Author Topic: Lesnar v Overeem  (Read 4505 times)

coltrane

• Getbig IV
Lesnar v Overeem
« on: December 16, 2011, 07:35:48 AM »
Well, the 30th is upon us MMA fans!  Pretty sweet fight coming up.  I'm excited to see Reem fight in the octagon I gotta admit!

I do however seeing the bullrush and vicious power and GNP of Lesnar to be way too much for Overeem to handle.  If Lesnar is smart and doesn't get lulled into a striking match with Overeem, I see this being over by round two. 

Lesnar by GNP TKO--round two.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
Re: Lesnar v Overeem
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 07:26:15 PM »
Lesnar for the win, gnp round 1 1 min left 8)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
"If" Lesnar can take him to the ground and control him, he has a chance.  Whats far more likely to happen is Lesnar takes a few shots from a world -class striker (better striker then both Cain and Carwin) and starts going into his famous "Death Clutch" and gets tko'ed.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 10:29:48 AM »
Lesnar seems very good at countering strikes with a takedown but when hes against people who are extremely heavy handed he goes into survival mode from the off. If he can avoid the knees, slip a punch and manage to get Overeem down then he'll crush him from there however if he rushes in theres every chance of him being TKO'd or worse within 60 seconds.

I desperately want Lesnar to win because im a fan of his & i've never bought into the Overeem hype, but Overeem is the perfect guy to pick apart a desperate Lesnar with strikes.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 12:42:13 PM »
Lesnar seems very good at countering strikes with a takedown but when hes against people who are extremely heavy handed he goes into survival mode from the off. If he can avoid the knees, slip a punch and manage to get Overeem down then he'll crush him from there however if he rushes in theres every chance of him being TKO'd or worse within 60 seconds.

I desperately want Lesnar to win because im a fan of his & i've never bought into the Overeem hype, but Overeem is the perfect guy to pick apart a desperate Lesnar with strikes.
I think Lesnar is good for mma.  He needs this win badly, because people (myself included) are starting to question his status as a top heavyweight.  Right now I put him behind JDS,Cain, and Overeem.  Remember he was getting smashed by Carwin before he blew his load, and he still is 1-1 against Mir.  It's time for Lesnar to prove he is not overrated.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 01:34:03 PM »
I think Lesnar is good for mma.  He needs this win badly, because people (myself included) are starting to question his status as a top heavyweight.  Right now I put him behind JDS,Cain, and Overeem.  Remember he was getting smashed by Carwin before he blew his load, and he still is 1-1 against Mir.  It's time for Lesnar to prove he is not overrated.

I like you as a poster, you dont take personal offence when opinions differ and try to state your beliefs in a sensible & justified manner.

Hes definitely not overrated but hes not the unbeatable machine he was hyped up to be. The way i see it he schooled everyone until Carwin, Mir's offence in 2 fights amounted to a jumping knee and his submission in the first fight. Brock absolutely killed him every other moment and Mir knows it. He played safe against Shane and, ultimately, could have raped him in round 2 had he chosen to but decided to  submit him in a somewhat gentlemanly fashion. Had that been Frank i fully believe he'd have done his best to smash his skull in.

To even be able to take the beating Carwin gave him and then jump up smiling says enough to me about his ability to take punishment, just because a man doesnt like to be hit it doesnt mean he cant take a good crack on the chin and i doubt he'll fight anyone - Cigano included - that hits harder than Shane. Cain's assault on him would have destroyed most other guys but he wasnt out cold but was soundly beaten. Im not convinced he was 100% but he lost in devastating fashion and still had my respect for how he took it.

I have him behind JDS & Cain but ahead of Overeem, i hope im right in my assumption come fight night.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 02:47:46 PM »
I like you as a poster, you dont take personal offence when opinions differ and try to state your beliefs in a sensible & justified manner.

Hes definitely not overrated but hes not the unbeatable machine he was hyped up to be. The way i see it he schooled everyone until Carwin, Mir's offence in 2 fights amounted to a jumping knee and his submission in the first fight. Brock absolutely killed him every other moment and Mir knows it. He played safe against Shane and, ultimately, could have raped him in round 2 had he chosen to but decided to  submit him in a somewhat gentlemanly fashion. Had that been Frank i fully believe he'd have done his best to smash his skull in.

To even be able to take the beating Carwin gave him and then jump up smiling says enough to me about his ability to take punishment, just because a man doesnt like to be hit it doesnt mean he cant take a good crack on the chin and i doubt he'll fight anyone - Cigano included - that hits harder than Shane. Cain's assault on him would have destroyed most other guys but he wasnt out cold but was soundly beaten. Im not convinced he was 100% but he lost in devastating fashion and still had my respect for how he took it.

I have him behind JDS & Cain but ahead of Overeem, i hope im right in my assumption come fight night.
I hope it's a good fight that doesn't last 30 seconds (either way) The longer the fight goes, it definately favors Lesnar.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 05:09:03 PM »

I've said this before, Lesnar has been punched in the face by Carwin and Cain and hasn't been ko'd, Cain also landed a pretty brutal knee against the cage if I remember right......anyways, it's a huge mental issue that I don't know if Lesnar can overcome, being punched in the face. I think if he acually was able to overcome that and work on his stand up he could dominate the division. However experience shows that a guy afraid to be hit as Lesnar is, is highly unlikely to overcome such an issue.

I fear Lesnar is doomed but I am rooting for him to prove the haters wrong.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 02:13:18 PM »
  I really hope Lesnar has worked on his standup, because Overeem in the past few months has been working on nothing but his takedown defenses, and if Lesnar can't take him down in the first minute and Overeem clinches with him and uses the Uberknee, it is over. I also can't see Lesnar enduring Overeem's powerful kicks to his ribs and temples for long given what I saw in his fights against Carwin and Velasquez.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 03:51:26 PM »
I'm just interested to see how Lesnar recovered from having a foot of his colon taken out! The man isn't scared of anything. He seeks out the baddest men on the earth never backs down from a fight. He might not like to get hit because he hasn't had enough experience.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
There was a small a few weeks ago about Nik Lentz tapping him via guillotine in training once, so next go Brock threw him across the gym like a rag doll.  He's vulnerable and thats my primary concern but what he does have in abundance is power and size. His GnP is unorthodox but by Christ it gets the job done.

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 04:20:11 PM »
There was a small a few weeks ago about Nik Lentz tapping him via guillotine in training once, so next go Brock threw him across the gym like a rag doll.  He's vulnerable and thats my primary concern but what he does have in abundance is power and size. His GnP is unorthodox but by Christ it gets the job done.

You think he has retained all the power and size? It's to bad he had to get sick like that with the proper training he would of been at the top of the heap for a long time.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 05:30:25 PM »
I honestly think he's a long way passed his physical prime, theres no way he's the same animal after whats happened to him. Hes still a huge mofo but i cant see him being as big or as strong as he was, but im absoutely certain that he still has enough in the tank to still manhandle even the big guys. The whole thing about this fight is their strengths are each others weaknesses and we know how each guy can win - but whos gonna get the first chance?! I really cant wait to see it go down, minimum of 2 action packed rounds and ill be delighted.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 06:54:32 AM »
I honestly think he's a long way passed his physical prime, theres no way he's the same animal after whats happened to him. Hes still a huge mofo but i cant see him being as big or as strong as he was, but im absoutely certain that he still has enough in the tank to still manhandle even the big guys. The whole thing about this fight is their strengths are each others weaknesses and we know how each guy can win - but whos gonna get the first chance?! I really cant wait to see it go down, minimum of 2 action packed rounds and ill be delighted.
He has definately proved that he is a tough son of a bitch thats for sure.  Someone needs to tell him that when you retreat from strikes, it sends the opponent the signal to go in for the kill.  Everyone uses Brock smashing Mir when they say that Mir has no shot in a third fight even though its 1-1.  I will use the same thing in Brock's fight with Carwin.  It was Carwin who lost that fight more then Brock won it.  A win is a win though.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 12:33:58 PM »
There are a lot of unknowns in this bout.  Has Lesnar truly recovered from his health issues?  Has he had enough time to get back into true fighting form?  Will he be able to impose his strength/power on an opponent who is just as big as him?  Does he have the cardio to get through 2 rounds?

As for Alistar, he has a lot of unknowns as well. His mother is very sick and in the middle of his training camp he's had to fly out to be with her.  He has all sorts of drug tests being imposed on him by the athletic commission.  Will he pass them all?  If so, will it be at the expense of being forced to come "off" and consequently not be as big/powerful?  Will he be able to stuff Lesnar's take down? 

This fight has a lot of potential, but even if it does happen, my gut tells me it will disappoint.  Hard to imagine it getting out of the 1st round...
w

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 12:38:40 PM »

You know, when Lesnar took that beating from Carwin, he never really got rocked.  It looked a lot worse than it actually was.  Lesnar did a great job of defending himself and Carwin did a shitty job of hitting with accuracy.

If Alistar lands a flush knee or straight punch, I don't see Lesnar being able to shake it off.  Who knows.  If both guys show up in top shape without injuries and mentally there, it will be a great battle. 
w

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 12:51:47 PM »
I think he certainly felt the power and it scared him enough to curl up and hope for the best. When a man hits as hard as Shane then even if youre covering up repeated blows will hurt like hell. But what i can say is that Randy had Brock slightly concerned and Mir rocked him bad with that knee and neither man can strike anywhere near the level of Overeem. Brock can definitely be knocked out in this fight if he is caught rushing - Igor V. did it perfectly alot of years ago by catching a wrestler - Nick Nutter (?) with a knee to the jaw as Nutter came shooting in. Surprised i havent seen more of that move.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 08:44:29 PM »
I think he certainly felt the power and it scared him enough to curl up and hope for the best. When a man hits as hard as Shane then even if youre covering up repeated blows will hurt like hell. But what i can say is that Randy had Brock slightly concerned and Mir rocked him bad with that knee and neither man can strike anywhere near the level of Overeem. Brock can definitely be knocked out in this fight if he is caught rushing - Igor V. did it perfectly alot of years ago by catching a wrestler - Nick Nutter (?) with a knee to the jaw as Nutter came shooting in. Surprised i havent seen more of that move.
Tons of people have said this and I have yet to see any video, even though I watched the fight. :-\

Cain tagged Lesnar with a hard knee also, honestly I don't think Lesnar was rocked, I think it was fear in both the Mir case and Cain.....he's just scared to be hit. If Overatedeem can put him down, a nice solid KO, I would be impressed. If Overatedeem scapes by with a ref stoppage TKO not so much.

I would wager that Overeems tactic is going to be to try to flurry punch Brock into being scared and retreating like he has and overwhelm him so the ref stops the fight.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 05:33:51 AM »
Tons of people have said this and I have yet to see any video, even though I watched the fight. :-\

Cain tagged Lesnar with a hard knee also, honestly I don't think Lesnar was rocked, I think it was fear in both the Mir case and Cain.....he's just scared to be hit. If Overatedeem can put him down, a nice solid KO, I would be impressed. If Overatedeem scapes by with a ref stoppage TKO not so much.

I would wager that Overeems tactic is going to be to try to flurry punch Brock into being scared and retreating like he has and overwhelm him so the ref stops the fight.

I dont think he was rocked, but the fact that Randy cut him seemed to panic Brock in some way as im sure he thought nobody could hurt him at all.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 08:00:10 AM »
I don't think being cut will bother him anymore....being punched in the face may make him turtle up though. ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 08:04:39 AM »
This is a 5rnd fight right? Who does it favor if they go into rnd 3+?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 08:14:42 AM »
This is a 5rnd fight right? Who does it favor if they go into rnd 3+?

Brocks cardio used to be excellent and he'd have had no problem going the 25 minutes but i dont know how it rates just now. Overeem will likely gas IMO so id give the edge to Brock - if he doesnt manage to punch himself out a la Carwin

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 10:28:30 PM »
the longer it lasts i think the better off lesnar will be. guys have trouble coming into the ufc. even though overeem has a ton of experience guys have trouble coming over to the ufc for some reason. its possible that overeem will gas out
irongearco.com

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 06:07:04 AM »
And the fans in the UFC will be behind Lesnar in this one.  That adds a ton imo. 

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 09:46:11 AM »
The more I think about it, the more I realize that this fight is a complete mismatch.  Look at Lesnars last two fights.  He was demolished by Carwin and had Carwin not gassed out, Lesanr would have lost.  And in his fight with Cain, he got completely smoked.  Now he is up against a fighter that is just as big as him, and who is the elite striker in the HW division.  The only chance Lesnar has, is to get the take down an I'm sure Alistar is not going to just sit there and let it happen.

I am actually hoping and pulling for Lesnar, but I'm going with Overrem with a R1 TKO...
w