Author Topic: Obama - FAIL.  (Read 349 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Obama - FAIL.
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:36:18 PM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

A123 Systems lays off 125 workers at Michigan battery plants (Green jobs)
Annarbor.com ^ | 11-27-2011 | Nathan Bomey
Posted on November 27, 2011 8:14:28 PM EST by Darren McCarty

Battery maker A123 Systems, which has been celebrated as one of Michigan's biggest alternative energy successes, laid off 125 workers at its Livonia and Romulus battery plants this week, according to a report by the Observer & Eccentric.

It was not immediately clear whether there were additional cuts at the company's research-and-development center Ann Arbor's Research Park, where the company has about 35 workers.

A123 spokesman Dan Borgasano told the Observer & Eccentric that the company expects "to be calling these people back in six months or less" and attributed the move to a reduced battery order from California electric vehicle startup Fisker Automotive.

A123 was one of Michigan's biggest winners of federal economic stimulus funding and also won major battery tax credits from the state government. In 2009, A123 received a $249 million grant from the U.S. Department of Energy and more than $125 million in tax credits from the Michigan Economic Development Corp.

(Excerpt) Read more at annarbor.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Obama - FAIL.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 10:17:09 AM »
658 NY school principals revolt against Obama's school policies.
Mon Nov 28th 2011, 07:05 PM

It's not just teachers anymore. Now they have been insulting and condescending to principals as well. Do you think anyone is listening yet?

Principals revolt against the testing madness

The principals were required to attend 10 training sessions apparently to listen to something so nonsensical they signed a letter of protest.

As of last night, 658 principals around the state had signed a letter — 488 of them from Long Island, where the insurrection began — protesting the use of students’ test scores to evaluate teachers’ and principals’ performance.

It is hard to overstate how angry the principals who signed are. Mario Fernandez, principal of Stillwater High School near Saratoga, called the evaluation process a product of “ludicrous, shallow thinking.”

Katie Zahedi, principal of Linden Avenue Middle School in Red Hook in Dutchess County. said the training session she attended was “two days of total nonsense.”

“I have a Ph.D., I’m in a school every day, and some consultant is supposed to be teaching me to do evaluations,” she said. “It takes your breath away it’s so awful.”

The New York Times article about the principals' revolution links to a video that was shown to the training sessions. It is without doubt the most ignorant, idiotic bit of stuff I have ever seen. We had some pretty stupid things we had to endure during in-service trainings when I was still teaching, but I think it is getting worse.

Here is the video at You Tube made by those who did the training session

The trainers at these sessions, which are paid for by state and federal grants, have explained that they’re figuring out the new evaluation system as they go. To make the point, they’ve been showing a YouTube video with a fictional crew of mechanics who are having the time of their lives building an airplane in midair.

“It was supposed to be funny, but the room went silent,” Ms. Burris said. “These are people’s livelihoods we’re talking about.”

That is how they are spending state and federal money? And they are getting away with it?

Here is more from the New York Times about the angry principals.

Principals Protest Role of Testing in Evaluations

BTW I have the article open, I can see it from various browsers. It is refusing to let me link to it, says the article is not there. You can link from the blog I posted first. Not sure what is going on. Maybe I have not bought a subscription yet?

Sometimes it works for me just as it is with no formatting here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/educatio...

Sometimes it doesn't work that way.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 10:18:45 AM »
But President Obama and his signature education program, Race to the Top, along with John B. King Jr., the New York State commissioner of education, deserve credit for spurring what is believed to be the first principals’ revolt in history.

..."Their complaints are many: the evaluation system was put together in slapdash fashion, with no pilot program; there are test scores to evaluate only fourth-through-eighth-grade English and math teachers; and New York tests are so unreliable that they had to be rescaled radically last year, with proficiency rates in math and English dropping 25 percentage points overnight.

Mr. Kaplan, who runs one of the highest-achieving schools in the state, has been evaluating teachers since the education commissioner was a teenager. No matter. He is required by Nassau County officials to attend 10 training sessions, as is Carol Burris, the principal of South Side High School here, who was named the 2010 Educator of the Year by the School Administrators Association of New York State.

“It’s education by humiliation,” Mr. Kaplan said. “I’ve never seen teachers and principals so degraded.”

There is an absolutely amazing paragraph in the comments section.

It's wonderful that principals and administrators are banding together but the unwillingness of the state to listen to a single word is just what you'd expect. This isn't about improving schools. It's about seizure of power and control from the top down. They could have an evaluation system that said, "If a teacher touches her right earlobe she passes," and as long as they called it' value added' and 'data driven' they would keep it because it's about the system ITSELF, not the scoring, not the evaluation.

A little wordy, but right on the button. It is not about keeping "good" teachers, it has nothing to do with teachers per se. It is about turning education into something that is cheaper to run and more profitable to corporations.

And there is no one even attempting to stop it.
Discuss (43 comments) | Recommend (+95 votes)

http://journals.democraticunderground.com/madfloridian/8234

LMFAO - Beyond laughable.  these tools all voted for this asshole.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 06:27:06 AM »
http://www.thestreet.com/tsc/common/images/pdf/Omega%20Advisor1.pdf

BOOM!!!!!   I bet this guy actually voted for the Obamunist too.