Author Topic: Best Mid Carder???  (Read 6622 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
Best Mid Carder???
« on: December 11, 2011, 10:58:50 AM »
Past or Present??

Always liked DOuble A Arn Anderson, can't recall him ever getting a World title shot.

How a bout Hall? I know he was a main eventer but can't recall him in any World Heavyweight matches...

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
Re: Best Mid Carder???
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 11:47:56 AM »
Past or Present??

Always liked DOuble A Arn Anderson, can't recall him ever getting a World title shot.

How a bout Hall? I know he was a main eventer but can't recall him in any World Heavyweight matches...

Some of his gimmicks got on my nerves, but I always thought that Mike Rotunda/Rotundo was a solid performer.  Tito Santana was another one I enjoyed watching.
~

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 03:11:07 PM »
Good call with CHico Bandana...makes me also think of Don Muraco

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 09:37:22 AM »
I don't really call someone who held multiple US/TV/world tag team titles a "mid-carder."  But if the whole criteria is never holding a world title i would put Wahoo McDaniels, Masked Superstar and Greg Valentine in that mix with Arn and Hall.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 10:33:29 AM »
Based on that criteria id also like to contribute a healthy Davey Boy Smith (WWF), always put in there with guys like Warlord, Barb etc but never got a major push. They gave him to Vader in WCW for ratings but he never came out as victor.

Dare i say Roddy Piper???

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 10:37:31 AM »
lance storm the way the wwe treated him was criminal. >:(
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 01:58:59 PM »

X 1,000,000

I really expected him to receive a HUGE push given the way they introduced him as the first former WCW player during the "Invasion" angle.
WTF happened?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 02:05:31 PM »

X 1,000,000

I really expected him to receive a HUGE push given the way they introduced him as the first former WCW player during the "Invasion" angle.
WTF happened?

Wonder if it was because of VKM's penchant for not pushing "smaller" guys?  Storm was in incredible shape, but was very short.  Jericho overcome the size thing by being so incredible on the mic, a skill that Lance really didn't have.  He was ok, but nothing special, on the mic.  In ring, he was one of my favs in ECW.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 02:15:35 PM »
Wonder if it was because of VKM's penchant for not pushing "smaller" guys?  Storm was in incredible shape, but was very short.  Jericho overcome the size thing by being so incredible on the mic, a skill that Lance really didn't have.  He was ok, but nothing special, on the mic.  In ring, he was one of my favs in ECW.

Oh, absolutely.
I always loved Lance Storm's work, and he's a very intelligent guy.

I never thought he was any worse on the stick than Benoit, and I found it vastly disappointing the way they utilized him.
I thought they might have found something for his character when they paired him with Regal, but I knew the writing was on the wall when he didn't work Mania that year.
How can you leave Curt Hennig and/or Lance Storm off of the WrestleMania card?

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 02:51:55 PM »
After reading Jericho's book, alot of WCW/ECW guys worked a certain way that was diferent then WWE's style which is why Jericho was in the dog house for a few yrs.

LLES

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 05:58:26 PM »
I always thought Perry Saturn was a solid performer,,,

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 07:49:29 PM »

I'll preach it everyday of the week!  Very under rated and a great work. 

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 07:52:15 PM »
Jerry Lynn

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 04:26:50 AM »

Oh, absolutely.
I always loved Lance Storm's work, and he's a very intelligent guy.

I never thought he was any worse on the stick than Benoit, and I found it vastly disappointing the way they utilized him.
I thought they might have found something for his character when they paired him with Regal, but I knew the writing was on the wall when he didn't work Mania that year.
How can you leave Curt Hennig and/or Lance Storm off of the WrestleMania card?

Remember when he first entered WCW and won 3 belts in his first week or 2.....crazy. I thought they were going to bill him as the next big thing.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 04:38:32 AM »
Remember when he first entered WCW and won 3 belts in his first week or 2.....crazy. I thought they were going to bill him as the next big thing.

It certainly looked that way...

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 08:44:36 AM »
Had a great physique as well. Would have loved to see him and Benoit mix it up...

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 11:53:13 AM »
am i missing the obvious or has everyone forgot about Hennig?

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 12:01:53 PM »
How about Rude? I know he held a world title either hwa or something but lost to sting in a short time

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 05:32:37 PM »
am i missing the obvious or has everyone forgot about Hennig?

I was going to mention Hennig, and did fight with the decision.
The dealbreaker for me was a mere technicality: he was the AWA Heavyweight Champ, which disqualifies him from mid-card status in my mind.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 05:57:33 PM »
He was never the Federation champ but he was a main event guy pretty much his entire career. Against Hogan, Warrior, teaming with Savage, and was Flairs executive consultant. I don't think he was a mid carder at all. 

Yeah, he was frequently working in a main-event program with someone.
He also restored an incredible amount of prestige to the I-C Belt, something that had been lost between Honky Tonk Man and Texas Tornado.

I'm both surprised and disappointed that the old man never put the big belt on Curt at some point.
I wonder why.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2011, 01:15:40 AM »

Yeah, he was frequently working in a main-event program with someone.
He also restored an incredible amount of prestige to the I-C Belt, something that had been lost between Honky Tonk Man and Texas Tornado.

I'm both surprised and disappointed that the old man never put the big belt on Curt at some point.
I wonder why.

Wasn't he in the WWF at the time only super musclemen got to wear the big belt?

Remember, Texas Tornado did beat Curt for the IC belt at the (I think) 1990 Summer Slam before dropping it back a couple months later. 
~

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 05:40:24 AM »
Wasn't he in the WWF at the time only super musclemen got to wear the big belt?

Remember, Texas Tornado did beat Curt for the IC belt at the (I think) 1990 Summer Slam before dropping it back a couple months later. 

Yeah; IMO, he caught the tail end of it.
Curt surfaced in WWF some time in ‘88 - during the “mass era” - and you could see that he became bigger once there. At one point, his arms & neck measured around 21 in.
But, by the time he won the I-C strap, Vince was already under federal investigation for steroid allegations.
That’s when smaller guys with better ring skills started receiving pushes like Shawn, Bret, etc.

I’ve always thought of Curt as Bret’s counterpart, although I gave Hennig a few more points in different areas.
But, I always felt that if Bret could wear the big belt, then Hennig was a shoe-in.
Unfortunately, I think Curt’s back problems kept him out of action at what would have been his most opportunistic time in the Fed.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2011, 08:36:44 AM »

Yeah; IMO, he caught the tail end of it.
Curt surfaced in WWF some time in ‘88 - during the “mass era” - and you could see that he became bigger once there. At one point, his arms & neck measured around 21 in.
But, by the time he won the I-C strap, Vince was already under federal investigation for steroid allegations.
That’s when smaller guys with better ring skills started receiving pushes like Shawn, Bret, etc.

I’ve always thought of Curt as Bret’s counterpart, although I gave Hennig a few more points in different areas.
But, I always felt that if Bret could wear the big belt, then Hennig was a shoe-in.
Unfortunately, I think Curt’s back problems kept him out of action at what would have been his most opportunistic time in the Fed.

Curt had the genetics, i remember talk of his father having a 24" neck and his natural athleticism shone through. Whether he really was 257lbs or not, he was a big guy with incredible athleticism and an unappreciated level of physical strength (see him apply the PerfectPlex to Big Show, unbelievable).

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 12:22:27 PM »
Kerry Von Erich did as well with what he had as anyone ever did, Owen Hart could have certainly been classed as the cream of mid carders also.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 05:44:27 PM »
Kerry Von Erich did as well with what he had as anyone ever did, Owen Hart could have certainly been classed as the cream of mid carders also.

Kerry never quite caught on in the Fed, but was an NWA h/w champion.
It sounded like he had some real "problems"/"issues," which isn't surprising considering his eventual suicide.