Author Topic: Can we say 20gr Amino powder=20gr Protein powder  (Read 3548 times)

max_rep1975

• Getbig I
Can we say 20gr Amino powder=20gr Protein powder
« on: December 02, 2011, 08:25:31 AM »
as title says that are they equal.i am not comparing amino acid profile or digestion time.
just gram for gram comparing

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Can we say 20gr Amino powder=20gr Protein powder
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 07:16:10 PM »
No.
Amino acids are component (smaller) parts of proteins.
The labels on some cannisters of protein powder will document how many grams of certain aminos are in a serving.

Many powders are fortified with additional aminos - particularly BCAA's.

howardroark

• Getbig IV
  • Resident Objectivist & Autodidact
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 07:52:48 PM »
Not quite... I mean, if you get 20g of BCAAs, then that is by no means a complete protein capable of sustaining protein synthesis on its own. I would say that 20g of EAAs > 20g protein powder though.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 08:24:23 AM »
Not quite... I mean, if you get 20g of BCAAs, then that is by no means a complete protein capable of sustaining protein synthesis on its own. I would say that 20g of EAAs > 20g protein powder though.

Okay, it was probably a poor choice on my part to use BCAA's as an example.
Still, the original question may be too vague to answer without specifying amino profiles AND specific protein powders - i.e. whey, soy, etc.

That information is almost necessary to draw a fair and accurate comparison between the two.

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 03:07:48 PM »
Aminos are > than Protein.

when protein enters your body it has to be broken down into amino acids in order for it to be utilized.
so if you eat 100g of protein, only a portion of that will be effectively broken down into aminos, and absorbed.  While the rest you will crap out.

Food > Protein > Aminos > Absorption

Aminos are thought to be nearly 100% absorption, since they don't require any additional digestive process to break down.

Aminos > Absorption

Its also important to note that not all amino acids are created equal.  Certain Aminos will yield greater results than others, and the prices can also vary alot.  You don't want to buy an Amino Powder just because it says it has a certain amino.  Many powders will put just enough in for window dressing, although it will provide no benefit since the grams are too low.  Aminos are not cheap, especially the good ones, so beware when you see a container of Aminos selling for almost nothing, as they are likely packing it with the cheap ones.

Make sure you do your homework on the various aminos, and understand the proper ratios, before you go out and just buy a tub because it says aminos on the label.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 11:45:32 AM »
^^^^ PROTEIN HAS A ~98% DIGESTION/ABSORBTION RATE BROHAM...
Its also important to note that not all amino acids are created equal.  Certain Aminos will yield greater results than others, and the prices can also vary alot.
::)

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 12:32:14 PM »
^^^^ PROTEIN HAS A ~98% DIGESTION/ABSORBTION RATE BROHAM...  ::)

didn't ya once reccomend the bulk of your protein to be coming from whey isolate since it has a superior amino acid profile?
l

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 11:17:54 PM »
didn't ya once reccomend the bulk of your protein to be coming from whey isolate since it has a superior amino acid profile?
not in the past couple years..   not for that reason alone.. though i do get most of my protein from whey... only because its the cheapest source of protein though... and because i cant stomach whole food first thing in the morning... if i did recommend whey protein recently it would have been for its affordability, or because its very easily digested.. taking some strain off the digetsive system and easing up calorie demands(lower TEF) making it easier to get into a suplus and gain... plus it should effect appetite less than eating an equal amount of meat protein.. so for "hard gainers" i think whey is great.. lets em eat more calories..     yes the amino acid profile is superior to everything else but thats going to make an insignificant difference 

suckmymuscle

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 08:57:33 AM »
Can we say 20gr Amino powder=20gr Protein powder

Since protein is composed of 100% amino acids, then yes, 20 grams of amino acids are equivalent to 20 grams of protein. But a protein is a molecule composed of an amalgamation of amino acids. Pure amino acids are not by definition protein. 20 grams of amino acids is equivalent to 20 grams of protein, but 20 grams of amino acids in their pure forms do not make a protein and thus cannot be categorized as such.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

chess315

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 09:16:55 PM »
imo I tend to think 20grams of good eaa will yield more results then 20gram of protein. Is it worth buying them prolly no. Bcaa I understand why they are popular but they dont make logical sense other then to save money there is no way bcaa are better then eaa containing high amounts of bcaa because eaa can cause protein systhesis bcaa's cant. I dont understand why people dont get this

jannet

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 09:41:28 PM »
Well it's essential to note that not all amino acids are created equal.  Certain Aminos will yield greater results than others, and the prices can also vary alot.  You don't want to buy an Amino Powder just because it says it has a certain amino.  Many powders will put just enough in for window dressing, although it will provide no benefit since the grams are too low.

chess315

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 01:11:20 AM »
the reason 20grams of eaa will trump 20grams of chicken or whey is chicken and whey are not all eaa. So your getting the eaa content of 35-40 grams or so.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 08:05:26 AM »
there is more to protein powder than protein... it's composed of water (like all food), protein, carbs and fats in varied proportions according to the manufacturers requirements...

there have been some studies indicating that certain amino acids stimulate the body differently... but most of these studies were completed in laboratory environments and on mice

the human digestive process does a host of interesting things to protein, depending what else is being digested at the same time, current caloric intake, etc...

my feeling has often been that a cheap whey that doesn't upset one's stomach is good enough... but these days i tend to buy isolate because it only costs about 50% more and i get more protein for less calories (currently cutting weight)

randy841

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 09:40:48 PM »
there is more to protein powder than protein... it's composed of water (like all food), protein, carbs and fats in varied proportions according to the manufacturers requirements...

there have been some studies indicating that certain amino acids stimulate the body differently... but most of these studies were completed in laboratory environments and on mice

the human digestive process does a host of interesting things to protein, depending what else is being digested at the same time, current caloric intake, etc...

my feeling has often been that a cheap whey that doesn't upset one's stomach is good enough... but these days i tend to buy isolate because it only costs about 50% more and i get more protein for less calories (currently cutting weight)

Protein is protein - too much cookie cutter bullshit out there by the likes of MuscleTech that this protein does this better and that. And the actual protein content per whey concentrate and whey isolate is not much different. Other than the 50% extra being charged.

I've used both over the years and even one or the other exclusively. No relative difference - other than a lighter wallet with Isolates. With a vegetarian diet, i tend to buy upwards of 25lb pound every 4-5 weeks. This is used simply as a supplement on top of diet. But still, i'd rather have more quantity vs. the host of Isolate claims doing this and that.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 06:34:19 PM »
Protein is protein - too much cookie cutter bullshit out there by the likes of MuscleTech that this protein does this better and that. And the actual content per whey concentrate and whey isolate is not much different. Other than the 50% extra being charged.

I've used both over the years and even one or the other exclusively. No relative difference - other than a lighter wallet with Isolates. With a vegetarian diet, i tend to buy upwards of 25lb pound every 4-5 weeks. This is used simply as a supplement on top of diet. But still, i'd rather have more quantity vs. the host of Isolate claims doing this and that.

you are correct... protein is protein... but not all protein sources have the same absorption rate...

i'm not suggesting that the absorption rate makes a huge difference... my original point was more protein per calorie in a shake (isolates have a lower carb count and fat count in their composition) and the protein is more available...

i like the info on this site:

http://www.nutribodyprotein.com/protein-bioavailability.php
http://www.nutribodyprotein.com/protein-types.php