbig China photos thread.  (Read 49713 times)

basil

• Getbig IV
Re: The Getbig China photos thread.
« Reply #275 on: November 10, 2012, 07:53:44 PM »
Be carefull there,bro ;)
anything happens not as you think!

If that was the US or Canada, the cops would have had 10 rounds buried in that guy chasing the other.  lol. 

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #276 on: November 24, 2012, 08:54:19 AM »
G

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #277 on: November 24, 2012, 08:57:42 AM »
If that was the US or Canada, the cops would have had 10 rounds buried in that guy chasing the other.  lol. 
Meh. Looks like a Craigslist thingy.

/fourth class?

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #278 on: November 24, 2012, 09:02:21 AM »
Dirty hippie protestors.
G

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #279 on: November 24, 2012, 09:06:21 AM »
G

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #280 on: November 24, 2012, 09:08:26 AM »
G

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #281 on: November 24, 2012, 09:44:32 AM »
Politics aside, you seem like a squared away dude. Thanks for the pics, they're interesting. Enjoy your stay.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #282 on: November 24, 2012, 10:16:21 AM »
Politics aside, you seem like a squared away dude. Thanks for the pics, they're interesting. Enjoy your stay.
Thanks
G

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #283 on: November 24, 2012, 10:18:32 AM »
Here's a naughty girl from the Halloween party.

G

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #284 on: November 24, 2012, 10:21:45 AM »
Here's a naughty girl from the Halloween party.

Ha! Most Getbiggers would saw down the lumberjack to her left.  ;D

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #285 on: January 04, 2013, 06:34:37 AM »
 ::)
G

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #286 on: January 04, 2013, 07:00:29 AM »
 :D
G

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #287 on: January 04, 2013, 07:02:40 AM »
 ;D
G

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #288 on: January 04, 2013, 07:06:03 AM »
I spent some time in China for business back in 06 (Shanghai, Chongqing, and guangzhou) here are two pictures from my trip!

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #289 on: January 04, 2013, 07:08:23 AM »
I spent some time in China for business back in 06 (Shanghai, Chongqing, and guangzhou) here are two pictures from my trip!

Cool. I bet you got some stares.

I'm 5,10 / 180 and they tell me "you are so strong!"

Been to all of those cities except Chongqing. I live near Guangzhou, in a city called Shenzhen. Not many have heard of Shenzhen but it's nearly twice the population of Chicago.

G

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #290 on: January 04, 2013, 07:19:24 AM »
Cool. I bet you got some stares.

I'm 5,10 / 180 and they tell me "you are so strong!"

Been to all of those cities except Chongqing. I live near Guangzhou, in a city called Shenzhen. Not many have heard of Shenzhen but it's nearly twice the population of Chicago.

Oh yeah...  I'm 6 feet And at the time I was 255 lbs.... some guy kept calling me Mike Tyson!!!! Lol  but I definitely stuck out like a sore thumb there!

You are not missing much in chongqing....its mainly an industrial town, I was there visiting factories.  I've heard of Shenzen, a bunch of the components our company was buying were shipping out of the port in Shenzen.... I always assumed it was a part of Guangzhou.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #291 on: January 04, 2013, 07:20:29 AM »
Oh yeah...  I'm 6 feet And at the time I was 255 lbs.... some guy kept calling me Mike Tyson!!!! Lol  but I definitely stuck out like a sore thumb there!

You are not missing much in chongqing....its mainly an industrial town, I was there visiting factories.  I've heard of Shenzen, a bunch of the components our company was buying were shipping out of the port in Shenzen.... I always assumed it was a part of Guangzhou.
It's a thirty minute trip by high speed rail.

G

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #292 on: January 04, 2013, 07:20:38 AM »
Is it true all the Apple stuff they make for the Apple company they also sell for them self all over the world? One apple lap top for apple, one apple lap top made for China to sell.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #293 on: January 04, 2013, 07:26:09 AM »
Is it true all the Apple stuff they make for the Apple company they also sell for them self all over the world? One apple lap top for apple, one apple lap top made for China to sell.

I know this to be true of clothes, dunno about computers though.

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
  • Violence is not the answer. It is the question.
« Reply #294 on: January 04, 2013, 07:30:44 AM »
How is the Chinese food there? Does it taste like it does here in the U.S.?

What is the most expensive food item there that is cheap in the U.S...(if any)?
The answer is "yes".

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #295 on: January 04, 2013, 07:42:32 AM »

I'm not the best person to ask about Chinese food. I've actually visited the US with Chinese students for my job, and they tell me the US version usually sucks. I'm very picky about Chinese food, but I can get a good bowl of noodles here for about one US dollar.

Prices are pretty much the same when considering fast food, but a lot of American food is much more expensive either because it's imported or they know that foreigners will pay much more. For instance, a slice of cheese (at the supermarket) is about 80 cents.
G

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #296 on: January 04, 2013, 07:45:23 AM »

NO!  It tastes nothing nothing like Chinese food in the US... ain't no PF changs there lol.  I'm a big fan of American Chinese food, but I did not like the Chinese food in China at all!

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #297 on: January 04, 2013, 08:47:08 AM »
The Monolithic Fallacy
In today’s English, stereotype is a dirty word. Its connotation is so closely tied to racism that it is effectively considered a synonym. But it is ironic to see how prevalent many statements are made in the same vein when considering ideology.
The polarized atmosphere of American politics seemingly necessitates that we take a position on an issue before it even becomes prevalent. But that’s not the worst of it.
Since living overseas I’ve noticed that the misconception is self-multiplying. Perhaps you could imagine a liberal, gun-owning friend (yes, they exist) sticking up for the second amendment. But, since living in China, I’ve come to notice that many Americans (don’t worry, I’m not going to make the mistake myself of saying all) seem to think that all Chinese people are in love with their government and support it one hundred percent. That is simply not the case.
‘The government’ is a sensitive topic in China, of course. I don’t want word to get around that some foreign teacher, especially one from a country on such shaky terms with the CCP, is riling up students in an English class. I don’t feel it’s my duty to come to foreign countries and do such things, and I realize it would be totally ineffectual, less than a drop in the bucket. I’ve also got a kid on the way and put that way above any politics that isn’t life or death.
 But once a week, I teach a current events class, just general news from around the world. So often it happens that we get to talking about laws and ‘government officials’ while broaching different topics. More often than not, I find myself steering the lesson away from controversy.
Of course, these comments are just from structured classes. Too many Americans assume too much about what Chinese people know and what their opinions are on any topic. Just today, someone was telling me, he didn’t know if I had heard, but  that there was some trouble in Beijing in 1989. (I got off that topic like it was going out of style. ) I’ve cringed with segued intentions at someone telling me that ‘the Chinese soccer team was a joke and I love China but I hate the government’. ‘Oh, sorry to hear that, what are you doing this weekend?’ Was my perfect response.
If given a monolithic option, all people will naturally fall into it. When I was an exchange student in 2007 here in China, someone asked me why America invaded Iraq for oil. Without even thinking, I laughed hard. I thought it was so funny that this person didn’t realize the debate within the American spectrum, where, at the time, it was such a point of contention. It seemed such a simplified question, ignoring so many millions of different opinions, that it surely must be a joke. Now when I read so many comments from Americans, I don’t find it so humorous. I don’t mean this to sound that Americans are worse than Chinese people, because, given a free press, that’s probably the opposite. But to see all as one is now firmly a mistake in my mind.

G