Author Topic: dmaa recall?  (Read 4224 times)

Kilo Medic

• Getbig II
dmaa recall?
« on: December 09, 2011, 10:50:38 PM »
I went to the store here on base to buy some jack3d only to find a sign that said that all products containing dmaa has been recalled by the FDA.  You guys heard anything about this? 

claymore

• Getbig IV
Re: dmaa recall?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 05:51:11 AM »
Ephedrine and caffeine is all you need, this pre-workout stuff is GARBAGE !!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 01:55:54 PM »
I went to the store here on base to buy some jack3d only to find a sign that said that all products containing dmaa has been recalled by the FDA.  You guys heard anything about this? 

In what state is your base?

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 02:57:19 PM »
in michigan we still have jack3d on the shelf all over the place

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 04:30:44 PM »
in michigan we still have jack3d on the shelf all over the place

I'm hoping it's not a trickle-down effect.
DMMA works and does offer benefits.
Of course, it's that same reason I can easily see it being yanked from store shelves. >:(

Kilo Medic

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 03:23:46 AM »
I am stationed in Japan.  I asked the office that was listed on the sign today about it.  They said that they'll get the info to me in the next couple of days.  If I see anything else, I'll post it here. 

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 07:05:58 AM »
I am stationed in Japan.  I asked the office that was listed on the sign today about it.  They said that they'll get the info to me in the next couple of days.  If I see anything else, I'll post it here. 

Yes please let us know whats happening if you can, I just got another thing of jak3d just in case it ends up being removed from shelves.....Ugghhh why does everything have to be " regulated " by the government thats ACTUALLY works?

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 09:53:58 AM »
if you like DMAA, then buy it in capsules and just add it to your favorite pre workout drink. 
If you really want the FDA to get off our backs make sure you vote for Ron Paul.  If he was to get elected there might be a day where you could buy Juice, Pre workout drinks, weed, ephedra, and coke all from the same vending machine in front of walmart.  ;D

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 11:39:46 AM »
if you like DMAA, then buy it in capsules and just add it to your favorite pre workout drink. 
If you really want the FDA to get off our backs make sure you vote for Ron Paul.  If he was to get elected there might be a day where you could buy Juice, Pre workout drinks, weed, ephedra, and coke all from the same vending machine in front of walmart.  ;D

LMAO i wish that could be true......But in this day and age thats pretty damned doubtful

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 07:21:38 AM »

I've heard of "certain politicians" wanting to implement a law requiring a Rx to obtain even a multi-vitamin.
Does Paul have an official stance on the supplement issue?
I regretfully haven't been following much regarding any of the candidates, yet.

Kilo Medic

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 03:03:37 AM »
Unfortunately the Fockers in the office that left the note on the empty shelf cannot provide anything more than a flier from their military supply office.  I was able to buy it at three marine post down the street though???  Nothing stateside from you guys?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 06:23:16 AM »
Unfortunately the Fockers in the office that left the note on the empty shelf cannot provide anything more than a flier from their military supply office.  I was able to buy it at three marine post down the street though???  Nothing stateside from you guys?

Currently, there are no indications of it being unavailable here.

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 10:15:20 AM »
Natta here bro

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 10:18:38 AM »
Natta here bro

What, you can't find it where you live?

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 11:13:22 AM »
Oh lol no i meant theres no signs of a recall sorry

Kilo Medic

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 06:38:04 PM »
Typical military over cautiousness I guess.  Thanks!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 06:43:41 PM »
Typical military over cautiousness I guess.  Thanks!

I'd like to know their reason for withholding a simple OTC pre-workout supplement from our service men & women.

And, why bullshit them with the bogus "FDA recall" story?

Kilo Medic

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 12:10:26 AM »
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/imag0099wc.jpg

Here's the note they left.  This includes a bunch of products that are normally sold there.  Their image shows all of the things they pulled.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 06:32:31 AM »
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/imag0099wc.jpg

Here's the note they left.  This includes a bunch of products that are normally sold there.  Their image shows all of the things they pulled.

Okay, thanks for posting.
I did a little digging, and here's what I found:

sources:
http://www.stripes.com/mobile/news/army-probing-connection-between-body-building-supplement-2-deaths-1.163652

http://m.newhope360.com/sports-amp-fitness-performance/dmaa-linked-death-2-us-soldiers-massive-recall-ensues

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________

CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa – The U.S. Army said it is investigating whether a popular bodybuilding and weight-loss supplement might be to blame for two soldier deaths and serious health problems in others, including liver and kidney damage.

The two soldiers suffered heart attacks and died earlier this year during physical training with their units at an Army base in the southwestern United States and the dietary supplement DMAA was discovered in their bodies following toxicology tests, according to Army spokeswoman Maria Tolleson.

The Army launched an ongoing safety review after recording a number of other serious health effects among known and potential users of products containing DMAA including “kidney and liver failure, seizures, loss of consciousness, heat injury and muscle breakdown during exertion, and rapid heartbeat,” Tolleson said in a written response to Stars and Stripes this week.

Bodybuilding and weight-loss pills and powders containing DMAA, which is widely marketed by the fitness supplement industry as geranium extract and 1,3 dimethylamylamine, were pulled from shelves at Army and Air Force Exchange Service and Navy Exchange stores around the world following a military product recall Dec. 3.

Retailer GNC and at least one maker of the products said Friday that products containing DMAA have been tested as safe and have not been linked to any other health problems.

“There is no scientific or medical evidence that demonstrates any causal link between DMAA and any adverse medical condition, let alone a death,” according to GNC spokesman Greg Miller.

All of the recalled DMAA products are supplied to GNC and its stores within military exchanges by third-party manufacturers, which have shown the retailer they are safe, Miller wrote in an email response to Stars and Stripes.

“Compared to the handful of adverse event reports recently cited by the Army, GNC has sold 440 million doses of product containing DMAA since 2007 and has not received a single serious adverse event report,” according to Miller.

DMAA is now considered a dietary supplement by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, a category of product that does not require FDA review before it is sold.

“A firm does not have to provide FDA with the evidence it relies on to substantiate safety or effectiveness before or after it markets its products,” according to the federal agency.

USPlabs, the manufacturer of the recalled supplements Jack3d and OxyElite Pro, said testing has shown its products could not be responsible for the health problems reported by the Army.

“Published, peer-reviewed clinical data says no. There are no facts that state otherwise,” USPlabs spokesman Jack Deschauer said. “Our products have undergone intense scientific, clinical studies for safety and efficacy by experts in the field of sports nutrition and there is no evidence the products could cause such injuries.”

The company pointed to four studies just published in a peer-reviewed medical journal that showed DMAA products did not seem cause any negative effects to the blood, blood pressure or heart rate when taken by test subjects for a short period.

“We are confident that once the [Army] review is complete, the safety of our products will be confirmed,” Deschauer said.

The Army did not immediately say how long its safety review of DMAA could last.

The Army surgeon general has asked the Health Policy and Services Directorate and Army Public Health Command to review and validate the science regarding the supplement’s safety, according to Tolleson.

The military has recently warned that servicemembers could be at an increased risk of heart problems due to extreme physical exertion, especially downrange in mountainous Afghanistan.

The widespread use of fitness supplements such as DMAA that stimulate the metabolism and nervous system could increase the dangers of heart palpitations, dizziness and other heart conditions, physicians at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany and Brooke Army Medical Center in Texas said in January.

The first death with a potential link to DMAA occurred over the summer, the service said.

A 22-year-old soldier collapsed and died during a PT run with his unit. Then in the fall, a 32-year-old soldier collapsed at the same base after taking the Army physical fitness test and died after being hospitalized for one month, Tolleson said. The Army did not name the base where the soldiers were stationed.

“Both soldiers were performing PT with their units when they experienced cardiac arrest,” she said.

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ __________

It appears this recall really IS limited to military personell...for now.
It also seems to be more of a precautionary measure based on the "potential" role of DMMA's involvement in the two deaths.
While only conjecture on my part, I'll be very surprised if they are able to form a direct link; although, I won't be surprised if the U.S. government uses this as an excuse to regulate (ban) yet another health supplement.

Kilo Medic

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 06:31:46 PM »
Good finds!  Here's the closing of the second article you linked that sounds just like you surmised.  I hope this doesn't come true!

" Sources continue to point to a potential “mushroom-cloud event” for DMAA in the near future. What does a mushroom-cloud event look like? One could assume it looks like tragic deaths, followed by a product ban. Looks like a DMAA ban is on the horizon."

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 07:20:13 PM »

" What does a mushroom-cloud event look like? One could assume it looks like tragic deaths, followed by a product ban. Looks like a DMAA ban is on the horizon."

Exactly

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 03:44:31 PM »
I heard from my U.S. Airforce buddy today.
He asked around some, and according to him, DMMA is not banned for military members to take - except when in Basic Training or Tech School, as are all supps.
However, it will no longer be sold on any bases.

Kilo Medic

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 06:08:26 PM »
Still no more info from this end.  Guess if this is true, I can continue to order from online sources.  After my injury heals, I'll be back to it!