Author Topic: Meet The 4 Bush Vacations That Were Longer than Obama’s Christmas  (Read 2819 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
I don't remember our board right wingers getting their panties in a twist over this

http://www.politicususa.com/en/obama-bush-christmas-vacation

Republicans are outraged over Obama’s 17 day Christmas vacation, but George W. Bush took at least 4 vacations that were longer than Obama’s including one scheduled for five weeks in August 2005.

The right has been using the payroll tax extension against Obama by claiming that he is going on a long Christmas vacation while the middle class suffers. (The White House has stated that the vacation may be delayed if the payroll tax extension is not passed. What’s most interesting is that Obama’s Christmas break isn’t that long or unprecedented.

George W.Bush’s August 2005 vacation which was scheduled for five weeks, but was cut short by two days due to Hurricane Katrina, was at the time the longest presidential vacation in 36 years. As the Washington Post wrote, “The president departed Tuesday for his longest stretch yet away from the White House, arriving at his Crawford ranch in the evening to clear brush, visit with family and friends, and tend to some outside-the-Beltway politics. By historical standards, it is the longest presidential retreat in at least 36 years.” Bush’s advisers had grown sensitive to the charges that the president was on vacation too much so they sprinkled some day events into his vacation calendar.

In August 2002, Bush took a 25 day vacation away from the White House that was once again sprinkled with day trips to make it look like the president was still working, but after these little trips, he always returned to Crawford not D.C. At the time The LA Times wrote, “Administration officials clearly are sensitive to any criticism that Bush’s 25-day break at his ranch near Crawford, Texas, is too long, given the economy and the threat of terrorism.” Bush also went on vacation for a month in August of 2003.

The most infamous of all Bush vacations was the 27 day break he took in August of 2001, one month before the 9/11 attacks. In August 2001, the AP wrote, “President Bush seems to bolt from the White House every chance he gets. He begins a month-long vacation on his Texas ranch today, and by the time he returns he will have spent nearly two months of his presidency there. And that doesn’t include the many weekends he’s spent at Camp David, the presidential retreat in Maryland’s Catoctin Mountains.”

Then we have the case of Ronald Reagan who took a 25 day vacation in August 1983 while unemployment was at 9.5%. The Washington Post wrote, “The negative news coverage that the president abhors was a topic of discussion at a White House breakfast the day before Reagan left on his present 25-day trip, the 17th stopover at his ranch since his election.” The GOP deified Ronald Reagan once took a 25 day vacation, but Obama can’t have 17 days off for Christmas with his family.

Obama has spent fewer days on vacation than Bush or Reagan, and it is likely that his 2011 Christmas break will be delayed just as his 2010 Christmas vacation was. President Obama said that he will not go on vacation until Congress passes an extension of the payroll tax cut. Obama doesn’t need the working vacation cover story that was utilized by both Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush. The difference between Obama and his Republican predecessors is that he is going to stay on the job until the work is done.

In this day and age the president can work from anywhere, but every time Republicans try to make political hay out of Obama going on vacation it only serves to remind the American people that Barack Obama is willing to delay his vacation in order to do right by them

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Re: Meet The 4 Bush Vacations That Were Longer than Obama’s Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 01:20:29 PM »
Were we $15+ trillion in debt with U6 over 18% when Bush was president?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 01:21:44 PM »
the ole bush excuse. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 01:22:30 PM »
How stupid is that?   ::)  This man is supposed to be about change.  Not doing business as usual.  Obama-bots are funny.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 01:22:56 PM »
the ole bush excuse. 

Coming to a presidential debate near you in 2012. 

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 01:23:32 PM »
For how much liberals like Straw Man hated everything about Bush they sure love using him as a measuring stick for Obama.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 01:24:28 PM »
For how much liberals like Straw Man hated everything about Bush they sure love using him as a measuring stick for Obama.

The irony is lost on obamabots. 

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 01:25:23 PM »
The irony is lost on obamabots. 

They're just incredibly stupid people.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 01:26:02 PM »
the stuff you right wingers bitch and moan about is hilarious

I guess it's a good distraction for a few days from that cast of clowns you have running for the Republican nomination

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 01:27:08 PM »
the ole bush excuse. 

and Reagan too

don't forgot  your Lord and Saviour

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 01:27:27 PM »
the stuff you right wingers bitch and moan about is hilarious

I guess it's a good distraction for a few days from that cast of clowns you have running for the Republican nomination

Why are you such a fucking hypocrite? There is no one on this board that defended Bush's shortcomings with the vigor you have for defending Obama's. You're easily one of the most pathetic sheeple I've ever seen.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 01:29:37 PM »
Why are you such a fucking hypocrite? There is no one on this board that defended Bush's shortcomings with the vigor you have for defending Obama's. You're easily one of the most pathetic sheeple I've ever seen.

Bush left office in shame and disgust by both parties w approval in the high 20's.    That is the standard obamabots hold the messiah too. 

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 01:30:33 PM »
Bush left office in shame and disgust by both parties w approval in the high 20's.    That is the standard obamabots hold the messiah too. 

It's pretty funny. They'll argue that Bush was the worst president in this country's history and then three posts later defend Obama by using something Bush did as an excuse.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 01:31:49 PM »

try to pay attention (ok I know you can't but at least make an effort)

I have spent more time on this board criticizing Obama than defending him

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 01:35:40 PM »
I guess "change" meant not taking vacations ::)

Like I said, it's only ok for repub presidents to take vacations, otherwise we must nit pick like obsessed hate filled robots.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 01:39:51 PM »

Like I said, it's only ok for repub presidents to take vacations, otherwise we must nit pick like obsessed hate filled robots.

LMFAO!!!   It's the hypocrisy stupid.   Obama is screaming about the top one percent, income disparity, etc and then goes n multi million dollar extravaganzas?    guy please! 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 01:43:48 PM »
Get with it!

Change meant NOT taking vacations!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 01:46:22 PM »

I think that has been pretty well established

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 01:46:55 PM »
Get with it!

Change meant NOT taking vacations!

So what is change then?    Obamacare?   Fast n Furious?   Solyndra? Communist czars?   24/7 divisive bs?   Economic illiteracy?  

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 01:47:57 PM »
So you suck Wall Streets dick big time despite the bailouts bonuses etc and keep screaming about the american dream and that we cant punish succes bla bla bla.. :-X

..but our president the leader of our country, like him or not, cant go vacation and spend money ??? Are you a commie or just hypocritical?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 01:49:32 PM »
So you suck Wall Streets dick big time despite the bailouts bonuses etc and keep screaming about the american dream and that we cant punish succes bla bla bla.. :-X

..but our president the leader of our country, like him or not, cant go vacation and spend money ??? Are you a commie or just hypocritical?

What?   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 01:49:54 PM »

333 is most definitely a commie

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 01:50:47 PM »
I don't remember our board right wingers getting their panties in a twist over this

I wasn't around back then, but I've got no problem saying that Bush took way too much vacation time and wasted way too much taxpayer money.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2011, 01:54:17 PM »
So what is change then?    Obamacare?   Fast n Furious?   Solyndra? Communist czars?   24/7 divisive bs?   Economic illiteracy?  

Why are yu subject changing again?

President should not take vacations!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2011, 01:55:54 PM »
Why are yu subject changing again?

President should not take vacations!

Not now for sure!    we have not had a budget in three years, the economy is in the toilet, etc. 

Let Obama get a budget done and then he should go away     

Anyone else would get fired immediately for this malfeasance in office.