Author Topic: The old timers  (Read 2307 times)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
The old timers
« on: December 09, 2011, 05:30:10 AM »

Hey Karl..the old-time wrestling guys seems to be a very tight-knit fraternity....you must have seen and heard a lot i'm sure since your dad would hang out with some of the guys he wrestled with....tell us about how these guys got along and what they talked about...were there grudges?..stuff like that?...what did they love about the industry?..what did they complain about >?..what were their views of today's wrestling?

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
Re: The old timers
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 07:39:12 PM »

Hey Karl..the old-time wrestling guys seems to be a very tight-knit fraternity....you must have seen and heard a lot i'm sure since your dad would hang out with some of the guys he wrestled with....tell us about how these guys got along and what they talked about...were there grudges?..stuff like that?...what did they love about the industry?..what did they complain about >?..what were their views of today's wrestling?

One thing every single one of them bitches about was the promoters,  and how they made all the money and screwed the boys. There is a semi accurate story out there on the net about a particular payoff to my old man and Murdoch
from Watts that supposedly wasn't very good even though it was a stadium show.

One thing they all talked about was the fun they had on the road . There were grudges here and there,  but for the most part
they all seemed to get along very well. I can only think of two guys he didn't like.  He was closer to
some then others ( Murdoch,  Lewin,  Heenan,  DeBiase, Funk ) After wrestling and recently he was close with guys like Akbar,  Jake Roberts,  Johnny Mantel,  Killer Brooks,  and Stan Hansen, many who spoke at his service.

They all had the same opinion on the business today,  they hated it and wanted nothing to do with it. "Too many bumps and high spots they would say. " or "there's no kayfabe in the
business anymore. "

My dad said  "I was twenty years too late." when it came to the
money. But I think his favorite part of wrestling was traveling over seas he loved Japan and Australia.

Everyone of them has said they wouldn't have changed it for the world.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 09:20:42 PM »
One thing every single one of them bitches about was the promoters,  and how they made all the money and screwed the boys. There is a semi accurate story out there on the net about a particular payoff to my old man and Murdoch
from Watts that supposedly wasn't very good even though it was a stadium show.

One thing they all talked about was the fun they had on the road . There were grudges here and there,  but for the most part
they all seemed to get along very well. I can only think of two guys he didn't like.  He was closer to
some then others ( Murdoch,  Lewin,  Heenan,  DeBiase, Funk ) After wrestling and recently he was close with guys like Akbar,  Jake Roberts,  Johnny Mantel,  Killer Brooks,  and Stan Hansen, many who spoke at his service.

They all had the same opinion on the business today,  they hated it and wanted nothing to do with it. "Too many bumps and high spots they would say. " or "there's no kayfabe in the
business anymore. "

My dad said  "I was twenty years too late." when it came to the
money. But I think his favorite part of wrestling was traveling over seas he loved Japan and Australia.

Everyone of them has said they wouldn't have changed it for the world.

very  nice stories, Karl.....and about how much did the old time guys make in a typical show?...were they paid more if they were popular?.....were they taken care of medically for all the bumps and bruises they suffered?....how about their nicknames....did they make up their own or did the promoters name your dad "killer"?

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 06:00:13 AM »
About the pay I guess it depends on who you were and who you were working for.  I've heard stories of guys driving all day just for twenty bucks. In the height  of my dads career he was making about two grand a week. Good money for the time.  But he was also busting his ass and working for four different territories at one time. He would get paid more for overseas trips.  But he might be gone for months at a time.  One time he was in Australia for nine months. I'm that was the kind thing that lead to his first divorce.  Murdoch was married four times.

Something I didn't know,  Terry Funk told me when my dad died that his dad and mine started the first insurance for wrestlers if they got hurt. Five percent was taken form their pay and the promoters would match it.

As far as his name goes.  When he started wrestling,  just doing jobs he wrestled as Herb Gerwig,  his real name.  The Sheik saw potential in him and hooked him.up with promoter Joe Dusek who said people wont pay to see Herb Gerwig,  but they might pay to see killer Carl Cox. And that's how he got his name.  When he stated working in Texas he changed it to all K's for to get heat with the ethnic crowds.  It worked.  At one point early in his career he was even told by one promoter to wrestle as Don Gehrig,  Lou's brother.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 01:51:04 PM »
Good topic and stuff.

Karl, can you remember any specific angles that the guys laughed about that they had to work?

the road stories are always what interests me the most.  any and all you care to share would be appreciated.  And you know me, I prefer the 70's and 80's stuff anyway.  :)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 02:01:10 PM »
Karl:
Tell them the story about your Dad, Watts, and the Hershey bar!!

;D ;D ;D

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 06:26:07 PM »
Karl:
Tell them the story about your Dad, Watts, and the Hershey bar!!

;D ;D ;D

The story is in Herman's book,  maybe Dusty's too for more accurate account.  I'm sure he was working for Watts he loved to give him a hard time,  not sure who he was working with though.

When my dad broke into the business in the late 50's he would really study guys like the Gallagher brothers who were very violent,  but mixed comedy in their matches,  he would copy them in both ways his whole career.

So one night before he goes to the ring he sticks a Hershey bar down the back of his tights.  He wrestles the whole time with it back there and lets it get good and melted.  He then instructs his opponent to hive him an atomic drop. He sells the shit out of it, did a funny little walk across the ring,  stopped and got a very concerned look on his face.  Then held his stomach looked at the crowed like 'oh no' then ran his his hand down the back of his tights and pulled out what the crowd thought was a hand full of shit. Smelled it,  and then yes he licked it. The fans were disgusted and started leaving.  

Its said now he was wearing white tights but that's not true he used to claim he was fired for it which I doubt.    

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 04:06:48 AM »
The story is in Herman's book,  maybe Dusty's too for more accurate account.  I'm sure he was working for Watts he loved to give him a hard time,  not sure who he was working with though.

When my dad broke into the business in the late 50's he would really study guys like the Gallagher brothers who were very violent,  but mixed comedy in their matches,  he would copy them in both ways his whole career.

So one night before he goes to the ring he sticks a Hershey bar down the back of his tights.  He wrestles the whole time with it back there and lets it get good and melted.  He then instructs his opponent to hive him an atomic drop. He sells the shit out of it, did a funny little walk across the ring,  stopped and got a very concerned look on his face.  Then held his stomach looked at the crowed like 'oh no' then ran his his hand down the back of his tights and pulled out what the crowd thought was a hand full of shit. Smelled it,  and then yes he licked it. The fans were disgusted and started leaving.  

Its said now he was wearing white tights but that's not true he used to claim he was fired for it which I doubt.    

I love that story.
I believe Heenan was the first person I heard tell it, and he said the place was going crazy!!

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 07:12:02 PM »
About the pay I guess it depends on who you were and who you were working for.  I've heard stories of guys driving all day just for twenty bucks. In the height  of my dads career he was making about two grand a week. Good money for the time.  But he was also busting his ass and working for four different territories at one time. He would get paid more for overseas trips.  But he might be gone for months at a time.  One time he was in Australia for nine months. I'm that was the kind thing that lead to his first divorce.  Murdoch was married four times.

Something I didn't know,  Terry Funk told me when my dad died that his dad and mine started the first insurance for wrestlers if they got hurt. Five percent was taken form their pay and the promoters would match it.

As far as his name goes.  When he started wrestling,  just doing jobs he wrestled as Herb Gerwig,  his real name.  The Sheik saw potential in him and hooked him.up with promoter Joe Dusek who said people wont pay to see Herb Gerwig,  but they might pay to see killer Carl Cox. And that's how he got his name.  When he stated working in Texas he changed it to all K's for to get heat with the ethnic crowds.  It worked.  At one point early in his career he was even told by one promoter to wrestle as Don Gehrig,  Lou's brother.

The three K thing never dawned on me.  I assume that got him some serious heat!

I love the Hersey story!