Author Topic: Elizabeth Taylor's Jewels (I drooled)  (Read 1496 times)

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
  • thank you Ron & Getbig, I've had so much fun
Elizabeth Taylor's Jewels (I drooled)
« on: December 02, 2011, 03:57:20 PM »
I saw some of them when they were here in London, that diamond ring is utterly incredible...

from the Wall Street Journal:

"After going on display around the world, Elizabeth Taylor’s collection of jewelry and couture has finally landed at Christie’s in New York, where it will be on view at the auction house from December 3 to 16.

The range and quality of jewelry is staggering, from her 33-karat diamond ring to “La Peregrina,” a pearl that passed through the hands of Spanish and English royalty. Then there’s the diamond necklace from Michael Jackson. A massive emerald and diamond medallion necklace that Richard Burton presented to Taylor on her 40th birthday in 1972. And of course, the diamond brooch once owned by the Duchess of Windsor.

Taylor was one of the world’s foremost jewelry collectors and enthusiasts.

The exhibition her fine jewelry has been on tour around the world, drawing crowds of up to 10,000 viewers in Moscow and 8,000 in London, Paris and Los Angeles each. A portion of the sale of exhibition tickets and publications will go to the Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation.

Auctions devoted to her jewelry, couture, accessories and memorabilia will be held in individual sessions from Dec. 13-16".

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
Re: Elizabeth Taylor's Jewels (I drooled)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 04:19:08 PM »

President of Christie's America, Marc Porter, said the sale promised "to captivate the auction world". He added: "This is without a doubt the greatest private collection of jewellery assembled in one place."

Taylor's obsession with jewellery is well-chronicled. Her twice-husband Richard Burton said: "I introduced Liz to beer, and she introduced me to Bulgari."

If your jaw would ever drop at a piece of jewellery then it would drop at some of the gifts from Burton, not least "the Elizabeth Taylor Diamond", a 33.19 carat monster of a diamond ring that she cheerfully wore most days after being given it in 1968.

Taylor once said: "My ring gives me the strangest feeling for beauty. With its sparks of red and white and blue and purple, and on and on, really, it sort of hums with its own beautific life."

Its estimate may be a tad beyond most means – $2.5m to $3.5m.

Burton was also responsible for "It's a beautiful day, I love you" gifts and an "It's Tuesday, I love you" present of a Bulgari emerald set – necklace pendant, ring, bracelet, earrings – collected over the course of many trips to the Bulgari boutique on Rome's Via Condotti while they were filming Cleopatra. He is alleged to have claimed "the only word Elizabeth knows in Italian is Bulgari".

Then there is his 1968 Christmas present to her which she almost missed because Burton had buried it so deep in her Christmas stocking. The perfect red ruby ring is estimated at $1m to $1.5m.

Taylor always intended that her collection would go to auction. In her 2002 memoir, My Love Affair With Jewellery, Taylor wrote: "I never, never thought of my jewellery as trophies. I'm here to take care of them and to love them. When I die and they go off to auction I hope whoever buys them gives them a really good home."

The jewellery will be sold over two sessions on 14 December in New York.

It was on display at Christie's London 24-26 September.

xxxL
pwhoooooaaaaarrr

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 12:02:36 PM »

The diamond went for more than £5mill, which was twice the highest estimate.

Hope someone reading this has a surprise Christmas present they're really really looking forward to from an extremely rich lover?

xL

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 12:04:07 PM »
this title is misleading.  I though this was going to be about her boobs when she was young

xxxLinda

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 12:10:05 PM »
that'd have been on the booby board darlin', this is the girly board?

xxxL

The Mary Tudor pearl "La Peregrina" went for more than £7 million that's $11mill.

It appears that she had it re-styled at least 3 different times, so here for you on our girly board, I have googled for you 3 different pics of it worn in her bosom