Poll

Should we end immigration or is it fine the way it is?

We need to end all Immigration
4 (40%)
We need to let more come, the more the merrier.
2 (20%)
It's fine the way it is now.
0 (0%)
other: post your opinion.
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Poll on Immigration Policy:  (Read 2331 times)

howardroark

• Getbig IV
  • Resident Objectivist & Autodidact
Re: Poll on Immigration Policy:
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2011, 07:14:37 AM »
Actually its because of the UN, foreign aid, illegitimate political systems and a barbaric, backward, tribal culture of corruption, rape and violence.

I would place the economy at the bottom of that list. If you lived under a repressive kleptocracy that butchers all voices of dissent and does not follow the rule of law, I think that the basic needs of survival are your primary concern-- not whether foreign investors want to spend money in your hellhole of a country. Outside of pillaging the natural resources, why would anyone want to set foot in Africa?

Why do they receive foreign aid? Because their economies are terrible. Why are their economies terrible? Because their governments intervene too much in their economies.

Why are their governments corrupt and kleptocratic? Because their governments have the discretionary power to intervene in their economies.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 07:15:38 AM »
Why do they receive foreign aid? Because their economies are terrible. Why are their economies terrible? Because their governments intervene too much in their economies.

Why are their governments corrupt and kleptocratic? Because their governments have the discretionary power to intervene in their economies.

Bingo. But that is a political issue and a cultural issue-- not an economic one.

howardroark

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 07:43:01 AM »
Bingo. But that is a political issue and a cultural issue-- not an economic one.

Then it seems that we agree that Africa sucks because their economy sucks, their economy sucks because they lack free market capitalism, and that they lack free market capitalism because their political systems suck.

But that's going off topic, isn't it? What is key to free market capitalism and thus a prosperous economy? Among other things, the free movement of all goods, including labor and capital, across the imaginary boundaries set by government.

And let me tell you, if you want America to keep it's #1 place in the world in the coming decades, you need to allow free immigration into this country. Otherwise the world balance of power will eventually shift over to the likes of China and India.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 08:44:45 PM »
Then it seems that we agree that Africa sucks because their economy sucks, their economy sucks because they lack free market capitalism, and that they lack free market capitalism because their political systems suck.

But that's going off topic, isn't it? What is key to free market capitalism and thus a prosperous economy? Among other things, the free movement of all goods, including labor and capital, across the imaginary boundaries set by government.

And let me tell you, if you want America to keep it's #1 place in the world in the coming decades, you need to allow free immigration into this country. Otherwise the world balance of power will eventually shift over to the likes of China and India.

It's a chicken/ egg argument. However, politicians dictate economic policy and culture is what generates the political system. Therefore, Africa is doomed to be a third world hell hole forever.

I strongly disagree with your assertion about China and India. China is one giant fraud. There is no rule of law, no creativity and the gap between rich and poor is astronomical. China does nothing except counterfeit, steal and copy from us.  In addition, China has a completely non transparent system of government and a monetary policy set by a bunch of shadowy elites that answer to nobody. It boggles my mind why the world is so enamored and impressed with China. If we emulated China and eliminated all environmental regulations, made unions illegal, did business in the shadiest and most dishonest way possible and bought debt from other countries instead of being debtors, China would be nothing more than a termite cowering underneath our boots.

China is a mirage that eventually will collapse beneath the weight of its own population.

India is also light years away from us in practically every respect-- although I honestly believe India is breathing down the back of our necks rather than China.

howardroark

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2011, 09:18:38 AM »
I agree that China isn't close to surpassing us in the near future. Notice I said in the next few decades. In the short-run, I think China is about to face a massive depression. However, both China and India are making the move toward free market capitalism and growing by leaps and bounds. In 50 or so years, the balance of power will shift toward them.

It's simply a matter of population. China needs 1/3rd the GDP per capita of the US in order to have the same total GDP we do.

If the US wants to stay on top, it needs to encourage more people to move here.

Besides, encouraging the migration of cheap labor, academics, scientists, entrepreneurs, businessmen, and others will do nothing but benefit the United States.