Author Topic: Getting over colds / flu?  (Read 15668 times)

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
Getting over colds / flu?
« on: December 08, 2011, 03:37:58 PM »
I recently caught a nasty sinus infection.  So far just lots of rest, hot tea, juice, and not so too heavy of a diet.  Nothing hard to digest like meats, just more like rice, toast, fruit and easy to digest stuff.  So far it seems to be working.  Been one week and starting to bounce back to almost 100%.  I'll probably start light cardio (walking on a treadmill) tomorrow.   

What do you guys typically do to get over colds and flu's?  Any tricks?

:)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Getting over colds / flu?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 03:50:44 PM »
i have been sick not too bad,,but i still train around it,keep eating same ,maybe less due to fatigue.they say rest is best,,but evryones different.

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 05:31:10 PM »
Oh yeah for light colds that is what I do also.  This time it was bad though...I'm talking fever, knock you down sick.  That was what I had going on.  It sucks! 

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 05:36:18 AM »
For a basic, "common" cold, my preferred remedies are Zinc and garlic.

I like some of the OTC Zinc cold products like Zicam, etc.

The garlic really needs to be consumed raw in order for it to be effective.
The active ingredient attributed to fighting colds is Allicin, which is mostly destroyed in the cooking process.
Rather than eating raw garlic cloves, you can also buy garlic capsules, many of which supposedly contain non-denatured Allicin.

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 06:39:13 AM »
I take vitamin D3 5000iu daily, seems to help my system fight off colds. Being sick is the worst.
time under tension

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 09:14:48 AM »
For a basic, "common" cold, my preferred remedies are Zinc and garlic.

I like some of the OTC Zinc cold products like Zicam, etc.

The garlic really needs to be consumed raw in order for it to be effective.
The active ingredient attributed to fighting colds is Allicin, which is mostly destroyed in the cooking process.
Rather than eating raw garlic cloves, you can also buy garlic capsules, many of which supposedly contain non-denatured Allicin.

Garlic burps!   Yuck  :-X

Large doses of Airborne seems to always work for me.

:

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 10:08:29 AM »
I read a purely experiential remedy at lylemcdonald's forum...

Basically half a gram of Vit.C with a couple of grams of glutamine every few hours- supposedly stops the cold in its tracks.

I caught a similar sinus infection at work. Nasty stuff. Two weeks later my nose is still somewhat blocked.

Didn't stop my training though :)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 04:50:18 PM »
Garlic burps!   Yuck  :-X

Large doses of Airborne seems to always work for me.

LOL!!!
Supposedly, the capsules do not cause that problem.
I've only ever used the raw garlic, which you MUST chew, lest it "passes right through" ala corn.

Vit C is one of the active ingredients in Airborne?
I know you've touted their praise in the past.

On a side note: I know a guy down the lake who takes garlic caps every day and never has a mosquito touch him; come to think of it - neither does his wife, but I don't know if that's because of the garlic or twenty-plus years of marriage.
Maybe the main mechanism through which garlic works is it keeps people far enough away from you that you avoid their germs.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 09:49:54 PM »

LOL!!!
Supposedly, the capsules do not cause that problem.
I've only ever used the raw garlic, which you MUST chew, lest it "passes right through" ala corn.

Vit C is one of the active ingredients in Airborne?
I know you've touted their praise in the past.

On a side note: I know a guy down the lake who takes garlic caps every day and never has a mosquito touch him; come to think of it - neither does his wife, but I don't know if that's because of the garlic or twenty-plus years of marriage.
Maybe the main mechanism through which garlic works is it keeps people far enough away from you that you avoid their germs.

Not true  ;)

Yes Airborne has 100mg C plus other herbs adn vitamins.  I like the grapefruit flavor.  Lime is nasty  :-X
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 05:15:39 AM »
Yes Airborne has 100mg C plus other herbs adn vitamins.  I like the grapefruit flavor.  Lime is nasty  :-X

I thought I remembered hearing of a lawsuit against the makers of Airborne for false claims or something.
I know many people who swear by mega-dosing vit C, so maybe there's a correlation between that and your prescribed large doses of Airborne being effective.

Not true  ;)

Okay, then maybe I won't bother with them.
On the other hand, many of our patients smell worse than garlic; although "second-hand" garlic may be a more formidable contender.
 ;)

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 07:19:19 AM »
I have done garlic (eating it or blending it raw whole with juice) and vitamin C before.  It worked very well for me.  Anyone here use echinacea?  In massive doses that has worked really good too.  ;)

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 04:18:12 PM »
When I had my deviated septum fixed and tonsils taken out because of sleep apnea, the frequency of colds and flu greatly diminished.

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 08:57:26 AM »
That is weird... I thought tonsils were part of your immune system?  I thought I read that someplace, but maybe not... I dunno  ???