Author Topic: Bob Roop  (Read 4649 times)

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
Bob Roop
« on: December 16, 2011, 09:20:54 PM »
Very underated in my book, just throwing that out there.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: Bob Roop
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 07:22:54 PM »
Liked following him in Georgia, Florida and mid-south in the 80's.  Obviously an awesome worker and I liked his heel work.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 12:43:13 PM »
Very underated in my book, just throwing that out there.

i reme,ber him from florida wrestling around the time of the briscos, he was an all state hs wrestler also.  he was known as the gladiator till hr got unmasked.
F

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 03:40:07 AM »
Roop stretches a noob, wanna-be. Bob was Eddie Grahams shooter.
After a while, Bob gave it up 'cause he didnt like doing that to people.

Some rare footage:

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 08:27:26 AM »

Some rare footage:

good find dave that was pretty brutal. at least he didn't break his leg like the guy did to hulk hogan  when he was still terry bolea trying to break into the business.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 01:04:35 PM »

Some rare footage:

Thanks, man.
I LOVE this kind of footage!
It would have been fun to watch him and Billy Robinson go at it in the ring. You just KNOW that would have turned into a shoot from the word, "go!"

Also, I don't know much at all about Roop, but wasn't he credited with inventing the "reversal" of the figure-four?

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 01:58:27 AM »
good find dave that was pretty brutal. at least he didn't break his leg like the guy did to hulk hogan  when he was still terry bolea trying to break into the business.

Funk, yes, thats why a lot of old timers give Hulk credit.
He came back after his broken leg and wanted it...

Didnt run away like a lot of 'em did...

~Dave

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 05:09:51 PM »

Thanks, man.
I LOVE this kind of footage!
It would have been fun to watch him and Billy Robinson go at it in the ring. You just KNOW that would have turned into a shoot from the word, "go!"

Also, I don't know much at all about Roop, but wasn't he credited with inventing the "reversal" of the figure-four?

I've always wondered that if someone actually started throwing punches, who would be the best shooter of the modern era?  I mean it's all fine and well to have an "agreement" to not do certain things as someone is stretching you and essentially dislocating your shoulder, but who would be the man if it turned completely real in the ring?  Not interested in Meng as it seems most of his stuff was in bars... haha

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 06:45:36 PM »
I've always wondered that if someone actually started throwing punches, who would be the best shooter of the modern era?  I mean it's all fine and well to have an "agreement" to not do certain things as someone is stretching you and essentially dislocating your shoulder, but who would be the man if it turned completely real in the ring?  Not interested in Meng as it seems most of his stuff was in bars... haha

Do you mean if it turned into a genuine battle of skill as opposed to a brawl?
I would go with Angle.
At least now, I'd say probably. A few years ago, I would have said almost definitely.

The guy was in phenomenal physical shape, disciplined, had a great mind for fighting, and possessed tremendous skill.
He cleaned up with Brock during an impromptu backstage shoot.
All things considered, I'd lay my money on Kurt.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 11:15:47 AM »

Do you mean if it turned into a genuine battle of skill as opposed to a brawl?
I would go with Angle.
At least now, I'd say probably. A few years ago, I would have said almost definitely.

The guy was in phenomenal physical shape, disciplined, had a great mind for fighting, and possessed tremendous skill.
He cleaned up with Brock during an impromptu backstage shoot.
All things considered, I'd lay my money on Kurt.

Angle is a great choice.  i was thinking along the lines of rather than like the guy above in the vid who obviously wasn't going to 'really" fight back against Roop, how about if someone started getting stretched and just punched the guy in the face?  haha.   I'm not at all impressed with someone, like the older vets did, who would teach a lesson by dislocating shoulders, etc... to a guy who was not going to really fight back at all because he knew he wouldn't get a job if he did.  If that makes any sense.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 12:38:33 PM »
Angle is a great choice.  i was thinking along the lines of rather than like the guy above in the vid who obviously wasn't going to 'really" fight back against Roop, how about if someone started getting stretched and just punched the guy in the face?  haha.   I'm not at all impressed with someone, like the older vets did, who would teach a lesson by dislocating shoulders, etc... to a guy who was not going to really fight back at all because he knew he wouldn't get a job if he did.  If that makes any sense.

Okay, I think I'm more in line with you, now.
Yeah, shooters taking liberties with jabronies was a common theme until fairly recently, IMO. Iron Sheik and Billy Robinson both had reputations for doing this. Other legit toughies would get pissed when their part-time jobber opponent couldn't do the spots they wanted, so they would stretch and stiff the shit out of them in frustration.

I don't know too much about the guys of this current era, but you don't hear the kinds of stories about them that you did concerning guys from the 60's-80's. Of course, these days, 75% of the stuff they did back then will get you a criminal record and costly legal fees. But, I also think that today's generation, in general, is "softer."

The most recent guys who could probably stick it out in the ring that come to my mind are Steiner, Meng (sorry), I would still say Angle because of his hooking skills and conditioning - many fights go to the floor anyway, and Ron Simmons and Bradshaw, both of whom Vince used as locker room "enforcers."

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 04:33:54 PM »

Okay, I think I'm more in line with you, now.
Yeah, shooters taking liberties with jabronies was a common theme until fairly recently, IMO. Iron Sheik and Billy Robinson both had reputations for doing this. Other legit toughies would get pissed when their part-time jobber opponent couldn't do the spots they wanted, so they would stretch and stiff the shit out of them in frustration.

I don't know too much about the guys of this current era, but you don't hear the kinds of stories about them that you did concerning guys from the 60's-80's. Of course, these days, 75% of the stuff they did back then will get you a criminal record and costly legal fees. But, I also think that today's generation, in general, is "softer."

The most recent guys who could probably stick it out in the ring that come to my mind are Steiner, Meng (sorry), I would still say Angle because of his hooking skills and conditioning - many fights go to the floor anyway, and Ron Simmons and Bradshaw, both of whom Vince used as locker room "enforcers."

Solid group too.  Yeah, the stuff that went on then to make sure someone could "cut it" in the business would surely get someone in trouble.

I would put Steven Regal in that group too.  I remember reading that he started out as a carnie in England and would face whoever from the crowd wanted to and often the crowd member would get pissed and start trying to fight him and he would crush them... I think he was only 16 at the time.  Funny how different his in-ring persona has always been.

Someone from the old-school should write a book on the shooters and legit tough guys with all the stories grouped together.  I would pay full cover price for it in advance.