Author Topic: NBA is coming back - a tentative agreement is reached  (Read 1988 times)

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
NBA is coming back - a tentative agreement is reached
« on: November 26, 2011, 01:31:30 AM »
Looks like we will have Basketball this year!  8)

NEW YORK -- NBA owners and players reached a tentative agreement early Saturday to end the 149-day lockout.

After a secret meeting earlier this week, the sides met for more than 15 hours Friday, working to try to save the season. This handshake deal, however, still must be ratified by both owners and players.

"We've reached a tentative understanding that is subject to a variety of approvals and very complex machinations, but we're optimistic that will all come to pass and that the NBA season will begin Dec. 25," Commissioner David Stern said.

NBA Lockout
The NBA lockout began on July 1, but a tentative agreement has been reached to save the season. ESPN.com Topics keeps you up to date with all of the latest on the NBA's labor situation. Topics Page »

The league plans a 66-game season and aims to open camps Dec. 9.

"We thought it was in both of our best interests to try to reach a resolution and save the game," union executive director Billy Hunter said.

The Christmas Day deadline created a sense of urgency because that schedule is traditionally a showcase for the league. This season's three-game slate was to include Miami at Dallas in an NBA finals rematch, plus MVP Derrick Rose leading Chicago into Los Angeles to face Kobe Bryant and the Lakers.

A majority on each side is needed to approve the agreement. The NBA needs votes from 15 of 29 owners. (The league owns the New Orleans Hornets.) Stern said the labor committee plans to discuss the agreement later Saturday and expects them to endorse it and recommend to the full board.

The union needs a simple majority of its 430-plus members. That process is a bit more complicated after the players dissolved the union Nov. 14. Now, they must drop their antitrust lawsuit in Minnesota and reform the union before voting on the deal.

Because the union disbanded, a new collective bargaining agreement can only be completed once the union has reformed. Drug testing and other issues still must be negotiated between the league and the players.

The settlement first was reported by CBSSports.com.

Participating in the talks for the league were Stern, deputy commissioner Adam Silver, Spurs owner Peter Holt, the chairman of the labor relations committee, and attorneys Rick Buchanan and Dan Rube. The players were represented by executive director Billy Hunter, president Derek Fisher, vice president Maurice Evans, attorney Ron Klempner and economist Kevin Murphy.

When last talks broke down, the sides were still divided over the division of revenues and certain changes sought by owners to curb spending by big-market teams that players felt would limit or restrict their options in free agency.

On Nov. 14, players rejected the owners' proposal, which included opening a 72-game schedule on Dec. 15, announcing instead they were disbanding the union, giving them a chance to win several billion dollars in triple damages in an antitrust lawsuit.

Two days later, players filed two separate antitrust lawsuits against the league in two different states. On Monday, a group of named plaintiffs including Carmelo Anthony, Steve Nash and Kevin Durant filed an amended federal lawsuit against the league in Minnesota, hoping the courts there will be as favorable to them as they have been to NFL players in the past.

Now, players will dismiss that lawsuit and get back to the business of basketball.

The previous CBA expired at the end of the day June 30. Despite a series of meetings in June, there was never much hope of a deal before that deadline, with owners wanting significant changes after saying they lost $300 million last season and hundreds of millions more in each year of the old agreement, which was ratified in 2005.

Owners wanted to keep more of the league's nearly $4 billion in basketball revenues to themselves after guaranteeing 57 percent to the players under the old deal. And they sought a system where even the smallest-market clubs could compete, believing the current system would always favor the teams who could spend the most.

Initially, the salary cap emerged as the biggest obstacle. Owners first proposed a hard cap, but players fought hard to maintain the current system that allows teams to exceed the cap through the use of various exceptions.

The league was adamant the system needed some adjustment, because the old rules gave too many advantages to teams who could afford to keep adding to their payrolls. So the league's proposals targeted the highest-spending teams, seeking to eliminate the use of the midlevel exception by teams over the luxury tax and prevent them from participating in sign-and-trade deals.
D

nosleep

• Getbig IV
  • INJECT NOW. LAUGH LATER.
Re: NBA is coming back
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 01:49:18 AM »
FUCK YA
MEDICATED BY STRANGO

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 01:51:13 AM »
FUCK YA

For this year alone (on 50-50% rev split), the players lost $280M vs. previous deal. They lost an additional $400M by not accepting deal right away.
D

nosleep

• Getbig IV
  • INJECT NOW. LAUGH LATER.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 01:53:37 AM »
For this year alone (on 50-50% rev split), the players lost $280M vs. previous deal. They lost an additional $400M by not accepting deal right away.

PLAYERS GOT PLAYED BIG TIME.

BUT WE GET A CHANCE AT ANOTHER RING.
MEDICATED BY STRANGO

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 01:54:28 AM »
I was pissed at the whole situation and wanted the seasonto be cancled but the truth is I miss basketball and home this works out. Get ready...cuz here comes Greg Oden.  :D

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 01:56:08 AM »
I was pissed at the whole situation and wanted the seasonto be cancled but the truth is I miss basketball and home this works out. Get ready...cuz here comes Greg Oden.  :D

:D :D My Pistons will stop that Asshole or his knees will naturally give out.  8) 8)

D

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 02:04:29 AM »
Dude are you familiar with the 6 million dollar man?  Well Greg Oden is him of basketball. Knees are bionic, super strong and indestructable. No living tissue in there anymore just cold hard steele (no pun intended)

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 02:46:09 AM »

Haha, American basketball players are commies these days LOL  ;D

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 08:02:51 AM »

So the players screamed and kicked, stopped working and cancelled a ton of games for what?   Did they get anything in return, or just wasted our time...       at least the league owners tried to make it more fair for the smaller teams.

On nearly every count, the deal favors the owners, who had sought an overhaul all along. The players made significant concessions, including a reduction of up to $300 million year in salaries, $3 billion over the life of the agreement.

Based on tentative agreements made earlier this month, it is expected to be a 10-year deal, the longest in N.B.A. history, with an option for either side to terminate it after six years. It will include a significant pay cut for players, along with shorter contracts, smaller raises and a more punitive tax system to rein in the top-spending teams.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: NBA is coming back - a tentative agreement is reached
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 08:05:02 AM »
And who really gives a damn about these tattooed cry babies? 

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 08:07:59 AM »
Basketball is boring...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 08:08:47 AM »
players dropped from 57 to 50% revenue.... and they're still screwing the owners.  The league has maybe 5 or 6 true stars, and the average salary is 5.1 mil?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 08:12:33 AM »
players dropped from 57 to 50% revenue.... and they're still screwing the owners.  The league has maybe 5 or 6 true stars, and the average salary is 5.1 mil?

I don't know how these teams make money.   Do the math.   If the average stadium holds say 17-20k seats and say the average ticket is $75  -  that would be $1.5 Million at the gate.  Add another 500k for consecessions and you are looking at what 2 million a game ?   They have 40 home games right?  Thats 80 Million in revenue, plus whatever they get for TV rights. 

Some of these idiots are making over 10 million a year! ! !   What kind of business model is that?   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 08:37:49 AM »
Half of the teams are losing $.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 08:57:43 AM »
These spoiled brats finally understood that they were ruining the very little that was remaining of their reputation. A bit too late...damage done, they ve exposed themselves for who they truly are once more, and stern has proved he was right again.
The incoming economic crisis must be no stranger to their sudden awakening either.

LittleJ

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 09:06:01 AM »
And who really gives a damn about these tattooed cry babies? 

My racist friend never takes a day off

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 09:07:11 AM »
These spoiled brats finally understood that they were ruining the very little that was remaining of their reputation. A bit too late...damage done, they ve exposed themselves for who they truly are once more, and stern has proved he was right again.
The incoming economic crisis must be no stranger to their sudden awakening either.

Basketball has got to be the most boring professional sport I can imagine.   Other than the last 2 minutes - the rest of the game does not matter.  

And then you have these over sized morons crying over every little thing falling on the floor etc.  

I would not go patronize one of these games if you paid me.  

sky02316

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 10:13:14 AM »

Basketball has got to be the most boring professional sport I can imagine.   Other than the last 2 minutes - the rest of the game does not matter.  

And then you have these over sized morons crying over every little thing falling on the floor etc.  

I would not go patronize one of these games if you paid me.  

NBA games are the easiest to fix too. I'm sure there are still a few officials who are in with Vegas.

L.L

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 10:22:05 AM »
fuck them,.,i hate bball

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 11:15:15 AM »
:D :D My Pistons will stop that Asshole or his knees will naturally give out.  8) 8)

If anything the Pistons will throw a rod like the Lions---right through the engine block.

AlphaMaleDawg

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 03:05:44 PM »
yea the players got robbed, but I sincerely don't give a shit. I am just thrilled that the first game of the year is knicks-celtics

NYSTATEOFMIND

• Getbig IV
  • Getbigs Reporter of perverse news
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 03:17:53 PM »
finally i have something else to do besides getbig
getbig or getgot

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 04:12:58 PM »
I was hoping the season would have been canceled so that the owners can get all of their demands, especially the hard salary cap. NBA players are ridiculously overpaid, but this was a move in the right direction.

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 04:56:12 PM »
The baseball strike is over? WHO GIVES A FUCK.

That is all.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
I was hoping the season would have been canceled so that the owners can get all of their demands, especially the hard salary cap. NBA players are ridiculously overpaid, but this was a move in the right direction.

agreed.  A bunch of overpaid things and tattooed criminals who. Are lucky not to be in lock downn.